The Natives Are Restless

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 26, 2019

I don’t usually post articles (I’m more of a *post tweets* kind of guy) but this is good at answering a lot of the questions that get brought up here. I’m no Pavlovic fan, he blocked me on twitter years ago. Still, a good read. I was especially disturbed by his comment that “Belt has a lot of fans in the revamped front office….”

Personally, I am in a weird place as a Giants fan. The warm glow of the 3in5 supernova has worn off. Basking ended years ago. But I’m also not so starved for championships that I’m wallowing in angst and self pity over the team not being very good. Zaidi probably loves fans like me, I can wait on this…

1. chipower9 said, on December 26, 2019 at 8:08 am

I am with you, Flav. While the basking has worn-off some, there will always be some of that left…how can there NOT be when your team won three World Series titles across five years (rhetorical question).

But my expectations are very low. I think Z is one smart motherfucker, and I get it that it will be 2021 or maybe even 2022 before the team is competitive, so I will not be one of the ones chomping at the bit, and complaining about what the team’s leadership has or hasn’t done.

Meanwhile, there’s a shitload of college football to pass the time. I run a pool every year where each player picks all bowl games against the spread. Always adds to the time of year and interest in the games.

All the best to my Flapper brothers.

2. willedav said, on December 26, 2019 at 8:15 am

I saw SD Rockets play at the SD sports arena with World B (aka Lloyd) Free before he came here. Got carded for beer too couldn’t believe it.
    Mac is right that book on ABA is fantastic. In his bio Julius Erving talks about trying to figure out who how when he’d get paid.

Funny thing is, as bad as Giants might be lack of talent gets Kapler off the hook.

Saw “The Irishman” last night, well done. But get comfortable because it’s very long and ending especially seemed drawn out.

3. chipower9 said, on December 26, 2019 at 8:21 am

In the article you posted Flav, my favorite was the last question/answer. So, I will take it for what it is, and enjoy seeing if any of the kids can be viable pieces for the rebuild/future.

4. Flavor said, on December 26, 2019 at 8:29 am

If we get to see Bart and Ramos play for a stretch that might make 2020 worth it. Seeing your best young talent come up is exciting and way cooler than just some random young dudes who come up with little to no fanfare.

5. willedav said, on December 26, 2019 at 8:39 am

Thx for posting that but man Pavs is FOS. Selling off Belt and Craw are 2 things that have to happen so you can open up the positions for younger more athletic players. Selling low? Of course you are because they’ve sucked for couple years now. Why wait any longer? I’d rather watch Shaw/Garcia or retread with some pop.
    that comment about new hire analyticos being high on Belt is disturbing. I doubt Belt listens to the biomechanics people who want to change his swing yada yada. He’s gonna do what he’s gonna do, period.

Ramos and Bart likely don’t show up until trade deadline at earliest, maybe not til August. Ramos did not hit well after his promotion vs. AA pitching. Pavs also mentions Duggar, who has sucked when he hasn’t been hurt and doesn’t have much power. Slater, who also doesn’t have much power, might be better hitter in long run.

Btw Pillar Sando and Vogt Giants lost 45 HRs off last year, when power and slugging was among worst in entire league…and has been replaced by whom???????????

6. gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 8:47 am

Winning the first WS was such an emotional high and the next two were extra sweet desserts or gravy however you prefer to look at your post Xmas food preferences…so I am not as emotionally engaged on the championship part of this (the Dubs winning 3 also lessens the emotional must win obsession) whole thing. Plus I dont live back home in the Bay Area so less of a daily part of my life. Also my oldest son and biggest Giants/Dubs/Niners/Sharks fan is junior in college so dont have that obsessive fanhood to share daily.

Only thing I am more emotionally wanting to see now is the Niners return to glory. I would not be upset not winning this year because think a Super Bowl win is close but also still pissed about Kaepernick throwing our 6th super bowl away…we need a 6th super bowl to match the Patriots and Steelers…

• zumiee said, on December 26, 2019 at 8:55 am

The play-calling at the end of that game was crap. You’re literally the first person I’ve ever heard blaming Kap at the end of the game. He was asked to repeatedly throw jump balls at the edge of the endzone to a well-covered receiver. A complete lack of imagination by the coaching at the end.

• gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:32 am

I dont disagree about the play-calling but Fuck Kapernick..:) still the one who threw it…Montana would not have blown that!!!

• unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:33 am

How did we score all those points getting to that spot?

7. unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:06 am

Wow. Lots of ground to cover. Fermi Paradox notwithstanding, distance and time seem to negate the possibility of ever finding anyone else in this universe or any other parallel one. If you can travel at or close to the speed of light, then you are traveling into the future as well as time speeds up for you in a big way. So, you are aiming at a target that if it existed when you left, likely does not exist when you get there.

