Accepting No Baseball in 2020

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 4, 2020

Totally prepared and ready for no baseball this year. 50 games is a joke, if they try to trot that shit out I can’t support that. I kinda see where the owners are coming from. If they’re going to make most of their dough from the post season tv revenue and there is a legit risk of another round of Covid shutting the sport down again, I can at least see the pause for concern.

We’ve already accepted no sports into our lives. We can all get through this, it just sucks.

1. willedav said, on June 4, 2020 at 7:58 am

I just don’t think pro athletes, including baseball players, fit the profile of those facing most severe consequences of testing positive for virus. They are diametric opposite of being anywhere near bottom of socio economic scale, they were most likely born in the 90s (not the 50s), and they have instant daily access to highest quality health care, testing, etc.
    They represent a very privileged group. If they want to try and pursue their livelihood in the limited timeline available to them and under present conditions, so be it.

• alleykat69 said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:32 am

The SS and Catcher 31&27 for the Yomiuri Giants both just tested positive for Covaid19, so I don’t see how this virus doesn’t infect anyone at anytime.

2. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 8:08 am

50 games is not optimum in my opinion…I would prefer to see something like 82, etc., but if 50 is what they agree on, then giddy-up. I agree with SanD’s take on this from the last thread, and see it as an opportunity to see some of the kids play, etc.

3. Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:06 am

here’s something to consider. The D1 college baseball season is 56 games and no one has any problem with that right? Nobody questions the College World Series champion for only playing 56 reg season games.

4. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:26 am

But the college playoffs are 150 games or some shit, but there are what, 300 D1 baseball programs? Different deal. I say fuck the season until they get shit right. Starting a season only to stop it a week later would be a huge waste of time and effort.

Willie, this isn’t about the players, even though some may sustain permanent lung/heart damage from getting the virus. 2% of the players is an acceptable number to lose their caareers? The point being they need to be protected from themselves. All those NFL players in the 60s-70s would say “get me in however”. Cortisone, Percodan, whatever. 20 years later they are dying because of their passion for the game at the time.

It’s the umps, coaches, trainers, etc. who would get sick/die from this, but some of the players would be affected as well.

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:30 am

64 teams, 4 rounds.

• willedav said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:52 am

I’m sure someone will test positive I just don’t think that should be death sentence for them or the league. I’m also pretty sure they survive, as do most who are not otherwise medically compromised who get mild case. We won’t be able to tell who is affected for years; science is all over map right now as to when it arrived (some say it was here in December for America), different strains possibly more deadlier than others, yada yada. The players are ready to go–any ump or coach etc. that isn’t comfortable, fine they should be free to opt out.
      The nba is ready to go and their players will be in much closer contact. Who am I to tell LeBron James it’s not safe? I love you guys but I think any professional athlete that thinks it is safe enough to play under set conditions, more power to them.

• unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2020 at 10:37 am

Pretty sure? Your ass ain’t on the line, Willie. And, again, for every game played, there are dozens of people behind the scenes that will be exposed. Guys your age. My age. They WILL get sick and/or die.

Like I said, the players should be protected from themselves. They don’t know any better. But to needlessly expose trainers, coaches, medical staff, etc. to this will kill folks.

• willedav said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:28 am

“Protected from fhemselves”? How would that have worked when I was early/mid 20s?

5. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:38 am

Right. About 150 games as they are best-of-3.

6. alleykat69 said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:59 am

This is gonna be weird.All MLB Announcers will not be traveling with they’re teams for road games.
    They will be in a local studio are at they’re home parks calling the action.That has to be pretty precise on tv, with no possible glitch are delay I would assume.This is just not baseball anymore in the times we’re living..

7. willedav said, on June 4, 2020 at 10:12 am

Great composer arranger and saxophone player Oliver Nelson would have been 68 today. Recorded one of best jazz lps ever, “Blues and the Abstract Truth” featuring iconic track Stolen Moments. Not a bad cut on entire lp, led by stalwarts Freddie Hubbard Eric Dolphy Bill Evans and Roy Haynes. good stuff

8. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2020 at 10:16 am

Good stuff, Willie. I think Stolen Moments was used in every detective/private eye movie in the 70s.

