Play Bart

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 14, 2020

Agree with Larry here:

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 7.17.30 AM

Also, never subscribed to worrying about the *clock* getting starting. If I guy is legit you’re going to pay him no matter what, these days guys get their arb years bought out. It would be a travesty to waste this opportunity to develop this guy at the ML level.

1. Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2020 at 7:32 am

Again, my take on probability is that for whatever reason they will start out with the scrubinis and when they duly flop, fan and press pressure will place Bart within “the tools of ignorance.” Wherever did they come up with that term? Typically, the catcher is the brightest light on the field.

2. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2020 at 7:57 am

FWIW:

Bum’s ML debut: 9/08/09
    Buster’s ML debut: 9/11/09

• willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:07 am

exactly. Probably what would have happened with Bart this year, mid season or Sept call up. Sure get him 100 ABs if you want, he is very likely still going to need more in minors to start next year. Hindsight it’s unfortunate Z’s off season moves (letting Vogt go, Garcia getting hurt) and plans for 2020 got derailed by covid,

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:10 am

well, Lincecum 5/6/07

3. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:11 am

Bochy sat Posey for basically the whole freakin month he came up for Big Titty even though they were never in the race! That pissed me off! He got a lousy 17 AB’s with 2 singles scattered over very little consistent AB’s!!
    Geez and then his 1st full year as he’s going off winning the ROY and handling the pitching staff to its 1st W/S title it took the Giants all the way to the trade deadline to eventually trade Molina! Dumb

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:30 am

Worrying about starting Bart’s FA clock seems…dumb. It’s not like he’s an 18 year old phenomenon. Dude is 23 and will be 24 in Dec. starting his clock now lines up FA when he’s 30. There’s no minor league season so what else is he going to do?

• willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:41 am

He’d be part of bottom 30 along with the other prospects like Ramos. I don’t think Ramos is ready for MLB, and Z seems to think Bart isn’t either and needs few hundred more ABs of minor league ball. Z kept Dodgers hot C guy Will Smith in minors for 1200 ABs, 3 and half seasons before he came up.

As part of that lower group Bart would be busy catching all the pitchers there, getting instruction from coaches, and chance to play some games vs. other Calif teams bottom 30 groups. He’d be plenty busy just not vs. ML pitching.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2020 at 9:04 am

I can see some value in the catching angle but not much. Who would he handle on the staff – back end BP guys and maybe a starter once or twice. I think he can he can play now and gets more value out of being with the big club.

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:47 am

Exactly.

5. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:53 am

Agree that it is asinine to wait to start Bart’s clock, but I don’t have a strong sense on how Z and crew will play this…hope that we see JB early in the season.

6. xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 9:01 am

Kapler interviewed on some tv sports show I came across last night was energized by the pre-season game (or games) just confirmed with the a’s. He said that on a blackboard behind him, just out of the camera’s range, he and his coaches had chalked in lineups for the exhibition games and for the season-opening games in LA. He was having fun, he claimed, mixing things in.

Sacramento’s close by, the roster’s larger (for a while) and a whole lot of guys have options. This season, especially the opening weeks of it, will be like nothing before, although there are some undertones of, say, the down days of 2007, because on paper the Giants really don’t have much of a chance. All the more reason to cut loose, to go for it.

7. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2020 at 9:18 am

One player who has turned out to be a lame duck candidate for the organization is Chris Shaw.Demoted to AA at the start of last year, wasn’t put on a roster spot for this year.Its obvious Zman and his scouts have little faith in him compared to Sabean’s and his lackeys did.Shaw just strikeouts to much to overcome his sporadic power surges. I can see Z cutting ties with him soon imo…

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 9:31 am

Yeah he just has completely disappeared from radar.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2020 at 10:12 am

“Radar Love” on the radio in 1974 could motivate a stoned out teen to floor his ’69 LeMans…

8. willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 10:26 am

As to who Bart would catch if he weren’t on first 30–initial Giants roster had 25 pitchers and they’ve added a few more in since then. All teams are doing this, overloading on pitching (and catching) because no one is sure who will be ready to go x amount of innings. Giants could easily go with multiple 3-4 inning guys at a time as a game plan, as Flavor has mentioned. Kapler has already said to start season no one who starts a game is going 5+.

