Longshots!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 22, 2020

We had some great answers for “longshot guy to keep an eye on” this Spring. Answers ranged from The Bore Core to a relief pitcher named Gustave–he could also be the team cobbler, I dunno I’ll have to check. I am fully on board the Jaylin Davis train. I’m worried he isn’t going to get a fair shake with so many aged outfielders standing in front of him. But if he forces the issue he could easily be that long shot we’ve been waiting for.

Kapler jizzin’ about Belt’s approach at the plate makes me want to puke. This team doesn’t need more laser eye balls tracking pitches that land a millimeter outside the strike zone. We need men swinging the lumber. My guess is that Kapler gets sick of Belt’s sad walks back to the dugout about half way through April…..

1. Flavor said, on February 22, 2020 at 7:49 am

this article written by Ben Gordon has been making the rounds on twitter. If you haven’t read it yet give it a read.

2. willedav said, on February 22, 2020 at 8:30 am

Maybe Kapler is just playing the used car salesman angle.

OK nba trivia: who holds the season record for highest FT pct.? (minimum 65 taken)
    hint, it did happen this century

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2020 at 8:35 am

Immediate thought was Calvin Murphy and his rad pulled up white socks but of course he didn’t play this century

• willedav said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:02 am

He was really good FT shooter. In the book they give 4 multiple guess options. One of them was Jeff Hornacek which is who I thought was right answer, but no.

3. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:01 am

The Bore Core is what it is, and Kapler has to try whatever he can with them; but I think the difference this year will be Kapler will have a shorter leash and be willing to platoon them more. He doesn’t have any big emotional connection to them.

• willedav said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:07 am

mm who plays 3b in Longo’s absence or for that matter 1b for Belt? And once Pablo is healthy it’s probably his role, no?
      imo it’s less about the contracts or any “emotional connection” than fact that there aren’t better replacements, except for soon to come Bart. Giants gave Z Green 18 ABs all last year though he is on 40 man roster. IF is already crowded so he doesn’t seem to have much of a shot.

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:52 am

The bench will get sorted out in Spring Training. Last season the Giants had the best bench they’ve had in years. Z is committed to having a decent bench.

4. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:05 am

I think the new ballpark dimensions are going to probably stun us (and the pitchers.) 9 feet shorter in straightaway center is a really big change.

• alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:09 am

The Stick was 410ft straight away center. Think even moving in 9 ft Oracle is still longer by a few feet.

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:47 am

Supposedly centerfield has better carry in Oracle.

5. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:05 am

I remember some guy who plays for either the Hawks? are Raptors? named Jose Calderon a Spaniard who was pretty accurate..

• willedav said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:10 am

oooh Kat, nice going. Jose Calderon it is! 2008-9 for Raptors he shot unbelievable 98%—making 151 out of 154 from the line.

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:19 am

that’s incredible Kat, I don’t even remember this guy

• alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:23 am

Wow alrighty then, sometimes the brain cells do kick in!! Thanks!

• Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:52 am

Great job, Kat! Didn’t know Calderon was money at the FT line. I remember him later with the Knicks, he was pretty much washed up by then.

6. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:08 am

I would think the younger outfielders will get a huge opportunity to make their case. Guys like Pence and Hamilton are just “break glass in case of emergency” guys. Cheap emergency replacements.

• alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:19 am

I sure hope so Zumie.
      Problem is 3 spots are locked with Pence meh,Dick meh, and Yaz 👌só theirs only I’ll say 2 spots left and I want my boy Davis for one and take your choice between Duggar,Slater,are Shaw? I would not be thrilled if Hambone makes the team(sorry BF he’s done)

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:48 am

I haven’t read anywhere where Pence is projected as a regular.

7. unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:10 am

Rick Barry would have been my guess, but alas . . .

Steph?

8. sandog said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:13 am

Michael Williams? I might have the name slightly wrong, but I think he played for the T-Wolves and at least at one time I believe had the consecutive makes record.

• sandog said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:14 am

My bad. Skipped thru the thread quickly and didn’t see the answer.

9. Bozo said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:22 am

I usually go with a position guy, but this year my eye is on Melvin Adon hitting triple digits on the gun.

10. Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 10:08 am

Flav, Calvin Murphy is #2 all-time single-season FT %, made 206 of 215 for .958 in 1980-81, so you were close.

11. wilcojoe said, on February 22, 2020 at 10:29 am

Flav, to answer your question from yesterday, my son really hasn’t been following the off season chatter, as he’s been too busy posting videos on Tik Tok.

12. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 10:33 am

Zumie No Pence won’t be a regular but he still takes up a OF spot, can’t see him at all as one of the zillion 1B they can use.
    Interesting fact even the Best Ballplayer Alltime Willie Mays, tragically was put at 1B for some games with the Mets!That’s just só wrong, but by then he was embarrassing himself in CF, which was sad too, being one of the best forever..

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 10:49 am

We might see Posey getting some games at 1b this season, which didn’t happen much last season, if at all, for some reason.

13. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 11:03 am

Nice article from KNBR, about how Steven Vogt helped Tyler Heinemann (sp) get a look with the Giants. Lifetime minor leaguer, he met Vogt In Milwaukee and picked his brain, which Vogt was happy to oblige. The kid (28) last played for the New Orleans Crab Cakes ( man I love minor league baseball names!) before Pittsburgh threw him a bone late last year and had 15AB’s 3 hits.1st big league hit off of DeGrom a late swing flair to left and had a homer off of Wheeler, not a bad combo to connect off of! Didn’t know he’s a switch hitter, that can work out in his favor.He’s also a magician, that will keep The clubhouse loose! I’m pulling for him!

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2020 at 11:24 am

Kat, the name of the minor league team in Nola is the Baby Cakes (named after the king cake baby I guess). It was the Zephyrs for years and years, which I still have the hat.

• alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 11:44 am

My bad! Even a better nickname Bozo🦀🎂
        Did you use to live in Nola?

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2020 at 12:21 pm

Never lived there but it always felt like home to me, even more than SF where I lived at for 30 some odd years. My wife and I do have a lot friends there and try and spend as much time as possible in NOLA. We do keep an eye on the housing market there (even have an agent on the North Shore), so maybe someday.

14. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 12:35 pm

The Giants game is moved back a few hours because of rain. Don’t know how that affects the MLB Network broadcast of it.

15. pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2020 at 12:58 pm

https://sfgiants.mlblogs.com/2020-sfgspring-photo-day-57b0556ffb84 Wish Brandon Belt would’ve scribbled, “I love . . . hitting to the opposite field.”

16. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Giants made 3 errors in the first inning. Solano, Dubon, and Davis. Rough start. LOL.

17. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Slater took 3 called strikes.

18. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Adon got roughed up a bit.

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Yes he did. Damn.

19. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Dubon HR.

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:02 pm

and the only hit.

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Slater with a triple makes a liar outta me.

20. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Damm what channel is the Giants game on?
    MLB network has the CHEATERS GAME ON!!

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 3:51 pm

It’s not on until 6. I was just following the game online.

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 3:52 pm

I guess I should have used “spoiler alert.”
        They’re behind 6-1.

21. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm

The Bore Core is a combined 0-6.

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:34 pm

God bless you for watching this game, Zum

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Bart HR! A late inning reward. 🙂

22. Flavor said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:39 pm

23. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Howard HR!

• djloo27 said, on February 22, 2020 at 4:57 pm

24. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:16 pm

McNutt pitched a scoreless inning. McNutt, now that’s a name!

• Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Baggs was hoping to see a Buster-McNutt battery.

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:26 pm

lulz!

• djloo27 said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Wonder if he’s related to old harness driver Ken McNutt…

25. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Cyr gave up 2 runs.

26. Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:30 pm

Truly a bomb:

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:46 pm

I kind of forgot how big he is. Big dude.

27. djloo27 said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Four San Francisco Giants homered in their first big league AB.
    Everyone here has heard of them.

One is super easy.
    One was a well known pitcher.
    One was a well known whipping boy.
    One was pretty recent and a flop.

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Bobby Bonds and Craw?
      Bowker?

• djloo27 said, on February 22, 2020 at 5:59 pm

All great guesses, but 0 for 3…

28. Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:03 pm

Will Clark?

• djloo27 said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:04 pm

That’s the easy one…

• Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:05 pm

John Montefusco?

• djloo27 said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:06 pm

Yup!

• zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Can’t believe I forgot Clark. That’s an inexcusable mistake.

• Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:10 pm

The Count actually walked in his first AB, he hit a HR in his next AB,

29. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:05 pm

Oh I can see the Facebook Wives drooling if they can get a McNutt job on the roster..

30. unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:23 pm

Johnnie LeMaster? Didn’t he have an inside the parker?

31. unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Gary Brown for the recent flop?

32. zumiee said, on February 22, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Kings beat the Clippers today. Well that’s pretty groovy.

33. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Oh wait Aubrey Huff’s 1st HR was an inside the parker and he qualified as a whipping boy, just not sure if it was his 1st AB.

34. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Brett Pill 💊 for the Flop?

35. djloo27 said, on February 22, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Double Extra credit for Unca Chuck on Lemaster ITP.
    Kat correct on the Pill.
    And Mac is absolutely right that the Count walked in his first AB, yet Baseball Almanac lists him.
    That is inexcusable!

36. alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Damm right Loo!
    That is downright sacrilege that baseball historians can f..k up that stat.Im loving me some Count Montefusco accomplishment,but that’s a boner mistake..

37. Macdog said, on February 22, 2020 at 9:13 pm

Tough night at the top in college hoops: No. 1 Baylor (vs. No. 3 Kansas), No. 2 Zags and No. 4 San Diego St. all lose.

38. unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2020 at 7:28 am

That would be first official AB. Splitting heirs I know . . .