9. Macdog said, on June 4, 2020 at 10:49 am

Just for fun, I looked it see what division standings would’ve looked like after every team played 50 games last year:

Dodgers 32-18. Pads 26-24. DBacks 25-25. Rox 23-27. Giants 21-29.
    Cubs 30-20. Brew 28-22. Cards 25-25. Pirates 25-25. Reds 23-27.
    Phils 29-21. Braves 27-23. Mets 24-26. Nats 19-31. Marlins 16-34.

Astros 33-17. A’s 25-25. Rangers 25-25. M’s 23-27. Angels 22-28.
    Twinkies 34-16. Indians 26-24. White Sox 23-27. Tigers 19-31. Royals 17-33.
    Yanks 33-17. Rays 31-19. Red Sox 27-23. Jays 20-30. O’s 15-35.

Not a whole lot different in the AL from 50 games to 162. Division winners stayed the same, Rays were WC but A’s would be out.

The NL, though, is a different story. Bums only division champ, Cubs and Phils lost out to Cards and Braves, and the Nats obviously turned things around. If there is a 50-game season, assume the playoffs will be expanded to at least 16 teams overall.

Good news for Giants? Maybe Kapler can duplicate his early-season success in SF (Phils also started 29-21 in ’18).

10. Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 10:51 am

WHEW!!! OMG!!! Here at last. Dual use on this grrflunktikkated Acer computer. After several botherings of my 26 Y.O. nephew, dealing with now 4 different posters in this household complete with a whole systems down due to I don’t know what, it was time for me to actuate my “release” presented debit card and go through all their hoops so I could cough up $48 to WierdPress (was not the case 4 years ago) outta the $81.25 to my name to finally get down with you guys. I mean, psychologically, the whole thing was a near stress-out. For sure, nephew musta been thinking “elders, how do we manage to put up with em. Meanwhile, the ankle bracelet I’m obliged to wear per BOP protocols, policies and procedures, has gotten really tight due to the neuropathy in my left ankle area…called up my halfway house case manager (Volunteers of America doing their bid for the current owners of my corpus…the Bureau of Prisons)…It’s waaaay across the metro, with no bus service here. Nephew is off to his mgmt. job at a convenience store. Sister is working from home online and in video-conferences. The $30 odd bucks left to my name wouldn’t suffice to taxi there and back and the HH has nobody to pick me up/and or come here to simply loosen up the device which is close to the painful level on accounta the neuropathy due to the diabetes I developed courtesy of the holding facility the U$ Mar$hal’s service and the county facility where I was held for 16+ months…Food there began with breakfasts all carbs and sugar…also no real exercise possibilities. Now, to add to the fun, the VOA case manager just called to let me know that I’d hafta stay at the facility if I can’t get transportation there to check in twice weekly on the BOP’s little tentacles program. Also, I’d need to get there on occasional demand for pisstests. This wouldn’t come into play until Phase II of CoV-19 comes into play. At that point, home confinement is no longer an option and I’d hafta live in a place with low-nutrition food, no library and all kinds of additional hassles until November 10 official out date.
    Enough of my troubles for now. Back to baseball…hopefully. Have been lurking on the site up to today, so I’m ready to answer questions, etc. Will be pretty open about that. One more gripe…the Federal govt. is totally outta control and it is NOT just Trump’s fault, however much of a boor/cartoonish he may be. He is actually quite right about one thing…It’s all about the DEEP $TATE. The Bureau of Prisons is totally unaccountable. They wanna keep their talons in everyone who falls into their clutches. Its all a huge racket. Though taxpayers cough up$2+/day for our “care”, their per prisoner food expenditure daily is ca. $ two bucks. Medical “care” is mid-range Third World level. It’s a human warehousing system and the place I was held, as of 8-8- 20 had apx.
    30% of the death toll in the entire BOP…AND, I hate this keyboard.
    Yes, definitely not able right now to maintain on subject…Maybe its because of all those rules & regs the BOP shackles you with even when, in one sense, you’re outta da joint.
    GO GIANTS!!!

