Why Play?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 3, 2020

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 7.36.57 AM

I read this and it got me to thinking, why wouldn’t anyone get surgery right now? For anything? Tune up, major, just get it done.

And if you were in the last year of your contract there’s no way you play in a 50 game season, right? The risk of injury for not a lot of $$$ would be too great. Just sit it out and get paid in the off season.

Am I missing something here? Mookie Betts would just say “screw it” right? He’s got no allegiance to LA, no reason to diddle around for 50 games. Hell, he could just say his knee hurts or something and get out of playing that way….

1. willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:17 am

Other than just to show you can still perform at certain level, sure. Someone like smrdz, looking for his last contract I could see being up for demonstrating his prowess. Also guys like Belt and Craw that have had disappointing seasons and nearing end of deal, might want to show they aren’t done yet.
    And maybe they just want to get out and away from homestead like rest of us.

2. willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:23 am

This is going to sound sacrilegious, but I have new found respect for Jessica Mendoza. Happened upon college softball world series from 2000 (or maybe 2001) while mindlessly scrolling sports channels, where she was playing CF for Stanford. Pitchers completely dominate that sport so often not a lot of action or scoring. However, she hit 2 doubles including game winner, stole 2b and made catch up above wall in CF. They upset one of top seeds LSU 2-1 in extras.

Turns out she was their best hitter all through her entire career there, won league honors (and Pac 12 very strong in this sport) and still holds batting records. She won gold and silver playing in 2 Olympics. She even played basketball in HS and was teams leading scorer there too.
    Annoying as broadcaster she was, she could play in her day.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2020 at 10:32 am

I dig women’s college softball. Much different game than baseball. Much quicker, and yes, pitching dominates.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2020 at 11:44 am

Didn’t Jenny Finch strike out Barry Bonds at an exhibition event?

• willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 12:03 pm

yeah I was thinking about that. they pitch 60 mph+ but distance to home plate is only 40 some feet. yikes

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Good recollection, Mike. Yep…she did strike-out BB. Not only a fun game to watch (women’s college softball), but some of those ladies are easy on the eyes, too.

Yes WillieD – 60 MPH “heater” in softball equates to 90s-100s in baseball (given distance between mound and plate).

3. chipower9 said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:24 am

Why play? Because we want to see some fucking baseball.

I am sure there will be those who take the tact you mention, Flav, but if they can work-out the length of season, and the $$ part, I think clubs can field a team.

Get your shit together, baseball, and PLAY BALL!

4. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:40 am

Raiders new stadium looks like a Roomba,that where all the trash is collected!!

5. willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:56 am

Reading through the MLBTR story on Archer, who has a big $11 mil option that will surely be declined by Pirates they make a statement that I hadn’t thought of in regards to guys like Smrdz that are in last year of contract.
    “With teams losing enormous revenue amid the pandemic shutdown, it’s widely expected that free agents and arbitration eligible players will feel the effects of those losses. Many in the game expect a depressed free agent market and a spike in number of non-tendered players.” ouch

6. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 9:16 am

Yeah I can see that Willied.
    Players on they’re last year’s of contracts who are older are going to fill the pinch, along with teams that want to cut the fat on players with big contracts with little production.Something the Giants needed to do.But did not do.Wont be that way under Farhan thank god,once the end of some of this ridiculous contracts, it will be a much better structure going forward with more easy controlling contracts with the younger players..

7. sandog said, on June 3, 2020 at 9:56 am

I’m still staunchly in the “cancel the season” camp. And if they truly roll out a 50 game season, I WILL boycott watching, attending, or listening to games. That’s a bridge too far for me.

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2020 at 10:17 am

yeah, anything less than 82 and I can’t support it this season. I’d rather just sit here and wait for Stix to sort out his technical issues

8. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 10:19 am

Agree SanDog!!
    50 games sucks donkey dick!!
    Btw A bridge to far excellent film!
    Also like Von Ryan Express Sinatra was actually pretty good in that movie.
    Hey the prisoners would be like us in that movie, 50 games in baseball?
    Hell were just going to burn are clothes and be butt naked!!

