How Do You Practice Social Distancing?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 11, 2020

I see a new phrase has cropped up: *social distancing*. I already had a sound plan in place to practice this with Oracle Park this year. Nothing to do with the virus, though.

But seriously, the only thing I’ve consciously started doing is eating in more often. I’m already a hall of fame hand washer so that’s in place. But the great unknown is everyone in the kitchen showing up for work because they have to, shielded behind a kitchen door, who knows what’s going on back there. I picked up a Round Table Pizza last week and the kid in the kitchen was pale and sweating his ass off. I began to worry until I remembered that’s what we all looked like back in 1989 when I worked at Round Table. Phew! Carona Averted!

Unfortunately this is going to completely screw up the baseball season. Ya’ll can say “But Big Flavor, you’re such an asshole! People are dying!” And I get that. But the other side of this is that everyone is washing the bejeesus out of their hands and wiping down every door handle in sight. If anything this is going to be the healthiest spring we’ve seen in the USA in years, maybe ever.

But baseball? March Madness? Ruined. It’s not like I don’t have sympathy for those who have died from this or those who will die. But I think I’m more affected by how the public is recoiling from itself. And it sucks.

1. chipower9 said, on March 11, 2020 at 7:15 am

There is a ton of info out there on the situation, from the main stream media, to social media (which has even looser criteria for what is posted/not posted), etc.

We are kicking-off a two day exercise at work tomorrow where the whole facility will telework for two days, just to see where we stand if the entire facility must be shut-down.

The continued message we hear is don’t hang your hat on everything that is out there…the best bet is to follow what is being put out by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

My friend and I are playing opening day by ear. If fans are allowed as usual, we’ll roll-down early that morning and get tickets on the street (probably cheaper than what you can score on StubHub currently), and then we’ll check-out Oteil and Friends (bassist for Dead and Company) that night in at the Warfield, flop in The City that night, and roll home in the morning.

We all have our thoughts on this shit, but I will be very surprised if it does not continue to have an impact on our daily lives and the economy. Time will tell. Oh shit…gotta run…time to go wash my hands (on that note, singing the chorus to Woody Guthrie’s “This Land is Your Land” makes for a good 20 seconds scrub).

• sfsarge said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:40 am

I work in a hospital. I’m not going to say that there isn’t reason to be concerned, but a lot of the hype is overblown. If you’re already sick and have other health issues that weaken your immune system, then yes you should definitely stay away from people for a while. But if you’re in otherwise good health, wash your hands a lot and don’t touch your face. The vast majority of people who have it don’t know it, and the ones who do know it basically have the flu. A very small percentage of the people who have it get pneumonia and even a smaller percentage of those are the ones who are dying. As testing becomes more widespread, expect to see the numbers of confirmed cases skyrocket.

• chipower9 said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:40 am

Agree with your synopsis, Del. Again, I think the most comprehensive and accurate guidelines to follow are those put out by the CDC.

You going to opening day?

• djloo27 said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:42 am

I’ve been told that the medical community in NY is generally unconcerned…

• unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:45 am

The issue here is that those that have it and don’t know it are spreading it. While early on this was understandable, now it is imperative that people take the necessary precautions on protecting themselves and their loved ones.

But I have little faith in the common sense of the American people.

• sfsarge said, on March 11, 2020 at 10:08 am

Hey Chuck yes I am going to opening day.

Unca, I couldn’t agree with you more about relying on general common sense. We’re talking about a country with millions of people who say they won’t drink corona beer ffs.

• chipower9 said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:36 am

Del – is your number the same (ends in 3820)? Let’s meet for a beer on opening day.

• sfsarge said, on March 11, 2020 at 12:06 pm

Hey Chuck last four of my phone number is 3830. But I’m sure you have the rest right. Let me know brother.

• chipower9 said, on March 11, 2020 at 1:46 pm

DOH! it’s 3830 in my phone, too. Well, if there IS an opening day that includes fans, we’ll make it happen. Would be great to see you again, my friend.