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 10:56 am

Correction: BOP gets $103+/day for board & care,, not $2+. I’m blaming the glitch on stress and this funky keyboard & mouse-plate combo AND being a bit rusty with my eye-hand coordination. Also fingernails a bit long for this thing…clik, clik.

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:08 am

HOLY SHIT! I almost fell outta my chair! Welcome, Stix!

• willedav said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:35 am

whoa! welcome back Stix!

• xoot said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:36 am

So glad to see you here, Stix! The continuing bop clampdown sounds bad. Hang in there.

• Macdog said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:53 am

Hey, welcome back Stix! And thanks for making my 10:49 post the most irrelevant of the year, haha.

• sfsarge said, on June 4, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Hey Stix! Welcome back . Glad you finally got out.

11. Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:06 am

My second stop was at the VeteransToday website where one of their lead stories is all about unidentifiable,,armed, riot-gear equipped men occupying much of the District of Corruption this afternoon

12. wilcojoe said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:26 am

I work for a Fortune 100 company and they just announced their 4 phase plan to return employees back into our corporate offices. Long story short is aside from sales and distribution folks who rely on face to face meetings, nearly everyone will be working from home the rest of the year. Even the sales people have strict guidelines for face to face meetings and most have been trained to meet clients and customers virtually .

Other than the sales folks, most everyone has adapted well to working from home. I predict we see a major shift in that Americans stay working from home and thus reducing the commercial real estate footprint.

• xoot said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:38 am

My son’s employer shut down several offices nationwide, including SF, and laid off some three dozen people, total. But he’s thriving so far working from home and his Oakland office is one of the survivors. So far. He expects to do almost all of his work from home going forward.

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:38 am

Similar story here. I work for a company who is contracted with a division of the department of energy. Other than a small percentage who must work onsite, it looks like the remainder of staff will work from home for the rest of the year for us, too. Same story…everyone has adapted. We’re on our 13th week of full-time telecommuting.

Before the pandemic, leadership was already discussing shared spaces to limit the real estate footprint. I see a huge shift in the way a lot of Americans work going forward.

• xoot said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:48 am

Not a good time to be invested in downtown office towers or suburban office parks, I guess.

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2020 at 12:00 pm

If there is a LT major shift away from commuting long distances to home work, that will definitely help the environment. I’ve been working from home going on 10 weeks or so, and I’m down with it. I can focus more, few distractions, no walking to/from meetings, etc. And when I need a break I can go out in my back yard and just walk or fiddle with something for 5-10 minutes. Definitely less stressed…

13. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:36 am

Welcome back Stix!!!!! Yeah, Blackwater guys have been seen milling about DC the past few days mingling with all the other law enforcement types. Glad you got through the worst of this, albeit with some nasty side-effects.

Beyond that, it ain’t the deep state, Stix, it’s unchecked greed at its worst. And it IS Trump’s fault as he is the one ratcheting up private (for-profit) prisons. As bad as the conditions are in state/fed prisons, they pale in comparison to privately run joints. Obama had stopped the construction of private facilities, but they came back with a venegence under Trump. We can all thank Clinton for the huge increase in detained prisoners though.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Unca. Totally agree on private prisons. They are obscene. Carter was last halfway decent president. JFK was last uncontrolled pres.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:44 am

Stix, welcome back. Great hearing from you.

15. snarkk said, on June 4, 2020 at 11:56 am

Welcome back, Stix.
    Give us a rundown on one of your cooked meals, when you get back into that…

16. Winder said, on June 4, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Hi Stix- Glad to hear they gave you a gate pass. I don’t know if it’s still the case but the VOA used to have the contract for the Oakland work furlough program. You kind of have to be careful with those guys. One of my friends was there and everyday they would drop him off at the Alameda Naval station to work at cleaning the docks and some of the abandon warehouses. Anyway, one day the base police pulled the guy who worked for the VOA over and arrested him, they had been watching him for months stealing stuff out of the warehouses.