9. Flavor said, on June 3, 2020 at 10:27 am

these guys are just wasting everyone’s time. I’m not following this anymore till we hear one way or the other about what’s actually gonna go down.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2020 at 10:59 am

I am so done with this MLB clown show. The nation is in tatters for health, wealth and politically. Millions out of work like the Depression. The other leagues have (NHL) or appear (NBA) to be getting their act together to play some semblance of their sport in the next 6 weeks or so, with reasonable health protections in sports that have more likelihood than baseball of spreading the Covid. Yet, both sides of my favorite sport are so adversarial and clueless and greedy, they argue in public constantly about how to split still a decent amount of billions in TV money, because they’re worried how this extraordinary agreement will disadvantage them in next year’s CBA negotiations. Players making idiotic, selfish statements on social media. Teams cutting minor league relationships, and cutting loose 18-24 year old minor leaguers with nothing but a kick in the ass on the way out the clubhouse door — not even making them free agents for the privilege. What a great look that is. Plus, the sport is already well into a long downslide into an ever increasingly unwatchable, regional sport, that appeals mostly to dudes like us — with gray hair. Screw both sides, I’m not paying attention to this S-show anymore. I’m with Sandog and Kat — baseball should just quit this season and stop the shooting of the reciprocal firing squads…

10. Flavor said, on June 3, 2020 at 11:16 am

50 games is just not tenable.

11. willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 11:29 am

The one big advantage baseball has over NBA is that a half season or thereabouts will NOT interrupt its normal flow of calendar and end pretty much as usual. all the more reason to end the arguments ASAP, divvy up the $$$ and JUST PLAY.

12. willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 11:36 am

I do think there are a lot of fans in the next gen, and among the “sellout 30 thou+” at the O. My godson who is in group of padres season ticket holders would definitely be sad not to be able to go with friends, wife and young daughter. Missing an entire season would bum them out very much. Pro sports in general are expensive to take wife and kids too very often; lot of areas don’t have pro football basketball or hockey. Being able to watch/follow them on TV home and away is big deal… I can see how losing that this year would have negative impact going forward on that group however.

13. Stan Shell said, on June 3, 2020 at 11:47 am

I think it’s ridiculous to hang on to a POS-type 50-80 game season with no fans. The NBA might be able to pull something off since it has relatively small squads. The BIG deal is the NFL. 330 pound (often black) OL’s face to face with the other team’s OL. No way without vast quarantine protocols. Meanwhile, they are printing post season tickets down in Tampa. If (when?) they cancel the season there will be riots in Tampa that will dwarf what is going on now.
    I get it that you all want to see sports. Christ, that’s about all a guy my age can do (other than drink and smoke)! I just think the logistics of pulling it off is going to be too great.
    Has anybody noticed what is going on in S.A., Russia, and other parts of the 3rd world? If it is over there than it will still be here. Sorry.

Cassandra A.K.A. OSF

14. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2020 at 11:54 am

Shit, 9 years ago, for my 50th b-day, I took Kathy and the kids to a game with decent seats 20 rows behind 3rd base. The tally was around $750.00 for face-value tix, parking, beers, popcorn and a few hotdogs. What happens when the owners cry poverty and raise ticket prices next year? $50.00 parking? $25.00 beers? $30.00 bleacher seats?

I didn’t even get a $20.00 crab sando.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2020 at 12:03 pm

What happens? For me, I quit going to games. I go to a lot fewer now than years ago, anyway. At some price point, I will say FUCK YOU to the greedy bastards. They have already turned the game into a corporate gig and squeezed the common fan/family out to a large extent.

15. xoot said, on June 3, 2020 at 11:57 am

The two sides seem to have agreed on pro rata pay. Opt out seems essential. Health precautions should be negotiable. (Effective? Who knows.) Number of games seems negotiable, too. If they play, even if they play 50, I’ll watch to follow the kids on the extended roster and taxi squad as much as anything else. And I’ll still enjoy seeing a dodger make the last out in the top of the ninth by swinging over a breaking ball in the dirt — live. Will it be a true season? No, not close. But this year has already turned into a collective version of what a French kid once called A Season in Hell. Give me something live, in the sun.

An on-line blues feed I listen to just played Cream’s version of Crossroads. It sounded like the pathetic plea of a rock-star junkie forced, by temporary circumstances, to seek his fix out on the street. Eff that. Give me something real. Even what might amount to extended ST baseball.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Good post…I am with you 100% on all points. Sure, I would love to see more than 50, but give me what ya got, which is better than nothing at all, IMO.

