Super Bowl Talk

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 3, 2020

With baseball still in a deep slumber (at least for SF) let’s take a look at the current SB odds before the excitement of Wild Card weekend kicks off.

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 7.14.31 AM

Of the LONGEST odds offered I like the Bills the best. They have a good defense and I expect them to get by Houston. Josh Allen is fun to watch. They might not have enough on offense. Still, for $5 I’d throw it at them for fun.

The lower odds look ok except I’d put the Niners at 2-1 ahead of the Chiefs. The AFC is going to have to prove to me they know how to handle L-Jack before I could see one of them getting past Baltimore. KC could do it but I’d still have SF ahead of them to win it all…

As you guys know I don’t like watching movies for at least 10-20 years after they come out. I broke tradition with that approach this holiday season and watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Uncut Gems; both, outstanding.

Question though: what was the significance of all the dirty feet shots in OUATIH? I didn’t get that–the ending of that one, wow, I’m still reeling from how awesome that was….

1. Pasalon said, on January 3, 2020 at 7:48 am

One of the many Google search results…

• willedav said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:20 am

ha thx. Paul Revere and the Raiders in soundtrack, OK. Neil Diamond, uh no.
      Gotta admit that commercial with 2 people stuck in traffic singing along to the flat awful Sweet Caroline is funny.

2. Macdog said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:00 am

Seahawks at 25-1 also might be one to throw a fun $5 or $10 at.

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:07 am

Philly is going to beat Seattle this weekend.

• gianthead said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:14 am

That would cost me some money…thank you very little!!!

3. gianthead said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:15 am

I have $30 bucks on Niners at 20-1 at the start of the season to win the SB!!!

4. wilcojoe said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:18 am

Any chance Francesa gets an Oscar nomination for Uncut Gems? I will hang up and listen.

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:38 am

lol. That’s the only negative about that movie. Not that Franny was bad, he was fine in his limited role. But his dumbass now gets to take credit for being in such a fantastic movie. Could Sandler win Best Actor?

5. zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:20 am

I had never heard of Richaun Holmes before. The Kings signed him as a free agent this past summer to a modest 2 year/$10 million deal. He’s been a revelation. Solid NBA player at the center position. He’s actually everything they hoped the oft-injured Bagley would be. Kings fans are diggin’ Holmes. I hope the Kings can eventually re-sign him to a bigger deal. He’s going to be coveted by other teams. I love his game. 100% effort. Good rebounder. Decent offensive moves in the paint. Good free throw shooter. He makes a positive impact on the court. He’s not just some guy going up and down the court.

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:28 am

He’s currently #3 in the NBA in FG % at 67%, and it’s not all shots from the low block. He has a nice soft touch on shots farther out in the paint.

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:36 am

When Bagley comes back, they can co-exist. Bagley’s a better outside shooter than Holmes, and Bagley drives the ball well to the basket. Bagley wouldn’t post up as much, which might bother him a bit, though. Bagley has a lot to prove, and improve.

• willedav said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:34 am

funny Zum column on GS recently said they don’t feel need to big C to be part of their offense. Still though they have to defend some pretty good ones in the West, and Cauley Stein and Marqueese Chris aren’t really up to it.
      Looney and Green couldn’t handle Raptors inside game last year and got killed by Siakam etc.
      There are bunch of good bigs in NBA right now, very cool diversion from 3 ball circus.

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:46 am

Yeah, teams relentlessly flinging up 3-point shots is not all that thrilling.

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:48 am

The Splash Brothers made it thrilling, because they are so good at it; but other teams doing it is lacking.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2020 at 1:43 pm

Yeah, I like what I have seen of Holmes. He is listed as a Forward (as is Bagley).

6. willedav said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:31 am

philly knocking off seachickens would be awesome and only add to Greenlaw’s gif props. Is there anything to reverse hex (ala negative vmi in baseball) on teams flying west as opposed to the knock on west coast teams struggling to go play early games back east?

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:41 am

one of the reasons I like Philly is that Seattle traveling across the country and not getting to play in front of their precious 12th men or LOB of whatever, coupled with that devastating loss they took last game, is going to have them in let down mode. If not let down mode, hey, they just aren’t going to be as good as when they’re at home. They still have no running game. Lockett hasn’t been the same for a month (or more). I just think Philly, even in their weakened state due to injuries, can beat Seattle this weekend. I took the points but I also did a lot with them on the ML

• Macdog said, on January 3, 2020 at 9:33 am

The Seahawks were 4-4 at home and 7-1 on the road this season.