Bottom line more pitchers will be used at all levels since some of those who originally make the first 30 will be shuffled back down. Bart will have plenty enough to do at lower level and coaching staff can monitor/mentor progress. I’m sure he makes it up at some point and service time does seem an issue for all clubs.

9. snarkk said, on July 14, 2020 at 10:29 am

This “season”, with inserted DH, 10th inning runners on second base, no fans, etc. is nothing but an exhibition, an extended spring training.
    Free Bart !…

10. willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 10:50 am

Giants imo have other way more important things to look at than who is C. Well stocked position for years to come.

who is CF going forward? Yaz Davis BHam Dubon? F/G didn’t think Dubon was more than .700 OPs guy with .300 OB; I’d hope he can be much better hitter. Playing him in CF vs. LHP opens up spots on IF/DH. Can offensively challenged team keep low OB guy like Hamilton, even with DH?

Also wonder who is other SS behind Crawford, and not just for this season. Solano had high OB and .800 OPS last season. He’s 32 though and is what he did last year sustainable or one off? How much 2b does Flores play or Y Sanchez–one a better hitter the other much better defensively.

11. xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 11:08 am

off topic moment. Look at the idiots on bicycles, without masks. Unbelievable.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2020 at 11:14 am

LMAO…

12. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2020 at 11:42 am

Golden Earrings Radar Love is one of the best jamming down the highway songs of alltime .Use to wear out that cassette in my GTO in the mid 70’s smoking weed with my buddies…

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 12:24 pm

There’s a lot of one-hit wonder bands, and there’s Golden Earring. A two-hit wonder band. This was a pretty rockin’ video back in the day.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Titties and a double-neck bass. I miss MTV.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:45 pm

LOL…yep – TWO hit wonder. Both rocking good songs for their day, though.

13. Winder said, on July 14, 2020 at 11:58 am

We have the perfect opportunity to evaluate a lot of players in a 60 game schedule, like someone said earlier now is the time to do it instead of waiting another year.

14. Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 12:19 pm

lol

Fuck,
    I’ve asked my team to pull the records of my BEST donors – our most loyal Patriots who I can always count on when I need them the most. I’m disappointed to say that when I asked for your file, they told me you showed up in the BOTTOM 1% of all Trump Supporters.

SUPPORTER RECORD

SUPPORTER: Fuck You
    DONOR SINCE: NOT AVAILABLE
    2020 CAMPAIGN CYCLE GIFTS: $0
    LIFETIME TOTAL: $0

We won’t win without you, Fuck, which is why I really need you to step up.

15. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 12:20 pm

All this talk of Bart and I still don’t get how Bart will get ABs in the ‘minors’ if there are no minors.

Are the Giants simply playing intrasquad games in Sacto for the duration of the season? Intrasquad with the A’s? If so, then it makes absolutely no fucking sense. If this is about the clock in the truncated season, then double-fuck it.

What is the free agent schedule anyway? 15 games, and then they can play Bart and it doesn’t start the clock? 20? The whole season should just be a fucking wash that doesn’t start or count against any free agency contingencies. But this being baseball, I’m sure that in’t the case.

16. xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:00 pm

The two most dispiriting, but instructive, things I ever heard as cops dismissed my pleas and handed me tickets: “I always go after the winner” (Fairfield CA); and, “You drive what we call a hit car” (Berkeley). Radar my ass.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:23 pm

You drive a ‘Vette?

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 2:12 pm

No. Back then I drove a very sensible 66 Porsche.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 3:42 pm

Sensible? Tell that to James Dean!

The last of the 356s or the first of the 911s?