17. Stan Shell said, on June 4, 2020 at 12:34 pm

Stix, I’m not familiar with your posts. I was out of this site for several years, but have witnessed the clamor from these guys wishing you were back free and posting here again. You must have somethings good to say.
    I would second Chuck’s opinion about Trump and the prison system.
    My father was a CHP, so I know from that side of the law. I also have personally been involved with a series of bent cops in the 60’s. The prison system is so fucked up right now it is unbelievable. It’s a total cash cow for whoever runs elements of it. More inmates the more $$ for them. The system is set up to perpetuate.
    Trump is a totally FUBAR President. The Deep State he refers to are judges, intel agencies, I.G.s, etc. Any body who is concerned about long term survival of the US. The prison system can’t be blamed on Trump, even though he stands for all that is wrong with it.
    Welcome back

OSF

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Good post, Stan. Nice to meet you on the Flap. You’re spot on about both the Trumpeting elephant and the DEEP $tate even he derides…He sure doesn’t seem to like sharing power. Also, totally correct about cash cow elements there. Food is so bad that every inmate with any outside income (and thanks to ChiPower, family and a few others for helping me out with $ in the account so I could buy commissary supplemental food as well as non-institutional clothing and hygiene items. Problem with the comm. food is that supply is almost totally controlled by the Keefe Corp and its subsidiaries…also H.Q.ed in the St. Louis area. Interesting that Keefe is a proprietary llc of the Bu$h Crime Family. State of Maryland, for example, has given them total control over comm. for both prisons and jails. Even the rinkydink county lockup back in northern Mn. had Keefe stuff. It’s a virtual monopoly, nationwide…and it all belongs to the Bu$h Crime Family. Wonder how that happened. The sleeze and grease permeating the penological system in these Untied $kates of Amerikkka Corporation (duly incorporated under Delaware corp law in 1988 during the Raygunz/Daddy WarBu$h regime). Enough rant on this particular subject. My stay in stir I have come to regard as post-grad finishing school. It’s simply amazing what one can learn there from fellow victims of the Federal Law n’ Order racket. My low custody facility included doctors, professor, pastors, priests, pharmacists, multi-millionaires (unless they lost everything to the neat gimmick of asset forfeiture (much beloved by Kops everywhere across the fruited plain) and hafta slave for Unicor for basic needs at maybe 25c per hour…check out the 13th Amendment for details. That allegedly progressive amendment had to be acceptable to slave owners in Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri as well as to Indiana, Ohio and Illinois Copperhead Democrat congresscritters.

18. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Hey Fellas – I talked of setting-up a GoFundMe for Stix, to help him get a new Macbook, so he can get with his book writing endeavors. Done. If you are interested in participating, shoot me an email at chipower9@hotmail.com, and I will invite you to the GoFundMe. Target is $1000. I am starting it off with $100.

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 12:38 pm

Email, or phone number, if you prefer the invite via text.

19. Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 12:55 pm

Thanx, Snarkk. Haven’t done very much cooking here as I’m used to my (or my former) Griswold #10 self-basting skillet over a wood-fired cookstove. Can’t use anything like that on the electric device here, so my people kindly ordered up a copper-bottomed stanley steel skillet via Amazon, i believe. Have used it twice, but getting used to that and stove settings is a whole nother ballgame. So my omelettes tended to stick and leave egg-gruut clinging to the bottom which sponge thingies only were able to remove after considerable soaking. But at my request they nicely got me a copper scrubber to get down and dirty on the mess. Omelette was 3-egg w.
    sauteed spinach and green onion tops with a soupcon of basil, some cumin, turmeric, garlic powder and lottsa cheese. May need to cook for two tonight as Sis got teed off at hubby last evening for earphones on at his computer and not showing up at the table. Hoping he likes beef and bean burritos. Unfortunately, without that wood-cooker I can’t nicely brown the tortillas. Also a problem that I’ll hafta employ CANNED pintos rather that cook up a batch of dried ones, drain them and mash with my home-carved aspen moosher. They have a pretty well-stocked larder, though with suburbanite amenities rather than very many basics..adjustments..adjustments.

• sandog said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Good to have you back Stix! This post has me smiling from ear to ear.

I still crank out the Mashed Potatoes with Leeks recipe you shared with me on the regular. “StixWiz Potatoes” we call them in my house.

• alleykat69 said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:10 pm

Twin would be giving you 2 thumbs up 👍 👍for your creativity in the kitchen..

