Three Days

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 31, 2020

Where is everyone watching the game? I’ll be in Reno with some of my main men. I am hoping San Diggity puts me on a group text with him and Loo but I understand if that type of enemy infiltration is too much for them to handle. Fair warning: there will be no texts from Big Flavor reassuring you if you put me on a group text. I *assure* you.

Here’s a clip of that idiot Francesa saying you can’t watch the SB alone only to, one second later, reverse course and say he wishes he could watch the game alone. This guy is one of the dumbest, corniest, most self absorbed sports show hosts I have ever listened to. And luckily I only hear the clips this dude posts on twitter.

1. chipower9 said, on January 31, 2020 at 6:25 am

With all big games (Niners, Giants playoffs, Oklahoma football, etc.), I like to hunker-down. I get intense, pace, cuss at the TV, etc., and just feel more comfortable in the confines of my own casa. Also, if I need a fresh beer, cocktail, or need to take a leak, etc., I can pause TV and pick-up where I left off when I get back.

Not sure this was shared…Looks like Coleman, Kwon and Tartt while limited in the last practice, are expected to play.

2. willedav said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:14 am

I think Twin said something once about football being best watched at home on TV. As Chi said, you got your own beverage of choice, food, pause (or mute) button and best seat in the house, no lines in bathroom.
    Plus I could nap through halftime if need be.

Pretty funny Chron the other day had highlights of last time SF played big one in Miami. As Unc mentioned that was the thrash of Chargers, led by Young, OC Mike shanahan, Seifert yada yada. Plummer had played with SD before and knew everything that was coming. Said he was so hyped during practices coaches almost threw him off the field.

3. djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:59 am

I may need to re-read Twin’s brilliant post below during and after the big game…

twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 10:08 am (Edit)
    Is there not enough in life that must be dealt with by facing a perhaps grim reality ? The kid is a miscreant, the bills total more than the income, your hair is falling out…here’s what you need to understand to have the proper perspective on baseball: it’s unimportant. Sure, we yell at the ump, groan when Rowand grabs a bat, cheer wildly and boo loudly- but when they’ve won or when they’ve lost- you’ve only had three hours of diversion, hopefully enjoyable,but of no import..a couple of posters have said “not to be a doomer”, or words to that effect- well, then don’t. It doesn’t serve a purpose, it doesn’t make you feel better, it doesn’t change what will happen.. there’s not a reason in the world, whilst viewing a nine game deficit with ten to go, to not say: ” it ain’t over yet”..

snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 10:17 am (Edit)
    Your best post since, well, maybe as long as I’ve been here…

twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 10:25 am (Edit)
    I’d rank it about 223rd.

PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2011 at 11:39 am (Edit)
    It is your best, or one of your best. A beautiful treatise on PERSPECTIVE. Thanks.

4. willedav said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:22 am

Nice Loo. 2011 was such a dark year…Glass played 60 games, Torres fell apart, the IF had names like Tejada font keppinger and O Cab. The Prez and Stewart had to fill in for Posey, guys like Runzler in pen.
    wasn’t that also the year we had Flap meet up at First/Main in Los altos, the pic with San dawg James Wisco and Flavor?

• Macdog said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:43 am

And the Giants still won 86 games.

5. chipower9 said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:29 am

Great post from Twin, Loo. Thanks for sharing.

6. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:46 am

Watching the game at home with some friends. Kinda running the jinx as the same people are coming over that watched the NFC Championship game at our house 2 weeks ago. Not that I’m superstitious or anything. I was invited somewhere else, but begged off.

I will say this, I did learn to put things in perspective reading Twin’s posts back around 2008-’09. Mainly because of what he was dealing with every day of his life.

Whilst . . . lqtm

7. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:52 am

^ ^ ^

8. alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2020 at 9:32 am

In my earlier years of SF 49ers dominating under Walsh&Siefert winning SB games I did like to go to friends houses are even mine once throwing these huge parties of plenty of food/decorations/beer/booze /shots after a Niner score.But back then you couldn’t pause the game with VHS nor would you anyway with a bunch of party revelers, so you really can miss a lot of the action during a pile on lol 😂.
    Now yeah I’m much more kicked back, just enjoying the game at home this year making chicken wings and a few side dishes with just a couple friends stopping over.It is a lot less stressful and you can get a good skink on knowing your not driving, plus like Chi mentioned you can pause the game, go take a leak, grab a plate of food and catch up later, not something you can do at a huge gathering unless you record it at home first. Big Bang 49er Game!!
    Number 6!!! That would be something under the new exciting squad put together by Shanhan&Lynch in only they’re 3rd year( sound familiar under Walsh) so hoping to kick some Chiefs butts up and down the field!!!

