A+ Pick

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 11, 2020

I’m all over the Pat Bailey pick. This isn’t the NFL where you draft for immediate need. This guy was the best available player on the draft board. They took him. Last year they drafted almost entirely hitters and they did that because it was obvious our system was limp with bats. If Z and his talent scouts say this guy can hit then I’m standing behind them.

Billy Beane always said you can’t have enough catchers. Z carried that philosophy with him to LA and he’s clearly focused on that in now in SF, too.

I’m not that worried about this perceived need for pitching. The way the game is going towards openers and piggy backers and whatnot Z probably thinks he can find pitching on the free agent market. And you know what? He probably can. Pitchers are cool with coming to SF, hitters aren’t. So you draft hitters and sign pitchers.

It’s actually a brilliant approach and one I’ve hoped they would take for many, many years now…..

1. wilcojoe said, on June 11, 2020 at 6:34 am

Agreed. No problem with the pick. They also Cary high value as trade chips. Remember when we traded catching phenom Tommy Joseph for Hunter Pence? I would say that turned out pretty well.

2. chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 6:50 am

I am down with the pick. Until Z’s method falls flat on its face, I am going to trust him and his staff to rebuild the team. The only knock I read was that he has a high K rate.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:17 am

high K rate is a standard stat to own for today’s studs. I wouldn’t worry much about it and he will be receiving coaching and development

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:40 am

Agree. Just an observation and one of the few knocks that various analysis sources pointed-out…

3. willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:41 am

Well on paper drafting only hitting sounds good. However, quite a lot of Giants success revolved around drafting Lincecum Cain and Bum. while they were great at acquiring other pieces especially in pen like Affeldt Romo Casilla Lopez Watson and Smith, I haven’t seen anyone near that quality brought in lately. Once Smrdz Cueto and Watson are gone, there are lot of holes to fill. Good ones on a level way above Gausman and Smyly are going to be expensive to try and acquire.

I’ll never waiver from belief good pitching ultimately triumphs over good hitting. The Red Sox year before wiped out best hitting teams of AL (Yanks) and NL (Dodgers) on their way to WS championship. Dodgers vaunted pitching fell apart on them year before that and Charlie Morton sent them packing. The 2019 WS Champion Nats had superior rotation to anyone, and won it all as wild card team knocking off favorites including LA.

Btw juice ball era and with fences moved in now at the O, stopping bomb throwers becomes even more important than being able to hit them, imo. What happened to teams like Twins and A’s in playoffs only confirms that for me. And of course success of NL Central division winning Cardinals last year, a team that didn’t have power but had great pitching and won their very competitive division. that to me represents better blueprint.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:46 am

buy the pitching, draft the hitting. Good hitters don’t want to come here, they never have.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:50 am

Minus the attenuated season this could have become Webb’s year to rise to at least two or three status in the rotation. Beede may have a few more issues, but the minor-league record suggests he’s rotation quality. Guys like Hjelle seem to be fast-tracking it. Enough talent lower in the pipeline to indicate three or four homegrowns should shoulder the staff by 2022. Add one significant starter pickup and SF could be very competitive in a couple years of development.

4. Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:44 am

Good take, Flav. Sound reasoning throughout.. Broadly talented catchers, along with shortstops who can both field and hit are the rarest commodities in MLB. Three, maybe two years of development and Bailey should be ready for the Show.

5. willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:04 am

Given Beane said that, OK, but if you look at his teams lately C has been one of A’s glaring weaknesses—Lucroy Maxwell Phegley none of them can hit…he even added Hundley in last year and poor guy was injured and awful. they do have a kid Murphy they gave 53 ABs to last year, but he was drafted way back in 2016. They have AS on IF and power in OF. Their C suck.