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 10:12 am

small sample size. Some of those wins/losses could easily have been flipped (like both their games with SF). Also, I’m not sure how well known it is out east but the 12th Man shit is very real to them, they have a huge home field advantage. And don’t discount that epic loss last week. To a man they are bummed they have to go to Philly this week. I see Philly winning.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Against the spread, Seachicks were:

2-6 at home

4-4 on the road

7. alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 9:35 am

I can’t count Seattle out of this game against Philadelphia.They were Road Warriors this year going 5-0 with the early 10am starting time which is quite remarkable for teams from the west to achieve..
    Wilson is far superior over Wentz as well in big plays capabilities, so I see Seattle winning setting up 49ers-Seahawks game 3..

• gianthead said, on January 3, 2020 at 9:39 am

A rematch with the Seahawks seems fateful…I just think they are so much better offensively and Philly offense seems still very one-dimensional…

8. Macdog said, on January 3, 2020 at 10:39 am

Flav, I’m not in disagreement about Philly’s chances. It pains me to admit this, but they’re a tough bunch and won’t be an easy out. I think these are two teams that might not be as good as their records. Seahawks were 11-5 but had a point differential of just +7 — that’s bizarre. As for the Eagles, they may seem like a hot team right now with their 4-0 finish, but a close look shows three of the wins came against two garbage teams — winning one in OT and another on a late TD — and the other came against the gutless Cowboys. The big question mark to me is Wentz; this is his first playoff game, so who knows how he’ll do. It did surprise me to see Seahawks at 25-1.

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 11:10 am

Wentz has had an odd year. Is it his lack of weapons? Not fully healed? Just regressed? Dunno but I guess we’ll find out Sunday. I’d like to see my main man Arcega-Whiteside do something. He was a beast at Stanford, been injured a lot this year. But he should still see the field if their injuries to other wideouts continues.

9. alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 11:26 am

I’m not a big Carson Wentz believer, he will have to prove it to me as a bigtime playoff competitor.Remember it was Nick Foles leading the Eagles to their SB win not Wentz. Best player to watch out for in this game is not Wentz but their RB Miles Sanders who’s really upped his game down the stretch..

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 11:28 am

yeah, but he’s one of those guys who is definitely hurt. They have Howard, I’d rather see them run him out there than an injured Sanders but it looks like he says he’s going to try to play so……

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2020 at 1:59 pm

Final injury report – Sanders did not participate in practice.

• alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Supposedly he practiced today, but even Sanders said he’s not 100% but is playing.
        The real concern is TE Zach Ertz who suffered a broken rib and lacerated kidney against Dallas in week16.Probaby will go as well, but the Eagles are real banged up going into this one..

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 2:21 pm

he’s not on the injury report and he did practice
        UPDATE: Sanders (ankle) doesn’t carry an injury designation for Sunday’s playoff game against the Seahawks after practicing fully Friday.

10. chipower9 said, on January 3, 2020 at 1:25 pm

With baseball still in a deep slumber (at least for SF)…A testament to this is that I finally flipped my Giants Opening Day calendar from December (Panik) to January (Duggar). UGH…

Agree on the Niner/Chief odds, Flav (sorry, no disrespect to my man, Mr. DJ Loo). I truly would love to see a Niner-Chiefs super bowl.

I have not seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but it’s on my list. I love everything that Tarantino has done. My favorite of all his flicks is still Django Unchained, but they are all great in their own way, IMO. Sure hope the news that Tarantino plans to call it quits after his next movie (number 10) is wrong…

Looking forward to some NFL playoff action this weekend, and finding out who the Niners will face (I suspect the Seachicks, but have no wagers on that game).

I run a pool where the players pick against the spread on every college bowl game. There were 15 in the pool this year, and it was not decided until after last night’s games (there were five of the 15 still in the hunt going into those games). Fun stuff…

11. Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 2:19 pm

lol, ok.

12. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2020 at 2:40 pm

The Philly offense was decimated by injuries to Samuels, Ertz, Agholor, DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Darren Sproles, and Lane Johnson.

They’ve done well without all those guys. Don;t think they take Seattle though. All about Philly’s D and pressure on RW.

Wentz will struggle in a shootout.

13. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2020 at 2:44 pm

” . . . Hollywood” was a cool movie.

Don’t see how anyone goes to Baltimore and comes out a winner.

Great slew of games this weekend though.

14. djloo27 said, on January 3, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Tyson fuckin’ Ross?
    Why?

• alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 4:16 pm

To make it easier to reach your prediction of 57-105 Loo!

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 5:11 pm

It’s a minor league contract.

• Bozo said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:03 pm

My excitement level is right up there with the Pat Venditte signing we did last year.

15. alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Yeah all of their deals have been minor so far..

16. Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:09 pm

Twin used to chastise us harshly when we would bitch about a winter deal like the one Ross got. “minor league deal!!!” he would yell. You know what? Fuck that, it being a minor league deal doesn’t make it any better—it’s just another dumpster dive from a team top 5 in revenue….

• alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Lol..Yeah he would add, listen dickwads remember they have to add pitching to all their levels so they don’t ruin the real prospects arms!!Ferchrissakes!!

17. Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:13 pm

The teams I like tomorrow: Buffalo and Philly. And New Orleans to blow out Minnesota, their secondary got decimated today. No clue about the NE game. I think people are putting too much focus on that Miami loss. That was just something stupid that happened. Still, Brady is an old man. And that offense has stunk all year. Maybe I get my hopes up that Tennessee could shock the world?

18. zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:25 pm

The Cespedes ankle injury explained.
    “”Cespedes has traps on his ranch for a variety of reasons, including to keep boars away from people,” The Post reported. “But one boar was removed from a trap — perhaps by Cespedes — and either charged toward Cespedes or startled him, causing Cespedes to step into a hole.”
    After the injury had occurred, the outfielder gave notice to the Mets mentioning he was “trying to sidestep a boar.” Officials and representatives from the organization went to the ranch the following day with the notion that was indeed what had occurred.
    This injury caused a snowball effect of sorts and left him off the active roster for the 2019 season.”

• djloo27 said, on January 3, 2020 at 7:02 pm

I was bitten by a boar
      I was gouged and I was gored
      But I pulled on through

19. djloo27 said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:26 pm

My hopes for signing Puig are down near zero.
    This team doesn’t seem to care about entertaining their fans…

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:42 pm

When they are a playoff team again eventually, the fans will come back in droves. The same thing happened to the Niners.

• djloo27 said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:44 pm

They put more energy into figuring out what stupid trinket they seem to give away at almost every home game.
        I guess that’s the plan to get people out to the park…

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:43 pm

signing guys is a two way street. Puig would have literally zero interest in signing with SF–

20. Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm

i don’t understand how you could be this rich and famous and still decide this looks good to wear in public

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 7:03 pm

I have a pet peeve about how the NBA players’ “fashion walk” to the locker room has become a thing. When did that become a thing? Why did it become a thing? I guess it’s all marketing. The NBA markets itself as being ultra-cool.
      But, yeah, some of the things the players wear are just goofy, and not cool, IMO.

• djloo27 said, on January 3, 2020 at 7:07 pm

It might just be something that’s been going on for ages but like everything today it all gets filmed and put out there…

• Macdog said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:05 pm

The Stern legacy, for better or, in this case, worse.

21. alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 6:53 pm

Yeah but signing scrubs like Gausman&Ross when no other teams wanted them is DESPERATION.Filling out a roster at lowball costs sadly is all they can do..

22. zumiee said, on January 3, 2020 at 7:25 pm

I actually find the Lakers a little more likable than the Rockets. The Rockets remind me of the “bad boys” era of the Pistons. Totally unlikable.

23. Macdog said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:06 pm

The Mets deal with boars.

The Giants are bores.

24. Flavor said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Kuzma looks like some transvestite hooker you’d see in the Castro on a random Friday night.

25. snarkk said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:13 pm

I’m assuming Zman has been trying like hell to get rid of these bad contracts, but no takers.
    He’ll have to sweeten the pot towards or in Spring Training. Maybe somebody gets hurt in ST and out for the season; that could generate some interest in Belt or Craw…

• alleykat69 said, on January 3, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Yeah probably are own core of bores..

26. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2020 at 9:54 pm

I’m a fleabit peanut monkey
    All my friends are junkies

Nice pull, Loo!

There’s the Brew Crew and now the Bore Core. Finally got name for it.

Here we go Giantzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . . . . .