Waiting For Worse

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 23, 2020

Since everything has changed so dramatically in a week I am bracing myself for another big swing the wrong way. By the end of the week I wonder if we’re going to miss the *carefree* days of last week?

If I ever have trouble sleeping I usually will think of something sports related—something I might do to a fantasy team, a thread I might use for the blog in the morning—when I was really young I would think about different line up combinations the Giants might try. All of these *tactics* would help me get my mind off what I was actually worrying about and I would be able to sleep. And now, for the first time in my life, sports isn’t there to help me do this.

So I am truly tired of this shit and it’s about to get a lot worse…..

1. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 7:58 am

I do enjoy watching the games put on by Giants channel up here. That’s 3 no hitters in 7 years vs. Padres, fwiw. Lincecum got 2 of them within a year’s time.
    2015 looking at numbers as Giants hitters came up to bat, they were still a good hitting team except for HRs. Belt Posey Pence plus Craw (21 HRs 80 rbis) and Panik. Overall they were I think 5th in runs top 5 in OPS.
    But you look at draft selections and that was year of Phil Bickford at #1 and none of top 10 were much good.

2. Bozo said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:01 am

“Somebody get me a fucking wiener before I die”

• wilcojoe said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:32 am

This will be all of us very soon….Such a great book and movie. Love this scene.

• alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:45 am

And to think It was Michael Douglas film debut after leaving one of my classic TV shows of the 70’s “The Streets of San Francisco” a Quinn Martin Production starring Karl Malden&Michael Douglas..

• chipower9 said, on March 23, 2020 at 12:15 pm

LMOA. Great book and move…had not seen this in ages. Thanks for the memory and laughs, Clown.

3. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:17 am

Bickford was Giants #1 pick of draft 2015, 18th overall. Followed by Shaw Suarez Jalen Miller (stuck in AA and not hitting very well) and Duggar. How can you blow practically an entire year’s worth of picks?

4. alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:56 am

I saw where the Giants drafted Chris Shaw #31 in that draft in 2015 as well, another bust..
    Btw the Dodgers drafted Walker Buehler #24 so the Giants could of had him over Spicoli..

5. unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:19 am

Didn’t know Reuschel pitched a complete game shutout this game.

6. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 11:00 am

As expected:
    “Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed, likely to 2021, with the details to be worked out in the next four weeks.”

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 11:01 am

Seriously, his name is Dick Pound?

• alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 11:11 am

Dick Dick Dick Dick!!
        Wow so if he was dating Dick Pole that would sure be a lot of Pole Pounding going on..

• djloo27 said, on March 23, 2020 at 11:21 am

I woulda gone with Richie, myself.
        Richie Allen was adamant about being called “Dick”.
        Different time, obviously, but the word dick has been around forever.
        Was accepted slang for detective…

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 12:11 pm

And no one was going to kid Dick Allen about his name.

• chipower9 said, on March 23, 2020 at 12:17 pm

LMAO…

• unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2020 at 1:24 pm

That’s for sure! Loved Dick Allen as a kid.

7. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 11:45 am

Olympics “postponed” hmnn. Before we shut down a long time customer who had lost her husband few years ago told us she had tickets and made plans (hotel reservations airline tickets etc) for grandkids and family to attend.
    what a mess trying to sort this one out. Anyone know people who had some kind of ticket package with Giants?
    Column in Chron the other day said little other than they are offering exchanges of cancelled games for later dates.

8. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 11:51 am

Understand complications from sports orgs that don’t want to just issue blanket refunds for everything, but how can you expect fans to make reasonable decisions on whether to attend pro sporting events that are postponed indefinitely?

9. chipower9 said, on March 23, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Starting week two of full-on telecommuting. I went into the office last week and grabbed monitors and a docking station (it is almost impossible to work from just a small laptop). Grateful that I am in the position to work from home.

I sure feel sorry for all of those who have lost jobs due to the pandemic. Hopefully the steps being taken will flatten the curve sooner rather than later, and we will begin getting back to a sense of normalcy.

Gail and I typically go out for dinner a couple times a week. Love to sit at the bar to eat. I have some good friends who tended bar/served at these places, who are not out of works. Really looking forward to going out again and supporting the local community (still doing this as much as possible).

Be safe and stay healthy Flappers.

10. unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2020 at 1:24 pm

We’ve done some ordering out but for the most part we are staying home. We have hiking easily accessible so that is cool.

11. alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 2:27 pm

I ordered up a prostitute but damm even she insisted on 6 ft social distancing 🥺

12. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Giants retro game on TV tonight, 8 PM Pacific Time.
    May 25, 2013 vs. Rockies. I think it’s the Pagan walk-off inside the park HR game.

13. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Zum thx for letting those of us that can watch these know about them. Watching last few, Pagan sure looks like an annoying player if I was fan of another team.

14. snarkk said, on March 23, 2020 at 3:54 pm

I ducked out for a while, kept up reading here occasionally. I got bad flu A about a month ago. Second night I had it, I was sitting on the bed, coughing my head off and passed out. Fell over and on way down banged my head on corner of nightstand. Mrs snarkk came rushing upstairs and yelled and shook me to wake up, which I did after being out about 15 seconds. 6 hour ER visit resulted in: I had Influenza A, not corona; CT scan clear— I did have a brain but no internal bleeding; chest X-ray was Ok; got An Rx for Tamiflu; no heart attack. Total hospital bill: $21K msrp, insurance paid $8800, I pay about $350; the rest is waived. Two IVs cost $900. Insane. I’m Ok. The country isn’t…

• willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Gad, sorry to hear about all this, sounds like it could have been lot worse. Glad you’ve recovered snark; thx for letting us know. $21K yeow.

15. unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Holy shit! Glad to hear you came out of this OK. So many things can go wrong in a short amount of time.

Friend of mine had a similar thing happen when he took his wife in to have a checkup as she was 7 months pregnant. He had twisted his knee 3 weeks earlier and was on crutches and pain meds. When he got to the hospital he keeled over and fell flat on his face. Gave himself a concussion but it turned out the pain killers had caused a stomach ulcer and he had lost a ton of blood, and if he hadn’t been at the hospital he was pretty close to bleeding out internally. Crazy.

16. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Great to hear you’re OK, Snarkk!

17. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 4:35 pm

maybe inside park HR was catalyst, but Pagan after that was hurt a lot. It took him 3 months to come back after leg surgery. He hit well last month + 2013 then 2014 missed 44 games with back problems btw June and August, then Sept 25 he had disk back problems and went under knife again.
    giants of course won 2014 WS with patchwork OF and Pagan had another ring.
    2015 he had arthro surgery on knee after rough season.
    2016 he was playing LF and wasn’t resigned by Giants or anyone and said he was taking time off for family.
    still has never officially retired, lol.

• alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 5:02 pm

Is Bonds and Lincecum still on the never officially retired list as well?

18. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 4:43 pm

After giants got him from Mets he had breakout 2012 season here.
    38 doubles 15 triples 8 HRs slash line .288/.344/.414 .778 OPS.
    Rest of his entire Giants career 2013-16 he hit 13 triples total in 1600 ABs.

19. Flavor said, on March 23, 2020 at 4:47 pm

Snarkk that is a CRAZY story I can’t believe all that happened to you. So happy to hear you’re ok now.

20. alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 4:58 pm

Wow 😳
    I’m glad your ok Snarkk and it wasn’t Coronavirus on top of everything else are you would be isolated from Mrs.Snarkk& the Snarkettes another few weeks are longer.

21. snarkk said, on March 23, 2020 at 5:13 pm

Thanks for the good words, dudes.
    I’m fine, could have been worse.
    Health care in this country is insane.
    I changed my plan this past open period with my work, and upgraded it for 2020 with low deductibles and better payoffs for tests and doctors. Turns out to have been a good move.
    If you have no health insurance and no medicare in this country, you are hosed. We are reaping the whirlwind of that now…

• djloo27 said, on March 23, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Glad you’re ok, bud.
      Sorry you had to go through all that…

• Macdog said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Man, what an ordeal, glad you’re back and doing ok.

22. gianthead said, on March 23, 2020 at 5:13 pm

Ok couple days late but we have been swamped closing down office buildings, etc. But my best friend in high school was a KISS Army type of fan and I could not stand them but here is their best…

23. djloo27 said, on March 23, 2020 at 5:28 pm

Some over the hill groupie was hitting on me a few months ago to go see KISS with her.
    I only appeal to OTHGs…

24. James said, on March 23, 2020 at 5:50 pm

No stupid joke goes unpunished . . . glad to hear you’re doing ok, Snarkk. Sounds like a pretty damn terrifying experience.

Our next door neighbor got a severe infection last week after a first round of chemo for breast cancer. She’s lucky and got out of the hospital before the deluge hits, but she and her entire family are in true lockdown. I buy groceries for them, leaving the bags on the porch. There’s quite an elaborate protocol they follow to get the food into the kitchen.

• gianthead said, on March 23, 2020 at 6:07 pm

Yes good wishes Snarkk

• James said, on March 23, 2020 at 7:42 pm

In case you’ve somehow misinterpreted my “stupid joke” comment, it was in reference to something I posted yesterday. I thought your Kiss selection was easily the best of any of the responses. I couldn’t come up with anything myself.

25. Flavor said, on March 23, 2020 at 7:44 pm

my daughter is mad at me because I won’t let her go see her boyfriend or let him come up to the house. I can’t remember if I was dumb when I was young, I probably was. But I am truly in awe of how stupid kids are right now. No perspective, no clue.

• djloo27 said, on March 23, 2020 at 7:49 pm

How’s this for no clue?
      My biggest worry about possibly getting drafted (Vietnam) was having my head shaved…

26. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Zito is SP for the May 2013 game on tonight. Thankfully, 2013 was end of line for him as a Giant.

• Flavor said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:11 pm

he did more than enough in 2012. A great Giant, indeed…..

• djloo27 said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:25 pm

He was probably the most discussed (disgust?) Giant in Splash/Flap history.
        Belt maybe second?

27. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:10 pm

Carlos Gonzalez hits first pitch he sees, hanging curve ball, into the water 2-0 Rox in 3 batters. what a rocket.

28. Flavor said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:17 pm

these used to be a lot of fun.

29. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:35 pm

Man, Giants were down 4-0 in that game. Zito was so done.

• willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:59 pm

awful. Fastball at 83, the league hit .318 off him that season ERA was over 5,00 WHIP was 1.7.

30. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Andres Torres sighting. 2013 was end of line for him too, just fell completely apart.
    Brett Pill up to PH. funny to see some of these guys Giants (and fans) had such high hopes for.

31. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:12 pm

Nice to see the ballpark full during the 3-in-5. A constant buzz from the crowd.

32. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Trump wants to see the nation going back to normal next week. He truly is an idiot. But we already knew that, of course.
    No way Newsom or Cuomo will do that. Nor should they.
    Could be total chaos next week overall, though. And I’m not an alarmist by nature.

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Italy is averaging about 600 coronavirus deaths a day. They’re paying a price for being slow to take the threat seriously.

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Trump has never really taken it seriously.
        He’s a sociopath so he couldn’t care less, other than how it affects his re-election chances.

• djloo27 said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Cuomo will probably open things up gradually or incrementally, but it sure as hell ain’t starting next week.
      He’s expecting it to get way worse before there’s a turnaround…

33. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:32 pm

This game is Exhibit A why replay was needed for blown calls. Bochy got tossed after two blown calls.

34. alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:42 pm

It’s not going to get any better if the Spring Breaker kids still feel they’re invincible and party at beaches everyday…

35. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Guillermo Quiroz?? Who remembers him? Did a nice bunt in the bottom of the 10th.

36. willedav said, on March 23, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Guillermo Quieroz (who?) with sac bunt to advance Crawford before pagan gw inside park HR.
    Romo gets W after giving up bomb to Tulo who was pretty happy when he whacked hanging frisbee out yard.
    Zito everyone has their take. Mine is far too much suckitude. 100% no on even being a good Giant

• alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Agree one laid down bunt and one good pitched game doesn’t make up years of suckitude for me either.

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 10:14 pm

Zito had a really good season in ‘12. His contribution in ‘12 is good enough for me to set aside the other stuff.

37. zumiee said, on March 23, 2020 at 10:03 pm

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2020 at 6:44 am

my favorite part of that pic, next to the one a second later of Flannery dancing away towards the dugout, was how fast Torres was on Pagan at the plate.

38. alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2020 at 10:05 pm

I do remember Quiroz sandwich shop! Pretty tasty 😋 as the sandwich went thru a short conveyor to warm up and melt the cheese.Damm if they didn’t all close down now I believe?