Look At Me! Look At Me!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 10, 2020

I don’t watch shows like the Oscars–all those people do is celebrate themselves—incomplete despite money and fame, now they want hardware, too? Screw them. The only reason so many people watch is because the regular Joe wants to forget his boring life for a night and to feel involved in the industry somehow with their his own opinion on what movie was good or bad. Seriously, who cares?

A new week is born and we eagerly wait for Zaidi’s next move. my prediction is…. Chris Speier—sure he’s 69 but he’s already had 2 go-rounds with the team and we know how Baer loves to bring back those old Giants. Third times the charm? I bet he could still put down a mean bunt….

1. willedav said, on February 10, 2020 at 7:51 am

Having to keep Pederson doesn’t exactly make LA any worse. Lot of talent up and down that lineup for Roberts to play around with.
    Interesting to see what happens at ML level with the Dodgers highly touted farm. Verdugo was one of them, had a good season and now he’s gone for a year of Betts before he becomes FA. They have the kid C, Lux for IF and young pitching.

AZ and Pads are definitely better so NL West race might be lot more interesting even if Giants not a part of it.
    And really, to me it’s not about taking the division away from LA, it’s just about getting into playoffs with a chance to take them out in a short series. Worked just fine for the Nats

2. djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:10 am

Funny you should mention Speier, who I happened to look up the other day.
    I had no recollection of him playing as much as he did on the ’87 West Champ team.
    I didn’t even remember he was on that team…

3. willedav said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:11 am

Other weird thing about the Betts trade is that Dodgers are OK with acquiring Graterol from Twins, pending physicals of course, while Red Sox were obviously not. Pederson of course could still be dealt off. Only making $7.5 mil, 36 bombs last season, FA next year. Local kid too hmmnn..

4. willedav said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:34 am

Speier very much “good Giant”, from different era when SS wasn’t considered on offensive position. Career .246 hitter and only couple times did he get OPS into mid-.700s range, and rarely double digit HRs (high was 15 back in 70s).

5. alleykat69 said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:35 am

I know Chris Speier all the way back to his rookie year in 71.You could just tell he was going to be special, something the Giants were missing at that position before he arrived.Imagine a take charge guy kid with the likes of Mays&McCovey &Marichal on the team. He also had help from Tito Fuentes being his DP duo, they seem to had the chemistry right from the start! And his 1st year they win the west title only to lose to the Pirates (screw you Bob Robertson with 3 killer HR’s) but still a solid Giants player for many years..

6. chipower9 said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:01 am

Chris Speier…LMAO. But, in all seriousness, loved him at SS.

Westminster dog show begins today, and that is always my reminder that spring training ball is just around the corner. Regardless of how shitty this year’s team might me, I am ready for some baseball!

Pitchers and catchers report TOMORROW. First workout is Tuesday. Full squad reports on the 16th. First full workout is the 17th. Play Ball!

• snarkk said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:08 am

I always go with the Pappillon…

• chipower9 said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:26 am

I have a friend who I compete with in barn hunt, and she has a Boston Terrier in the mix this year. I grew-up with Bostons, and have seen quite a few over the years, and her Boston is the absolute best looking Boston Terrier I have ever seen. If you see a Boston from Petaluma named Trinket, that’s her. Go Trinket!

7. snarkk said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:07 am

Garcia out for the year with a hip. Who’s backing up Posey. Pablo?…?

• chipower9 said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:28 am

I have heard that Z is reaching-out to Benito Santiago.

8. Macdog said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:21 am

As a youngster early in his SF Giants fandom and rooting from the east coast, this Sports Illustrated cover was super cool:

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:52 am

All the SI covers were the shit back then. ALL OF THEM. I miss those days.

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:01 am

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:13 am

• djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 11:23 am

Obsessed with that uniform which MUST be brought back.
      I bought the Bobby Murcer road version in a drunken stupor a few months ago…

9. Flavor said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:51 am

djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:10 am (Edit)
    Funny you should mention Speier, who I happened to look up the other day.
    I didn’t even remember he was on that team…
    ___________________
    Funny you should say that. Somewhere in the early 2000’s my buddy started talking about Speier on that ’87 team. He’s an A’s fan he doesn’t even like the Giants. I was like “Dog, you are mistaken, Speier played for the Giants in the 70’s he never came back a second time.”
    My buddy bet me $50.
    I lost $50.

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:03 am

You guys make big bets with each other.

• alleykat69 said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:29 am

Yeah I once won a big poker hand with my buddies once, over $50 buck but also included 6 pints size bottles of Old Grand Dad Whiskey 🥃 when one friend was short of cash for the pot so we all said no problem you’re in!
      When I ended up winning the hand with a straight flush, I did my best Deliverance moment and said “I want you boys to squeal like a pig as I put my hand to my ear and yelled out weeee weeee!!”

10. zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:10 am

I recently got the Athlon baseball season preview magazine. It seems a little dated already because it doesn’t have the huge sign cheating scandals in it. The magazine went to press too early for that.
    But lots of good reading in it as always.
    The magazine says that last season 35% of total ABs ended with a walk, strike out, or HR.
    And with the stolen base number shrinking, it all combines to make less action on the field. Not news to us, but baseball as it is now.

