The Just OK Bowl?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 13, 2020

I can’t remember an NFL playoff with this easy of a path to the Super Bowl—the Niners are a good team, not great, but the drama of them getting there, since the moment Greenlaw stonewalled Hollister at the goal line, just hasn’t been there. They got a freeroll with the Vikings and beating Green Bay won’t be that much more challenging.

KC? I’m assuming that D will be better when they get Chris Jones back. But even then they don’t seem hard to score on, especially when you get them out of Arrowhead.

Maholmes is definitely an issue. But to win a Super Bowl you have to be able to overcome at least some greatness, right? Can we really win it all just by being good?

Who knows? Tennessee could beat KC. No one thought they could beat NE or Baltimore so I can’t say they can’t beat the Chiefs. There is a narrative out there that Henry will be able to run all day keeping Maholmes off the field. I guess I could see that happening. Unlikely though.

1. gianthead said, on January 13, 2020 at 5:56 am

Well I did not read yday’s unders well:( when stupid Houston recovered a fumble recover yo go up 14-0 5 minutes into the game was not the start I wanted. Oh well. LSU wins me half my losses back and then all Niners baby!!! Fate is our bitch this year!!!

• gianthead said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:06 am

I’ll take the +7 5 on the Titans…

2. Flavor said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:04 am

Has anyone seen Dennis posting at Chuck’s site lately? His twitter account has been dark since August, surprising with the Niners doing so well. Besides being a racist asshole his hot take was that you couldn’t win the SB without having a great QB. Can’t imagine he’s that impressed with JimmyG.

3. Flavor said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:24 am

I’m not betting the game but with so many people on LSU giving 5.5 I would take Clemson and those points in a heartbeat.

4. chipower9 said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:49 am

I beg to differ. Not sure this team is one of the greats, but they’re better than good, IMO. Very good? Whatever.

They have the best tight end in the game. Maybe the best to ever wear the Crimson and Gold.

They also have the best fullback, who is as good as, if not better than Rathman, IMO (because of his blocking, running, and receiving skills). Jimmy G is serviceable and has some maturing to do. I think he is going to turn into one of the better QBs in the game. Thank goodness the Pats dropped that in our lap, otherwise, Cousins is our signal caller.

Their defensive front is great. Pure domination, and their O-line is nothing to sneeze at.

The receivers are very good. Love Deebo Samuel. He’s a beast. The linebackers and D-backs are better than average.

So, IMO they are certainly better than good. Just my spin.

IF the Niners and Chiefs make the cut, it will be a bittersweet game for me. As I have mentioned here before, growing up in Oklahoma, I was a huge Chiefs fan (all of my relatives except my dad were fucking Cowgirl fans). But that ship has sailed, and the Niners have been my team since moving West in 1977.

Go Niners…Quest for Six!

• alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 10:00 am

Great post Chi!
      I’m even going to add that the 3 headed running back by committee has done an excellent job this year.Each week your just never sure who the man was going to be carrying the rock.Shanny goes with the hot hand, sometimes Mosert,sometimes Brieda and then you get a slice of Coleman who ran for 102 yards against the Vikings. Shanny keeps team’s guessing on how to defend these 3, plus it keeps the backs fresh as the defense is gassed..

• chipower9 said, on January 13, 2020 at 11:52 am

Good call, Kat. No way I intended to slight the Niner’s running backs. They have been money most of the year, and the O-line just kicked-ass against the Vikings…esp. in the 2nd half.

5. chipower9 said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:51 am

I am actually looking forward to tonight’s college game. Not betting it, but I think LSU wins. Would be surprised if they cover…I think it will be a tight game.

Geaux Tigers (yeah, the LSU flavor Tigers).

6. willedav said, on January 13, 2020 at 7:20 am

takeaways x 3::
    Niners-Seattle rivalry back on. 2 tremendous games btw them this season and Wilson gives even depleted roster chance to win every time. They lost 2 of last 3, but sure wasn’t easy.