I used to read tons of stuff regarding the astronomy and the universe when I was young (geek) and impressionable. The Expanding Universe by Sir Arthur Eddington being a book my dad recommended. The Stephen Hawking of his day, he tried to explain Einstein’s theory of general relativity and quantum mechanics in understandable terms, and verified and expanded upon Einstein’s findings.

Paulie dropping the quantum mechanics jokes! I won’t give away the gag, but check out the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

• snarkk said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:16 am

Interstellar travel cannot be accomplished in a standard way. The “wormhole” theory of transport across interstellar space would have to become a reality. That is, travel across such a great distance would have to be accomplished somehow via a warp or tear in the space/time continuum of some sort. I got through about 1/3 of Hawking’s book, then gave up on it, even though it was supposed to be for “laymen”. If Einstein had lived in the Bay Area and used BART, he probably would never have come up with the theory of relativity…

• unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:37 am

Yes, the train never leaves the tunnel!

• gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:32 am

Too much egg nog apparently for Chuck!!!

• gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:34 am

I mean Snarkk

8. unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:11 am

GH, if Harbaugh hadn’t called the late timeout, we win the Super Bowl. The play whistled dead was a QB option sweep to the left with Gore that would have scored. The Ravens weren’t even lined up. Harbaugh needlessly used up 1:30 to get 3 plays off, and the passes were all stupid plays. Harbaugh was notoriously slow at getting plays in, and it drive me nuts. It also cost the 49ers their 6th Super Bowl.

• gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:33 am

I dont disagree but still Fuck Kaepernick.

• gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:34 am

#Montanawouldnothavelost

• unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:40 am

Yes, he would have. Joe would have been 56 at the time. I mean, really. Joe never lost a playoff game or threw an interception amirite?

Walsh never would have called those low-percentage throws in the first place.

9. willedav said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:18 am

Pavs says Gascan could be a trade chip, at $9 mil? wow don’t hold your breath. only time he’s been decent is out of pen, ala Poms last year. But that’s not what Giants plan is, he’s supposed to start. Poms was decent gamble, but he sucked as SP. So did Holland, and then he beatched about stuff and finally got dealt away with ERA of 5.90. Which he eventually lowered to 5.17 out of pen for Cubs before Sept 29 game he started and Cards hammered his ass and drove ERA back up to over 6,00..which was only slightly higher than Gascan 5.72 last year.

10. gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:42 am

Damn I should have circulated my last second 20 game bowl pool…sorry dudes

11. gianthead said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:47 am

Let me ask you this WDav…why the hell did Scorcese have to cast DeNiro in that role? It took me 3 sittings to get through the Irishman and had just recently read the book. Not casting a younger person more in line with the character who could be the WWII soldier and young tough just took too much out of the movie for me to make it great. There was no reason to have DeNiro play someone who you know is Irish!!

Pacino though was fantastic even being 20 years older than Hoffa at his end…

• unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 10:00 am

Because Scorsese, GH. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Brevity is an art form. I don’t mind dialogue but, Christ on a bicycle, they could have cut half the dialogue without altering the story. Pesci was spectacular. The rest do what they do. And they do it very well, but nothing earth shattering. Harvey Keitel is a little shortchanged which is hard to do in a 3.5 hour movie, but Scorsese gets all his goodfellas in there.

• willedav said, on December 26, 2019 at 12:21 pm

mm I was OK with DeNiro and Pesci was great. They made Fitz look like a real doofus, but the guy playing tony pro was outstanding. As for Hoffa, the early years when he was firebrand orator came off better than way he was portrayed later by Pacino. Pacino basically telling mob guys to f off every time Frank tried to get him to mellow out and compromise was funny tho. Still, too long.
      As comp to GF 1, when Michael wipes everyone off board, that’s it an all that remains is end of Carlo and kissing of the hands. Here, end which everyone knows is coming, takes forever.

12. unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:48 am

I’m hoping against hope that all the smoke being blown up Belt’s ass is merely for other GM’s sake. He’d be perfect for that short porch in Yanqui stadium.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 26, 2019 at 9:59 am

Of course “Belt has a lot of fans in the revamped front office….”, he’s the only “championship core” guy left that provides something they value at the plate: high number of pitchers per ab (top 25 in MLB 2019) and OBP-dropped off last year but still top 5 on the club. Hopefully check is right as it seems like they should be able to eat some salary and get value in return for Belt.

14. alleykat69 said, on December 26, 2019 at 10:50 am

Belt’s value of taking strike 3 pitches with his Gumby shoulders whining back to the dugout should also be noted in his evaluation of play.

15. zumiee said, on December 26, 2019 at 12:03 pm

The conservative GH doesn’t like Kap, big shocker.

