Frustrating Winter

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 16, 2020

I really enjoyed reading yesterday’s thread, I thought everyone made valid points. My issue is not that I think we could compete this year. I just don’t see the need to go full tear down-lose as many games as you can-mode. I’m  not advocating signing Nicky C, I agree he wouldn’t make more than a few games of difference. But jettisoning Pillar and others while adding the Jake Jewell’s of the scrap heap, that’s not something a 77 win team can do and expect anything other than 60 wins next season. And that’s lame, we didn’t have to be a 60 win team in 2020.

SF season ticket holders are pretty much sheep who won’t complain about anything and will probably just continue to re-up and give the tickets away to their clients until the team is good again. Z and ownership know this and that’s probably why we’re seeing this off season approach of not trying to get better, like, at all.

And maybe that’s why they’re keeping Belt and Crawford. I have to believe someone would take them if we paid most of the rest of their deals. But ownership probably wants to keep making a boat load of money without completely alienating the fanbase–they’re sheep but they’ll only remain sheep as long as we run the core guys out there. The FB housewives love seeing those familiar names on the back of the laundry….

In the meantime Larry can keep building his shopping mall or whatever the fuck it is he’s doing…..

1. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 6:45 am

Yes, a massive rebuild can look ugly during the process. When the White House was rebuilt during Truman’s presidency it was massive but necessary. Truman had refused to bring his family into the White House because the building had gotten so rickety. So he spent most of his presidency living somewhere else. And the massive rebuild was done. It made the building strong and safe for a long time into the future, and, hey, they even added a cool new feature called the Truman balconey.
    It didn’t mean that the White House hadn’t been a great building before that, but it had become in need of great repair.
    And Truman was willing to be patient and make that sacrifice.

• Bozo said, on January 16, 2020 at 7:26 am

So your saying the Giants rebuild will last only 4 years like the WH rebuild? 🙂
      Besides all the pitching they lost, the Giants also lost around 50 bombs from a team that only hit 167. I hope I’m wrong, but I think getting that new balconey in SF may take longer than 4 years.

2. chipower9 said, on January 16, 2020 at 7:30 am

Agree Flav. Lots of good points made across the board in the last thread.

I’ve said my piece, so I am heading back to stare out of the window, and wait for Spring.

3. chipower9 said, on January 16, 2020 at 7:47 am

Great post by Blade yesterday re: where the Giants are, and where they are heading. I am on-board with Blade and SanDog. Let Z do his thing. How long will it take for the Giants to be relevant again? Nobody knows, but I am on board with the current direction.

Charlie – you asked about Stix’s email. I have not swapped letters with him in several months. Here is the last address I had for him when we were exchanging letters:

Carstie Clausen
    213 N. Main Street
    Bagley, MN 56621

I’ll get off my ass and drop him a line, too.

• djloo27 said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:02 am

I think that address is the Clearwater County Jail which they transferred him out of months ago.
      I think he was in Lisbon, Ohio?

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:39 am

Good catch, Loo.

I did some digging. Most current letter I have with me in my backpack/at work is from November of last year. And yes, it came from Lisbon, Ohio.

Address is:

Carstie Clausen
        Reg # 20796-041
        Federal Correction Institute Elkton
        PO Box 10
        Lisbon, OH 44432

4. willedav said, on January 16, 2020 at 7:58 am

mm yes we can all disagree about what path is best. Proof will be in the pudding…which right now looks lot like lumpy gravy.

watched Stanford beat UCLA (who suck) on road last night, with tough second half D and timely shooting (51% for game), mostly from 2 freshmen. They made all 8 3s of team and were 2 top scorers, no small accomplishment for team that hadn’t been on road for a month. Announcer don McLean thought very highly of what Haase team has been able to do defensively, and now they have more balanced scoring.
    They are 4-0 in league, 15-2 overall with Ls coming vs. Kansas and Butler, 2 very good teams.

5. willedav said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:12 am

Yes, SD, going to that game and meeting hanging with you Flav Snarkk Chuck and Zum was great and I’d do Flap game meet up at the O again in heartbeat…pre game $100 bar bill, post game, in game ball toss fu, the kids in front of us with 2 game balls, bomb from the Dick (near bomb from Posey), and a W. One hella night!

And btw props to undefeated SD St. Aztecs whom I watched bounce Fresno St. (always fun) on road the night before led by 22 from Malachi Flynn, looking like all America candidate.