2. willedav said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:05 am

Opening Day as Chi mentioned is about 2 weeks away. Warriors and Sharks about to be impacted for their home games. LA schools SC and UCLA have said no fans at events until mid April. NCAA games set to be hosted locally and that will start very soon. Big West conference tourney in Anaheim will be without fans. Doesn’t look good as pressure will mount.

Cal gov Newsom said, in response to major sports holding back media, “I find it curious… (that major sports) put out guidelines to protect their athletes but not their fans. I think they owe you and their fan base an answer as to why it’s more important to keep reporters away from their players in the locker room than keeping fans in highly contagious parts of the country together.”

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:19 am

well, reporters are often closer than 3 feet when interviewing these athletes in the locker room. Flip side is that fans are within 3 feet of each other at the games. So, agreed, it’s curious they seem more interested in enacting something simple like banning reporters, something they probably have always secretly wanted to do anyway.

3. willedav said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:19 am

First round of West bracket men’s b-ball to be played in Sacramento and Spokane.
    On women’s side top teams such as Oregon and Stanford usually host opening round games.
    Plus this weekend some HS state finals to be played in Sac at Kings arena. There were teams that dropped out of earlier games as their school cancelled athletic events before games could be played.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:32 am

A first ballot Hand Washing Hall of Farmer or voted in by the Veterans Committee?

5. willedav said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:35 am

Other news: Z on Bart said, “Roughly for a position player, you’d like to see at least 300, 400, 500 at bats at the upper levels before you can feel comfortable with a guy hitting the ground running at the big league level.”
    also said Bart could play some 1b in minors. Bart sitting on 79 ABs at AA, 300 overall.

6. Stan Shell said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:41 am

I live on the coast at the mid-point of Oregon. Only a couple of cases in the state yet. However, only an idiot would not recognize that Washington state is the US version of Wuhan. Drove to Corvallis yesterday and noticed about half the cars on the road going, coming and in town than normal. I believe that this will trigger a snap recession like we haven’t seen before. Multiply those skipping games at the park by about every discretion driven purchase made in states where the virus has been found and you can see the problem. Tourism will be way down in SF along with all supporting activities- -restaurants, airlines, car rental, hotels, etc. Wait till that mortgage comes due.

Due to age and other conditions, if I get it TF should be setting up a welcoming party for me. Maybe he can tell me how many years it will take for the Giants to come back to respectability.

OSF

7. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:35 am

The main issue with this of course is people who are infected and are healthy enough to combat it with little or no repercussions become little Typhoid Marys passing it aong to those with compromised/old immune systems. So, the idiots who don’t heed even the most basic precautions spread this around like the clap.

8. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:40 am

I take Bart every day, and while ridership is supposedly down 25%, I still get on crowded cars every day. Luckily I can work from home, and I will more now, but while I always washed my hands in the day to day life, I’m tripling my efforts now. As far as not touching my face, that’s simply impossible. That’s like saying track how many times you blink in an hour.

• chipower9 said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:46 am

Agree. Not touching your face is tough, but I am cognizant, and when I feel the need for a quick itch on some part of my face, I use my shirt instead of my bare hand. Just need to do the sensible shit, for now, and see how this thing plays out.

• Macdog said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:52 am

It’s near-impossible avoiding this while watching the Giants:

• Winder said, on March 11, 2020 at 10:36 am

Lol. Ain’t it the truth. I live in Oregon also and went to the Albany Walmart this morning and it was as empty as I have ever seen it.

9. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:18 am

corona

10. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:25 am

Social distancing was perfected by Mickey Rourke in Barfly. Greatest movie ever. Quote #10 is apropos.

If you don’t know who Charle Bukowski is, check his stuff out.

“So, you hired a dick to find an asshole?” Beautiful.