Lynch has done one hella job adding depth to roster, through draft and trades, to positions Chi mentioned on both sides of ball, lines skill spots LB and secondary. Injuries are gonna happen so hope he can continue to do that in draft and elsewhere because…

Getting even this far let alone winning the big one=everyone wants to get paid. In NFL it’s lot easier to move around without guarantees of NBA/MLB. Plus this offseason will take its own toll on how hard everyone works to stay on top vs. enjoying inevitable spoils of celebrity status.

7. willedav said, on January 13, 2020 at 7:24 am

Who on this Niners team has been this far before, beside maybe G and Sherman? Even in playoffs Rodger has pretty good record on road, Just read stats on cbs site have to look it up again.

• chipower9 said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:24 am

Staley. Drafted in ’07…was on the team when they lost to the Ravens in ’13.

• Macdog said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:48 am

Tevin Coleman with the Falcons.

• Macdog said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:51 am

Emmanuel Sanders with Steelers and Broncos.

8. willedav said, on January 13, 2020 at 7:30 am

ah correction, Rodgers has been in 4 NFC champ games, all on road but only 1 W in 2010.
    Yesterday was his 17th playoff start.

9. willedav said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:14 am

Ha Zum’s right re: Adams and Fresno St. Watching games with buddies, especially NBA, we’d have a game where a guy would make a play and we’d ask “from?” And these guys used to get me all the time and laugh if it was Henry Ellard or Marquez Pope or some other Fresno guy.

Henry Finkel, lol. Not that they had monopoly on big ugly Centers, but Celts and those hideous black shoes did have Greg Kite Mel Counts and of course HOF all ugly Chief.

Nice post from Flav re: different eras of b-ball. My ?, if Jordan could get 50/60 vs. Celts and Pistons in those days with all the rough play that went on, how many could he get now with “freedom of movement” nonsense and no hand checks? 75?

10. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:27 am

Don’t get me started on Parish. Why we traded him for Joe Barely cares (and the Kevin Mchale draft pick) is a mystery I’ll never solve. Yeah, Parish got there when the decline started but he had no one around him. JoJo White was toast by then, Rick Barry was gone, Purvis Short was about the only guy worst a damn and the rest of the team was scrubs and shitty draft picks. By the time they got World B Free and Bernard King, they could have been a much better team. Then they went off the rails completely. Even Chris Mullin couldn’t save their sorry asses. Until the early 90s glimmer of Run TMC.

11. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:46 am

Niners have to win this game, nobody wants to have a State Farm Super Bowl possibility between Rodgers& his Mahomie..

12. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 10:02 am

Hey, you play who they put in front of you.

Good, bad, or indifferent, Baltiless choked big time. Niners/Balt would have been huge. Seattle never had the defense. Minn, NE, Green Bay (we’ll see), Houston, and Tennessee are all flawed in fundamental ways. I actually thought the NFC side of things were pretty strong. I think SF, Seattle, and Minn are better than most of the AFC. I also think KC really lucked out with Balt getting bounced.

Then again, Tenn is looking pretty bad-ass. They were 2-4 when they benched Mariota and have gone 9-2 since. Including the 2 playopff road wins.

The outlier IS Derrick Henry. If he can get rolling against KC, all bets are off. The best way to slow down Mahomie is to keep him mahome on the sidelines.

13. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 10:27 am

Flav, I have a troll posting on my blog, but it doesn’t sound like Dennis. Nothing racist and very little about the team. It’s all ‘your mom’ ‘you are so dumb’ jokes. He posts here once in a while. His deal is to pick a blogger name and misspell it. He had a POTD here recently. Alleykkat.

14. Flavor said, on January 13, 2020 at 12:09 pm

everything is finally starting to coalesce.

• Bozo said, on January 13, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Will Wilson had a signing bonus of $3.4 and the Giants paid almost $13 mil to get him. Dude has to be thinking he should be getting a piece of that.

15. djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 12:47 pm

After quitting on them at 14-0 yesterday, I’m starting to believe that Mahomes will not allow the Chiefs to lose…

16. Macdog said, on January 13, 2020 at 12:50 pm

From Pav: Pat Burrell is going to be hitting coach for the San Jose Giants.

• unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Someone has to teach the kids how to fu, um, hit.

17. Macdog said, on January 13, 2020 at 12:55 pm

And the big news: Astros owner Jim Crane fired GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch after both had been suspended for a year by MLB for sign stealing in 2017. Astros — or is it *tros — also lose 1st- and 2nd-round picks in 2020, 2021 and fined $5M.

• unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 2:22 pm

And they already dumped the assistant GM for Osuna-gate. Taubmann stood to get the job had he not been ousted?
      From USA Today:

At a press conference Monday afternoon, Astros owner Jim Crane reiterated that the Taubman firing and the sign-stealing scandal which resulted in the firing of general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch were unrelated.

“Totally two separate incidents,” Crane said.

In the report, Manfred described the culture of the Astros’ baseball operations department as “very problematic,” saying it “valued and rewarded results over other considerations, combined with a staff of individuals who often lacked direction or sufficient oversight, (that) led, at least in part, to the Brandon Taubman incident.”

18. chipower9 said, on January 13, 2020 at 12:57 pm

Mac got the drop on the news…

19. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Cora and Beltran need to be fired as well.
    They are just as guilty as Hinch and the GM.
    I’m not personally sorry it cost the Dodgers 2 W/S championships lol 😂 but they did get rear ended twice..

20. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Shit, Clemson’s gonna win outright.

• Bozo said, on January 13, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Whatcha talkin bout Willis? Mike the Tiger is gonna pounce all over dat little kitty from SC.

• Stan Shell said, on January 13, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Chuck, what’s your blog address?

OSF

• unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 3:29 pm

It’s in the blog roll

ninersforever.com

21. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 3:12 pm

LSU wins this game in a shootout 35-31!
    Hell who can’t love that coach with the raspy froggy voice! The dude is totally a cajun from the swamps of the bayou! Go Purple&Gold Tigers!

22. zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Good to see the Astros strongly penalized. MLB had to send a message to all the teams.

23. zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 3:20 pm

The other shoe to drop will be whatever happens with the Red Sox. They had gotten in trouble before with using technology to cheat, and had promised the commissioner it wouldn’t happen again. The commissioner has to be fried that it happened again. All season.

24. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 3:54 pm

As far as the thread goes, Good enough works for me!

25. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Just like that their could be 3 manager job openings for Bochy😂💪👍 to consider! Atleast these teams know he’s no scumbag!

26. Flavor said, on January 13, 2020 at 5:47 pm

this dude bums me out so much

• unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:04 pm

Could be worse. He could go all Aubrey Huff.

• djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:06 pm

I wonder if he prefers this to being single…

• Macdog said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:20 pm

This is why I don’t follow any athletes on Twitter.

27. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 6:15 pm

He needs to grow a pair and not be pussy whipped anymore!!

28. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 7:03 pm

This is what bugs me about college football. Defense is just such a myth in these games.

A run off tackle should not ever go for 30 yards.

Pence obviously doesn’t give a rat’s ass what people think about his social media account. Like Mac saidm the easiest way to avoid it is to not even pay attention.

Gawd. 3rd and 19 and a 3 man rush yields terrible coverage and a PI. The guy was open against 8 DBs.

• Macdog said, on January 13, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Now I see where NFL players have learned not to tackle.

29. Bozo said, on January 13, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Hellofa first half.

30. djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 7:44 pm

If Cora gets suspended or fired, I bet the Red Sox hire my unpopular choice for Giant manager, Tom Goodwin. When I last checked, he was their 1B coach…

• Flavor said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:03 pm

i would have taken Goodwin. But honestly if your big off season move is picking Jake Jewell off the scrap heap and waiving Cozart (who you just essentially traded for) I don’t think the manager makes a lick of difference at this point…..

• alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Would Tom need to borrow Cora’s cheat sheet before getting hired?

31. Flavor said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:03 pm

I mean serious, what the fuck would have been wrong with keeping Cozart around as a utility guy?

• alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:20 pm

I think Cozart could of opted out of a demotion to the minors and become a free agent.Giants are still on the hook for his contract though.He will end up signing a minimum wage deal somewhere, but I don’t think he will play for awhile with his jacked up shoulder..

32. djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:11 pm

I wonder how Giant season ticket plans are selling…

• willedav said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:21 pm

right up there with Seattle plans for super bowl.

33. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Is Jake Jewell related to Richard Jewell?

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2020 at 7:57 am

Is Jake Jewell or Richard Jewell related to the Family Jewells?

34. snarkk said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Phuckin’ A.
    Maybe the Giants have sucked at hitting for the last half decade because they’ve been the only team in MLB not cheating to pick up the catcher’s signs…

35. djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:42 pm

I’ve never known or heard of anyone attending Clemson or even considering it.
    I doubt the average person has any idea where it’s located.
    I think it’s just a football team and not really a school…

• Macdog said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:45 pm

I do! A friend from high school went to college there and is at the game.

• djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Well I believe the same thing about Gonzaga.
        Just a basketball team.
        No campus, no faculty, no nuthin’…

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2020 at 7:58 am

I have a couple of friends who attended Gonzaga. One of them has three kids who attended/graduated. I attended St. Mary’s, so one of my friends and I always go back and forth about the St. Mary’s – Zaga rivalry.

• unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:51 pm

There’s a whole bunch of schools in Alabama like that.

36. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Lawrence having the worst game of his life,

37. zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 8:54 pm

This is is the 15th game for these two teams. The players are only marginally associated with the actual university classes. When could they have been going to class?

• djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:04 pm

No doubt there have been countless great student/athletes.
      But after Bill Bradley, I’m kinda stuck…

• snarkk said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:50 pm

I once saw Bill Bradley get out of the elevator I was waiting for in the lobby of a DC hotel. He was wearing a tux, and laughing with a handful of people dressed like they were headed to or coming from a party. He was fairly damn tall. I think he’d have been a decent president…

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2020 at 8:19 am

Hey, Richard Sherman got a degree at Stanford.

38. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:08 pm

I always thought Grambling St was alittle shady..

39. djloo27 said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:08 pm

I guess purple was overdue…

40. alleykat69 said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:39 pm

Joe Burrow>Andy Dufresene

41. zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Pretty long statement by the baseball commissioner on the the violations, but pretty interesting. The whole Astros team and some of the coaching staff were in on it. Hinch didn’t like it, but didn’t stop it. No one stopped it.

• snarkk said, on January 13, 2020 at 9:55 pm

So, who instigated the cheating and managed it? Hinch was the manager, if he didn’t like it he should have stopped it. The thing I don’t get is that the pitch tipping was done by banging on a garbage can? The other teams must have heard that, right? A 4-game set of garbage can sounds — wouldn’t that prompt some WTF questions by the visitors?…

• zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Cora was heavily involved, and then took his cheat-skills to the Red Sox. A case could be made he should be banned from MLB for life.

42. zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 10:06 pm

The trash can thing worked. No bang for a fastball, bang for an off-speed pitch. Why the other team didn’t figure it out is a good question. Crowd noise was enough to keep the opponent unaware somehow.

43. zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 10:43 pm

A case could be made for taking away the Astros championship, but that is unprecedented in pro sports. The commissioner wasn’t willing to go that far.

44. zumiee said, on January 13, 2020 at 10:46 pm

The Astros were kind of a Breaking Bad story. Gradual steps.

45. zumiee said, on January 14, 2020 at 12:00 am

Hinch’s laughable quote: “I didn’t endorse it, but I didn’t stop it from happening.”

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2020 at 8:20 am

Bud Selig and Tony La Russa are laughing as well . . .

46. willedav said, on January 14, 2020 at 7:36 am

Burrow was sure the better QB. Clemson in ACC was very weak league and no one hardly scored on them all season. LSU undid that in second quarter alone and once Clemson got game close 28-25.. they blew them away.
    For whatever reason, the great Larry Nance played there.
    the less than great Hank finkel (Jersey guy btw) played for Dayton Flyers now in the A-10, a team I am keeping close eye on. Their best player, 6-9 forward Obi Tappen, should be a Warrior first round pick in draft that is guard heavy.

