The Beginning of A Long, Rough Road

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 14, 2020

Almost every person I know is going through some type of sports withdrawal right now. We just take it for granted because sports is always there. Until now. Hilariously, the only sport left is horse racing. I firmly believe that on whatever day the world ends, somewhere, there’s still gonna be a wall of horses furiously charging towards the 1/4 pole. Fire up your tvg account guys. We’ll turn this blog into a gambling blog the way me, Loo and Denny did to The Splash back in 2008.

At least when a season ends you know when it’s going to start again. When an all star break begins you know how many days it will last. This is just…..ongoing with no end in sight.

This is just the beginning. Trump is heralding his unsustainable bump to the stock market with his phony words but that won’t last. The World’s economy is imploding. People we know will lose their businesses and become homeless. Soon we will have much bigger things to worry about than no sports and empty toilet paper aisles.

1. Flavor said, on March 14, 2020 at 7:52 am

I’m playing the late Pick 4 at Gulfstream today, BTW

2. willedav said, on March 14, 2020 at 8:29 am

Read where GGF and Santa Anita will race but no fans. Um, what is that going to do to the take? Can tracks survive without attendance, food and beverage $$ and betting at the window?

Did see Warriors have fund set up to cover Chase Ctr. employees out of work, Very cool, tax free since it comes from foundation plus they are eligible for unemployment too. Hope other orgs look at this stuff.
    Minor league baseball players of course aren’t getting paid either.

• djloo27 said, on March 14, 2020 at 10:13 am

They’ll do better. Nobody goes there anyway…

3. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2020 at 8:33 am

Yeah, it’s such a special feeling not knowing who among us is infected. All this social distancing sounds great, but all of us need to go to the store, get supplies, go to work on Bay Area Rapid Transmission (as of last week anyway), and busses and trains and such, so we are all depending on the cleanliness of strangers. to slow the spread while the government lies, denies, deflects and finally closes the barn doors 2 weeks after the horses have left the barn.

I’m worried about my daughter, who is now living with us, who has a compromised immune system. Fun fun. Meanwhile, the president is denying responsibility for anything, shaking hands like a fool, and denying shit he said two days ago fter being exposed to three people who have tested positive for it.

Maybe he and Pence get it and Pelosi becomes president and invokes the 25th Amendment. I know, Life is but a dream.

• willedav said, on March 14, 2020 at 8:45 am

choir getting medical advice from Rush Limbaugh seems like ultimate in Darwinism. though I don’t wish them any harm. Guy who started the biz where I work said it was never about driving away competition—you need them around for comparison vs. what you are better at.

4. Winder said, on March 14, 2020 at 8:52 am

I know it’s absurd but just like the census is counting everyone. There should be a system where at least one or two people a household gets tested. Door to door, it would put a lot of people to work. Anyway, I was really sick for most or January this year and all the symptoms I had are what they are saying is the virus. I had a whole lot of stuff I had to do during that time and I kind of wonder if I wasn’t one of those passing it on. I was already on the mend when I started to hear about China so I just figured I had the flu. Even though I get the senior double shot.

5. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2020 at 9:07 am

People’s actions, or in-actions, will play a huge part on how this thing plays out, and if we are able to tamp this thing down. I am hopeful that the actions being taken (sporting events, Broadway, plays, concerts, and schools etc. shutting down) will help minimize the spread, and duration. Could be weeks, could be months.

I truly feel for the folks in any service industry where they depend on the public for their livelihood. I am fortunate in that if they shut-down our entire facility (300+ people) we can work from home and keep the wheels turning.

Stay safe out there, Flappers. I look forward to that day of normalcy returning, hopefully sooner than later.

6. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2020 at 9:44 am

I think we are about a month too late. We’ll see.

