Speed Kills

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 24, 2020

Maybe we just have too much time leading up to this game. Maybe paranoia starts to set in for no reason. Maybe Salah is just engaging in hyperbole.  But this quote has me shakin’ in me boots.

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 5.48.44 AM

Giants News: As you heard, they signed Darin Ruf(faroundtheedges). He is old and he is back from Korea where he raked.

That is all.

1. willedav said, on January 24, 2020 at 7:34 am

nbc local site had interview with the Z who was saying Gausman (6.00 ERA as SP) and Smyly (similar) could both be in rotation as season starts and then transition to pen as needed. reason being Webb and Beede might not start season with ML club. did use the phrase “innings limits” in regards to young guys. hmmnn

Mac, my god, Serena Williams is just massive. Big hair, shoulders, body and zero finesse on court. Smash mouth tennis.

That was pretty funny dig from SD–“the chasing part.” I used to bug Raider fans that best thing their DBs did was chase a guy into end zone.

2. Bozo said, on January 24, 2020 at 7:54 am

On today’s episode of “As the Players Turn”, will we see Darin Ruf reach the pinnacle of being a player released by the same GM on two different teams? Stay tuned.

• Macdog said, on January 24, 2020 at 8:20 am

Dodgers traded future NLCS MVP and World Series champ Howie Kendrick for Ruf, haha.

• unca_chuck said, on January 24, 2020 at 8:24 am

“It’s a triumph of the Phillies player development system and of Ruf’s effort that he ever put on a Major League uniform at all.”

huzzzah!

3. unca_chuck said, on January 24, 2020 at 8:21 am

I love it, Flav. Bill Walsh thrived on this. All the narrative is how great KC is and how we don;t stand a chance.

• willedav said, on January 24, 2020 at 8:34 am

not here. vibe I get is no one can understand how Chiefs are even 1 pt favorite.

4. alleykat69 said, on January 24, 2020 at 8:28 am

Ruf Ruf his bat is worse then his bark!
    KC’s OC is thinking the same thing with the speed and quickness of the 49ers front 4 Ford,Buckner,AA,and Bosa the most dominating front line in football 🏈

5. blade3colorado said, on January 24, 2020 at 9:25 am

I will say this first – I hope the 49ers win the game.

That being said, the 49ers are very good defensively, but they’re no where near as good to the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens or 2002 Buccaneers. Nor are they anywhere near as good as our great dynasty teams of the 80s and early 90s. They struggle at times against the run (they finished No. 17 in the regular season) and they can have coverage issues against opponents deep in passing weapons, such as the Chiefs. Most important (and one reason why I dislike the NFL product today versus the 1980s and 90s version) – the rules and refs NO LONGER ALLOW DEFENSES TO “BLOW ON” THE QUARTERBACK, MUCH LESS HIT THEM. SIMILARLY, RECEIVERS HAVE SUCH AN ADVANTAGE OVER DBs. Consequently, it is so difficult to apply defensive pressure, especially to a guy like Mahomes and the weapons he has. Also note that the 49ers gave up 4.5 yards per carry and it’s also important to note that only the Bengals and Browns allowed more rushing yards on average per game to QBs. Jackson, Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray all caused issues when they all took off running or extended plays.

Does anyone really think that the Chiefs will be throttled by our defense? In my opinion, the teams are evenly matched and this will be a high scoring game, similar to the New Orleans game earlier this season. I understand completely why the Chiefs are slight favorites. Again, I am hoping the Niners can overcome that.

6. unca_chuck said, on January 24, 2020 at 9:53 am

I wouldn’t say throttled, but I think we outlast them. They are a one-dimensional team, they have no run game, but their one dimension is Mahomes. Bosa got a real learning experience biting on all those Jackson, Murray, and Wilson fakes. He has greatly improved at staying in his assigned spot and not overreacting. As has Greenlaw. They are both rookies, so they do have a lot of learning to do. Having Ford back helps immensely as well. But, like Deebo said, we’ve all been battle-tested down the stretch. I don’t feel like a rookie out there anymore.