16. snarkk said, on December 26, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Scorcese makes yet another mob movie, with the same guys, only older. I think I’ll pass…

• djloo27 said, on December 26, 2019 at 3:47 pm

I’m with you, Snarkk.
      No interest…

17. willedav said, on December 26, 2019 at 12:30 pm

I did think Scorsese got RFK character all wrong.
    Sally Bugs, classic mob handle. Pesci’s line ,”He ain’t going in there (Fed bldg.) for lunch” was great.

18. willedav said, on December 26, 2019 at 12:40 pm

one other quibble–lot of complaining by Hoffa and others later about FBI hounding them with wiretaps etc. Under Hoover (who blamed Commies and anti War subversives for every evil) tho, didn’t FBI ignore the Mob?
    That’s the take I’ve read on how they got so powerful in first place, during Prohibition, and after Dewey left NY.
    Most all Mob guys eventually only get busted for tax evasion which wouldn’t have anything to do with FBI, right?

• unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2019 at 12:44 pm

It seems to me like the FBI used the mob to grow their own name and importance.

• willedav said, on December 26, 2019 at 12:49 pm

plus, shortly after JFK got killed, RFK left Johnson admin to run for senator in NY so he was out of Mob’s hair by then.

19. Flavor said, on December 26, 2019 at 4:23 pm

I’m definitely gonna watch the Irishman but it’s so long I gotta really carve out some *I got nuthin’ going on* time to make that one happen

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 26, 2019 at 7:20 pm

I probably wouldn’t have been too interested in yet another Scorsese mob film, as mentioned above, but I found it interesting being based on true stories and real people. Pesci for once was greatly understated, and it was kinda fun watching some of the dialog scenes between the old masters Pacino and DeNiro. Plus fuhgetaboutit, I’m a Joisey boy…

21. willedav said, on December 27, 2019 at 7:55 am

Flav, Godfather #1 still way better movie, more action packed and considerably shorter. lus you got Hollywood, Vegas and Moe Green, making someone an offer they can’t refuse (I count 3 times this is said), Italy and the thunderbolt, sleep with the fish, and words to live by from Don Corleone.

22. willedav said, on December 27, 2019 at 8:09 am

Pavs alludes to it but one thing Z has NOT done is be real with fanbase. Sure it’s obvious they aren’t gonna be competitive and aren’t trying to be. But he has never gone public with “we aren’t spending $$ on big contracts and are all in on player development. We like our young players, will add more, and will win as much as we can with who he have and hopefully be better in near future.”

Meanwhile publicly he makes politician cover your ass things like “we’re still talking” to Bum who had stopped listening. Before the meetings he said they were after power hitting corner OF, LH bench bat and pitching, but did almost nothing. And they wouldn’t pay to hang onto Bum Pillar or even Vogt despite being $50 mil under lux tax.

Funny enough despite all the trust in his expertise he gets, he hasn’t moved any of the core guys out yet either.

• zumiee said, on December 27, 2019 at 8:53 am

The front office gave him a mixed message. “Rebuild, but do it without eating big contracts.”
      Those are basically opposite things. I’m not feeling sorry for Z on that. When he took the job, he likely knew what was what. He basically knew he would take the slings and arrows.
      But he seems to have the temperament to deal with it.

• unca_chuck said, on December 27, 2019 at 9:05 am

Melancon moved without eating anything was huge. He got a couple prospects to boot.

23. Flavor said, on December 27, 2019 at 10:38 am

i have still never seen Good Fellas or the Godfather

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2019 at 11:10 am

You’ll survive if you don’t see ’em.
      Godfather is the one to see, if you have only time for one.
      But, if you see Godfather, you have to see Godfather II. Arguably even better…

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2019 at 11:35 am

Godfather III ?
        Don’t bother…

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2019 at 11:43 am

Between GF and GFII, Coppola made The Conversation.
      Great flick. Gene Hackman stars. IMO his best work; way better than French Connection and Unforgiven.
      Hackman is a surveillance expert. He’s hired to snoop, records a conversation at Union Square SF that bothers him, to say the least. A few minutes of early Harrison Ford…

• unca_chuck said, on December 27, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Yep. Great great movie. I really liked French Connection though. As well as Downhill Racer.

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2019 at 12:36 pm

I liked French Connection, too.
        But, I thought Hackman’s role there was pretty much a cliche, thought he did it well. His role in The Conversation was much richer, IMO…

• djloo27 said, on December 27, 2019 at 1:15 pm

FC might be my favorite movie. Up there with Taxi Driver…

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 27, 2019 at 11:17 am

The Irishman was okay. Its your basic Scorcese mob story formula that runs too long. If you’re carving out *I got nuthin’ going on* time, I agree with snarkk, go for the Godfather & Godfather II.