7. djloo27 said, on March 14, 2020 at 10:17 am

8. Stan Shell said, on March 14, 2020 at 11:22 am

Up here in Oregon we are waiting for the multiple shoes to drop. The “Wuhan of the West” just north of us and all you people in California struggling to figure out how to dodge it just to the south. Just for grins, I called the local CDC who some person in Florida told my daughter for sure has tests. They told me no kits and no plans to EVER do any testing. Our government in action.
    Wait till testing becomes widespread- -I predict it will be all around us. The time for testing to lock down areas is long past. To say that the Trump administration has bungled the onset of this thing is a gross understatement. When it jumped to South Korea that should have been an all hands on deck moment. Instead of that, weeks later we get one of his TV events in which he said it will magically disappear. For his supporters on this site, I hope that you can finally see what we liberals have been worrying about- -this guy is dangerously incompetent. Now that the fat in in the fire some of us won’t be around for the next season of Giants baseball. Hope not. But, learning today that the huge Medicaid organization is still prohibited from offering assistance to its clients suspected of being infected. Too late for Trump and his right wing followers from realizing that the low income population poses a risk as much as the neighbor on Bart.
    Take care and be healthy Flappers.

OSF

• Winder said, on March 14, 2020 at 11:46 am

Totally agree. As an resident in Oregon myself i know of no one who’s been tested. i do know that most of the people go to the nearest Costco, Winco, and Walmart, and being right on HWY 5 makes me believe the virus has been in there already. there is so much we don’t know about the virus such as if you have had it and made it through could you get it again. stuff like that or how long you could be a carrier, kind of important stuff.

• djloo27 said, on March 14, 2020 at 11:55 am

How did you feel about the Obama administration’s handling of swine flu?

• Winder said, on March 14, 2020 at 12:33 pm

to be honest I hardly remember the actions he took.

9. mrsprtdude said, on March 14, 2020 at 11:38 am

Lines to get in to local supermarkets stretching for 100s of yards. Crazyness.

• djloo27 said, on March 14, 2020 at 11:53 am

Bunch of selfish panicking pussies…

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2020 at 12:35 pm

I’m actually kind of impressed with your defense of Trump, with its last-defenders-of-the-Alamo type of dedication.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Replying to Loo.

10. zumiee said, on March 14, 2020 at 1:07 pm

A big part of Trump’s failing, of course, is that he can’t stop lying. He just can’t stop. His convoluted lie about Google started with a little kernel of truth in it, but he couldn’t resist fabricating a giant lie out of it. Google has already refuted the lie almost immediately. This is what adds to the panic. A crazy person being president.

• djloo27 said, on March 14, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Zumiee:
      I thought Trump came up “ant small” (as Flavor would say) in his address to the nation the other night.
      I was actually embarrassed that this is our President. Yes, he’s obviously a jerk, but it was him or Hilary
      so that was mostly what it came down to for me. I’m sure he’s done a few good things that his many detractors refuse to acknowledge. Politics ain’t my thing…

• unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Well. We’re waaaaaaaiting. Taking out Soleimani is about it.

• djloo27 said, on March 14, 2020 at 3:52 pm

I always felt it was kind of hard to say how much blame or credit a Prez should get for things.
        Ah, who really gives a fuck anyway…

• Stan Shell said, on March 15, 2020 at 8:11 am

To Loo, I give a fuck! I’m looking at 1 in 6 chance of dying. I’m old, and have a host of pre-existing conditions. So, yeah I give a big fuck.

OSF

11. Macdog said, on March 14, 2020 at 1:14 pm

Hey Wille, the MAAC just got a lot more interesting: Rick Pitino is the new coach at Iona.

• willedav said, on March 14, 2020 at 5:14 pm

whoa! Them and Monmouth used to get into it didn’t they? Have to find story on hew hire. Iona wasn’t near as good this season either, right?

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2020 at 2:59 pm

I’m not too bummed about the sports shutdown but I’ve never really followed March madness and other college sports. Local companies and schools shutting down are a major inconvenience that hopefully resolves in ~4 week but I’m looking at it as an opportunity to improve my boy’s swing so we dug up all the balls we could find today and bought some more for when the storm breaks. We went to the store as part of regular grocery shopping and the number of empty shelves was sort of jarring. All the pasta noodles and TP – gone. Worse to me is that they’re out of coffee filters. WTF? Plenty of canned goods and things like rice, beans and potatoes though which makes me wonder how people make these choices-maybe not the most well though out.