6. willedav said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:22 am

Interesting story I saw on cbs, re: Cora’s red sox pitching getting hammered twice by Yanks early last season, and he makes reference to them adding Beltran. Alludes to but doesn’t come out and say more than Sox need to clean up some things and be more aware of what Yanks are doing. hmmnn

• willedav said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:31 am

Cora, after London series where Sox gave up 29 runs in 2 games to Yanks:
      “I was joking with someone…biggest FA acquisition was Carlos Beltran. I know how it works you know? He’s helping a lot. They’re paying attention to details and we have to clean our details.”
      This was dismissed at time by NY Post but, still gotta wonder what he’s referring to.
      And what will happen to CB.
      At least all the openings might mean old school guys, Baker and Showalter (maybe even Bochy too), might be in line for gigs as Shea said in his column in Chron yesterday.

7. sandog said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:57 am

Which guys have a better chance of helping us become legit contenders again—-Pillar and Cozart or Jewell and Wilson?I would argue the answer is Jewell and Wilson.  It’s a numbers game and we need to keep obtaining younger guys and see if we stumble on some guys who can play.
    As for why we still have Crawford and Belt—Craw has a full no trade and strong ties to the area.  I don’t see him agreeing to a deal–even if we could find one.  And oh by the way, we have no one to replace him.
    As for Belt, we must be getting lowball offers for him.  If someone wants to give us their Jewell or Joey Rickard for Belt and asks us to pay some of his salary—then I agree with keeping him.  I bet that is what is happening.  Z can find Rickards and Jewells for free.
    I really don’t think we are tanking.  We are going with young guys as much as possible and a fringe benefit baked into that is that we will pick at the top of the draft next year.

8. Bozo said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:14 am

I agree chi, I’ve also shared my opinion enough on the rebuild subject. “When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.” or however that old saying goes.

So, with Moronta probably out for the start of the season, I’m wondering who’ll win the closer role. I guess Gott could be the front runner over Watson, or if he isn’t needed as a starters Shaun Anderson could be the guy. I’m rooting for Gustave to win the job, I thought he looked like he had the stuff in his limited time last year.

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:17 am

When you are beating a dead horse, get out of the water.

9. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:16 am

DFA Crawfish. Replace him with Avelino. Luciano waiting in the wings. Trade Belt for Ellsbury. Hey, maybe we’d get cash from the Yanks.

10. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:34 am

Not going to happen,Giants don’t eat contracts especially Crawford’s the cute little kid that all the fans connected with…

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:18 am

Every time I see Crawford it bums me out. He’s fat, tired, weak and slow.

• djloo27 said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:50 am

And those are his strong points…

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:46 am

They’d better start. Farhan must be itching to jettison Crawdad. I mean, if Bummie;s off the table, the rest should be. Posey and Longo aren;t going anywhere this year.

They HAVE to lose Belt and Crawfish this year. Preferably before April, not after October.

11. Macdog said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:19 am

Former Giant news:

12. Macdog said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:24 am

Hensley Meulens is the Mets’ bench coach, maybe he’ll get a shot now.

• alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:43 am

That would be a good call Mac along with Loo’s boy Tom Goodwin in Boston.I sure hope Bochy doesn’t consider the Astros gig, he needs to step away for atleast this year for his health.Astros and all their issues would not be what the doctor orders for him and his EKG scan..

• Macdog said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:57 am

Good news, Kat: Rosenthal tweeted earlier that “Bruce Bochy does not plan to pursue any of the current managerial openings, according to a source.”

13. willedav said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:36 am

mm Beltran was one of few Latin ballplayers Twin had zero love for and used to rag on him for his time spent here. Said he didn’t do enough to help Pablo with Posey out. Lot of back and forth over whether Giants ever made overtures to Beltran after season, who moved on.

Dawg, Belt has to go. He has hit a plateau, only hits well on road and provides less from power standpoint. Sure its’ the park but he refuses to adjust to beat the shift. Doubt new coaching staff gets much of his attention. Take what you can get for him and move on. I’d be OK with Shaw Garcia Slater platoon over there, and btw imo might get more offense. And way less “that’s not a strike” nonsense. He’s the anti role model for younger players.

Craw is another story but again, his value is fading rapidly at the field and plate. I still think if Giants went to him and said hey, we’re looking at others to play SS and PT is going to be significantly reduced, the NT could be gotten around.