Bart is to be next 1b? um, giants already have Belt under contract and appear to be willing to allow that to continue through 2021. Plus Sandoval and newly signed Flores as RH back ups already on roster. If Bart is to stay on ML roster for 2020, a great idea imo, seems he mostly Cs 2-3 times a week as strictly backup to Posey who Kapler said is his guy at that spot. Just don’t see Bart getting much action over there and once a week isn’t any way to learn to play it. And of course no chance to do it in minors either.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:28 am

injuries and general decline of older players have a way of working itself out when it comes to finding spots for young studs. This is a lost year for development so Bart probably needs most/all of 2021 in minor leagues. Belt can fill the gap next year and then, finally, they cut ties with him. You have no idea how happy that day will make me.

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:39 am

Agree that Bart should just be the backup to Posey if they play.Even in 80-whatever games he would get in atleast half with DH possible games.I just have this gut feeling that Z has no confidence in Garcia who will just stay in Sacramento for emergency call up..

Since Beane drafted the pride of Turlock Steve Soderstrom who’s also a switch hitting Catcher it will be easy to follow him,Bailey’s development going forward.Giants obviously liked Bailey’s overall game better and Soderstrom fell pretty far down draft boards to the A’s.But time will tell..

Steal of the Draft..Toronto getting the best pure hitter in the draft Austin Martin SS/OF
      Man have they assembled some young stud position players going forward with Guerrero,Bichette,Biggio,now Martin and I believe a couple young hotshot outfielders as well. Get some more pitching and watch out for that team..

6. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:21 am

I like what’s in the pipeline and they’re not far off in Seth Corry&Sean Hejelle (sp?) they both have great stuff.Add in Beede,Webb,Gausman,Smifly it’s a start of a good rotation that just need games under they’re belts..
    Another bonus about Patrick Bailey
    Did you guys know he called all the pitches for his pitchers at NCS, that is very rare.So obviously he had the confidence of the manager to call a good game.Giants picked a winner here I believe and I love the idea of a switch hitting catcher you can use in crucial PH situations are double switches..

7. Paul Yesser said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:31 am

Patrick Bailey was chosen because he was a friend of Michael Holmes ( Director of Amateur Scouting) Patrick Bailey and live only miles apart in North Carolina. The decision to draft Bailey was made a year ago to help his young friend and had nothing to do with being the best available player. He is NOT the best choice or catcher. Oakland got the best and most versatile catcher. PITCHING is the name of the game.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:39 am

yeah, sounds reasonable. The Giants would risk the entire direction of the franchise so that the director of amateur scouting could help out “his young friend.”

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:44 am

Hmmm….from political conspiracy theories to baseball conspiracy theories.

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:50 am

That’s FOS.No way the director of player scouting would have a final call on a young friend of his down the street and make it a year in advance? Uhh OK
      It’s a collective decision between everyone in the organization especially Zman making the final call when all they’re data is in place, then they pull the trigger..

• Winder said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:52 am

Those A’s fans are a funny lot at times.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:52 am

lol. Come on man, Anne Wojcicki lives down the street from me, I hear she’s about to make the call to put me in charge of 23 and Me

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:55 am

lulz! ask her if I can re-do my test for free. I can’t believe the results.

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:53 am

The fact that Holmes was able to watch Bailey in HS, before Bailey moved on to college, may further support the selection, but it doesn’t support a first-round “favor” theory. This is not Lasorda tossing Piazza a bone in the 62nd round. The Bailey story sort of reminds me of that scout who for years, from HS on, touted Matt Williams to the FO and got all kind of shit for it until Al Rosen took over. A scout’s long familiarity with a young player should be a good thing.

8. Winder said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:33 am

They had Bailey as the best player on the board at 13 so in that instance it does make sense to take him. No matter what anyone really thinks of him we don’t know if he can handle pro pitching or be a good game manager on the field. We shall see. As I see it the odds are in our favor that he will be able to handle both.

• Winder said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:42 am

Four catchers were taken in the first 35 picks. It is a highly valued position.

9. Winder said, on June 11, 2020 at 10:20 am

I usually don’t get excited over the draft after the first pick but since it’s the only game in town I will be on the edge of my seat for the next 6 picks.

10. blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 10:47 am

Hey guys . . . dropped by yesterday and was a bit shocked at how negative the comments were in regard to Z’s draft. Two, things, these picks often as not become trade picks and likewise, you draft the best available player, especially if what’s left is flotsam. Flavor also touched on these points, i.e., I was relieved to see Flavor’s thread opening, as well as his comment below:

“Buy the pitching, draft the hitting. Good hitters don’t want to come here, they never have.”

I hope all is well here. Chi told me Stix was back . . . Welcome back Stix!!!! I have one bar on my cell phone in Pollock Pines and mediocre WiFi, although it still allows me to watch videos. Coupled with the aforementioned, I have been too busy to tell people how busy I am (grin), with the biggest issue trying to get an electrician to come out here and hardwire my generator to the electrical panel with a transfer switch. Right now, I have to run an extension cord through a bathroom window. I am also thinking seriously about contacting my Congressman or the Public Utility Commission about AT&T, as they will not take new customers for landline telephone services (even though my neighbors have this service). Grrrr . . . Otherwise, I am enjoying my new house and even all the work I am doing setting up services; hemorrhaging money visiting big box stores; and going back eventually (when this shit slows down) to Colorado to pick up my belongings at a storage unit I am renting.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:06 am

so what’s the plan for improving the wifi? Is that even doable out there?

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:52 am

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:54 am

No plan Flav. I am contracted with HughesNet, which has about 25 MBPS download speeds. It’s adequate.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:19 am

Blade, ol buddy. Good to hear from you. Having been unavoidably detained for past nearly 4 years, I’ve been a bit outta touch on all the moving and shaking. So where’s Pollock Pines..Cali? All the best. Stix

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:25 am

Stix – Pollock Pines is about 10 miles or so east of me (Placerville – Old Hangtown). So, Blade and I are now “neighbors.”

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:42 am

Stix…Yeah Chi&Blade are in a sliver of God’s country as far as beautiful lakes(Ice house,Union Valley,Loon,Stumpy Meadows which drops you by a cool bar called Uncle Tom’s Cabin off a side dirt road between Union& Loon and Jenkinson) camping 🏕 and Placerville a great gold mining town with cool bars, restaurants etc!!
        Btw Blade..Pictures of your Cabin are awesome 👏 you scored a nice setup once you iron out some needed upgrades ( WiFi yeah spotty in the mountains at times, but that’s what some folks don’t mind 😂

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:56 am

AK, I am about a one mile from Jenkinson lake.

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:59 am

Good to hear from you Carstie as well! I love my new home AK, but the WiFi is okay. Not being able to call anyone is the issue. I have filed my complaint with the State of California Department of Justice, Utility Consumer Commission. Hopefully, they can help. If I have a fire or other emergency (medical), I am screwed.

• willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:23 pm

good luck getting set up! good to have you back in our great state, moves are always stressful…sounds like nice area.

11. chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:26 am

Carstie – yesterday I initiated withdrawing the money from the GoFundMe. I will get about $1550 of the $1605 (due to their fees). Moving the money takes a couple of days. When the money hits my account, I will get a money order and get that in the mail to you. I will give you a call to get your sis’s address, etc.

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Chi, add $55 from me, so you can send the entire amount. I will pay you back when we get together.

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:53 pm

Will do, Steve.

12. Bozo said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:32 am

I like that the Giants are sticking to drafting college positions players. With a shorten 2020 college season, having a scout, oops, having a talent assessor that has a history with a kid is a not only a good way to go but a smart move at that. Bailey was on the NC team with Will Wilson, our Zack Cozart contract kid, so there was more inside scoop on Bailey from that angle as well, if the Giants needed it. Bailey is supposed to already have really good tools defensively and looks to have some pop at the plate for that position. Also, having a switch hitting catcher worked out pretty well for SF with the Panda.
    Basically, it sounds like the kid could be an above average catcher which would be great if the plan is to move Joey Bart to a corner/power position. If moving Bart to another position isn’t the plan then I think we’ll see the kid go as part of a trade package before he ever puts on a SF uni.

