Groundhog Days

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 18, 2020

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 8.05.50 AM

NBCSN is partnering with TVG to broadcast the races all weekend. With everything else crumbled to the ground horse racing forages on. LOL. It’s a fantastic way to break up the monotony if that’s what’s draggin’ you down. I’d love to play poker online but sadly that still isn’t legal here. I don’t really trust the online game, anyway.

This morning’s Safeway trip was another success.

And now it’s time to sink into my couch, handicap the card at The Fairgrounds and have a day that probably will feel a lot like yesterday. And tomorrow.

1. chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:07 am

Good morning Flappers. Hope you are all well during these unprecedented times. Good luck at the grocery stores, and stay healthy.

Latest Niner news is that the team placed second-round tenders on Kendrick Bourne and Matt Breida. Their pay at that threshold comes in at 3.2 mil per year.

Chuck and others – what were your thoughts on the Buckner trade (Buckner to Colts) for a first round pick?

• Winder said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:38 am

I wish we could have figured a way to keep him. His play was inspirational and his attitude conveyed what it was to be a 49er. He will be missed. Not happy with this deal.

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:52 am

I too do not like losing him. He was voted team MVP this year by the players (cannot recall the name of the award), but I can also see the logic in this move, as the Niners currently have no picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Trading either the 13th the received from Indy, or their currently held 31st pick for additional picks, could help them address roster needs.

2. Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:35 am

help me remember, did twinfan say he was at this game?

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:52 am

I believe that to be true, Flav.

• djloo27 said, on March 18, 2020 at 9:26 am

With his mother, I think…

3. Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:37 am

I’m 100% all in on the Buckner trade. We return 10/11 defensive starters. And this trade will allow them to get one of the 3 stud receivers out there. I am hoping it’s Jeudy.

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 9:00 am

This could certainly be a tact, Flav, as I saw today that there is mutual interest between Sanders and the Cowboys. I like Jeudy, but also really like CeeDee Lamb (who I saw play a lot more, as he played for Oklahoma, who I follow closely).

4. Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:53 am

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 9:01 am

I remember him, well. RIP.

5. willedav said, on March 18, 2020 at 9:00 am

Flav I think you are right on TF and Maz game.
    Niners getting more early draft picks a good thing. Btw Buckner and Armstead I think they made right call plus they got to keep Ward too. Once you do this well everyone wants to get paid and only so much $$.

Watching game last night was fun. giants pounded AZ crummy SP and wound up with 7 XBHs. smrdz didn’t have it but they bailed him out.
    so bottom 9th inning it’s 11-5 and bochy brings in DRod to mop up. He gives up booming double then a K and walks J Dyson. At this point Kruk says this is last thing he wanted to do. Next guy grounds one up middle that craw can’t come up with behind 2b bag and bobbles it everybody safe sacks loaded. At that point Smith has to come in which must have frosted Bochy and he finishes them off with 2 quick Ks.
    That was just emblematic of DRod season—not much control, gave up long ball and wasn’t effective, At that point his ERA was 4.96 in June and it stayed there. 2020 will be chance to rebound or I imagine get waived.

6. alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2020 at 9:21 am

Now with a minor league pitcher for the Yanks testing positive for Coronavirus I just don’t see a baseball season going forward this year.How is baseball setting an example of social distancing when they come back to practice less then 6 ft apart?with a virus clearly not contained.

7. James said, on March 18, 2020 at 10:56 am

If the season doesn’t start in June, then it seems it won’t happen at all. The uncertainty of what’s in store for the fall could mean no large scale sporting events for the rest of the year.

8. Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 11:08 am

9. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2020 at 11:21 am

Chi, if they kept Buckner, they would likely lose Kittle as he will command a big deal and we need to free up cap space. I think it was a great value move by John Lynch. AA would not get anything close to the pick that DeFo did. The thing about Buckner is he was strictly an inside guy. AA plays both inside and outside on the line, so he’s a little more versatile. I think we have enough on the team and we can find a decent FA if needed.

Sure, I would have loved to have kept him, but this is a forward-thinking move that will hopefully pay dividends.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Goodwin and McKinnon traded for picks. Even if they yield little. And if someone signs Bourne or Breida, we get a 2nd round pick in return.