14. chipower9 said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:44 am

Unca – I posted an updated address for Stix, above…

• djloo27 said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:49 am

Chi – not to torture you, but do they let you send boxes like with books? I can check it out myself later if you don’t already know…

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:16 am

Last I recall you could send photocopies of newspaper and magazine clippings (which is what I was sending). There was the ability to send books through Amazon, I believe. You would have to check with the facility.

Quick google comes back with this as a phone number for that facility:

1-330-420-6200

I am on a conference call so I cannot call right now. Will call later to see what you can send, and also to try and confirm that Stix is there.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:50 am

Count me as skeptical but on board with Z and the losing that is inevitably going to continue. I’m unimpressed with the Kapler hire but am hoping the club comes out the other end in 3 or 4 years with a pipeline of talent beyond the first wave coming which is largely Sabevans doing.

16. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:52 am

If I’m a manager candidate for Houston I would be real skeptical about the players I’m trying to lead knowing their all shady and how I could build back the “trust factor” ever again…

17. Flavor said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:20 am

18. Flavor said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:28 am

look at this shit. Complete and total cheaters.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:37 am

Pretty crazy stuff. Wow

19. Flavor said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:31 am

and here this cheating fuck is telling them not to tear off his shirt.

20. Macdog said, on January 16, 2020 at 11:50 am

Smyly threw 7 shutout innings vs. the Giants last July 30 that lowered his ERA to 6.85 in a 4-2 win at Philly. I somehow remember Flav being not too pleased about this:

Flav said, on July 30, 2019 at 5:44 pm
    Just rolled into Black Butte and checked the score. Drew Smiley? This is embarrassing. The run of success is over. I pray there’s still time for Zaidi to work his magic.

• Bozo said, on January 16, 2020 at 12:01 pm

So long Trevor Oaks, we hardly knew ya.

• Macdog said, on January 16, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Much like the Zack Cozart era.

• Bozo said, on January 16, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Hah, the Zack Cozart era says it all. Thanks Mac, I’m stealing that one.

• willedav said, on January 16, 2020 at 12:06 pm

at least it’s not Drew Stubbs.

21. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Beltran had to leave the Mets. There’s no way the Mets could have kept him. Yesterday on the MLB Network, someone said the Mets had to make a decision soon because they had a public event coming up this weekend where Beltran would have had to be around news media people.

• alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Couldn’t he just use cheat cards to talk with to the media with?

• zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:30 pm

🙂

22. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2020 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Chuck…

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:14 pm

You bet, brother.

23. willedav said, on January 16, 2020 at 1:09 pm

Does this ruin any shot Beltran might have had at HOF?

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Not sure, but fuck Beltran. If he gets in, no way it should be before Barry Lamar.

• zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:32 pm

And how about Altuve and Bregman down the road? It’s going to be hard to respect those guys for a long time.

• alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:34 pm

For sure Fuck Beltran getting in the Hall over Barry&Jeff Kent too!
        Shit even Pete Rose should have a better chance then these scumbags.He only bet on games he didn’t make a mockery of it,and tell his teams to be lying 🤥 deceitful players!

• zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Maybe if they do a press conference and do an out and out confession. Just put it all out there, give a good apology, and kind of throw themselves on the mercy of the baseball world.

24. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Altuve was the 2017 AL MVP. LOL.

• zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 2:51 pm

The LOL is for Altuve trying to get in the Hall of Fame eventually. Good luck with that!

25. djloo27 said, on January 16, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Gaylord Perry is usually brought up in these types of debates…

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2020 at 3:42 pm

Did Perry ever get caught throwing spitballs? Or vaseline balls?

• Bozo said, on January 16, 2020 at 4:14 pm

So is the Shot Heard ‘Round the World. Also against the Dodgers.

• Bozo said, on January 16, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Although, never proven.

26. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2020 at 3:43 pm

So, as more of this comes out, was it only Altuve and Bregman that were cheating? Did any other players know?

• zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 6:05 pm

I think the report said all the players were basically in on it to some degree.

27. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 3:52 pm

One category the Astros will lead the the league in next year is HBP..
    They can’t expect to look at other big league players and get any respect.It will be a long and very scrutinized season for the Houston Asterisks…

28. djloo27 said, on January 16, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Z just can’t be chained
    To a life where nothing’s gained
    Or nothing’s lost, at such a cost