What is the blues feed, Mike?

• xoot said, on June 3, 2020 at 12:51 pm

One of my pandora stations. Sonny Boy W, I think. pandora’s gone way downhill. Ask for Chicago blues and they’ll often give you Lightnin Hopkins, which is great, but still . . . . I’ve had some good luck with AccuRadio. Bozo’s tip, WWOZ, has always been good, too. Maybe I’ll switch to that right now, see what’s on.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2020 at 1:04 pm

So I switched to WWOZ and the dj playing right now calls his show Sittin’ at the Crossroads. Cosmic joke’s on me. But it sounds good. James Cotton to start.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2020 at 1:18 pm

Agree on Pandora going downhill. I do listen to it alot when on the motorcycle. In my truck I have SiriusXM, and bounce between Grateful Dead and BB King’s stations.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2020 at 1:34 pm

I’ve tried Sirius over the years and liked it for the car, but I’ve never re-upped when my gratis time expired. That long-running show Bob Dylan dj’d was terrific.

16. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 12:19 pm

2020 the year baseball disappeared from existence!
    Cancel this shit show season between Owners&Players!
    And then to go thru this again in 3 years when a collective bargaining agreement needs to be negotiated?
    Baseball is spiraling out of control, and the fans are fed up and likely boycott going to games forward!!

17. willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Seal come on. Are you sorry Paris has opened up its beloved cafes? Or that baseball is being played in the Orient? Taiwan will allow fans too.
    Done properly I think it can be done here too; as is I will take no fans and not rue for one minute K and K focus on “gamer babes” family food feuds or anyone who did or didn’t manage a foul ball grab in seats.
    3 solid months of MLB dang near every day is fine with me. I really want to see how Kapler handles himself with what he has to work with.

18. Winder said, on June 3, 2020 at 12:50 pm

I would still like to see how our kids on the roster and our AAA, and some AA players handle big league pitching. Play the game and handle pressure. Perfect time to get younger. Might as well make the best of the situation.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Agree. Hope they get their shit together and play some ball.

19. willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 2:31 pm

mlb tv showing probably last meaningful giants W–game 3 2016 NLDS at home vs. Cubs.
    Gillaspie belts 2 run triple off Chapman. Romo gave up 2 run bomb to Bryant.
    Panik wins it with walk off 13th off Montgomery.

20. Winder said, on June 3, 2020 at 4:22 pm

If it does come down to a 50 game season who really gives a shit about the standings in the end. All that really is is an extended spring training. Knock the rust off and see who has some spark. It could still be fun and interesting.

21. Stan Shell said, on June 3, 2020 at 5:22 pm

You guys are mis-reading my intent. Sure, I would watch like a MFer if just 25 games. I just don’t think it will happen. You guys know what’s going on with the virus and how elusive it is. Only Trump thinks that we are all going to be magically immune by “pre-season”. If there is no spike in cases in 3 weeks, then it will be found to be losing its punch. Then we all could think about going out without killing their old father (me). If it does spike then forget about sports as usual. Some league will give it a go- -maybe all. I just feel it isn’t going to happen until something in the vaccine/treatment area happens.

I’ve actually thought about forcing a re-open with no fans. Somehow they would have to capture live verbal reactions from fans watching in small groups, amplify it, synch it and feed it into the TV broadcast. Else a huge part of enjoyment goes out the window. That’s how I would handle the TV angle of team sports.

How about one of you smart guys on this blog explain how it would happen when a 25 man squad with support personnel can play a season without catching or giving the virus. And, if somebody does catch it (the star pitcher or QB) what happens?

• xoot said, on June 3, 2020 at 5:42 pm

Japanese baseball was getting ready to start up. But some players have tested positive, including one of the biggest stars (Sakamoto, on the Yomiuri Giants). So now mlb gets a preview.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2020 at 5:58 pm

Yep…

• willedav said, on June 3, 2020 at 6:56 pm

OK I agree the chances someone testing positive during the course of even a half season will happen. where we part ways is the idea that testing positive ruins everything. The people we are talking about are NOT 70 years old with preexisting medical complications, nor are they in nursing homes. They are the exact opposite and will immediately receive the best of care, isolation and treatment.

What happened when idiot Rudy Gobert caught it? he was isolated and he recovered. This is what I see happening, 99.9999% of the time. Nothing is perfect–you can only make it as safe as possible.
      You do notice, most of the players beef is over amount of games played and salary rec’d…

• Winder said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:00 pm

I don’t think anything will prevale for long without a vaccine.

22. zumiee said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:18 pm

If a player (or coach or whoever) tests positive then they should be quarantined, and everyone they came into contact with lately should be quarantined, too. That’s what’s supposed to happen, if they want to follow medical science. If they don’t, and want to go all ‘wild west’ and just do whatever, that’s up to them.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Dusty Baker is 70 years old. He needs to give this some thought.
      John Maddon is 66.
      There’s some coaches and umps that are pretty old.
      Some could be considered overweight.
      What about Mike Murphy the clubhouse dude?
      What about Krukow with his health issues? I guess Krukow could do all the games from home via technology. Won’t be as much fun for him.

23. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Yes, that’s what’s supposed to happen — after even just one person on or related to the team is infected, the whole team goes into quarantine. The result of such a shortened season scenario could be that the *last team standing* (meaning, not in quarantine) is the winner. Ugh. Probably better to just go all wild west. Or not at all. With everything happening in the US right now, Corona seems to have become an after-thought. Hope it doesn’t roar back. Maybe the opposite will be true: it ain’t as bad as we thought…. Short of it is: no one has any f-ing clue what’s going to happen.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:33 pm

It will probably have killed 200,000 by the time September gets here.
      I could see the season starting this summer, with players thinking they’re cool, and then some players start getting sick, and all the players start freaking out, and say “we’re shutting down the season.”

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:36 pm

I’m not sure how MLB could get a guarantee from the players that the players won’t freak out if things get kind of weird.

• alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:40 pm

And that’s exactly what’s going to happen Zumie!

24. zumiee said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:38 pm

“What happened when idiot Rudy Gobert caught it? he was isolated and he recovered.“

The entire NBA shut down.

25. xoot said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:41 pm

I want live professional baseball, not some bizarre, neoteric dance of death. The season could go south real quick, I suppose.

The union is pushing for the opt-out clause. I haven’t seen much more about the health and safety provisions the two sides have discussed. Doesn’t mean it’s not a crucial subject of negotiation behind the scenes.

26. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 7:46 pm

He was also dumb enough to infect other teammates,and how stupid was this idiot when he licked his hands and spit and smeared his germs all over a press conference he attended in front of the media.Gobert still is a fucking retard in my book that will never grow up!!

27. mrsprtdude said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:20 pm

We will know how dangerous Covid is in a few weeks. If hundreds of thousands of protesters who didn’t distance, were yelling (thus forceful exhalation) and no masks don’t bring on a spike in cases then we can all go back to normal right?

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Some of them wore masks; but, yeah, a lot of them didn’t.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:30 pm

A lot of the police weren’t wearing masks either.

28. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Yeah good point Sportsdude.Im betting on a huge spike myself now.
    Maybe a temporary lower spike in Police beatings and deaths, but time will tell..

29. Bozo said, on June 3, 2020 at 8:58 pm

They are still studying the long term effects from patients that survived Covid-19. They are looking at lung scarring, kidney failure, heart and maybe some liver damage. Man, if only MLB could add some possibilities of impalements, now that would be the complete entertainment package.

One of my favorite things since I was a kid, was walking into a ballpark and hearing the buzz in the stands, seeing the yard in front of me, it was home, a sacred place. If they play ball this year, that’s out.
    I’m a National league guy, I really don’t like the DH. If they play ball this year, that’s in.
    I don’t like intra-league games but the MLB proposal is to realign the Divisions so it’s 100%.
    I think having a shorten season to tryout some of those proposals and Manfred’s other looney ideas like the time clock rules, pitchers pitching to 3 batters and my all time favorite, starting each at bat in an extra inning game with some guy on second base, would all have me turning the channel. Fifty games, a hundred games, doesn’t matter to me, I’d still probably only watch a couple of games of that shit…unless MLB adds impalements.

30. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2020 at 9:49 pm

I’m still not getting over the free pass to 1st base!
    I’ve seen to many incidents where the pitcher brain farts and throws it pass the catcher with a runner on 3rd..
    Is that too much to ask to go back to regular baseball they way it should be played??