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:54 pm

Agree on all fronts.

13. zumiee said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:07 pm

That was a good point someone made yesterday about the Giants trading minor league catcher Tommy Joseph to the Phillies for Hunter Pence.

• Bozo said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:16 pm

I agree, that was a good point and if it ends up that they trade Bailey for someone who fills a different need, I have no problems with that.

14. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Blade…I know this would be a inconvenience but maybe you can go old school like Oliver from Green Acres who had his handyman EB run a line up a pine tree for your calls and possible better reception…📞🌲

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Oh man, I love Green Acres.

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:36 pm

lol

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:53 pm

And if you need any roof repairs Blade, Lisa is your girl!
        She would make Oliver a plate of rock hard pancakes 🥞
        and she would be bewildered that he liked her cooking,
        He says oh I don’t really, I use them for shingles on the roof…🤣

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:16 pm

Green Acres, Gilligan’s Island, Petticoat Junction.
        It’s a wonder I escaped my youth with some functioning brain cells…

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:16 pm

As long as I don’t have to climb the frickin’ pole to answer/make calls.

15. sandog said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:22 pm

Blade—you off Sly Park Rd? Pretty spot. Used to do some camping back in the day right there.

16. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Ok so I’m going out on a limb the Giants won’t draft another catcher.
    6 picks left including back to back 67-68 courtesy of Bum&Smith.
    6 outfielders would make Snarkk happy 😃, but that won’t happen..
    So I’m going with 3 pitchers 2 outfielders and a 3rd basemen,anybody else want to guess?

17. blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:34 pm

Willie, I don’t know if you fish, but give me about 2 months to get settled and you or anyone else are welcome to come visit and go fishing, hiking or whatever. I don’t drink, but just tell me your favorite beverage and it will be stocked in the refrigerator.

The house is large. Over 1800 square feet, two nice size decks, and like I said, any Flapper is welcome to visit, spend a night or two: and/or we can meet in Placerville with Chi and get something to eat/drink.

Yes, San Dog . . . exactly. Sly Park road is the main street so to speak for Pollock Pines.

• willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 1:41 pm

ah thanks so much. Let me see how work unfolds; still up in the air right now. Whether I can coach basketball too, if gyms will be available.

18. willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:39 pm

14 pitchers taken yesterday…I wish Giants had one. The Giants pitching just seems far behind the bats in terms of young guys on roster now thanks to Z (Yaz Davis dick Dubon) and the prospects.

The Padres hit 219 HRs last year, finished dead last in division and traded away couple 30 HR bombers in Renfroe and Reyes. they had 6-7 young SPs make at least a dozen starts and all except 1 couldn’t get ERA below 4.00. So they are still year or 2 away from being good but WAY ahead of Giants. Only Webb got serious action last year, with an ERA over 5.00–some good outings but also sometimes got raked.

Lack of pitching depth is what will doom Giants trying to catch up with rest of division, imo…lot of chances to address some of that today!

19. willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 12:44 pm

where is Giants equivalent of a Lincecum Cain or Bumgarner right now? who do they have that can emerge to duel guys like Dodgers Buehler or Padres Paddack…and both those teams have more in the pipeline.

20. Winder said, on June 11, 2020 at 1:33 pm

I would like to see us pickup 4 pitchers today and if they go all six that’s ok too.

21. gianthead said, on June 11, 2020 at 1:34 pm

Isnt the review that Bailey is more of a defensive minded catcher? My only concern is does this mean there is a question about Bart’s catching??? Which is just fine to then make him as much as a threat as possible with the bat and dont degrade his physical skills by having him get beat up behind the plate…

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 1:40 pm

From all I have read, Bailey is noted as being a good receiver/caller of games, but has some pop, too. He has had a high K rate in the past, but that is something they can work on.

I don’t think this has anything to do with Bart’s way forward in the org, but more that Z said they were going to take the best player available, and Bailey was that guy. Down the road, he may be a trade chip, too, if they are set at C.

22. zumiee said, on June 11, 2020 at 1:44 pm

The new paradigm is to have two good-hitting catchers. The days of Whiteside-type back-up catchers is over. Also the days of the starting catcher getting the vast majority of the starts is over. The new GMs don’t believe in it. If it looks like catchers get more beat-up by foul balls nowadays, that’s because it’s what is happening. Batters have gotten better at fouling off tough pitches and extending ABs. More batters are grinders at the plate these days, and catchers are paying the physical price.

23. snarkk said, on June 11, 2020 at 1:54 pm

I still don’t like the catcher pick. Like I said yesterday, and blade says above, maybe this is acquiring a talent for future trade bait. That, i can sort of get on board with. The only other reason IMO is that they want to put Bart at 1B eventually, or use him as a DH when that comes, and not squander his power skills to the catcher physical beat down syndrome that Posey has suffered. I’m hoping for another OFer or two today, but I do think maybe they are focusing in future on sourcing the international talent pool to draft for OFers…

24. xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:00 pm

Live professional sports events are back! I turned on espn2 for the draft just in time to catch the tail end of the Professional Cornhole Championship. Johnsonville Sausage sponsors the Cornhole events, apparently. espn never fails.

Two good catchers (esp. if both are pre-arb) makes sense, especially if the DH is headed down the track at us, blowing its frightful whistle. Buster and Vogt gave us something of a preview.

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Nothing like a good corn hole unless your dry humping without the corn 🌾 to wipe your butt.Heard that popular out in Nebraska for they’re version of a field dump..💩

25. snarkk said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:06 pm

I heard on KNBR that 2 of the 37 kids selected yesterday were African American.
    That is sad. Baseball’s “Golden Age” of the ’60s was when black players played a substantial role in the sport, generating super stars and legendary HOFers and the most exciting baseball ever. I don’t see anything changing in the foreseeble future that will change this situation. Great black athletes end up in football and basketball, even though in football you get your head bashed in, and with far less security than baseball. Maybe the main problem is the long time in the minors necessary to make it. I just don’t see Mannequin or the owners doing anything really effective to make the game attractive to black American athletes from an early age …

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Rickey Henderson’s mother convinced him to choose pro baseball over pro football, they say. Money talks louder now.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Well,there’s plenty of $ in baseball, and guaranteed contracts. But, I don’t see that attracting African American kids to the sports…

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I think Darren Baker’s available for this draft — jr at Cal. Both Ross brothers are from the East Bay and Cal (Tyson’s in the Giants system now, I think). Marcus Semien came out of Berkeley, HS and Cal. And the promising player I know from Oakland LL, drafted out of U Santa Clara a year or two back, is African American. I didn’t realize that such things weren’t happening elsewhere.

Baseball careers are longer, but the pot of gold is many years away compared to nfl. Although a top round mob draft pick does get a good bonus.

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:47 pm

sorry. “mlb”

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Would like to see SF open up a Dominican-inspired baseball academy deep down in Aaallabaammma. Though #44 is gone now, it would be nice to see #24 officially “christening” such a facility in his home state. Naming it after the Say Hey Kid would send a certain message. Academics (certainly the basics) would get their due, particularly in the two or three mid-winter off months. Focus would be on American kids who love baseball and have the talent to rise. Opposition scouts would not be welcome. Games could be inter-mural until such time as other orgs. get the message. Most black stars grew up in the deep South, so let the inferior sports keep the city crowd (unless there’s some kids who aren’t the physical freaks FB and BB seem to require) and who have the smarts to realize baseball is their future.