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:07 pm

an original 912 — a gas-sipping economy car. And the speed contest was no such thing; it was an evasive maneuver to lose some 3 am drunks in a muscle car threatening and harassing the beleaguered driver of a small European coupe.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:42 pm

Damn. Nice ride. They look so sharp. Love the early 911s. They are worth huge dough now.

17. Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Puig headed to the launching pad in Atlanta. No surprise at all, that guy is too much of a pussy to try to play in a man’s park like Oracle.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:38 pm

Yeah, he wanted to be near Florida. He has said that a bunch of times.

18. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:30 pm

My first speeding ticket was me getting pulled over with 3 other cars on 280. 2 CHP bracketed us and made us all pull over. 80 in a 65. Such bullshit. I fought it of course but the cop showed up (CHP get paid to go to court, city cops don’t). I pled with the judge that 80 was a safe speed on a 5 lane superhighway, but no avail. I did get the fine reduced and went to traffic school. Still got the fucking points though. Ended up getting my license pulled 3 days before my HS graduation when I got another speeding ticket.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:31 pm

And I was the last car in the fast lane.

• willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:49 pm

ESPN 2 has shown Eagles concert done, with Joe Walsh, couple times lately and I caught some of it.
        didn’t hear Life in the Fast Lane though.

Gotta admit where I worked used to hear the Ferraris in middle of downtown, when they started up from dead stop while crawling along through traffic. Other than 280 wondered where the hell owners could turn one loose.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Aren’t some of the roads up around Skyline etc. ok? Friend of mine, who never outgrew his automotive fetish, likes to drive his sports cars on some of those roads that cut over the mountains between 101 and 1, iirc.

• Winder said, on July 14, 2020 at 2:22 pm

zoot- a lot of those roads are great on a motorcycle. i guess you could open it up on with a car but you would really need some good steering. My friend had a little Hillman Husky and we used to hit 80+ going from Skyline to La Honda but in a normal car you couldn’t do that.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 2:34 pm

My friend favors exotic cars. As I said, a fetish. Currently, I think he has a Bristol and a Pegaso. Aston M and Lotus were favorites, too.

• Winder said, on July 14, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Lol, I don’t even know what some of those are.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:34 pm

My dad loved porsches but he couldn’t fit into a 911, so he bought a 914-6 back in the day. I got to drive it once, but I had it for a day and a half. Drove Skyline (35), Tunitas Creek Rd, highway 9 through the hills and then back over 17 late at night. The thing was like driving a slot car. 17 at 3 am when it is empty is quite a rush. I turned around at the Los Gatos side and did it again.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:35 pm

My dad always wanted an Esprit. His claim to fame was his 1971 Pantera. That thing was ungodly fast.

They took his license away indefinitely (!) so he sold it. They said ‘we’ll let you know when you can get it back’. Turned out it was 8 years. Amazingly enough he never got pulled over the entire time. He never stopped driving and that’s when he bought the 914-6. Less flashy.

Bristols are kinda like Aston Martins aren’t they? Brit supercars?

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:30 pm

yeah, Brit super car.

• Bozo said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:24 pm

Early 80s I was headed up to Arcata in an old 73 Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon. Laugh if you want, but that sucker could cruise like a sumbitch and carry my drums. Around Ukiah, I’m in the fast lane making good time passing folks and in my rearview I see a Mustang coming up fast. I punch it to get by a couple of other cars and pull into the slow lane and this Mustang pulls up next me and it’s the CHP. At the time I had no idea they had Mustangs, the guy pulls next to me and over his loudspeaker just says “Slow that piece of shit down” and then he zoomed off. I figured the guy was just about to clock out or something and man, I thankfully nodded at him and just chugged that beer that I had opened between my legs after he passed.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:13 pm

lol. But open container, in Calif, while speeding in a V8 Ford on 101? You win.

19. Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Most of Cali can be pretty frustrating these days for young drivers feeling their oats. One possible solution: Move to either North or South Dakota and eastern Montana backroads are pretty much open sesame. Here in Minnesota there are a few low-population counties in the Red River Valley area where the get up and go got there yesterday.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 2:40 pm

There’s a lot of backcountry in California. Probably more than in any other state. Well, outside Alaska. And Montana.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:49 pm

True story. LOTS of wide open spaces in California. One of the main reasons I love this state.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:58 pm

Made the run from Berkeley to Squaw Valley in under 2 hours one early morning. I was over 100 most of the way.

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:00 pm

that’s insane. What time did you leave to pull that off? 3am?

20. mrsprtdude said, on July 14, 2020 at 2:53 pm

I say play bart 60% of the time, and he can watch at ML level the other times. Learn and develop. If he sytruggles too much then he can sit. No downside.
    Re extrainning games.. Hamilton starts at 2nd in every game. Steal 3rd EVERY time before the 1st out.
    Just as an aside….

Giants ONLY goal for 2020??? 7-3 vs LA. Treat those 10 games as the WS.
    Each game is equal to 2.7 games. 4 games equal to 10.7
    Imagine if we take 3/4 to open. fans and the press will make a big deal out of the hole they will be in to start.
    Then SF 3 vs SD, 3 vs Texas, 3 @ Colorado then 3 more AT LA

LA $ vs us in LA… Then 2 @ Houston, 3 @ AZ, 3 @ SD then back home for 3 more at home vs the Giants.

Their schedule much harder than ours at the start. Imagine if they loss 3/4 then a hard 8 game trip starting with the hated Astros. PRESSURE!!

Now they are at home again to play us we win 2/3 and they are in huge trouble:)

To lose 5/7 is the same as going 6/19 in regular year.
    If they beat us (expected right!) ..we have no worry about Z fucking up our rebuild by not trading the dead wood again…

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:02 pm

My understanding is the last hitter in the 9th inning starts at 2b in the 10th….I am assuming you can pitch rum but then Hamilton likely not back on 2nd for the 11th and maybe the 12th…

21. xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Giants scrimmage is live for fifteen minutes right now. sfgiants.com, I think. i found it on twitter, in time to see Cueto strike out Pablo.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 3:29 pm

maybe it’s only available on the giants twitter feed

22. willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:26 pm

mm something else to consider. per Keith Law in his book “Smart Baseball” in chapter where he talks about WAR: “…(Catcher and SS) play positions where teams will often sacrifice some offense to gain value on defense–or will accept awful offense because they can’t find anyone more capable to fill those positions. This is why SS and C are highly valued in the market for players—the draft, intl FAs, MLB FA and trades. There are never really enough to go around…”

23. willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:29 pm

btw, thx Flav for saying he is really smart guy when I asked in re his recommendations for value of Giants pick. This book from 2016 is fascinating. I think he has new one out and I’d love to check that out, especially since game has become even more HR/offense conscious since then.
    Does get little full of himself but also adds some humor in there too.

24. willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Reading the Puig to Braves thread on MLBTR, there are references to Adam Duvall as part of their OF/DH mix. How do you explain Adam Duvall? In giants minors system from 2010, worked his way up with good numbers, played briefly one season for SF, hit just few HRs and .575 OPS. then went back down, traded to Cincy…

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:57 pm

Explain him in what way?

• willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:42 pm

He’s still playing in 2020.

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm

Read his pharmacological report….

25. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Growing up around here in the 70s there were so many places to drive that were fairly uninhabited by cops. Highway 84 through the woods to the beach, highway 92, 35, 9. But, man, no forgiveness. You miss a turn, you are in serious trouble. On a bike, I would have killed myself in a New York minute.

280 from San Mateo to Woodside was party central with all those vista points. The drag races on Canada Rd from Edgewood Road to 92 were pretty epic.

Used to run from the San Mateo police by shooting through Hillsborough, turning off the lights, and flying into someone’s driveway. Did it a bunch of times.

26. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:44 pm

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Too bad Ted Kennedy didn’t drive one of these…

27. Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Boom. It’s happening. Let’s go!

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Lets hit a few Flodgers next week!!!

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Cool. Not surprised, but I like it.

28. Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:52 pm

WillieD I’m not really sure what you meant by *explain Duvall* but I’m assuming you meant what happened to him when he went to Atl?
    Look, this guy was always hitting over his head and he was massively aided by playing in Cinn (like Puig and others). Cinn decided to dump him because they knew the wheels were about to fall off and ATL picked him up to hit vs lefties. The problem is, that never really panned out. For whatever reason (maybe they just came to the realization that he sucked) he never got a chance to play for them. 53 at bats the year they traded for him midseason and I think he was stuck back in the minors for a good chunk of last year. Basically, the Reds should love that guy—they got him to go bombs away for 2 seasons with them then they dump him to Atl where he proceeded to do nothing. If all trades could work out that well for one team…….

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:54 pm

who was that dude 4-5 years ago who said he was an artist, loved Duvall he never shut the fuck up about him. I outed him as a closet troll and he never came back again. Someone will remember this guy, I think Blade liked him a lot…..

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:09 pm

Bass Baldy

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:55 pm

Always made me think besides the bandbox in Cincy that Duvall was likely on something…makes sense for him to DH but he better pray the NL goes full DH..

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:58 pm

Sure, he could have been. Who knows, maybe a guy like Shaw, if given a full season in a bandbox like Cinn, would produce the same way. Duvall got a chance there something he didn’t get in SF or Atl. I actually thought he did most of his damage vs lefties but I just looked it up and he didn’t, he hit both equally shitty though hit 3 X as many bombs vs RH than LH

• willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:51 pm

you just did, emphasis on park factor. I was surprised he is still around and part of contending team LU, and so many bloggers mentioned him in comments.

29. gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:53 pm

No Puig for Loo and I…Flav gets a free lunch somewhere near Palo I will assume…so at least now give us Bart.

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:55 pm

hopefully a beer/lunch at a game. I’d like you to pay through the nose for this. lqtm.

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:22 pm

If we get the golf tourney in first..

30. Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm

what was that guy’s handle…he lived in AZ I think (or he said he did). Would always drone on and on about how great Duvall was and how SF blew it by letting him get away……

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Bass Baldy

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:39 pm

that’s it! I couldn’t stand that guy. I think Chuck stood with me on that. The rest of you liked him for some reason. He was a troll.

• willedav said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:48 pm

He was a musician too, played bass for some edgier jazz groups. He knew guys whose music I liked; he recommended some others to me but they were a little beyond my taste. Surprised he wound up where he did, far outside normal jazz world. He let us know a venue he was playing at in SF one weekend years ago. I looked up the music being played, just too wild for me and I didn’t go.

31. Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:02 pm

I’m actually bummed Puig didn’t sign with us. I had several choreographed victory laps planned out. He’ll probably do well in ATL in that LU in that joke of a park…..

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Launching Pad level of unbearable humidity…

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:24 pm

We lost probably one really good brawl with the Flodgers…

32. gianthead said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:20 pm

Slater in particular and Jaylin Davis are the big winners of Puig going to Atlanta and was certainly the smarter play for Puig to be on a competitive team that he can attempt to land a multi-year deal elsewhere next year and still think Miami is his future destination where he can wallow in waste…

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2020 at 6:38 pm

the good hitters on that team help him because he’ll probably be placed in the LU where he can bat in front of Ozuna and see more fastballs (something he needs). But make no mistake, he’s going to re-build his value hitting in that joker park. It would have been career suicide to play in Oracle.

• Macdog said, on July 14, 2020 at 7:30 pm

The Braves have been in their new park for, what, a couple years now? Is it already considered a bandbox? I really don’t know.

