Pics And Such

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 17, 2020

One of the coolest things about the internet is all the pictures that get shared. I’m not talking about dumbass selfies. I’m talking about pictures from the past. I saw a pic of Fiona Apple today and couldn’t believe how old she looks now, lol. Of course I haven’t seen her in many years, she went pretty deep underground I guess. Actually, that was the best thing about Facebook when it first came out—getting to see what people look like after all these years. Then, Facebook got incredibly stupid and listening to people spout off their political opinions all day gets real old real fast–so I rarely go there anymore.

I also love old sports pics. This one slid across my twitter timeline today, it’s incredible.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 6.13.45 AM

That’s The Big O, a guy I never got to see play. The symmetry of this photo is incredible not to mention what looks like a near impossible physical position considering the moment. I stared at this picture for several minutes.

Anyway, that’s all I got today. Have a good one and stay safe.

1. willedav said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:29 am

Mac’s right Eric Davis never played more than 130-ish games in a season. Mid late ’80s used to watch Braves on TBS all the time and he usually lit them up. Braves were awful then and we used to laugh at what would inevitably go wrong for them–1988 I think they lost 106.
    Davis, wow. Besides the power he could steal bags too—1986 stole 80 vs. 11 CS, 87 stole 50 vs. 6 CS.
    That one year there he it 37 HRs 100 rbis slash line .293/.399/.593.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:38 am

when I first saw Eric Davis (probably mid 80’s?) I was struck by how athletic he looked. He really stood out compared to the fat, flabby 80’s baseball players….

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:47 am

Another bad-ass gem of a picture, Flav. Thanks for sharing…that is cool. Be safe and stay healthy, Flappers.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:49 am

Eric Davis was a “specimen.” I remember watching him when they were playing the Gigantes. I recall one game where the Reds were playing Atlanta, and someone in the stands had a sign that said “Go Braves…and Take the Falcons with you!” I laughed my ass off over that one.

2. Flavor said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:37 am

BTW, if you notice any service interruption please email me bigflavor77@gmail.com
    I’ve paid my dues at name.com but there are lots of stories on the internet about them sucking. For some reason Oracle sold off the domain reg part of their service so I have to pay name.com + Oracle (for the DNS service).

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:01 am

You’re too good to us…

3. Winder said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:06 am

These are not old and hopefully they will work. I know this is a sports blog and I apologise if people are not wanting to get political. But these pictures just hit me.

• Winder said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:08 am

I especially like the one about my constitutional rights. They have got to be kidding.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:46 am

Some of them are wearing facemasks and some stayed in their cars. Clearly they have some fear of the virus.

• Stan Shell said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:06 pm

I don’t know what BF thinks about it, but politics is THE game in town right now. What else, other than sports, can get the blood stirring and cause one group calling out another. Just like 49rs-Raiders used to do in the 70’s.

4. Flavor said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:23 am

all day long rad shit like this just comes up on my twitter feed. All I have to do is click a button.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:11 am

From there to the videos shared on this site that showed them tearing the old place down. Another cool picture. I remember going to all three games of the final series at The Stick. The final game, after the final out, there was not a dry eye in the place.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:58 am

Pics really are one of the great things about the internet. Have you checked out Perfectly Cut Screams on The Twitter? That’s definitely another fun one to see.

Totally agree with you on the lameness of facebook. I initially joined when we were in Reno as a way to keep in touch with family and then connected with folks I probably never would have seen again which was cool to an extent and now it’s a hellscape of political takes and I don’t really use it much anymore. I suspect a lot of folks have gone through this same cycle. Weird how tedious political discussion starts taking over sites.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:11 am

the thing I learned a long time ago about political arguments: they’re pointless. No one ever changes their take, ever.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:42 am

Good point, Flav. I have quit trying to have meaningful dialogue with the trumpsters.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:58 am

Hope that doesn’t happen here…

• gianthead said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:57 am

I changed…went from anti to pro-Trump:) but obviously not swayed by the Flap…unless Loo used his vampiristic super powers…

6. zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:07 am

An excerpt from a longer article:
    “Christopher Cross was one of the earliest of what’s proven to be a growing number of musicians who have contracted the coronavirus.
    Though he’s on the mend, the virus has done some serious harm, leaving Cross temporarily paralyzed and “unable to walk.”
    “Unfortunately as a consequence of COVID-19 other problems were caused. At present I am suffering from intense muscle weakness and a temporary paralysis of my legs — I am unable to walk. However, physicians have assured me that I will recover. I have already begun physical therapy and am optimistic about improving,” he wrote.
    However, he did say that he’s improving and that his “physicians have assured me that I will recover.””

7. zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:17 am

This is an interview with Tony Clark in yesterday’s USA Today. Clark is the MLB players union leader. It’s his take on the situation.

8. willedav said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:27 am

friend of mine sent me a 3 minute blues cut done at Greaseland local studio with Chris lund Andersen Nic Clark couple others, a new tune called “Give Me My Stimulus.” see if I can find it on y/t.

9. chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:46 am

Not music (which I love and post here frequently) or a picture, and not sports related, but I think this is a bad ass video. I have a love for old warbird aircraft (guess that happens when you spend 34 years in the Air Force). My two favorites, the P-51D Mustang, and F4U Corsair are highlighted. And, this is a plug for Breitling watches, but the babes at the end are really easy on the eyes.

• alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 10:18 am

Great video Chi, thanks for sharing, I have never seen this one before.And yes I’m a huge fan of this classic old warbirds as well.Im also a fan of woman in uniforms!

• xoot said, on April 17, 2020 at 10:48 am

Amazing, Chuck. btw, a few years ago I saw the Blue Angels precisely write the Breitling name across the Bay Area sky on a Saturday afternoon while they were warming up for Sunday’s show. (Wonder what that cost.)

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:10 am

The cost in fuel alone would be staggering. I had a friend who passed a few years ago. We were next-door neighbors for about 10 years. Great guy. His father-in-law owned and flew an old T-6 trainer (radial engine). They would fly up from their house in Pacific Grove. He would do a fly-over of Don’s house to let us know they were here. It was like a fucking earthquake…dishes would rattle in china cabinets, etc. At cruise it would burn about 30 gallons of fuel per hour. Cool old bird.

10. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 10:38 am

Chuck, do you go to the Sacto air show? I went every year when I lived in Roseville. A huge highlight was seeing a B-29 Superfortress a few years ago, and before that 6 of the remaining flyable p-38 lightnings were there. I have hundreds of pics.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:11 am

Have been to that show a number of times, Charlie, but it has been several years. Yes, the B-29 is a bad mamajama. I would love to go up in one of those bad boys.

11. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 10:47 am

The Blue Angels (?) did an air show in Coney Island some years ago and I thought it was a disaster waiting to happen. They were buzzing real low over apartment buildings. Not a good idea – how about staying out over the water?

12. xoot said, on April 17, 2020 at 10:59 am

A few Flap highlights for me over the past few years:
    –Loo suggesting that he had at least one intense baseball discussion with George Thorogood
    –Chi meeting MadBum in between planes at the Charlotte airport (talk about your great photos)
    –Flavor discovering that Stix had been arrested
    Interesting people doing interesting things. Interesting people I wouldn’t have known otherwise.
    Such people always have interesting political views. Apathy and denial, even if feigned, are as intensely political as party-line cheerleading, imo. I like hearing about it all.

Anyone know if CV19 has hit Stix’s fed pen?

Anyone else think trump’s hair is failing? His coif crew can’t pull the ducktail together, the combover looks weak, and the frail grey strands just can’t grip the yellow dye the way they used to. imo.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:17 am

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:39 am

So great that you remember that, Xoot.
      I don’t know how much detail I went into.
      It was a memorable night.
      I had him at Howie Bedell…

• xoot said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

You gave no details, Loo. Just, as I say, a very suggestive off-hand comment. This was a great new detail. I had to google Bedell, of course, for context.

13. alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:17 am

That’s a great shot of Oscar!
    Now that’s how you clear the lane!

14. chipower9 said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:19 am

My Flap highlights:
    Meeting MadBum in the airport
    East Coast Flapalooza – meeting Loo, Mac, SanDawg and his son, Gianthead and his son…great times.
    My number of Flapaloozas here on the Left Coast – got to meet Flav, snarkk, Pawlie, Dirt, and a slew of Flappers
    Stable Boys running the daily threads for the Flap for a period of time.
    Meeting xoot (Mike) at the ballpark with his son, and having a beverage.
    Meeting sarge at a game and having a cold one.
    Many great memories from this blog.