20. wilcojoe said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:02 pm

Welcome home Stix!

21. alleykat69 said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:05 pm

Omg welcome back Stix!!!
    I’m so glad you can rejoin the brotherhood of the Flap Nation!!
    You have been a special inspiration for all of us!!

22. Bozo said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Alright, Stix is back. I still say the Giants started their losing ways after those bastards shanghaied ya. So with you around, we’ve got that going for us if they ever start playing ball again.

23. Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:10 pm

Ah, August 2016, I remember it well. I was at my mom’s house in Black Butte. I remember thinking, “gosh, we haven’t heard from Stix lately.” As I often do, if I know your name, I googled you to see if I could find any info. WOW did I find some info! I sat there eyes wide open, jaw on floor, reading the account of what took place that fateful day. I dutifully reported back to the Flap what had happened and that we had a Flapper down. The last 4 years I’ve hoped you would return. Twinfan is gone forever Stix but I held out a 10% chance you would come back. AND TODAY YOU DID!
    I don’t know what’s up with the $48 things, sounds like you’re getting hoodwinked by WordPress on that one. Could be the deep state, I dunno….
    Contact them and tell them to kindly go fuck themselves and refund your $$$$. If that doesn’t work I know Chi might be starting a gofundme for you to get you back on your feet, take some out of that to make you whole again on that $48 wordpress stole from you.
    Anyway, welcome HOME! I have so many questions and I already asked you 5 of them on an old thread, maybe you could refer back to that and start there.

24. Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Stix I don’t understand most of the shit you’re posting about, even when I read it 2 or 3 times, but I love reading it again! Welcome back!

25. Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:33 pm

Wow, Flav! It’s sure great to be back on your labor of love. Thanks from all of us, I’m sure. It really has all the feeling of a true brotherhood…an extremely scarce commodity in this day and age. Yes, even though I’m not up “Nort” in my collapsing shack surrounded by cuddly pussies and with Macoujou patrolling the perimeters and keeping the Bam-Bam Bambies outta the gardens, the Flap sure feels like home to me.
    As soon as I can get copies made of the court transcript from my double-jeopardy return on a writ to Minnesota last year, I’m sending one to Xoot. (or any other attorneys posting on the blog). My address to the bench (and my “We The People” beloved friends in attendance) took up several pages in the official minutes and fully addressed all the specifics of the case from my point of view. Needles to say it will not be particularly objective, but the same applies to media accounts relying totally on the official POV from the alleged “authorities”. If my memory-glands have not sagged too much, Xoot (who did some heavy research on the case) pretty much alluded to my being railroaded. But the Fed$ are out to protect their own and just yesterday from my P.O. I learned that the conviction rates in Fed Di$trict Court$ are now at 99% and rising. So much for a free and fair jury trial by your peers. The Prosticutors speak for the United $tate$ of America Corporation against Joe Schmo and their M.O. is all about blackmail, bribery and coercion. So much for the sovereign power of We The People and Lincoln’s famous words from the Gettysburg Address: “Government of the people, by the people and for the people.” Nowadays its government of the prostiticians, by the Deep $tate bureaucrap$ and for the Gadzillionaires.

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:39 pm

what was prison like? Hit the high and low points.

• unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2020 at 1:48 pm

There’s not much to know. Boredom boredom and more boredom. The food sucks. The guards suck. Your fellow inmstes pretty much suck. It sucks. I only did 4 months in county. I can’t imagine 4 years in state.

There are no high points. Except the day you get out.

Don’t want to speak for you, Carstie, but this is just my $0.02.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:12 pm

