Flap Nation

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 9, 2020

Today is Shout Out Thursday. And today’s shout out goes to my main man in….checks notes…..Bainbridge Island, Washington! Ervin is a true Flapper who checks the blog every morning like all the rest of you. He just doesn’t post anything. That’s ok we appreciate the support anyway!

This is an older pic of my main man in Reno (Pa Salon) and my main man in Washington (Ervin) representing at my main spot in SF. #3in5 #4life

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 6.05.19 AM

Seriously though, you Flappers who have stayed with the team through thick and thin, you guys are the reason this is the best fan base in baseball. I give a knowing dude head nod to all of you….

1. chipower9 said, on January 9, 2020 at 6:38 am

Hail Hail all Flappers far and wide…even the ones who do not post. 😉

Speaking of staying with your team. I recall 1985 (year we lost 100 games…only time in franchise history). I, of course, continued to rock my Giant lid throughout the year (WTF, I AM a Giants fan). I can’t tell you how many times people would ask me why I was wearing a Giant’s hat, because they sucked. And of course, my response was always the same…because they’re MY team. Bandwagon fans have to be one of the most annoying pests on the planet.

Make it an awesome day, Flap Universe.

• gianthead said, on January 9, 2020 at 8:28 am

My freshman year in college started that September so remember it well…especially the 100 losses…

2. willedav said, on January 9, 2020 at 7:01 am

thx again Flav for providing forum for all of us to chime in, and for putting yourself out there on line.
    good luck to GH, but man reading through thread of pics made by others here last week, that’s why I stopped gambling on football long time ago. I just don’t like to lose $$$, and games just too unpredictable without even factoring in refs. Saw somewhere Clowney could be fined for the hit on Wentz too..

Btw, you guys that do fantasy–what is your take on that gal who won $1 mil? did they pay her off after all? Is what she and husband do with all the lineups they put in wrong, whether technically legal or not?

Pac 12 which sucks again gets rolling second week of conference games with big test for Stanford and opportunity for Cal to win a game, of which there will be dang few.
    Ha, “Lew” was good call…”Keith” Wilkes in those days too. I still have hard cover copy of “Practical Modern Basketball” by Wooden aka the Bible with all his offensive sets.

• Flavor said, on January 9, 2020 at 7:54 am

she hasn’t been paid, she shouldn’t get paid they were colluding, but she will probably get paid. Truth be told, they didn’t gain that big of an advantage, they lost 17 straight weeks before they hit last Sunday. But it was against the rules and they shouldn’t get rewarded for cheating.

• gianthead said, on January 9, 2020 at 8:34 am

Anyone have a link to that story???

• Flavor said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:10 am

It’s everywhere including ESPN

• gianthead said, on January 9, 2020 at 8:33 am

WD, I had a nice hit on a 3 team parlay with Bama, TN and Seattle. So playing all house money. I started with $50 and hit a $15 parlay paying $177 and then the other $35 went to their Bowl pool which ended up getting me $102 finishing 49th out of 2800 entries. I was up to 12th and then got f”d on Oregon pulling off that game after Wisconsin fumbled late and missed the Baylor Georgia game so may have win a few more hundred.

But turned that $50 to $500 and now betting all the house money…hit everything will be up over $2000 if Niners also hit my $30 winning the super bowl bet at 20-1!!!

3. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2020 at 8:51 am

Wow. In the srticle about the DFS collusion:

A 2015 McKinsey study cited by the Times found that in the first half of the 2015 Major League Baseball season, 91 percent of the prize money was won by 1.3 percent of the players.

You have to turn off your ad blocker to read this . . .

4. zumiee said, on January 9, 2020 at 8:59 am

I played fantasy football and baseball in the primitive days of the mid-1980s to late-1980s. No internet. It was all done by an insane amount of phone calls. It was fun but I burned out on it.
    There were few sports highlight shows in those days. You had to wait until the newspaper came out to know final results. Roommates and I would gather around the TV for football highlights on late Sunday night on a show called George Michael’s Sports Machine. Not the singer.

5. zumiee said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:04 am

Good times. The best memories of it is hanging out with the guys in the fantasy league. I rarely see any of those guys anymore. Everyone moved on to different places.

6. snarkk said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:08 am

Cheats in gambling?
    Shocking…

7. zumiee said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:09 am

We would often gather together to watch Monday night football. A lot of times fantasy games were still on the line. That was a good time, and then after the MNF game we would go outside in the dark, in the street, and play an insane touch football game, under dim streetlights, where you could barely see the football coming at you, and parked cars were a hazard, too.

8. zumiee said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:09 am

Some of those guys are grandparents now, which kind of blows my mind.

9. Macdog said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:26 am

Great pic from Flav. And great stuff from Zum. Remember George Michael Sports Machine well.

• zumiee said, on January 9, 2020 at 10:13 am

Those are great. But some of those hits in football aren’t legal anymore. The NFL used to market itself with those vicious hits. It was a different game in those days.

10. willedav said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:57 am

Mac, Jersey b-ball looking pretty good. the Hall is in first place 3-0 in Big East, Rutgers 3-1 beat #20 Penn State last week, and Monmouth beat former league champs Iona.
    I think my fav team to watch locally is St. Mary’s. They have good balance in scoring, pass move with less iso ball and shoot really well. they and San Diego St. best teams in California. SMC has to face Zags twice too, always a challenge.
    Stanford gets formerly high ranked UW at home. Huskies lost home game (no no) to UCLA last week, after UCLA had lost non conference game to Fullerton St. Then UCLA lost to Wazzu worst team in the league not named Cal. Tonite is Wazzu at Cal, big game for both as neither will win too often if at all rest of league season.

• Macdog said, on January 9, 2020 at 10:23 am

Yeah, big win for Rutgers at the RAC, a great place to see a game when it’s packed like it was Tuesday. They play tough D and Pikiell’s a very good coach. There’s talk of RU maybe making NCAAs for first time since ’91, it’s still early and that’s a tough task having to play in Big Ten, but at least they’re relevant again around here.

11. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2020 at 11:46 am

Ahhh, man. Buck Henry died. He of the numerous cameos on Saturday night live. Co-wrote Get Smart with Mel Brooks. Catch-22, and a bunch of other stuff. Funny as hell.

12. Ervin Grinberg said, on January 9, 2020 at 12:15 pm

Yo Flavor…thanks for the shout-out. Keep the hope alive in the PNW

• Flavor said, on January 9, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Fuck yeah, Ervin. Back at u

13. willedav said, on January 9, 2020 at 12:57 pm

Yes Mac Big 10 is really good probably best league in whole country. Upside is, winning home games vs. top rated teams and maybe a couple on road for Rutgers would mean a lot in terms of strength of schedule.

That’s an issue for team like Stanford, who would have to beat the only good team Oregon at home and not get blindsided too often by chump team on road. Same problem for St. Mary’s–selection committee might not care if you beat up on the rest of a weaker league if you lose to Gonzaga twice in league and then again in conference tourney.

Right now college ball just lot more fun to watch than Warriors are.

14. chipower9 said, on January 9, 2020 at 7:56 pm

Get ready for more dumpster diving…

15. chipower9 said, on January 9, 2020 at 8:00 pm

Interesting. I had not heard about this. Sorry if this is old news or was previously shared….

16. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2020 at 9:42 pm

That’s a link to some app.

• djloo27 said, on January 10, 2020 at 6:09 am

I believe it’s an analog to frobenius with non-communicative extensions…