It has just been cool as hell to meet you all (many in person). And as Mike said, all folks I would not have otherwise met.

Thank you again Flav for putting this site together and maintaining it over the years

15. willedav said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:37 am

At Flap#2 in los altos Ted was there from SF along with snark blade wisco BF iirc and we said hello to pawlie via feed. Hilarious guy in person as were his posts. Bottom line he had to go to San Jose first after we all left and we found out later he got seriously lost driving around down there and didn’t get back to City until some ungodly hour. Lot of complications, he didn’t have his car, gf had his gps yada yada. San Jose is humongous and goes on forever, and there are parts of town you don’t want to be lost in.
    I live here and got lost taking wrong exit (south instead of north for mile or two) off fwy trying to get home 20 minutes away not long ago.

Ted didn’t have anyone’s phone number that could have helped him as came out later.. I do remember Snarkk and Flav who did have Twin’s contact and helped rescue him from potential med emergency.
    It’s one thing to laugh and argue over baseball, this was quite another.

• willedav said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:10 pm

pretty sure Flavor got hold of Bozo too that night on his phone; we were passing phone around but connection got lost. That’s what I recall about seeing Pawlie too, Flav passing phone around room til we each got to say hello.

16. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:46 am

DJ, my daughter took this one a few years ago over SF.

17. gianthead said, on April 17, 2020 at 11:52 am

Ok not saying it is but doesnt this Big O pic look slightly photoshopped? His foot size looks like twice the size of that K State dude’s head. But if it were not, was he coming up with a new x-sport or pre dunk competition routine???

18. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:05 pm

His legs are facing forward. They aren’t straight sideways. It’s an optical trick of the pic.

• gianthead said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:16 pm

But look at his outline in the pic versus every other player…even more questionable in that light. He obviously did this move some time in a game but think it was just in a different position.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:02 pm

Long lens with a short depth of field.

19. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:07 pm

For Chuck.

P-51

20. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:11 pm

One more . . . The tail is 30′ tall!

B-29

21. gianthead said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Interesting stat I saw last night about COVID deaths and pretty much tracks with Virginia. 85% of the deaths nationally have been to those aged over 60 and a full 40% over the age of 80. So only 15% of those who died are under 60 and i would assume a good percentage of those had pre-exisitng or were in high risk positions such as nurses, emergency personnel.

A staggering 25% of total US deaths have been directly from nursing homes. So I think we have a major ability to much better handle the next pandemic and locking down such facilities from outsiders and focusing on testing and treatment.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:18 pm

I’d like to see the NY stats,
      I haven’t heard any breakdowns like the ones you listed, GH.
      Regardless, don’t expect your post to go over too well here…

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:27 pm

If these numbers are accurate, then maybe it’s time to get serious about just keeping the geezers in lockdown and freeing the rest of the country, If you’re 60+ (like me) and want to venture out, then that’s the chance you take…

• alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:48 pm

Yeah Loo I’m with you as being a not wanted geezer during this epidemic. I go to the grocery store and I can tell the youngsters looking at me like I have leposry (sp).Screw them I atleast have a bandanna on, more than I can say about them thinking they’re invincible to this virus..

• xoot said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:35 pm

I resemble that.

22. Flavor said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:24 pm

For me the highlight of the Flap, hands down, was the Flapalooza we had at Oracle (I forget what it was called then) circa 2013 and Unca Chuck and Diggity are talking about their kids and during the discussion they discover that….they…..are……dating.
    That was insane, one of the most surreal things I’ve seen live unfold in my lifetime.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:50 pm

That was pretty surreal, Flav! I knew Sandawg Jr. for 3 years before meeting the big Dawg.

Meeting Chuck in Colo was cool. Blade unfortunately couldn’t make it thqat night, The last Flappapalooza was awesome as well. Flav’s big drop notwithstanding, and closing Pete’s Tavern.

• alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 1:56 pm

Is Dawg Jr and Chuckette still together?

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 4:23 pm

Sadly, no. They are still friends, though.

23. alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:35 pm

Didn’t the Blue Angels fly so low back in 1983 rattling windows and sending panic through out SF neighborhoods thinking we were at war?
    I believe Mayor Feinstein called and ordered the jets grounded, but by then they were already on the ground.I believe the pilots/ navy whoever were involved signed off on a wavier to fly under the normal 1,000 ft minimum without notifying the City leaders.Some citizens said they were so close to buildings and windows that people working inside could see the pilots faces clearly. Yeah I’m sure the shit hit the fan on that one!!!

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 1:29 pm

They scared the fuck out of me.
      It was probably late 90’s..

24. Flavor said, on April 17, 2020 at 12:58 pm

this is my favorite current twitter account

25. zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 1:52 pm

The GOP, which has a lot of people calling themselves “pro-life,” is OK with letting the coronavirus euthanize the WWII generation and the Korean War generation in order to rush an opening of the economy.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:28 pm

The virus has killed some Holocaust survivors.

26. xoot said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Here’s a news report from yesterday about FCI Elkton, where I believe Stix resides. (Maybe they let him out early due to the crisis. Maybe.) I’m tired of lame pro-rich-people apologies from trump and his ghoulish enablers. Personally.

27. Stan Shell said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:39 pm

GH, I agree that the stats you show illustrate “possible trends” in infection. If it checks out on long run then it may help recovery. But, reports of a sailor on the carrier dying of this indicates some in the “safe” group would catch it bad. Also, it seems to be deadly in places like nursing homes. Do you think society will go merrily on its way if nobody could see their relatives in long term care – -possibly ever? We are going to have to know: 1) Who has it; 2) Who is communicating it; 3) Who had it and is safe for all to be in contact with. Forget about everything until that happens. Regardless of what the Dear Leader says, we are miles and miles away from that now.
    Not even mentioned that sooner or later there will have to be a HUGE contact program to quarantine those exposed to the virus.
    Mayor of LA said things like stadium crowds are likely out for the rest of the year. Can’t have sports without LA (as much as we hate their teams).

OSF

• xoot said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:47 pm

One item yesterday caught my notice. Drs Birx and Fauci both relied on colorful maps that charted “flu-like” spreads by state, as one way to estimate, roughly, what’s happening. Then I heard another doctor explain that those maps are generated, in part, by charting google searches related to flu-like illness and treatments. Give me a break. That ain’t gonna track this bug.

28. blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Regarding Peter’s comment, “So in Virginia the total deaths of those under 60 years old is about 30 total people. In a state of about 6 million adults under the age 60 (my estimate), that percentage is exactly the same average as annual US deaths by drowning annually at .000005. Obviously not saying that the heightened contagiousness (word?) Is not real, but I think we are really lot closer to normalcy in most of the country than this being a long-term threat to the vast majority of those under 60. I would expect the death stats for CA by age is probably quite similar. Therefore, PLAY BALL!”

Just my take, but if I get it and die, that’s 100% . . . not fucking .000005%

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Wait 3 weeks and the death toll in VA will be a LOT higher. They were one of the last states to put Stay-In Place in place. For all the talk of SIP working, we would need to do this for 6 more weeks to see if it is really on the decline.

Singapore thought they were over the worst of their problems and eased back on staying in place. They had their highest recorded cases by day after they tried to open things back up 5 days later.

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:48 pm

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Imagine if he faced Jim Abbott…

30. Macdog said, on April 17, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Nice game I found on this day in ’78. Vida goes 7 strong. Stretch hits 2nd-to-last career triple to give Giants the lead. And someone named Skip James pinch-runs for McCovey and gives Giants a cushion with his second and last career double.

baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN197804170.shtml

• Macdog said, on April 17, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Ooops, bad link.

• alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Skip James I remember him well, he was suppose to be next in line to replace Willie McCovey at 1st base.Lol like that was going to workout.
      Went by the Nickname atleast I called him this along with some of my buddies as “The Albino Wonder”

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Someone I know nicknamed Jesse Foppert “The Burn Victim”
        Had a double meaning, I guess…

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 4:32 pm

I remember the name Skip James, but nothing else about him.
        I remember the Giants had high hopes for Ed Goodson, but that didn’t really pan out. I think he played 3b.

31. alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 5:07 pm

I find it ironic that Chad “The Groper”Gaudin best year in his 10 year career was his last one with the Giants going 5-2 with an era of 3.06.Nobody bothered picking him up after the gurney “cop a feel”story in Vegas.