For starters I didn’t get high the whole time I was down. You lose “good time” that way…the measly almost 15% you get off your sentence in lieu of anything even remotely resembling parole. Also, semi-random piss-testing gets you an all expenses paid sojourn in the SHU (special housing unit) where you get to wear a monkey suit, can access virtually no commissary foods so you hafta eat the “chow” which most chows and other breeds of canines would likely sneer at. Yes, its true. Most American dogs n’ pussies are fed far better that prisoners of the feds. But pisstesting does not work on “deuce” as they call it there…aka K-2 or “bath salts” first marketed in convenience stores et al as ‘synthetic marijuana’. Lately its frequently been laced with fentanyl and gawd knows what else. Ever watch a guy passed out in his cube and swimming in his own puke? Yeah, its all on the Fed$ as they still have cannabis down as a CLASS I NARCOTIC and being stuck in an objectively insane society a lotta folks simply hafta get high to cope. So they turn to shit like Deuce or to opioids. Distinctly recall a shakedown where we were all herded into one of the “activity” rooms and obliged to strip. One guy got caught with a stash of cash (BOP currency is $1 stamps, valued on the inside at 75c) and a package containing the big H. Likely 90% of the stuff comes in via the guards (aka “correction” officers).
        So are those highs…or lows? Gotta tell by the smell. Oh ya, reminds me of Thanxgiving day a couple years back when the crappers in my unit went on the fritz. Some guys continued to present their gifts to the warden right in the crockery. Someone brought in large plastic bags inside mop-buckets. I held off til the next day.

26. xoot said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:03 pm

I’m also interested in what’s happening in Minn. right now re George Floyd. After riots, etc., last weekend here in Oakland, things settled down. A strong, peaceful 15-thousand-person march a couple of days ago helped. It was organized by kids and most of the marchers were under 30. Those people won’t be voting republican. And I just received a message this morning from Alameda County informing me that our 8 pm curfew is over. CV19, though . . . . What a year.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:30 pm

Ah yes, the Minni-Apple as some called it back in the day. Who’d a thunk it? Did get to watch that massive tanker truck zoom on into the crowd of around 6,000 on the I-35 bridge over the Father of Waters. Driver slowed down, then hit the gas again, narrowly missing several people and running over a few bicycles. Guy got beaten by some in the crowd and then hauled off to a hospital, release later to police custody and then charges were dropped the next day. Hmmmmm…Seems like Bogdan was a fairly recently arrived immigrant from Ukraine and had served in the army there against the folks in the Donbass who did not like the fact that their lawfully elected government was overthrown by Galician mercenaries sponsored by the CIA and by Hillary”s undersecretary of state for Eastern European affairs. Seems some $5B in taxpayer $ went into that effort as well as mucho dinero from Georgie of the $oro$ and yet another of his NWO “color revolutions”.
      From the sources I have accessed the protests began locally and inter-racially. However, from accounts from Mpls & St. Paul Mayors and the Governor…citing police sources…80% of the trouble-makers came from outside Minnesota. There are fanatical groups from both left and right who are always looking for an incident which they can turn to their own ideologically based advantage. Some are trained in guerilla warfare tactics and some have close connexions to Deep $tate, and law n’ forcement orgs. A lot of organization, planning and funding went into the vandalism, etc. You Tube removed a video showing local cops, one named as Jacob Pederson of the St. Paul P.D., as contributing to the destructive actions.

• unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Wow, there’s a lot to unpack in that one, Stix! The story I heard was the police were blocking the highway for the protest but missed an onramp that the trucker used. He slowed down as soon as he realized what was going on.

Oh, the umbrella-man video is still out there, Stix. Pretty daming as the guy walks toward a bunch of bicycle cops off in the distance. 2 or 3 other protests had so-called umbrella men at them doing shit. I think 90% of the so-called Antifa movement is right-wing fanatics.

And funny thing is, the original ‘deep state’ referred to the military-industrial complex. The term was coined in the 70s I think.

27. zumiee said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Welcome back, Stix!!

28. Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:24 pm

Wow! Stix I could read your prison stories all day. So did you ever think you weren’t getting out? Or did you stay positive? And once Covid hit and you found out you were getting out, how rad was that? What was your first real meal once you escaped?

29. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Carstie – it is SO FUCKING COOL to see you posting here again, brother! I hope we can make life a bit more pleasant for you via the GoFundMe.

You mentioned this place like being a brotherhood. It is. I have met a number of Flappers in person, and finding this blog, and meeting all the regular knuckleheads that patrol this place has been a huge blessing to my life.

30. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Mike – thanks for the donation, brother.

31. Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:36 pm

Oh, oh. Just submitted a reply to Xoot’s request for whats been happening in Minnesota. Haven’t seen it yet. Could it have simply vanished into cyberspace? Maaaybe. Time will tell

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Okay. It showed up as I was posting at 2:36. Maybe the whole experience made me a bit paranoid. Muchos Apologios or whatever they say in Minorca.

32. Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:43 pm

I am going to put this in tomorrow’s main thread but here’s the link now if any of you want to get a head start on helping out our long lost friend

• xoot said, on June 4, 2020 at 2:59 pm

let’s get this man some good gear and some tech support!

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:03 pm

Fucking A! We’ll get Stix hooked-up.

33. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Here is the link to the GoFundMe for Stix. This way you do not need to email me or text me.

Not sure this will work but giving it a shot…

34. ptownlocal said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:14 pm

I remember Stix from the Splash as well as the Flap. Glad you’re out man.
    (I’m Chico, I just forgot my old throwaway email, password, etc, so I just created a new profile). I’d be happy to help once my wife gets home with my wallet.

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:16 pm

yes! Wives with the wallet, always the same story, amirite? I remember you well dude, you were a big Twinfan fan. Welcome back.

• ptownlocal said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:19 pm

She works for a UC and while instructed to work from home for the remainder of the year, she had to go in with my shit in the center console. Nice seeing you Flav! All of you.

I saw Xoot post the gofundme link on another forum and thought about getting off of the toxic FB for a bit.

• xoot said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:24 pm

man, you must live in some coastal paradise. I don’t even leave my reg and ins info in the center console.

• ptownlocal said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, good ole Pacifica. Some call it Paradise (great ocean views and natural air conditioning), and some call it Barstow by the sea (I concur with the latter lol). Between SMCO’s mask rules, which are good imo, and that hand sanitizer after leaving the market I left it in Subie.

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:27 pm

good move. Facebook is the fucking devil, man

35. Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:15 pm

This Stix gofundme is a fantastic idea and I hope we blow way past $1000 for our falsely imprisioned former hoosgow-ean. As I said, will post it in the main thread tomorrow but those reading today can get an early start with either of the links Chi or I posted.
    Look, things are pretty fucked up in the world these days. And Stix got fucked by our government and had 4 years of his life stolen away. Do something good today.
    Give what you can…..

36. Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:36 pm

Brothers! I am so heartened by all the wonderful verbal support….if only I couldda gotten those vibes while doing time. But that time did me a philosophical turn. Maybe I’ll even get quoted one of these years for this one: There’s two ways a person can do time: You can spend it or you can invest it. Never did imagine myself as a member of the “investor class”, but in that sense, maybe it fits.
    If you had to live through one of our long Minnesota winters you might find time to read the amazing philosophical and psychological insights by Freud’s early colleague, Carl Jung. He posited that there is no such thing as coincidence, that at a higher level everything and everyone is connected at a higher level than most of us can comprehend…or want to. He sets out his Law of Overloaded Coincidences, calling them congruences. Anyhow, I’d checked out one of my favorite sites: “Globalresearch.ca and the postings of Michel Chossudovsky. Leading in to today’s posting on the upper left of the site he cites a figure well known in the 60’s: “The media is the most powerful entity on earth. Because they control the minds of the masses, they have the power to make the innocent guilty and the guilty innocent, and that’s power…if you’re not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing.” -Malcom X

37. Flavor said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:42 pm

Might have told this story before. What the hell, we have a Carl Jung reference on the blog today so I’m retelling it:
    Back in the early 90’s Bob Fitzgerald was just getting his career going at KNBR. They called him “young bob” and one day he solicited the listeners for a better nickname. I called up KNBR as I used to do a lot back then and offered him “Carl Jung Bob”. There was a moment of radio silence before he said “I’m a man of the people Craig, that’s too intellectual” and he hung up on me……

• xoot said, on June 4, 2020 at 4:20 pm

You did post that before but it’s good.