47. chipower9 said, on January 14, 2020 at 8:03 am

Laissez les bon temps rouler! (Let the Good Times Roll.)

They just released the odds for winning the college football national title in 2020:

1. Clemson
    2. Alabama
    3. LSU
    4. Ohio State

Same shit…different year. Yawn…

• snarkk said, on January 14, 2020 at 8:35 am

The AAA for the NFL…

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2020 at 11:44 am

Except that AAA makes billions for the teams (not the players).

48. mrsprtdude said, on January 14, 2020 at 8:29 am

MLB weak for not even trying to suspend some of the players. Best result would be to force Crane to sell. If the GM was unaware, as some suggest, and her got axed why not the owner?

49. alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2020 at 10:35 am

I could tell right away in one of the playoffs game in Houston,Bregman scored and then laughing went up to the next hitter in the ondeck circle and whispered what to expect coming…
    I’ve lost all respect for Bregman,Altuve,Springer,Correa and probably most of the rest.And of course since no one had the balls to say enough is enough and come forward, they all will live in shame and hopefully get ripped by fans on road games as the organists pumps out “Trash Can Blues” for their walk up music…

50. Bozo said, on January 14, 2020 at 11:43 am

Players go from one team to the next, just like shopping at a mall. So you know ex Astro players had to mention it to their new teammates and nobody said anything to MLB because you know what? All the other teams probably had their own system going for relaying signs. MLB is riding their high horse and handling this just like they did with steroids, by laying blame on just a few when it was likely rampant throughout baseball and probably has been since 1845 or thereabouts.

If MLB really wanted to make a statement, they should drop all ticket prices 10% for all teams this year and add on another 10% for each team caught after that. If the fans are in fact getting “cheated”, let the fans reap the penalty dollars.

51. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2020 at 11:43 am

“Won’t get Fooled Again”

52. willedav said, on January 14, 2020 at 12:50 pm

book I read Bob Turley said in an interview he could tell what opposing pitchers were throwing from the stands, mostly by how they held ball in their glove. Offered to relay it to the hitters on Yanks, some said no they didn’t want it.
    He even did it with his own guys–watching whitey ford he got so he could call every pitch coming with 90% accuracy.

what stros did obviously went beyond with use of vid cams etc. but hard to believe no one knew, even on other clubs, that signs were being relayed. Those that wanted extra advantage had one. Interesting to see what comes of Beltran. Manfred is in full cover up mode and trying to sweep it under the table as isolated incident, lol.

• alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Cora&Beltran both need to have dishonorable discharges from baseball!
      Though it sounds now that Dumbrowski and the RedSox’s are going to let due process play out first.
      Yeah that’s just stupid on their parts with ST a month away, they should be looking for a new manager,same with the Mets…

53. alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2020 at 1:12 pm

SS Marco “Lucky”Luciano is now the #1 prospect among all SF Giants, passing Joey Bart for the top spot.3rd is Heliot Ramos then Bishop..
    Man I can’t wait for these guys to get to the show!

• Bozo said, on January 14, 2020 at 1:38 pm

Yeah Kat, I remember reading something awhile back that said Luciano would probably pass Bart on that list Might see some of these guys soon, to bad they aren’t beefing up the team so the kids aren’t carrying all the weight when they get to SF.

54. alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Yeah Bozo,
    They get the callups and their all secretly thinking :”Who the fuck are these old guys gasping for air and clogging up the bases:?

55. Flavor said, on January 14, 2020 at 8:07 pm

if you’re looking to add a cool twitter account you should check out this guy. TONS of badass pics like this one.

56. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2020 at 9:08 pm

57. zumiee said, on January 15, 2020 at 12:11 am

Alex Cora; he gone.

58. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2020 at 2:29 am

Carlos Beltran has to be next to go.To much of a distraction for the Mets going forward.And I wished the Commissioner leveled huge fines on every Astros player involved instead of giving them immunity for testifying..