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Charlie – agree with you on all points, brother. Would have loved to kept Buckner, but as you described, it just wasn’t possible in relation to the other things that need to happen (cap space to sign Kittle, and have happened (mainly the extension for Ward). All good. Another good move by Lynch and crew, IMO.

10. alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2020 at 11:55 am

Yeah I see some logic in the trade for that 1st rd pick, it’s just a bummer with cap situations you can’t keep all your best player’s anymore.Buckner is a downright beast in his prime,second only to Aaron Donald as a disruptive force and a Bryant Young fixture for years,and was the team captain and fantastic personality in the clubhouse who will be missed.
    But yeah also the #1 pick will be on a set lower salary on his first contract and Buckner just got 23 mil? second to Donald so the 49ers saved a shitload of cap space as well.I think for sure now they trade that second #1 pick for more picks which is needed as well.That first #1 should be used on WR are CB who ever is best left on the board.Think Juedy will already be gone,maybe Ruggs? but alittle small for me, but nothing wrong with Cee Dee Lamb who has the size and explosiveness and would fit in well under Shanny’s schemes..

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 1:10 pm

I’m hoping we package both our picks to get Jeudy because I agree he’ll likely be gone at 13

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 3:16 pm

I really hope they do not package both picks for an earlier pick. They can get quality at 13 with the Colts pick, and trade the 31st for additional later round picks…picks needed to fill-out the roster.

11. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Lamb may be the most polished guy of the three.

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2020 at 1:19 pm

I have watched Lamb for several years given I am a huge Oklahoma football fan. The guy is a beast. I would be very happy to have him .Agree with Kat – WR or CB…

12. Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 1:08 pm

San Dawg was scheduled to be leaving for Reno tomorrow, me a day later. That trip seems like a long time ago. Diggity, what are you doing with your newly found free time?

13. wilcojoe said, on March 18, 2020 at 1:31 pm

I watched at least an hour of the Pine Tar game which MLB Network aired last night. I would love to watch random Giants games from the 80’s much more than anything from the 3 in 5 years. Hell even the commercials back then were pretty good.

The other day I was watching old Alaska Airlines commercials on YouTube. The guy trying to find 2 quarters (do you have 2 quarters for five bucks?) to use the bathroom is a classic. Yep, this is what my world has come to.

• alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2020 at 2:18 pm

Cracked up every time I watched that commercial WJ. The desperation on his face and trying to not piss down his legs was priceless!That and nobody was biting on his offer to give him a couple quarters for 5 bucks 😂🥺

14. Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 2:48 pm

I can’t believe how slow this week is going……

15. willedav said, on March 18, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Giants replay games unfortunately have all commercials from today. Used to like the 2 little girls giving Wilson a hard time. either asking about lincecum or telling him “..and your hair it’s dumb.”

Just watched the Tom Landry am ex one from early ’80s…”…surrounded by Redskins. Howdy,”

16. willedav said, on March 18, 2020 at 4:28 pm

#23 there pitching for Yanks in the Maz HR clip is none other than Ralph Terry who was pitching to McCovey at end of WS game 7 1962. In the clip above announcer clearly says “Ditmar” a different guy Art Ditmar.

• Winder said, on March 18, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Terry was lights out against us in the 62 series. He pitched in 3 games. He ended up being 2wins and a loss but his ERA was under 2.00. To me that was one of the greatest Giants teams ever. That last game totally broke my heart.

17. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Flav, are you not working now? I (like a lot of us) just got shifted to WFH for the foreseeable future. I’ve been set up to work from home for 5 years now so this isn’t a big deal. In fact I’m digging not having to get on Bart every GD morning. I’m sure I remember that Diggity works at a school. But I can’t remember if you do as well. Although i think so. My sister teaches and she has been, once a week, handing out homework in front of her school for her kids. Strange days indeed.

18. Flavor said, on March 18, 2020 at 6:32 pm

I just watched Good Fellas for the first time. Very good movie….

• zumiee said, on March 18, 2020 at 7:16 pm

I’m not into mafia movies, but that one is very good.

• Macdog said, on March 18, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Yay! I’m trying to get my daughter to watch it.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 18, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Some serious competition going down here

20. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:19 pm

Richard is the godfather of classic Tetris. Lqtm.

21. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2020 at 8:49 pm

I remember just a couple of these

22. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2020 at 9:02 pm

I’ll watch anything at this point.

23. zumiee said, on March 18, 2020 at 10:28 pm

Flappers in a few weeks: