Do The Right Thing

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 5, 2020

Back in August of 2016 a great injustice was done. Neither rake nor hoe nor cleverly pointed finger was enough of a hint to a couple of idiot federal pilots to fly their little birdie elsewhere. So, stronger measures were taken. I’m not here to discuss the choices made that day–some good, some, eh, not so good. All I know is that 4 years of a Flapper’s life was taken from him. And it should have never happened….

Now that Stix has been released from the hoosgow he needs help in getting back on his feet. The AMAZING Chipower has set up a gofundme to help him buy a new laptop so he can continue writing a book and I might not know much but I know this: Stix was born to do at least 3 things in life. 1) find shit in the woods to whittle into incredible pieces of art 2) create some of the most amazing dishes a kitchen has ever seen 3) ….write words.

We are living in terrible times right now. Later today, my daughter and I will be marching with my fellow community members to bring attention to a very real injustice: unwarranted police brutality. The truth is, I don’t know how much these protests are really going to matter in the end. When they die down, we are likely going to be living with the same injustices. I’m not going to tell that to Katie. Right now I am just enjoying her unbridled passion.  Anyway, while we might not be able to change the world today you absolutely can change one person’s life RIGHT NOW.

Click on the link below. Give what you can. Someone’s gonna be the one to push this over $1000 today. Why not have it be you?

1. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2020 at 7:21 am

Thanks, Craig. This was the least I could do to help Carstie start getting his life back together. I know how much he loves to write, and he mentioned the need. We are at $955 in less than 24 hours! Thanks to all who have so generously donated.

Good luck at the protest. I admire all who are going out and marching/protesting for change.

2. Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 7:24 am

Well said.

3. Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 7:32 am

Boom. Time check: 7:31am. WillieD just put it over $1000. And I’m not certain but I think he’s been recently laid off. Incredible. Let’s keep it going!

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2020 at 7:43 am

Yes…just got a notice that we crested $1k. Awesome. I truly do appreciate everyone’s generosity. This is an amazing group that shows that they truly care about one another. Folks are walking the walk.

4. willedav said, on June 5, 2020 at 7:44 am

story on nbc sports said A’s Prez Dave Kaval are looking for further discount on rent due to fact that fewer home games will be played…apparently it’s a legal “out” for them just like rent payment if Coliseum is not in use. Still…

Interesting story I read last night on F/G about owners 50 game proposal. They are not a unified group and there is kinda of over/under amount of games where some teams are lot better off than others, based on some different economic factors. going later into calendar for 114 games was deal breaker because TV playoff money is big winner for everyone and they didn’t want to mess that up. good read if a little complicated to sort out.

5. willedav said, on June 5, 2020 at 7:53 am

Flav thanks for link to Pawlie’s “taking a knee” post, that was a really good one, full of interesting stuff. He mentions “The Fire Next Time” by James Baldwin. I read a lot of his stuff in high school, and went back and re read couple of his novels…good stuff and I find I have different perspective on him (and others) now than before.

6. zumiee said, on June 5, 2020 at 7:56 am

My local Barnes and Noble has reopened, with reduced hours, and I gave it a visit yesterday.
    There were about 4 customers in there while I was there. Bookstores were struggling before Covid-19, so I don’t know that they’re going to survive all of this.

7. wilcojoe said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:11 am

When I was in college at UT in Austin, I literally spent more time sleeping in the local Barnes & Nobles than I did in my dorm room. I worked at a little coffee shop next door and would sleep in those big ass, comfy chairs before my shift started.

I went into a B&N recently for the first time since college and as soon as I walked thru those doors, that familiar smell of new books and magazines hit me and those great memories of my college years came flooding back.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:36 am

The big comfy chairs are gone now, though. They got tired of people sleeping in them. 🙂

• xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 10:45 am

Back in the olden days, the Bookshop Santa Cruz had many good chairs and a huge waterbed in the middle of the store. I can’t wait to get back to City Lights in SF and Moe’s here on Telegraph Ave.

8. Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:20 am

Wow!! Totally blown away by the incredible generosity. Much thanks to everyone and especially to ChiPower for getting the ball in play…Or as George Burns might have said: “Amazing, Grace.”
    Meanwhile back to a whole nother side of reality. Just arrived on the Flap after checking in with my now favorite news & insights site: Global Research.ca. They featured a piece on the Department of Justice now looking into the multiple reports that the looters & such glomming onto legitimate and righteous protests and using them as cover to do their dirty deeds on behalf of their own agendas. In New York City a Chelsea neighborhood woman named Carla Murphy had this to say: “Cars would drive up, let off the looters, unload power tools and suitcases, then drive away.” Later, the cars would return back to pick up the “team” and then head off for another location. “They seemed to know exactly where they were going. Some of them seemed to be locals but a lot were out of towners.”
    Frankly, my dears, I do not expect much positive coming outta the DOJ, as I do happen to have had a bit of a history with them. Coverup or shifting the blame to some convenient patsies is more their style. Believe you me, in numerous talks with individuals taken down by the oxymoronically named department, they do not exist to serve and protect WE THE PEOPLE. Their agendas are determined for them by people much higher up the scrotum-pole.
    Incidentally, as I may have mentioned yesterday, similar reports to those drawn from Ms Murphy, have surfaced from cities all across the fruited plain, from Kansas City, Chicago, Vegas, L.A. and, of course, Minneapolis, some 15 miles from the 4th tier suburb where I am right now. -Stix

9. Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:36 am

When and if the season gets rolling, one of the more ironic factors may be the effect it might have on our favorite whipping boyz, The LaBumbos. Sure and they loaded up with some of the best talent Guggenheimer bigbux could buy, with the icing on the cake being Mookie Betts. Now, many of the bets are off on their planned road to glory. The season is already diminished and if a World Series is played it will not be the 162 game grind, followed by who knows what could happen in the NL playoff games. Any success by LA may and should be capped with an asterisk*

Those Bums, having deserted Flatbush, Brooklyn in ’58, though tearing up the NL West for years, only hafta look up the coast and get galled that Los Gigantes de San Francisco positively OWNED the Twenty-Teens with a trio of Big Flags. It’s been since ’88 that LA could brag and some still believe that Kirk Gibson’s magical dinger may have come about due to some Vegas magic. But who the hell knows for sure. What we do know is that LA is jonesing for a World Championship and every time their beady little eyes glance up northwards, they green up with envy.

• xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 9:41 am

In San Leandro, a town nextdoor to Oakland, a squad of looters hit a Dodge dealership and took off with something like seventy new cars. No shit.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 10:11 am

Organization, organization, organization + location, location and location. All inspired by the lady who exclaimed “A rose is a rose is a rose” and referrent to an undisclosed location (an excellent description for contemporary suburbia and more precisely delineated as exurbia) in her inimitable irreverence as “there’s no there there”. Could be she was channeling via Alice’s brownies.

• xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 10:38 am

You want to read a good novel about contemporary Indigenous People in the USA, check out “There There,” by Tommy Orange. It’s set mainly in Oakland, with a vast range beyond. google it up; you’ll be hooked. He offers due respect to the great Ms. Stein.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2020 at 10:58 am

I read “There There.” I agree it’s a really good book.

10. willedav said, on June 5, 2020 at 9:05 am

jazz station I listen to is rebroadcasting interview with Joel Selvin from 2006 where he gets to pick 8-10 tracks from “Desert Island” favs. http://www.kcsm.org

11. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2020 at 9:13 am

Stix is on fire!!!

12. xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 9:38 am

Oh, yeah! Let’s do some good. Good day to play two (thousand).
    And always support the kids. Least we can do. They’ll help flip the WH and senate in Nov. and then they’ll go on to save the damn planet. Now if they could just get baseball going.

13. Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 10:02 am

Thanx, Craig, for your finale’ posting last night for reconnexion with Pawlie Kokonuts’ delightful wordsmithery. After i get off probation I’d be up for taking him on in a keyboard mano a mano takeoff on a poetry-slam. Granted, many would not find such duelistic do-do all that entertaining and will also grant that it sure could not match up with the 1991 7th game World Series nailbiter between Los Bravos, once of Baahstin, then of old Milwaukee and more recently sporting Hotlanta versus Jack Morris, Kirby Puckett and the cream of wheaties-filled Twinkies of my native Manysnowta. Watched the replay last night on “baseball classic”. How would I be able to access videographic delights from Octobers of 2010,2012 and 2014? With no flatscreen or even round one at my old shack those days, my reliance was on internet coverage via Yahoo along with commentary on 1FD77.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2020 at 11:03 am

There’s lots of great Giants playoff stuff on YouTube, including entire games.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 11:56 am

Thanx,Zumiee. Haven’t entered YouTube space yet. Sis Amazoned me a pair of construction/gardening kneepads…apparently not directed at appearances before ring-wearers. Took em for a test-kneel digging up grasses invading the Hostas, evidently with hostile intent…also getting down on crushed rock in perimeter planting areas, pulling weeds and rearranging the stones. Man, that’s some way to get stoned…kneepads n’ jeans, barefooted and barebacked. Gotta get soles n’ heels reconditioned…also a bit of color. It’s all good, but this 80+ degree sunny day takes some getting used to after my long ‘vacation’.

14. willedav said, on June 5, 2020 at 11:39 am

Read story from Mets guy Andy martino (www.sny.tv/mets) linked via MLBTR. His quote on current negotiations: “The educated guess from one trusted source is that the final deal will call for 65-80 games with a small cut from the full pro-rated salary but a suspension of the competitive balance tax and the qualifying offer.”
    Also in separate story Texas Gov announced fans could be allowed at Rangers/Astros games up to 25-50%. Wonder if other states no longer locked down by July could allow fans in yards too, if baseball is being played

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 11:58 am

Seems it’ll happen on a governor by governor basis. N.Y., Mass. n’ Michigan may be the big ifs.

15. alleykat69 said, on June 5, 2020 at 12:30 pm

It’s really hard for me to relate to KBO baseball when you have spongebob and all kinds of stuffed animals 🧸 behind home plate in place of “REAL FANS”!!

16. Winder said, on June 5, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Stix- Thanks for the tip on Global research.ca, didn’t know it existed.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Another site I re-discovered today is The Saker. His take seems level-headed, insightful, incisive and best of all he does not seem to be stuck in the faked-up right/left ideological dichotomies. There are quite a few sites out there who strike my interest initially but in further analysis appear to be limited hangouts for those who wish to roil the waters and keep WE THE PEOPLE divided into the red-state v. blue-state silly shit…all caught up (and hung up) on hot-button issues which in the long view really do not matter in the face of our metastasizing dystopia.

• Winder said, on June 5, 2020 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, after spending quite a bit of time on both far left and far right sites it doesn’t take long to recognize. At this point I am not sure that i am even capable of total rational thought or even a short amount of clearheadedness.

17. Winder said, on June 5, 2020 at 1:03 pm

xoot- you are so right about the young people saving this country. Our generations greed, anger. and narrow minded thinking just hasn’t worked. Pink Floyd had it right with ‘comfortably numb.’

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Winder: It was like somebody let the air outta America’s tires when we devolved into the Shady Eighties. A good many of the Boomers and even some of us more engaged WarBabies micro-generation decided they could not stay “dropped-out” of corporate/consumer society and dutifully cut hair and beards, ditched the beads and sandals, got married, then divorced and re-married and went for the white picket fence in the burbs.