38. snarkk said, on June 4, 2020 at 3:51 pm

Stix, I enjoyed your omelette story, sticky as it was.
    Don’t know if you’re new skillet can be seasoned, but might give it a shot with some decent cooking oil, just a light sheen rubbed onto the cooking surface and throw in an oven at about 225 for an hour or so; I’m sure you know the drill. You’ll get back into the swing of things in the kitchen, just let it happen. Good luck with the electric stove, but hell, you’ll adjust…

39. Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Onwards with the cooking: Beef & Bean burritos. Sis got nephew working with me on it. Excellent. Started with sauteeing onions with cumin,turmeric,cayenne…later basil, oregano & cilantro. green & red peppers in with the stew and the garlic, some canned jalapeno brine; then a tubefull of hamburger Neph warmed up in the microwave…also he ran the onion,peppers through some rapid-fire electrocutious device. Slicker than snakeshit. Could never use one up in the shack, though, as no running water or drainage in the old now falling apart kitchen. Also, no pintos to boil into mashibility so neph opened up a can of refrieds, one of whole pintos and one of black beans n’ smooshed the lot with a potato masher. Jumbo flour tortillas slowly getting slightly browned in a fry pan and then covered with a lid. Sour cream and shredded cheese await the results. Wish we had some tomatillos, though. Jeeze, forgot to mention a can of diced tomatoes, drained. Probly pretty much it. Simple, if you think about it and willing to take the time. So if you’re doing time (still, kinda, sorta) its more my speed to invest it than to spend it. Baseball and the occasional movie classic is about as much entertainment as I care to include.

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2020 at 5:07 pm

Goddamn.
      That, with a couple of frosty bottles of Pacifico, and I’m good…

40. Stan Shell said, on June 4, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Stix, with these posts I can see that you are not the dimmest light bulb on the tree. With no brain-numbing help how did you do it? All books? Any TV? What else?

OSF

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 4, 2020 at 6:45 pm

My 10th & llth grade German teacher, Fraulein Gross, had us all learn an adage from mostly German romantic thinkers from the early 19th Century. She fixed me up with it was either Goethe or Schiller, “das kann Ich nicht erwidern.” But I do recall the words. “Wer im lehrnen stille steht, wie ein Krebs der ruckwarts geht.” Roughly translated into English: ” Whoever stands still in learning goes backwards like the crab.” My fellow Minnesota northwoodser, Bob Dylan, did him one better: “He not busy being born is busy dying.” If memory holds, he came up with that one well before age 30. Dylan’s a channeler, likely from that long line of Jewish prophet-philosophers. Loving his voice, though, is an acquired taste, like for Guiness or an IPA. Yeah, my old shack may have held up to a couple thousand books, but I never let a boobtoob into the place…don’t have sufficient self-control to turn one off after having watched something useful or beautiful.

41. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 4, 2020 at 6:45 pm

Hey there Stix, just want to say hi from the other side of the world. Obviously, in case you can’t tell, Flappers in Flap Universe everywhere have missed you…. You are a true survivor. Welcome back.

42. willedav said, on June 4, 2020 at 7:34 pm

Hey Stix–wonder extent you have been able to keep up with news of the Giants. As flav mentioned a few threads ago, things are quite different from when you were last here. I hope this season does get played and baseball can return to every fan’s life and we all have chance to talk about it again.
    Enjoy burrito dinner sounds great!

43. zumiee said, on June 4, 2020 at 7:43 pm

“Dodgers Stadium was lit up for 8 minutes and 46 seconds Wednesday night.
    The MLB squad announced they turned on the lights at Chavez Ravine at 9 PM PT to stand in unity with “all Angelenos” who are outraged by Floyd’s tragic death.
    The 8 minutes and 46 seconds represent the same amount of time a Minneapolis cop had his knee on the neck of Floyd, before the 46-year-old ultimately passed away.”

44. alleykat69 said, on June 4, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Second wave of Coronavirus will be on its way as Vegas&Reno open back up!
    How do you constantly monitor the 4 C’s?
    That’s Cards,Chips,Cash&Cocktails

45. zumiee said, on June 4, 2020 at 7:56 pm

Very good eulogy from Rev. Al Sharpton at the memorial service today. It was a sermon really, and was very well constructed and very intense. It had a theme of African-Americans having 400 years of having a knee pressed on their neck. He connected it to the well-known passage in Ecclesiastes about time, and how it’s time for big change.