26. snarkk said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:20 pm

And, BTW I totally agree with BF about drafting field talent, and signing FA pitching. I’ve been saying that here for years. No FA hitters want to come here, and still won’t even after the minor fence-bringing-in that has happened. FA pitchers will come to a pitcher’s park…

• willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:27 pm

last 2 FAs Giants got were smrdz and Cueto who cost them $20 mil a pop per season, with middling results including major surgery and season lost. You can only afford to have 1 or 2 of those and they won’t get any cheaper. You have find them in draft where you can control them for 6 years.
      Was Poms an FA signing? Way overrated, overpaid and routinely awful as an SP, fortunately did well enough in pen to warrant a good prospect (Dubon?) coming back.

27. willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:23 pm

wow the kid HS pitcher taken in 2nd round had TJ surgery last September. high school and already under knife. yikes
    book I read about pitching by Passan was real eye opener. Mike Marshall has some pretty wild ideas about training; conventional ML teams have little or no idea how to protect the young (or old) arms they have, regardless of how much $$$ is spent.

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I knew an 11 year old LL pitcher who had shoulder reconstruction surgery. “His ligaments are tight again!” his father said, eyes gleaming. “His velocity is up.”

28. Macdog said, on June 11, 2020 at 2:41 pm

2nd round #49: Casey Schmitt, 3B, San Diego St.

29. zumiee said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:10 pm

Baseball has become an expensive sport for kids, like golf and tennis. You need expensive equipment and entrance fees for leagues. You need baseball fields to play on. All those things work against inner city kids these days. In addition to a lot of kids finding baseball boring and kind of uncool. Basketball is huge and cool to a lot of kids, and football is really huge in the South, grabbing all the best athletes it can.

30. Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:25 pm

just because Sabean and Evans fucked up the FA signings doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Baseball FA signings are a huge crapshoot because you have to pay them so much fucking $$$ and there’s a decent danger they are on the backside of their career at that point. Obviously a big risk for a pitcher because of how many innings are on that arm by the time you get them (Cueto was a great example).
    Again, bottom line is that you can attract pitchers as FA but not hitters. And we need hitters to compete in today’s game. Buy the fucking pitchers and try not to fuck it up.

31. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Pitchers are flying off the board in a heavy pitching draft.Giants coming up 67&68 which means no pitchers for Z cause why be logical?
    Let’s get back to back catchers!!
    Ok kidding I think 🤔.. I’ll say 1 pitcher 1 outfielder in these 2 spots
    Fuckin Dodgers pick 66

32. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Dodgers draft 3 Right handed power pitchers..
    The rich get richer..

33. xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:36 pm

There’s a Reuter-like guy, Swiney.

34. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Nick Swiney LHP/Reliever and teammate of catcher Patrick Bailey
    Now Jimmy Glowenke SS from Texas somewhere?

35. Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:54 pm

“Glowenke” breaks my rule of “can’t have a dumbass sounding name to be a stud”

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 3:58 pm

you must’ve been on the fence over Posey

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 6:47 pm

no way. Buster Posey? Sounds like a player.

36. willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 4:03 pm

flavor you’re plan is sound in theory I just think it’s much more difficult to execute in practice. The A’s did well to get Mike Fiers for cheap and he’s given them 2 good seasons. They also did Ok with 30 yr old +retreads like Brett Anderson, not so much with Homer Bailey and tanner roark couple guys with ERA over 4.00. these are your basic #4 and #5s and typically don’t last much more than a year.

Think of Giants equivalents like Hudson or Peavy back end journeyman vets good for 5 innings on a good day when they aren’t getting hammered like that Stratton guy. By contrast the A’s also have 2 young controllable studs in Frankie Montas and Sean Manaea, 26-27. These are type of guys I want to see Giants draft (like this year for a start) and develop; then you can use the others as back end fillers.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2020 at 5:11 pm

if it weren’t for the game headed towards openers I’d be more on board. I just think the game is changing too much. It’s like in the nBA back in the 70’s and 80’s you needed a dominant center. Now, you don’t need that anymore. Game’s changed.

37. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 4:23 pm

Pick #79 by Pittsburgh Pirates
    RHP Nick Garcia Chapman University Division 3
    Home town SAN CARLOS CA!!
    6’4 215 lbs
    O’Dowd raves about this kid, easy 97 delivery comparison to John Smoltz.
    And believes just cause you played division 3 ball the talent is not there and scouts will find you!
    A real potential steal for Pittsburgh..

38. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Kyle Harrison LHP De La Salle HS
    Welcome to the Giants pick number 85

• Macdog said, on June 11, 2020 at 4:56 pm

They play something other than football at De La Salle?

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 9:38 pm

lulz

39. wilcojoe said, on June 11, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Zman going East Bay with a De La Salle kid. Nice!

40. Winder said, on June 11, 2020 at 4:40 pm

they said they were gonna look local. I guess they meant it.

41. blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Hey Chi . . . contact me via Messenger (or smoke signals work well in my ‘hood). I got an estimate on a generator hard install with transfer switch and I want to ask you a couple of questions. Thank you.

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 9:40 pm

Locked out of FB/Messenger. Will text ya or call,you tomorrow.

42. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 5:04 pm

Best name in the Draft… Blaze Jordan by far!
    Picked #89 by the Red Sox could still end up going to college at Mississippi St.
    As a 11 year old hitting 395 ft bombs
    As a 13 year old hitting 500 ft bombs
    3rd basemen with light tower/ steroid power!!

43. Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2020 at 5:26 pm

Rarest 3 commodities in baseball: Catcher, Shortstop, L.H. pitchers. Giants’ most gaping positional hole in a couple years or so: 3B. So with their first round pick SF chooses a quality catcher. At 3rd base we get in the second mid-round a guy so versatile he also was the closer for his college team. With picks #67 & 85 a pair of mound lefties, one collegiate, the more long-term from Concord, Ca. right at high school graduation. Finally, the SS for the Will Smith compensation pick at #67. So a catcher, a shortstop, a pair of L.H. hurlers and last but hardly least, a hot corner man whose projected date of hitting The Show is right about when he’s needed.
    IMHO, Zaidi and his merry men may not have gone for sluggers or power-pitchers, but have conservatively addressed team needs, hard to fill slots, and a fair measure of versatility. Interesting selections.

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 6:01 pm

They still managed to bag SS Will Wilson a first rd pick from the Angels and a Phillies high pick in Zach Green a 3rd basemen who was up for a cup of coffee but still could add depth at 3rd..

44. Macdog said, on June 11, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Round 4: R.J. Dabovich, RHP, Arizona St.

45. Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2020 at 6:23 pm

Some owners got class. Twins owners, the Pohlad family, have pledged $25 million for “racial justice”. Not nearly such a monumental investment for Giants owners at $1 million or so, the team’s 270 minor leaguers, according to Henry Schulman of the Chronicle, will each get a weekly stipend of $400. It may not be high on the hog or very helpful in high-rent places, but one can live on $400 per week. In the face of some owners who could be considered scammers, shysters and slippery eels, the owners of my two favorite teams have demonstrated an element of grace under pressure…a quality not particularly common among rich folks.

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm

I agree. And the Giants should, and under pressure probably will, throw in much more money. But evil eels? I think eels are pretty much blameless beasts.

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Yeah, take it easy on the eels, Stix. 😉

46. Macdog said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:16 pm

And last but not least: At #144, Ryan Murphy, RHP from Le Moyne College in Syracuse.

• Macdog said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:22 pm

Pawlie’s alma mater!

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:31 pm

Well then that makes him HOF in my book!

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 9:45 pm

Very cool. Overall, I like the draft and think the Z and crew did fairly well.

47. xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:38 pm

After a stressful day at the draft, I was glad to come across this New Yorker interview with Sonny Rollins. As much as I like his music, I think the one question I would ask him is: How much money did you leave on the table to guarantee that the Stones would not give you explicit credit for the sax work on Tattoo You? But I’m a cynic. The great Sonny Rollins obviously is not.