25. zumiee said, on December 27, 2019 at 11:50 am

I prefer Goodfellas over any of The Godfather movies. Just my opinion.

26. alleykat69 said, on December 27, 2019 at 11:59 am

With you Zumie,Goodfellas is much more entertaining then Irishman,which kept dragging on I wanted to shoot my TV.The only time I liked seeing Pacino&DeNiro together was in Heat a great movie with extremely good acting thru out…

27. alleykat69 said, on December 27, 2019 at 12:04 pm

BF…You still need to see Cool Hand Luke a really fantastic movie 🎥 🍿

• unca_chuck said, on December 27, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Yep.

• Flavor said, on December 27, 2019 at 1:46 pm

haven’t seen that one either. I did watch The Gambler last year (off a Loo rec’d). It was really good.

• unca_chuck said, on December 27, 2019 at 2:56 pm

James Caan, not Markie Mark, right/

• djloo27 said, on December 27, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Absolutely magnificent.
        So well done…

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 27, 2019 at 12:40 pm

If we’re recommending movies and whatnot, The Royal Tenenbaums is good for a sick twisted laugh. It’s even got Gene Hackman!

• unca_chuck said, on December 27, 2019 at 3:17 pm

I think Young Frankenstein was one of Hackman’s best works.

29. djloo27 said, on December 27, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Don Imus dead at 79…

• djloo27 said, on December 27, 2019 at 3:16 pm

He used to refer to Mike and the Mad Dog as “Fatso and Froot Loops” …

30. unca_chuck said, on December 27, 2019 at 3:26 pm

He was Howard Stern before Howard Stern was. He was never big on the west coast.

31. Flavor said, on December 27, 2019 at 4:09 pm

never an Imus guy, I am a big Stern fan tho. Still, sad to hear him go, I didn’t know he was that old.

32. Macdog said, on December 27, 2019 at 4:19 pm

I can watch Godfather 1 & 2 and Goodfellas anytime, I never get sick of those flicks. French Connection too. Sorry to hear about Imus, big on NYC radio, probably hadn’t listened to him since the 80s. Definite forerunner to Stern.

33. djloo27 said, on December 27, 2019 at 4:23 pm

34. Flavor said, on December 27, 2019 at 4:25 pm

I’ve never even heard of French Connection but I will check it out.

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Great car chase scene. Not as good as in Bullitt, but darn good for the era. Friedkin did The Exorcist a coupla’ years later. Then, about a decade later did To Live and Die in LA, a superb film (+ great soundtrack and another car chase). Lots of others, too. He did some good stuff, and some crap…

35. zumiee said, on December 27, 2019 at 4:38 pm

Unfortunately for Imus he’ll be most remembered for using a racial slur about the Rutgers womens basketball team.
    A pretty stupid move by him.
    Trump probably thought it was hilarious.

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 27, 2019 at 4:55 pm

Adios pelota is my ringtone

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Some sweet vids, there.
      Hard to pick a fav. I must say Buster’s gran salami blast off Latos where the ball hit the Latos sign in upper deck left center — that one was especially awesome…

• zumiee said, on December 27, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Great choices. Such amazing great moments and memories. I might quibble a little bit about #10 and replace it with Pence’s HR in the first inning of game 1 of the ‘14 World Series.

• djloo27 said, on December 27, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Or Gillaspie…

37. alleykat69 said, on December 27, 2019 at 5:55 pm

For sure game face Gillespie fires up run around the bases was legendary for a guy that never showed his emotions much!

38. djloo27 said, on December 27, 2019 at 8:36 pm

If you’re gonna pick the top homers of the decade, it’s a cop out to count Panda’s 3 and Cody’s 2 as one each when it’s really 5…

• Macdog said, on December 27, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Good point. Maybe it should’ve been Pablo’s 3rd HR and Cody’s 1st.

39. mrsprtdude said, on December 27, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Chuck I am so happy right now. I am not the only one who think we screwed the pooch at the end! I have been blasting Harbaugh for years. No doubt at ALL in my mind we win if not for his lame ass play calling at the end. Ravens were gassed and Gore could not be stopped. Then 3 pass plays??? FUCK.

40. willedav said, on December 28, 2019 at 7:24 am

Interesting dynamic in bowl game last night. Kittle’s Iowa team dominated both lines as they thrashed Caroll’s SC team 49-24, power running game plus knocking out the QB and shutting down SC run attack.
    Love to see that play out Sunday night.
    One weird play tho–first drive of second half SC scored TD in 5 plays and then tried onside kick, which the kicker kicked forward to himself, slid down on top of ball and recovered as no one else got near him or the ball.