Topping it off was when newly inaugurated Raygunz received a leaden demonstration from Hinkley, whose father the night before had been dining with one of the Bu$h clan. Ronnie got the message and did his two terms as officially acting president, while Daddy WarBu$h called the shots from behind the scenes as he did in Dallas and for the Agency’s Bay of Pigs op which JFK essentially aborted. Two of the five ships bringing in the Cuban contras were retired US Navy vessels which received new paint jobs and were re”christened” The Barbara (no explanation needed) and the Zapata (name of the Agency’s Texas oil-company front which was headed up by George Herbert Walker Bu$h.) Oh yes, and rock n’ roll classics kinda faded away into the sunset,,archetypically symbolizing the demise of the counter-culture,

• Winder said, on June 5, 2020 at 2:26 pm

stix- there is a whole lot about big money that I just don’t know. It has been obvious there were Presidents who were nothing but straw men. Current leader is one of them.

18. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2020 at 1:43 pm

All the social reforms of the 60s and 70s were undone by Ronnie Reagan in the goal of the arms race in the 80s. Disenfranchising the poor, vets, and otherwise, bad-mouthing immigrants, the abortion frenzy all started there and has been rolling ever since. The rhetoric is just getting louder and more obvious from the right.

19. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2020 at 1:50 pm

The Dems should never lose any elections based upon the country’s makeup. But they manage to shoot themselves in the feet repeatedly. Their best candidate, Al Franken, was gleefully waylaid his own party. The republicans? Oh, you have been cited for stalking underage girls at the mall? No Prob! Come on down! Moore almost won his senate race for fuck’s sake.

Well, there’s my new band name. Metastasizing Dystopia!

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Unca: Yeah, it does bear a certain je ne sais quoi for a cutting-edge crew. Now if it came to Heavy Metal, my telepathic puss-department back at the shack hit me one time with their take on humanity: “Monkey with Fire”…kinda multidimensionally edgy.

20. xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 2:11 pm

There are more registered democrats than registered republicans in Kentucky. 1.6M+ vs. 1.4M+. Some 300,000 are “other,” or “indep,” or “green” or “libertarian” or “wild-ass hillbilly” (my kin). McConnell knows how to buy votes.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Both McConnell and Lindsay Graham are poster-boys as blackmailees due to their peckerdildoes

• xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 3:40 pm

there’s a pretty good punk band from Las Vegas called the Peccadilloes

21. Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 3:32 pm

currently got Stix up to a stimulus check +$5

22. Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Stix what happened to your property?

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:38 pm

Flav: Wonderful sis has paid up property tax. Friends safekeeping a lot of my stuff. Kitchen in a state of collapse. Main roof needs replacement. Both people and animals have accessed it. May go to tears when I see it sometime later this year. Considering building a partly solar semi-earth shelter home for the cooler months. A friend is an architect. First crop planted in spring of ’74 was 500 norway pines. They’re 50 year old stock now. So one materials cost would be for sawmilling, planing and kiln-drying. Gathered a lot of flat rocks over the years. Have a mass of old windows.

Am planning on producing two adult coloring books based on the New World Cosmographic Alphabet I’ve been channeling and developing since ’76.One is The Cosmographic States of America. Other is tribal names, placenames of Turtle Island, this continent which got named after some Italian dude who never set foot here. Alphabet is a transliteration into symbols from our day to day American English version of the Latin alphabet. Example: A is a pictographic teepee with smoke coming out the top. Its shaped like our capital “A”. Aesthetically, many have found it fascinating and pleasing.Should be able to raise some funds that way and also in a new decorative art form i call “Squiggles” done at the holding center in Sure Burn county under the U$ Mar$hal$. Designs for skateboards, long-boards, festival clothing, etc. Very colorful. Somewhat unique. Will need to find a merchandising firm to make the contacts in various industries. So a decent computer will be most useful for the constant communications for those projects plus setting up a website and developing links in the art market for my carvings in Trans-Abstract Realism. Good nutrition, a real bed and a loving household currently, should help me restore health to the energy level I’m gonna need for all that. Will give the
      Beatles the last word: “You get by with a little help from your friends”. Thanks for the boost Flappers. And thank you, Flav, for developing and maintaining this amazing brotherhood.

23. xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 3:48 pm

Okay. I’ll quit after this. I believe this was recorded at a home in Redwood City earlier this year.

• willedav said, on June 5, 2020 at 4:17 pm

yeah! love this one. buddy of mine does photography for Greaseland

• xoot said, on June 5, 2020 at 5:02 pm

hell yeah. You told me about this when we were discussing Charlie Musselwhite’s back up band. I think that’s Kid Andersen on guitar.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:59 pm

You done did dood it Dude! Man, the coinkydinks just keep on rolling over not only Beethoven but also Carl Jung in sweet repose. Congruences are boiling over in my life today. Greaseland Blues. If there are any of those 1999 model cosmographic “BLUUZ” teeshirts left up in the loft at Magnusheim, you just earned yourself one with this one, Xoot.

Before the down, I took in five Fargo (for Moorhead) Blues Festivals, even getting closeup views of Delta blues keyboarder gent Pinetop Perkins who’d been at it since 1924. Also drove 50 miles to the Red Lake Band of Ojibway Seven Clans Casino parking lot outdoors one-evening extravaganza featuring Bo Diddly rockin the bluuz. Sitting in my lawnchair and whittling a new diamond-willow walking stick…Music got into my blood and had ta get up and walk away from the rest of the seating, carrying the stick with me. Next thing I knew Bo Diddly’s vibes got me so far down the Bluuzroad that I started fast-dancing with that stick. Never done that before in this lifetime. Totally surreal. We were INSIDE THE MUSIc. So I sure hope my friends took good care of the BO DIDDLY DANCING STICK. It was one of his last performances. Read his obit in the NYT only a few months later. Bo Diddly’s spirit lives on in that humble piece of one of the rarest woods on Turtle Island.

24. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Blame it on the middle class!

25. Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 6:23 pm

this may be the best 2 min video I’ve ever seen excluding Kentucky Derby races and porn.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Who luvs ya, Baby? …

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 6:32 pm

his casual roll over to finish the game that had confounded her was solid gold I don’t think I’ve ever come across….

26. Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:16 pm

i had to go find the rest of this. There really isn’t anything more here but goddamn this is just incredible.

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Effin’ hilarious! Accordnig to Wiki, Savales’ version of If reached #1 on the UK singles chart for two weeks in March 1975.

And here’s a parody version — a parody of a parody?

27. Flavor said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:21 pm

this one from Germany is even better. Where has all the best comedy gone?

28. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Singing?

29. alleykat69 said, on June 5, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Hey Flavor you might have opened up a can of worms with Zumie!
    Telly Savalas also sung a Beatles song “Something in the way she moves attracts me like no other lover”in 1974 on a album on YouTube!!

30. snarkk said, on June 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm

I read the Telly Savalas life story on Wiki.
    Dude led a very interesting life. He was good in both Dirty Dozen and Kelly’s Heroes.
    Best remembered in Kojak, of course. I watched that all the time, I thought it was a good show in those days…

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2020 at 10:13 pm

Don’t forget the George Lazenby Bond flick On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. I read the Wiki info too. Flav might be interested in this:

“He loved horse racing and bought a racehorse with movie director and producer Howard W. Koch. Naming the horse Telly’s Pop, it won several races in 1975 including the Norfolk Stakes and Del Mar Futurity.”

31. willedav said, on June 6, 2020 at 7:15 am

The A’s did reverse their stance on paying minor leaguers, btw. Another example, belated and having to be shamed into it if it may be, of doing right thing.
    Story on MLBTR with reference to something written in Athletic By Ken Rosenthal and others about having a real 30 team Fall League for prospects starting this season. Before this was done by only 6 teams and different orgs would send players to fill out a roster. Giants will have 7 picks this year in next week draft; be great if they (and other prospects) had somewhere to play.