9. gianthead said, on January 31, 2020 at 9:40 am

I prefer to pass over the larger 70 inch tv in our family room in order to watch in my smaller screen man cave with stereo on and will just have my boys with me and they will only be half into it. Lord help me if the wife invades my zone!!! That Brady lover will only bring me and the Niners bad luck!!!

• chipower9 said, on January 31, 2020 at 10:22 am

Gail knows that I expect to have run of the house during the super bowl…hell, we discussed it last night when she asked if I had any plans for the game (yep, watching it right here at home, undisturbed).

We will have the grandson this weekend (not mine biologically, but I claim him), and if it gets raucous in the house with EJ (the tike), I will take it out to my shop/man cave.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 10:45 am

The first Super Bowl in ’82, I blacked out by the end of the 3rd quarter. Me and a friend (same one I’m watching the game with on Sunday), split a quart of mescal, and the worm, at halftime after partying all morning and being giddy that there was no way we could lose cuz we were up so big. We were at some rando apartment in Berkeley. After the game, I vaguely remember puking in the elevator and breaking a gate as I got violently sick outside the building. When I woke up about 3 hours later, I was laying in an ivy hedge. Everyone else had disappeared. I looked around for John, and eventually found him in the basement of the apartment building huddled next to the water heater passed out. Still can’t drink tequila.

Didn’t realize till the next day that the game was so close in the end.

• gianthead said, on January 31, 2020 at 11:04 am

THAT IS THE POST OF THE DECADE!!!

• gianthead said, on January 31, 2020 at 11:05 am

I cant do tequila shots either…

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 1:03 pm

Great story, Chuck!
      I swore off shot years ago, although once in a while the peer pressure will get me…

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 31, 2020 at 11:42 am

Heading to my brother’s house to watching the game with him and my boy who has become a huge 49er fan this season. It’s great to see his excitement for the local team- he’s a big fan of Debo Samuel. We watched the Ravens/49ers SB from 2013 the other day and he got super fired up about missed calls and then was crushed by the loss. His reaction sort of surprised me with SB XLVII being before he was born and whatnot so I’m slightly concerned about how he might process a negative outcome on Sunday. No need to worry though-Bang bang Niner Gang, baby!

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2020 at 12:32 pm

i saw pics of your kid on FB, you are raising him right, Dirt.

12. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Oh, we’ll be doing shots of whiskey should we win.

13. djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 3:41 pm

Good news for Niner fans.
    Francesa picks KC: 33-27

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2020 at 5:07 pm

that is FABULOUS news, woo hoo this is in the bag!!!!

14. zumiee said, on January 31, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Brian Regan on the Flap! Always a good thing.

15. willedav said, on January 31, 2020 at 6:32 pm

something else Twin would have liked: story in Chron yesterday about how much Alex Smith helped Mahomes. Mahomes and Reid verified this and said he was great and supportive. Even Staley said he wasn’t surprised Smith helped the guy he figured they drafted to take his job.

• willedav said, on January 31, 2020 at 6:34 pm

don’t recall seeing anything said re: Brady and Garappolo either. The G was there for 2 SBs with NE, right? He said something earlier in week about media frenzy having already experienced it in person.

16. willedav said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Watching G League, where Ky Bowman is dominating with dozen points in first quarter. which says lot about quality of G league ball but…
    also of interest team they are playing (Heat affiliate) has K Z Okpala from Stanford on it. Announcers said he averages 11 a game.
    Warriors head guy is Kris Weems, from Stanford and used to head HS coach at Menlo School.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:39 pm

Francesa has had his day. Actually, he never even had half a morning. A tiresome Imus confrere. Some people should know when to turn off the mike. I will watch with a squad of abstemious confederates, most of the same crowd as New Year’s Eve. Because collectively and individually we mysteriously and miraculously survived countless episodes resembling unca_chuck’s 10:45, we may even remember the game. I honestly don’t know how many fellow Niners fans will be there. I don’t own 49ers gear but may wear Giants stuff. Or my Calvin Klein sweater, hoping chicks will like it better. Never give up. As of now, I am toying with the notion of making handcrafted artisanal potato chips. Though they allegedly originate (“sourced”) from not-far Buffalo, I never eat wings. Too messy. Too much work. Same reason I don’t like pork or lamb chops. I can just imagine Twinfan scolding me, or educating us.