11. alleykat69 said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:13 am

Speier actually at the age of 33 had his best year ever in 1977 with the Tigers batting .309 in 673 AB’s!
    Ended his career with Oakland with only 45 AB’s and hung em up..

• djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:35 am

Tito Fuentes also had his best year as a Tiger I do believe…

• djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:37 am

That’s who you’re think of, Kat – just checked…

• alleykat69 said, on February 10, 2020 at 11:15 am

Yeah I just noticed my screwup Loo 😂
        Hard to bat .309 for a team you never played on.Was a solid year for Tito though…

12. alleykat69 said, on February 10, 2020 at 11:56 am

Baseball returns to the field next week when pitchers, catchers and cheaters report to ST!!

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 12:02 pm

Gold!

13. sandy32koufax said, on February 10, 2020 at 12:35 pm

I was a kid in San Mateo in 71, my last yr i Little League. Our coach took us to the equivalent of fanfest. We met the projected starters that day, including Dick Dietz, Al Gallagher & Speier. Fun day, first time that I got meet the GOAT.

Anyway, since you guys are talking old school football & betting, here’ one that you will win 95 times out of 100. Who was Steve Young’s first All-Pro TE? No Cheating.

• sandy32koufax said, on February 10, 2020 at 12:40 pm

I think that thin I went to was a baseball clinic now that I think o it.

• djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 4:18 pm

I have no idea, but I bet Unca Chuck knows.
      Is it some kind of trick question?

• sandy32koufax said, on February 10, 2020 at 7:27 pm

No trick. Shame there is no “tag” feature on WordPress.

14. Macdog said, on February 10, 2020 at 1:54 pm

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 2:31 pm

15. chipower9 said, on February 10, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Not sure if this has been previously shared. If it has, apologies for the duplication. I’m not a big fan, but the item that has most of my focus now (and it is probably a losing battle) is institution of the DH across all of baseball.

16. djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 3:59 pm

I wonder how the reconstruction at AT&T is progressing.
    Anyone see or hear anything?

• Macdog said, on February 10, 2020 at 4:07 pm

• djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 4:09 pm

You’re amazing, Mac!

17. djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Giants could face Bum twice in late March/early April.
    Not sure who I’ll be pulling for…

18. zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 4:24 pm

MLB Network today pretty much shredded Hinch over that interview on Friday. The media is going to non-stop roast the Astros this season, unless the media gets straight answers to questions. The Astros players are going to have a very non-fun season.
    The Astros broadcasters will probably toe the line and not cause waves, and try to ignore the elephant in the room.

19. zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Kings have quietly won 6 of their last 8, but are playing the Bucks tonight. Yikes.

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 5:11 pm

No Giannis tonight. Out on paternity leave for the birth of his son.

20. djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 5:19 pm

Ancient history:

Parents not knowing the sex of the baby before its born…
    Handing out cigars…

• alleykat69 said, on February 10, 2020 at 5:54 pm

In the old days if you wanted a boy, you just strapped on some chaps and stirrups and try and ride her for 10 seconds…

21. zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 7:30 pm

(face-palm)

“MLB considering new postseason format for 2022:
    4 more teams and a live TV show during which 2 clubs from each league would select their 1st-round opponents.”

• Macdog said, on February 10, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Maybe the Giants will have a shot at the playoffs in two years after all!

22. James said, on February 10, 2020 at 7:39 pm

I’m actually considering going to my very first opening day ever. My team finally has the kind of leadership that would have been reading and comprehending Bill James back in 1981, had they been reading well past their grade level. Who knows, maybe they were! Celebrate good times, come on!

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:24 pm

• James said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:27 pm

I love that what have I wrought expression.

23. snarkk said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Re: zumiee’s 10:10 post.
    With a huge portion of ABs now resulting in basically inactivity on the field, I think it’s time that the defensive shifts be restricted. Have to have two guys on either side of 2nd base. Bring back the up the middle base hit…

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 8:48 pm

I used to be against this, but I’ve come around on this. I’m just so tired of watching balls pounded into the shift. It’s so boring.
      The number of singles hit has been shrinking, which seems so bizarre.

• djloo27 said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Most people in attendance could care less. All they want to do is stuff their faces, get loaded and most of all stare at their motherfuckin’ phones…

24. James said, on February 10, 2020 at 9:06 pm

I don’t think this would change the fundamental logic of rewarding players who try to swing at pitches only in the strike zone and who aim for XBHs. It certainly won’t bring back the stolen base, which, like all 60’s small ball, is inherently pretty stupid strategy when it’s not used sparingly.

25. zumiee said, on February 10, 2020 at 10:49 pm

I wonder if the baseball free agents who are still unsigned feel “lost in the supermarket.”

26. unca_chuck said, on February 11, 2020 at 10:27 am

Love that song, and album.

With the Niners it’s Brent Jones. With the Buccos the TEs were Giles and Bell? One of them mighta been a pro bowler.

27. sandy32koufax said, on February 11, 2020 at 6:00 pm

You were def on the right track, Chuck, wrong team. LA Express signed him for a crazy $40M where he and his first All-Pro TE Played Ricky Ellis is his name and he’s an old drinking buddy of mine or I may not know that. “All-Pro” was the clue. Again, good thinking, Chuck.