Fade Away Year

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 28, 2020

I like seeing the Dbacks trading for Marte. They’ll give the Dodgers a bit of a fight and that’s something to root for, I guess.

It still sucks for us. Z is spoon feeding us a throw away year and when tomorrow isn’t guaranteed it’s bullshit that we get an entire year of no hope whatsoever.

I’ll make it through the season, I love the sport and have no problem focusing on other teams/players through daily fantasy play. Part of me would really like to see the fans not act like sheep this year. Refuse to buy expensive season tickets for this crap product. A message has to get sent to Baer and his money driven cronies that this is an unacceptable way to treat such a loyal fan base.

1. Bozo said, on January 28, 2020 at 6:17 am

I don’t know what the number is now, but when they built the park there were 15,000 CSLs sold. Those licences are subject to forfeiture if the CSL holder doesn’t buy the full season package.
    My club level seats CSL was $10 grand when they built the park and I sold them for a profit when I moved. So at least 15,000 seat holders would be out a big chunk of change if they don’t reup.

• unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:21 am

I’m sure that number skyrocketed after 2010.

2. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 6:59 am

The attendance will drop dramatically. The 18-2 debacle at the hands of the D-Backs last year was prolly 17,000 butts in seats. By the 5th inning it was down to 7,000. This was mid-May after their shitty start. My son and I got lower box seats, like row 20, behind home plate for $26.00.

3. zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:02 am

I started wearing some 49er gear recently that I haven’t worn in years and a few of my friends needled me a little that I had “jumped back on the bandwagon.” So I decided to own it, and tell people “I’m back on the bandwagon!” I barely followed the Niners in the last several years.
    I expect some Giants fans to fade on the Giants for a while, but they’ll be back in force when the Giants are a playoff team again.
    The Niners got Bosa because they were lousy last season. They also hit well on their second and third round picks.
    The drafting matters. The Giants lost 98 games and got Bart out of that. If he turns out to be an All Star, the 98 loss season will fade out of memory.
    The Giants hit on Cain, Lincecum, Posey, and Bum in the first round to create the core of a dynasty. Unfortunately Sabean and Evans drafted pretty terrible the 10 years after that.
    We’ll see how well Z drafts. We don’t even know the answer to that yet. It takes time to tell. But his drafting record in LA was stellar. The Dodger minor leagues are still so loaded with talent it’s ridiculous.

4. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:23 am

Garp blowing his knee out is the move that propelled the franchise to this year’s greatness. Well, that and AZ going after Kyler Murray. . .

• djloo27 said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:28 am

So in a way the Chiefs helped get you Bosa.
      Plus you have Mr. Offside seeking redemption…

5. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:30 am

But Lynch made some very smart moves getting Alexander and Ford to speed up the defense. And Dre Greenlaw has been a huge 5th round find. He also banked on Jimmy Ward and Jaquiski Tartt to return to form and they did.

6. willedav said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:34 am

“unacceptable”, yes word. Looking at general trend of comments on other sites, like nbc or around foghorn sfchron while there is support for Z outlook for this year is grim and fans/paying customers aren’t happy about it. Most agree there is lot more to be done in terms of moving the unwatchable underperforming ones, that has yet to happen.

Great read yesterday Chron on Mahomes. Growing up in Texas, he got personal training help from 4th grade on and was in QB school (classroom and field training) in middle school. HS team dominated. Coach recalls times he was yelling at him to throw ball away and instead he threw long TD pass.
    All coaches say he has tremendous physical abilities and they didn’t try and contain him. Also encouraged him to play all 3 sports.

Remember seeing him at Tex Tech, and he was just amazing on a crummy team with zero D.

7. alleykat69 said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:58 am

Yeah it will be along Year with the flub cove players out their. Even a player like Marte would of lifted my spirits some..meh
    Zumie it’s still wait and see on the Niners 3rd rd pick Jaylin Hurst who was out all year.They should of drafted WR Terry McLaurin instead who had a good season with a shit Redskins team. Are even DK Metcalf the Terrell Owens of the future was available I believe..

8. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 8:24 am

It’s being reported Dusty to manage the Astros.

• snarkk said, on January 28, 2020 at 8:44 am

Dusty must really not like retirement.
      Good move by Stros to try to rehab a battered image…

• gianthead said, on January 28, 2020 at 10:43 am

Dusty’s image is not that bad:)

9. sandog said, on January 28, 2020 at 8:54 am

I think Z wants to use this year to figure out if we’ve got any decent pieces to build with moving forward.  Take the outfield for instance—there are a lot of questions out there—Can Dick and Duggar stay healthy?  If yes, can they be productive players?  Do we have something in Yaz where we can count on him for a few years going forward?  Is Jaylen Davis any good?
    If you would have brought back Pillar or you go and get someone similar—he takes away at-bats from all those guys and you don’t definitively answer those questions.  Yeah, you win a few more games, but you sure as hell don’t sniff the playoffs and I think you hamper your ability to build a competitive team down the road.
    I really don’t think it is about tanking and getting a high draft pick.
    (Though that is a nice little fringe benefit that comes along with this game plan)

• unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 9:05 am

Yup. The point being, will anyone they sign now help in 2022?

• chipower9 said, on January 28, 2020 at 11:11 am

Good points, SanDog, and I agree with your synopsis.

• zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 11:48 am

Well said, Dawg.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 9:04 am

Just saw Roger Federer won last night. Down 2 sets to 1, he fended off 7 match points and win in 5 sets. Went to bed after Roger took the 4th set tiebreaker after facing 3 of the 7 match points. Crazy.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 28, 2020 at 9:05 am

I’ve seen the numbers for season ticket holders as high as 70% at Snoracle. That was a few years ago when I was part of a group that had seats and it must be less now with the losing year over year. I had an opportunity to get back in with my former group this year and strongly considered it as they might be slightly cheaper as well as the potential to get a better location but ultimately decided against it. I’ll still watch and/or listen on the radio but will probably lean towards SJ Giants for in person games this year.

• djloo27 said, on January 28, 2020 at 10:38 am

Whoever came up with “Snoracle” is brilliant…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 28, 2020 at 10:46 am

Pretty sure it was me so…you’re welcome.

• Macdog said, on January 28, 2020 at 12:37 pm

This appears to be the first reference:

dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2019 at 10:57 am
        From a certain perspective Harper makes sense. He immediately improves a roster with a significant number of unmovable contracts and he’s young enough to still have an impact when Bart/Ramos arrive. All Zaidi has to do is get it done and then dazzle us with his ability to identify talent required to backfill the roster in 3 years. Sweet jesus, do something to keep it from becoming Snoracle Field

• Flavor said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:15 pm

nice find

12. zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 11:52 am

An X-factor is the new dimensions of the ballpark. Maybe the Flab Four/Bore Core get a few more HRs.

• Macdog said, on January 28, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Except our crappy pitchers will give up even more bombs.

13. willedav said, on January 28, 2020 at 11:58 am

I love you rebuild guys but I’m not in. One solid bat like Marte in the LU and then you build around that. I’m not into looking at a collection of chump no power guys like Slater Rickard or Duggar past ST. Make one of them win a ML job and dump the rest. Trust me none of these guys will be Giants in 2022 either, maybe sooner.
    More depth of talent the better especially when younger guys struggle or go into inevitable slumps.

As for Z, yes he has been part of successful draft and development teams. BUT he has never been in charge as the head guy. He was part of Beane’s group in Oakland and under Friedman in LA. Funny and depressing thing to me is, his GM is also brand new at this. So is his pitching coach who has never been more than assistant bullpen guy, nor the hitting coach biomechanics guru.
    Outside of Wotus (like him or not) no one has any experience at jobs they have been given. The mgr., lol was already a fail. Seems to me like this is bunch of people learning on job who don’t know wtf they are in for or what they are doing.

14. willedav said, on January 28, 2020 at 1:29 pm

OK sunnier topic. Lady came in store yesterday for travel raincoat(s) who is going Thursday to SB in Miami. I asked if she’d been there before and it turns out she was there last time Niners played in SB there. I couldn’t remember and she wasn’t so sure either.
    so which one is she talking about?

• unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 1:32 pm

XXIX. Their last win in 1994 over the San Dawgs. I think 3 of their 5 SB wins were in Miami. The 1st was Deetroit, and Stanfoo stadium the Dolphins game in ’84.

• Macdog said, on January 28, 2020 at 1:34 pm

Two in Miami, the Broncos game was in New Orleans.

• unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Ahhh, forgot that was in Nawlins.

15. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 1:30 pm

That’s kinda the point, Willie. If Welcome Back Kotter does well, then he stays. If he flails, then they get a new guy in 2022. If they all crash and burn, they do it when the team is down anyway. It may forestall the rebuild another year, but look at the 49ers for an example of a team that had a lot of shitty contracts and bad coaches as recently as 2016. They were in worse shape than the Giants.

They hired a head coach with no head coaching experience, and they hired a GM with no experience. A couple good drafts and a couple good FA deals, and a couple seasons of shit, and they are back. Baseball isn’t quite so dynamic, but it can be done in 4 seasons given the current state of the players on the team right now.

I’d like to see them competitive as well, but in today’s game, there’s little middle ground. Much like the middle class bearing the brunt of the 1%’s tax cuts, teams that try to incrementally improve, or even go overboard like the Padres, usually end up below .500 with bad deals around their necks. Signing anyone now is to project their production 3 seasons out. Farhan has made it clear he isn’t signing anyone to long-term deals.

16. Macdog said, on January 28, 2020 at 2:21 pm

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 28, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Another bat with no pop. Exciting. Or not.

17. djloo27 said, on January 28, 2020 at 2:22 pm

Exact quote from Michigan grad Frank Clark at media day:

“Y’know growin’ up I didn’t have no father that I had knew at the moment”

• alleykat69 said, on January 28, 2020 at 2:30 pm

He actually graduated?
      The bar is set extremely low at Michigan..

• Macdog said, on January 28, 2020 at 2:32 pm

You beat me to that one, Kat.

18. zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 2:49 pm

The abuse of the English language by athletes is off the charts these days. (“off the charts” is probably one of those overused phrases)
    Not that Mickey Mantle was so eloquent either, but the generation of texting and tweeting is turning athletes into free-form language-as-performance-art expressionists or something.

19. zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Some of the newer sports slang, I can’t get used to:
    Playing the game well is “balling.” Never going to get used to that one.
    Great stat numbers are “stupid good.” Whatever.
    “Scoring the basketball.” Gee, I think I’ll go walk my feet now.

20. alleykat69 said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Geez not much of a confidence builder for Donovan Solano!
    A guy that raked .330 doesn’t mean squat in Z’s mind.I get that Sanchez won a GG, but he can’t hit worth a lick(another overused phrase lol 😂)so is he competing now for Dubon’s job and Longo’s backup since Solano can’t play 3rd in the Giants minds?
    And does this mean Dubon is going to be the jack of all trades 2B/SS/CF?

• zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:08 pm

I can’t read Z’s mind but I’m sure he wants someone to develop into the role Kique Hernandez has with the Dodgers. A true super-sub. And like what Zobrist was for the Cubs.

• zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:10 pm

That’s kind of what Juan Uribe ended up being for the Giants in ’10. An incredibly valuable sub, who played a lot, with some pop in his bat.
        I gotta feel like Z has just about had it with Crawford already. It’s time for Craw’s playing time to take a pretty big hit.

• alleykat69 said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:28 pm

I guess that role wasn’t good enough for they’re best hitter last year.Z’man only sees Solano as a second baseman and not versatile enough to play anywhere else except PH which he’s phenomenal at.Starting to wonder if he will stick with the club now?You still need a strong bench and he fits that mold.

21. James said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Dusty Baker: atonement for the original sin of analytics, which inevitably leads to misogyny and the unethical use of technology.

22. zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:15 pm

Dusty would never allow his players to cheat. Oh, wait a minute….