That being said, we haven’t been this healthy since week 8 so I think we have a real good chance of winning. Something like 35-28. They are fast, but so are we. Esp on defense. Hitting Mahomes early and hard will do a lot to set the tone.

7. Flavor said, on January 24, 2020 at 9:54 am

Question for you legal folks– if stix’s release date is 11/20 can he get released early for good behavior or is that the drop dead date unless he fucks up in the clink?

8. Flavor said, on January 24, 2020 at 10:20 am

• unca_chuck said, on January 24, 2020 at 11:11 am

Flav, that’s likely a hard date. They usually take that into consideration when telling you your release date.

IOW, if you fuck up you go full-term. He could get released early, but it would be for some other different reason.

• chipower9 said, on January 24, 2020 at 11:16 am

An early release would be most likely for health reasons. Prison life has been hard on Stix.

9. chipower9 said, on January 24, 2020 at 11:13 am

I am cautiously optimistic with the Niners. Like Charlie (Unca) said, I dig it that everyone is all over Mahomes, how great the Chief’s offense is, etc. I love the Niners being the dogs in this fight.

Look, I will absolutely give KC and Mahomes their props, and I am not saying this because I am a Niner fan, but I truly think across the board that the Niners are a more balanced and complete team.

I think the Niner’s D line will match-up well against the Chief’s O line, and I think the Niner’s D line will match-up well against the Chiefs O line.

The Niners have proven they can win games in many ways, including a shoot-out, like New Orleans.

Again, cautiously optimistic.

If Niners are able to establish/play their game (run the ball, not turn it over, and contain Mahomes/not give up the big plays), I think the Niners will win this game.

I can’t wait to see…

10. unca_chuck said, on January 24, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Yeah, I don’t know how much the talk around the game affects the players, but it sure sounds like this media circus is going to be squarely focussed on Mahomes. That it is his game to win or lose.

I’m 99.9% sure that we are going to come out playing nickel, if not dime. Which means that Greenlaw won’t be on the field. I’m not crazy about this, but I”m pretty sure that’s how we roll to start the game. I would love to have a linebacker spying Mahomes, but as I’ve been saying, if we stay in our assigned lanes, we should be able to get pressure on him with our base D. As long as we surround him and force him to stay in the pocket. He does great on the move, but not so great when forced to move up in the pocket.

11. unca_chuck said, on January 24, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Not sure if this will be readable to y’all, but here’s a good article on how just being on the field with your team as they win the Super Bowl is valuable experience,

12. willedav said, on January 24, 2020 at 6:55 pm

Cauley Stein was not a bad Warrior. Thought he was really unselfish and did his best trying to fit in. didn’t look for his own shot and set screens for shooters or off high screen/roll with Russell. Wonder if this means more Spellman. His contract coming off books does allow them to sign back Chriss, and I think Bowman. Neither of them are much good but I guess this means GS will draft a big next season. One of reasons they are where they are now is crummy drafts in recent past, though Pascall looks like bona fide keeper.
    There are more good bigs in NBA than in a long time and they have to be defended too.

• zumiee said, on January 24, 2020 at 7:19 pm

It would have been cool to see Willie running the court with Steph and Klay. He never got that chance. Injuries messed up that opportunity.

13. Flavor said, on January 24, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Honestly, the thing I disliked most about WCS was just the way he looked—like a damn fool. His hair was possibly the worst he could ever configure it. Lol. He also did a lot of dumb shit on the court. I had hoped for more, won’t miss him. I agree with Zumiee though, it would have been fun to watch him run with Steph and Klay.

14. snarkk said, on January 24, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Just got back from dinner with Mrs. snarkk at one of my fav brew pubs. Friday night is clam chowder night, and it’s good. The Dubs are playing Pacers at home, but the pub on its multitude of TVs had a rerun of a woman’s tennis match last year at Wimbledon, and some kind of skiing Xgames type jumping somersault crap from Oslo. Dubs nowhere to be seen, though surely available on the DirectTV or whatever. Last year, they’d be on all the TV’s there, save one or two. That’s how far they’ve fallen out of view…