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 10:02 pm

Great read so far. I’m fading and will finish it tomorrow. Love his quote on the Golden Rule.

• willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 10:26 pm

Fabulous, thx Xoot. He mentions Billie Holiday and the interviewer talks about the beautiful version he did of “God Bless the Child.” that’s on the one with the guitarist Jim Hall, The Bridge. wonderful cd.

• xoot said, on June 11, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Time was I listened to Jim Hall, Tal Farlow and Joe Pass all day long. But Sonny R in that interview, a real genius — so humble and so proud.

There’s a guy who plays sax for tips at the Rockridge Oakland BART station, thinks he’s good. He’s not, really. But he can tie into St. Thomas with something like love. I definitely drop money into his hat then.

48. Winder said, on June 11, 2020 at 7:58 pm

I think we had a really diverse draft and an overall good one. Got some players that just might end up on the team. i like the HS kid from De La Salle quite a bit. I hope this works out for Z and the franchise.

49. zumiee said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Hey, what’s happening with the negotiations between the owners and the players?

50. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2020 at 8:45 pm

I like the pick of 3B Casey Schmitt at #49
    3rd base is a definite need for the future..

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2020 at 10:09 pm

He pitches, too, and touches 96…

51. Macdog said, on June 11, 2020 at 9:25 pm

No outfielders, haha.

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2020 at 9:46 pm

52. willedav said, on June 11, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Mac, De La Salle does pretty well in north coast section for other sports too like basketball and baseball, just not to degree football program does.

53. Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2020 at 11:34 pm

And you call them the “Greatest Generation”. Well they did bring us into the world, We War Babies and our Boomer kid siblings. Awright, so I’ve been literally tuned in this evening and Dylan’s “Murder Most Foul” segues into his Nobel performance “Desolation Row”. From there, selections took me into John Lee Hooker with Carlos Santana and Etta James–‘Blues Boogie’. With sciatica and all I was soon MOVING…back into the ’65-’75 era when music absolutely peaked. “Do you feel alright?” Hooker tells it. “Perhaps you say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one .” True, I’m a Marxist-Lennonist–Groucho and John. “Imagine” that.

Wowie, zowie, kapowie. It’s off through Santana and into Louis and Ella doing ‘Summertime”, with the Kinks hammering out “Lola”,Donovan swirling out ‘Atlantis’, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash lighting up the Western skies, Eric Burdon and The Animals rendition of “The House of the Rising Sun’, echoed by Arlo Guthrie taking us down “The City of New Orleans” and Janis Joplin sending Kris Kristofferson’s “Me and my Bobby McGee from the coal mines of Kentucky to the California sun.”

Yes, that damned joint I was in starved my soul outta the finest decade of musical high times this planet has ever known. There was something sweet about the Sixties. F irst half of the Seventies brought us “Hotel California” by the Eagles and “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin.

Living as a young man immersed in that time of wonder and joy amidst conflict and desolation was an incredible gift. There were sideboard commentaries by some of the listeners…the general consensus was that today’s music simply ain’t got no soul. Maybe the vibe is gone for those who did not experience that music for the ages. Pulling outta Baghdad by the Bay in early January of ’70 in my 63 Impala, the radio dial landed on Merle Haggard’s “Okie from Muskogee”–first time I heard it– as we were headed for Bakersfield on the way to LaLaLand. Last words go to the Eagles “we haven’t had that spirit here since Nineteen-Sixty-Nine.” The Sixties were over and we ran on fumes halfway through the Seventies. After that the music seems to echo devolutionary times.

But don’t despair: “The Times they are a Changing” still rattles around my old head. Though times may seem awful dark right now, the wheel’s still in spin and who knows when Toto’s gonna pull back the curtain. More and more, the American people seem to hanker for that. The spirits of our martyrs whisper in many ears, spirits such as “Abraham, Martin and John.”

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2020 at 7:34 am

agreed. The music my daughter listens to is absolute soulless shit.