32. Flavor said, on April 17, 2020 at 5:21 pm

I had a Skip James autograph! It was on a napkin my dad had autographed that also included Mike Sadek, Altobelli and a couple of others. I lost it many years ago.

33. Macdog said, on April 17, 2020 at 6:04 pm

I found a caption for the Big O picture:

Oscar Robertson (12), Cincinnati’s All-American Star, is seen mid-air in spread-eagle position after a rebound catch during the NCAA regional elimination game in Manhattan, Ka., March 1959 at an unknown location. Standing at right is All-American Star Bob Boozer (30) of Kansas State. Associated Press

34. blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2020 at 6:20 pm

Without checking the internet, who is the MORE famous Skip James?

Hint – Bozo and Willie already know this I believe, so they can’t participate . . . other hint, he “played” in Mississippi.

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Clarification – just tell me about this other Skip James.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:59 pm

Yep. Well, to me it’s the non-baseball player.

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:42 pm

What did he play?

35. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:41 pm

If Joe Biden was in Goodfellas, Pesci would call him a “stutterin’ prick”…

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:49 pm

The Pesci character wished he lived as long as Biden.

36. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Yasiel Puig does not think there will be a 2020 baseball season…

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:49 pm

He’s right.

• alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:09 pm

Yeah he’s right.So since he hasn’t signed with anyone maybe now he can just live a life of total isolation from baseball forever as far as I’m concerned..

37. zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:58 pm

If MLB puts on a ridiculously crazy Thunderdome Quarantine season for 2 or 3 months, I’ll never consider it anything legitimate.
    A case could be made that MLB should vacate the championships three years in a row, ‘17-‘20. Try to come back in ‘21 with something legitimate.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 7:59 pm

Oops, I meant 3 out of 4 years vacated. The Nats in ‘19 were legit.

38. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Not seeking to enter a political discussion, but looking at those Michigan protester pics in the post by Winder: That’s just scary. Reminiscent of the ol’ “God Guns and Guts” stuff years ago. Makes me appreciate all the more living in a country where there are no guns. After reading articles and seeing pics like those, one of my students asked me yesterday, “Mr. Pao… why are Americans protesting against their government trying to keep them safe? Why isn’t everybody cooperating to fight together against this virus? Co len! Co len! (Fighting!)”…. Collectivist societies don’t really understand the occasional foolishness of individualistic societies….

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2020 at 8:57 pm

I’ve been considering the hardcore Trump followers to be a cult. He’s now asking them to drink the deadly koolaid.

39. Bozo said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:31 pm

I haven’t fact checked this, but I’m pretty sure Joe West still blew a call today.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:40 pm

lulz Yay, something funny, haven’t lulzed at anything in awhile… 🙂

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Hang in there, Paul.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 17, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Thank you, kind sir, you as well. It’s about all there is now, just hanging in there… We’ll get there.

40. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 17, 2020 at 10:15 pm

They played a baseball game in Taiwan! Streamed it live across the world for free. “Overlooking the field were four metal robots, complete with glowing eyes and swiveling heads. Armed with drum sticks, they banged snare drums throughout the game.” “The only #LIVE Pro-baseball game on EARTH,” announced Eleven Sports Taiwan in a tweet before Thursday’s game, which was streamed live on the platform. “We hope we can cheer up all the people who might be under the impact of coronavirus,” said Simone Kang, general manager of Eleven Sports Taiwan. “Don’t feel sad … just watch Taiwan professional baseball.” Ok.. I might try that…

41. mrsprtdude said, on April 18, 2020 at 5:35 am

Athletic list of 50 greatest SF Giant homers. This is number 48

• djloo27 said, on April 18, 2020 at 7:51 am

I always rooted for Tim Salmon after that…

42. mrsprtdude said, on April 18, 2020 at 5:37 am

The wife and i went to yankee stadium to see SF that year. We were at the friday game:)

• djloo27 said, on April 18, 2020 at 7:49 am

So was I, SportsDude.
      Lousy seats way down the LF line – field level.
      All I remember is that the Giants lost and my neck hurt for days…

43. chasingstillness1 said, on April 23, 2020 at 2:07 pm

One of the coolest things about the internet is all the pictures that get shared. I’m not talking about dumbass selfies. I’m talking about pictures from the past. I saw a pic of CV today and couldn’t believe how old he looks now, lol.