23. alleykat69 said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Here’s some more stupid shit sayings that are not needed:
    We overcame a lot of adversity!
    Statistics can be misleading!
    It is what it is!
    They have to generate some offense!
    He always gives 110%!

• zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:38 pm

Yeah, I rarely listen to interviews with current athletes. I just about always flip the channel or mute the channel when a player is being interviewed. If I was making a list of athletes that I will always listen to, it’s pretty much former players, such Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson. I think they just about always give quality interviews.
      Greg Anthony gives great insight in his NBA studio job.
      Some of the MLB Network guys are good.
      I rarely watch the NFL Network. Their studio shows never captured my interest.

• zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:41 pm

Chris Webber does a good job as analyst working games with Marv Albert.
        I have a hard time with Reggie Miller’s voice. It bothers me for some reason. It’s like with Bob Costas; you can’t always put your finger exactly on what it is, but there’s just something annoying about it.

• unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Costas is annyong because there is sound coming out of his mouth-hole. I’ll listen to Richard Sherman or Dray all day long.

NFL shows are beyond unlistenable. Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders just drive me nuts. All the one I liked, including Eric Davis, all got caught up in the me too deal.

24. djloo27 said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:43 pm

Worst interview ever was Derek Jeter.
    He gave you nothing…

• zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Yeah, he and Mike Trout are experts at saying nothing. They are both so constantly aware of their brand, they’re like little corporations in human form.

• zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Trout tweeted this in response to the death of Kobe:
        “There are no words to describe the way I feel.”
        Well, you know what? There are a lot of words in the English language, and he could have tried and struggled to say something. To me, it was just typical Trout.

25. zumiee said, on January 28, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Some of the Super Bowl players rambled trying to say something about Kobe, but at least they tried. I’m not completely sure what Kittle was saying, but he was trying.

26. Flavor said, on January 28, 2020 at 4:57 pm

i remember reading this, I was totally into it. But reading it now, 40 years later, it is so funny and so much better than when I read it as a kid

27. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2020 at 5:12 pm

What a different world. That’s pretty funny shit about the hotel. I’m sure I told you guys I ran into Clark and Montana walking around Hillsdale mall in San Mateo about 3 months after the Super Bowl. No one recognized them and I couldn’t believe it. I said shit like ‘you don’t know how badly the fans needed this. How the Dallas game was gonna be the best thing ever and how they’d never have to buy a drink in SF for the rest of their lives’. They were both goofy and funny aw shucks kind of guys, and I couldn’t impress on them enough how desperate the fans were for that first Super Bowl.

What really struck me is how small Joe was, and how big Dwight was.

• djloo27 said, on January 28, 2020 at 6:31 pm

Seems like most Dwights are big.
      Except maybe Eisenhower…

28. djloo27 said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Not to be taken the wrong way, but the Kobe tragedy (and funerals yet to come) have destroyed much of the hype and whatever else goes along with Super Bowl week…

• alleykat69 said, on January 28, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Loo..Not to be insensitive either,but can you even phantom if it was the Rams playing the Chiefs in the SB? Jesus the whole world except for Kansas City would be rooting for LA.”Lets win one for Kobe&Gigi”! The media with that matchup would be off the charts!

29. Flavor said, on January 28, 2020 at 7:57 pm

Super Bowl hype is stupid. I actively look away. All I care about is the game.

• djloo27 said, on January 28, 2020 at 8:10 pm

I have no experience with it.
      Been looking away for a half century.
      There are Super Bowls I didn’t watch a single second of…

30. willedav said, on January 28, 2020 at 9:16 pm

F/G has zips projections on Giants. Yaz has drop off, no one hits 20 bombs, Posey is WAR leader among position player at 3.0. Yaz and Belt .750 OPS projected as best of bunch. They like Gausman but not Cueto or smdz too much. Pen looks very weak except for Watson.

• djloo27 said, on January 29, 2020 at 4:06 am

I wouldn’t trust Watson in a split-squad game in early March.
      Can’t wait for Sunday.
      It’s hitting me hard now.
      THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS ARE IN THE SUPER BOWL