• Winder said, on March 11, 2020 at 12:56 pm

Thanks I needed that

• djloo27 said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Humanity, you never had it from the beginning…

11. zumiee said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:25 am

Over the weekend Trump re-tweeted a meme of himself as Nero playing the violin while Rome is burning. Trump has said and done a lot of stupid things as president, and that ranks high on the list.
    So there’s absolutely zero leadership from the top in this situation, as in all situations since Jan. 20, 2017.
    Trump is struggling to find a way to B.S. his way through this, and the situation doesn’t care about his B.S.

12. alleykat69 said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:35 am

Warriors to play without fans as SF bans a crowd of 1K are more!
    Not like they win anyway, but it sure will take a hit on revenue and for the workers! This is really getting out of control now..

• chipower9 said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:39 am

You think it is out of control now? I predict it gets worse, than better, over the next few weeks (if not next few months).

• Macdog said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:39 am

Tomorrow will be just like the old days for the Nets when they played at the Meadowlands.

13. Macdog said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:38 am

14. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:41 am

Yep, that just crossed my phone.

15. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 11:52 am

EVERYBODY knows what it means!!! The astounding stupidity in this tweet is beyond human comprehension. I’m sorry, but the country is being run by a man with no functioning brain cells. If he wins again, I guess we must reconcile the fact that Donald Jr is next, then Erik, then Barron.

djt

Fuck my kids’ lives.

I’m all for 1789. Wouldn’t it be hysterical if that fucking toad Ted Cruz passes the virus to Trump. Karmic justice!

16. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 1:13 pm

All this working from home and I can’t watch any games? Where are they?

17. Winder said, on March 11, 2020 at 1:29 pm

I like the lineup the Giants have at the moment. With a couple of tweaks this could be interesting.

18. chipower9 said, on March 11, 2020 at 3:02 pm

Get ready for March Sadness…multiple sources are reporting that no fans will be able to attend both the men’s and women’s tournaments.

19. Macdog said, on March 11, 2020 at 4:26 pm

This was a curious line from Jenkins’ column today. I guess Belt won’t have much to worry about after all.

“In an effort to be ‘selectively aggressive,’ as manager Gabe Kapler described it, hitters are being told not to worry about letting a two-strike pitch go by — even if it means striking out — if it’s a ‘borderline’ pitch that he doesn’t think he can hit hard.”

20. alleykat69 said, on March 11, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Yeah Chi, pretty bizarre sporting events with no fans!
    Concerts cancelled, any large venue with crowds forget about it.Maybe your dog shows as well taking a poop 💩.
    Now it will be with more people staying/ working at home, Netflix,Hulu,Disney HBO will be the norm and for now for the twisted minds it will be a run on watching Contagion 😷, Outbreak, The Flu,Omega Man a classic! and all the Zombie movies including invasion of corona virus body snatchers!

21. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 5:07 pm

Omega Man was awesome. I had to show my son, in succession, Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, and Soylent Green. The trifecta of Charleton Heston disaster flicks.

“Soylent Green is people!!!”

“Get yer stinkin’ paws off me you damned dirty ape!”

“I’m back!!! I’m home! They finally did it! You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you all to hell!!!!!”

This ending was fucking epic when I was a kid. The people audibly gasped when he sees the statue.

• Macdog said, on March 11, 2020 at 6:59 pm

That’s an awesome triple feature!

22. willedav said, on March 11, 2020 at 7:58 pm

wow Cal the 10 seed rolls Stanford by 13 to knock them out in first round. so much for being on the bubble

23. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:15 pm

NBA suspends the season as Rudy Gobert tests positive for Coronavirus.

Holy shit.

• djloo27 said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:56 pm

If they wouldn’t have given it a name, no one would have it.
      It would just be people getting sick and dying like always.
      They couldn’t leave well enough alone…

• zumiee said, on March 11, 2020 at 9:08 pm

It’s called science.

24. alleykat69 said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson also tested positive for corona virus down in Australia…

• djloo27 said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:39 pm

• alleykat69 said, on March 11, 2020 at 8:47 pm

Lulz.. There’s no crying in corona virus…