Trump’s comments about Obama’s response to the swine flu are just more lies and disinformation but whataboutism is a helluva a drug, I guess. Personally I prefer when the government isn’t blatantly lying to me whether it be about preparedness in cases like these, testing availability or a national website being worked on by Google when they’re not but whatever.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2020 at 3:26 pm

here’s what I don’t get: now that it’s been proven that the google website available to all AMericans has turned out to be a total lie what will all these people think when they discover that? Do they even care? Or do they just blame Obama or *her emails*?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2020 at 3:43 pm

If my MAGA uncles and cousins are any indication, it won’t even manifest in the media consumed by a lot of Trump’s hardcore base. I know you’re a worldly man so this isn’t directed at you but it’s really hard for people to appreciate how pervasive the Fox & alt media saturation is in “flyover country”. There’s really no alternative thought presented. I think it’s sort of a combination of that along with so many lies that it’s become normalized and doesn’t register. Then there’s the folks simply not even caring.

• Winder said, on March 14, 2020 at 4:01 pm

I have some long-time old friends in Arkansas who i call on the phone every two or three weeks. We don’t talk politics very often because facts don’t mean much to them. They believe what trump says to be true, they honestly blame Obama and the democrats for everything bad that happens and has happened. They think that the Clinton’s both of em are bigger crooks than Trump could ever be. They have a very large family and all of em think like that. From what i get is just about all Arkansas thinks that way. People believe what they want to believe.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2020 at 5:30 pm

For the hardcore Trump supporters, it functions as a cult. They are all-in for the cult. Yet Trump couldn’t care less about the well-being of his followers.

13. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Giants players staying in Zona and beginning workouts again, soon…

• willedav said, on March 14, 2020 at 5:25 pm

good move imo. Boras suggested this and there was story on MLBTR. Think it makes good sense.

Dirt, they aren’t gonna mess with LL are they? I’ve seen kids practicing at park I drive by near Curtner and Leigh.
      There’s another one on Hamilton near Llewelyn right? Haven’t seen anyone playing there yet.

Winder thx for that Maloney no hitter vid. Really liked Reds team of that era early to mid ’60s…til they dumped off my hero Frank Robinson to Orioles. classic uni too.

• Winder said, on March 14, 2020 at 6:31 pm

Next to Willie Mays I think Frank Robinson was the best ballplayer of his time. Better than Clemente(sp) and Aaron. As a kid i loved going to Reds games. I thought they were very stupid to give up Robinson. I think that move was far worse than some of the brain dead moves the Giants made over the years.

14. alleykat69 said, on March 14, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Why bother? They should all go home to they’re families…

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2020 at 5:44 pm

wille, my son’s in the LL that plays on Hamilton near Winchester. The season just started last weekend but its closed down as of yesterday. I’m not sure what guidance has been given to the coach but practices are off too. There used to be a hitting cage around the back of Fry’s, which is a 5 minute walk for us so we’d go there a lot but it unexpectedly closed. Now I bring him to the fields at JD Morgan Park to practice hitting and will probably be spending a lot of time there the next few weeks.

• alleykat69 said, on March 14, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Dirt…It will probably just get down to you& your son as your hitting ground balls & flyballs without a captive audience are minimal amount of friends spread 6-10 apart..

• willedav said, on March 14, 2020 at 6:24 pm

oh have fun and hope weather gets a little better while kids are off school. 1 on 1 individual attention always a plus. Team batting practice LL can get boring.
      Sucks things are postponed but let me know if LL gets rolling again. I’m just down Hamilton on other side of Bascom behind WF. Fun to see a game.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2020 at 6:54 pm

We have 4 beautiful little league fields just down the hill from where we live. I’m appalled at the level of play. My Palo Club team from 1980 would have kicked the shit out of any of the teams I’ve seen. I’m just keepin’ it real. 🙂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2020 at 7:31 pm

You got that right, Flavor. Due to his birthday versus “league age” my kid always ends up playing against boys up to 3 years older. That’s a pretty big different in physical size and coordination so we play catch and I pitch to him regularly to ensure he’s comfortable out there. Maybe other Dads don’t do much (I don’t know) but more than half these kids can’t even glove a grounder, make relatively accurate throws or get the bat on a machine pitched ball let alone get a hit.

16. zumiee said, on March 14, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Strickland was released by the Nats today.
    He got a World Series ring with the Nats, and Harper didn’t.
    That’s a pretty unexpected ending to that whole story.