• Flavor said, on February 1, 2020 at 5:36 am

you packed a lot of gold into this comment Kokonuts, hope to see you around more often.

18. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:40 pm

Jimmy G gives a world of credit to Dino Babers, the current SU coach: https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2020/01/49ers-qb-jimmy-garoppolo-i-wouldnt-be-in-super-bowl-without-syracuses-dino-babers.html

• willedav said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:01 pm

Ha thx Pawlie.
      Speaking of Buffalo, the second leading scorer for Santa Cruz Warriors in the b-ball game I am watching is Isaiah reese from Canisius out of the MAAC conference.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:23 pm

Jesuit, like my alma mater, Le Moyne

19. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:41 pm

Was Jan Stenerud from Norway, and was he the first to kick bare-footed?

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:50 pm

He was from Norway, but did not kick barefooted, Pawlie…

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:51 pm

I knew you’d know. Who kicked barefoot, if anyone?

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:51 pm

At least as a pro he didn’t…

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Here’s a good article. I didn’t remember:

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Loo, that is a brilliant article, one of the best I have read on any subject in a while. Is Chuck Klosterman, like, a thing?

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 9:20 pm

TL/DR

20. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Is it a symptom of bipolarity to fly in here, blitz-post, and then escape for nine months? Asking for a friend.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Anyone familiar with the demi-monde slang term MSOG? Ahhhh, to be young again.

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:00 pm

This is a family blog, Pawlie…

22. djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:04 pm

JFK didn’t get a sendoff like Kobe…

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:35 pm

. . . not quite. But arguably his death is as memorable to this generation as JFK’s was to mine

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:42 pm

I’m expecting a riderless horse down La Cienega Blvd next.
        After the tributes fade, the lawsuit parade will begin…

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 9:27 pm

And there’s something to that.

23. alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:15 pm

To answer your question Pawlie, they’re was 2 barefooted FG kickers.Tony Franklin of the Eagles was the 1st back in the late 70’s and early 80’s.Then Rich Karlis with the Broncos in the 80’s as well.

• Macdog said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Paul McFadden with the Eagles and Giants in the ’80s was another one.

24. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Steve Miss-a-Mile was a barefoot kicker for the Niners iirc.

25. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:28 pm

We also had a barefoot punter, jim Miller.

• alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Yeah they both sucked.Wonder if they would of been any better with a sock on?

26. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:37 pm

That article about it posted by Loo is chock full of info

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 8:39 pm

I google-bumbled into it…

27. djloo27 said, on January 31, 2020 at 9:22 pm

The NTSB investigation into the disappearance of Amelia Earhart is expected to be concluded shortly…

28. zumiee said, on January 31, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Lakers lose their first game back at the Staples Center, as the Clippers did last night. Energy is not fully there yet.

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2020 at 7:00 am

Lakers just announced that for the rest of the season the team will be known as the “Kobes.”
      New logo will be unveiled in a few days…

29. willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 7:15 am

that Klosterman column was pretty funny, “..people who threw like Garo Yepremian.” Offensive guru Mike Leach though, continues to churn out QBs even though his teams aren’t so great. Last season Gardner Minshew did fine as rookie QB from Washington St. for awful J-Ville. This season local kid from Half moon Bay played QB for Wazzu and had tremendous season, and reportedly outshone bigger names at Senior Bowl showcase.

• Macdog said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:30 am

Late-morning hoops at the Rock, and the Hall is getting its ass kicked by Xavier 28-6. Yikes!

• willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:34 am

ouch. Powell though is for real and certainly capable of comeback. Stanford lost at home to bottom feeder Oregon State the other night, third L in a row. And next up is Oregon and Pritchard..
        wish I didn’t have to work most of day, could watch college ball all day long.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:40 am

Mac do you like their big man, Romaro Gil? Is he really 7-2? Where did they get him from?

• Macdog said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:53 am

Yeah, 7-2, Gil sure looks it, gets a ton of blocks, a bit raw on offense, he’s out right now with 2 fouls. From Jamaica but played Juco somewhere. Powell got his first basket with 4 minutes left in half, Hall creeping back, down 12 at half.

30. willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:54 am

Hall got it down to 12 at half, saw couple minutes. Nice shot fake, pull up J by Roden, that was always my fav move head and shoulder fake then slide by defender.
    Dang gotta run good luck. Hope Powell’s teammates help him out and he gets going. sometimes a FT gets shooter back in the groove.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 1, 2020 at 9:17 am

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 1, 2020 at 9:20 am

Mostly just like the artwork. For the Spanish language challenged manaña = tomorrow. lulz

32. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Chiefs have 2 big things in their favor.
    A pretty big edge at the QB position and the rules that favor a passing offense.
    Only reason Chiefs are favored is the love affair that the country has with Mahomes.
    The old school “defense first” money is on SF. “Wise-guy” money also going on Niners…

• Macdog said, on February 1, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Who knows? Two years ago was the 2nd-highest scoring Super Bowl (1 point behind the top spot), and last year was the lowest-scoring Super Bowl.

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm
  33. pawliekokonuts said, on February 1, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Niners. (And Chiefs, for Loo.)

34. pawliekokonuts said, on February 1, 2020 at 4:39 pm

TedSpe. (How did he sign off, “gentlemen, I presume?”) He sends me an annual Christmas card. Seems well.

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2020 at 5:38 pm

Goodnight gentlemen (question mark?)

35. pawliekokonuts said, on February 1, 2020 at 4:45 pm

Offline, Magnus chided me (gently, with love) for my prolonged absence from here while I traipsed the demimonde. So, I’m back. For now. Doing penance hahahaha. I’ve written a bunch more books, this being the latest: https://amzn.to/2MMO0lt The next one is about my trip to Tuscany last November.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 6:10 pm

mm thx Loo. I’ve read the other ones from Pavs and this is pretty typical. He defends Craw by pulling out the
      “he’s not that far removed” from take. BS he’s been dropping precipitously since 15/16. OPS slugging XBS BA all way off what he used to be able to do. It’s very intriguing to see possibilities here with Dubon as regular SS Sanchez and solano filling in middle IF and Sanchez can play 3b too. Better defense and maybe even more offense too.
      and Pavs is also wrong about eye test for Craw’s d–he’s too big and doesn’t move as well as before either.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 6:19 pm

XBHs, down from 50+ in a season to 37 last years.

• alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2020 at 6:29 pm

And if they think they want to make Dubon a super utility guy, put him all over the infield and not in the outfield!
        God I just hope Jaylin Davis is they’re Centerfielder from day1,kid has all the tools to be special, and he’s ONLY 25, freakin give him 500 AB’s!Besides Dubon they’re is no other true athlete on the team!!

36. willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 6:18 pm

Jenkins had nice column today in Chron about how good Chiefs were 50 yrs ago, with great pic of Joe Kapp being harassed by Curley Culp and Buck Buchanan.
    Meanwhile Z says he is picking up 1 or 2 OFs before ST. mm bout time eh?

37. willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 6:48 pm

#2 for the Vanderbilt commodores is Scotty Pippen Jr., who I just watched drive to the hoop and score last 3 times he’s had the ball vs. Florida. Averages 11 a game as freshman for coach Jerry Stackhouse.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2020 at 6:52 pm

and he’s missed 3 FTS in a row. As a G, playing at home, vs. top ranked team you are trailing by 10 in second half, unacceptable.

38. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:23 pm

The Super Bowl is the equivalent of Game 7 of the WS, Stanley Cup finals or NBA finals. World Champs or bust.
    Never had to go through that with the 3 in 5 Giants. So for me, I guess it’s the biggest game since Game 7 vs. Angels in 2002…

39. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:35 pm

Omar Vizquel had 2,877 career hits.
    How the fuck is that possible?

40. mrsprtdude said, on February 1, 2020 at 8:41 pm

@ Chuck re same friends etc.. It’s not crazy if it works!!! I’ll have my Rice jersey and SF hat ready to go. My daughter in Az as well:)
    Post re 82 super bowl funny shit!!

41. alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2020 at 9:06 pm

Well I will tell you Loo,
    Omar played 24 freaking years, 5 Presidents went thru the Oval Office. 24 times 123 hits average a season comes up to 2,872 hits! Other than that I’ve got nothing..