33. Macdog said, on July 14, 2020 at 7:31 pm

Man, all this talk about driving fast, I’m happy if I can get up to 80 on the Garden State Parkway.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:06 pm

Ooh, remember that Garden State Parkway. Had a heavy lunch on the Jersey side some few miles north of Camden. It was this time of year, back in ’65 when I was doing garden seed accounts for Northrup-King. Was zooming northwards intent on getting back to the N.Y. metro. Was driving this ’64 Ford Econoline, moving right along in the far-left lane. Started getting a tad drowsy.

Next thing I new was the Sound of gravel beneath the tires. Margin of the right lane. Had drifted clearly through traffic. It was busy enough even back then. Nothing like they called their expressway the “Long Island Parking Lot”, but reasonably intense. Never even heard a horn honking. Just the sound of gravel. For the past 55 years I have never again had a big mid-day meal before heading off on the road on a hot Summer day.

• Macdog said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Ha, good advice.

34. Bozo said, on July 14, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Puig to the Braves? The James household reluctantly take down the living room Saran Wrap.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:51 pm

lqtm…

35. xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Lisle. He said he had a performance piece that began with him inside his soft bass case, inching across the stage like a caterpillar. He stopped in the spotlight, unzipped the case and rose, like a butterfly I guess, as someone lowered his bass from above by cable to his waiting arms. Meanwhile, the other members of the band began to play and he joined in. Cecil Taylor was the most prominent musician he played with, I think. But he dared to bad-mouth the great all-powerful all-knowing Nunie. Yikes.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:09 pm

His bad-mouthing of Nunie was pretty stupid, though. And his argument with Flav over whether Gladden had credibility as a Nunie proponent was even worse. Bad day, for baldy.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:19 pm

Haha, you guys remember a lot about that guy’s posts. The only thing I remember was he was living in Bisbee AZ, old desert town, and liked to talk about minor league teams with odd names. Other than that…..

36. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:06 pm

“80 on the Garden State Parkway”… yeah, John, good fun when you can hit that. My 1st year of college was down at Stockton State near AC, would visit north Jersey some weekends (Bridgewater) and then drive back down late on Sunday night, I mean really late. No cars, no cops. Man, some of those stretches of the Parkway once you got south of Tuckerton, could really fly….. good times.

• Macdog said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Yeah, that stretch is pretty nice. Actually, there are times when 80 in the left lane is too slow, especially this time of year when all the impatient bennies from north Jersey and NY are coming down to the shore.

37. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm

I was texting once with Baldy about Arizona since my parents use to have a winter home down there in Apache Jct.We we’re talking about scorpions that end up in your homes occasionally which is common to happen in the desert.Any way I believed he mentioned a town called Bisbee where he settled into near Tucson..

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Yes, Kat, see my blurb above. Bisbee area is actually kinda cool, old mining town, revamped and kept up, has a great vintage airstream trailer park you can stay. Can also wander across the border nearby (well, not now…) although pretty shady border town on the other side. Did a road trip down that way once in my Jeep. Remember sitting out at a picnic table in the back lot of a cheap motel, bottle of tequila and a gorgeous sunset over the desert. More good times. But no Badass Baldy.

• alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Oh good job P/A I didn’t see your post before I came in second place!

• alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2020 at 9:02 pm

P/A Tequila and Mexico 🇲🇽 is just a standard tradition on all vacations down there I would think?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 14, 2020 at 9:06 pm

And/or a good mezcal. And if you’re lucky, a bit of peyote. Been years since that……

38. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:31 pm

Misty water-colored memories,
    Of the way Baldy was…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:37 pm

lulz

39. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 14, 2020 at 8:42 pm

For this season*, I’d like to revise “Let Timmy Smoke!” to “Let Joey Play!”…

40. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2020 at 11:30 pm

Flav, it was 5:30am. Woke up late to go skiing and we just jumped in the car and punched it. I had my old mustang rolling about 110 the whole way. 73 convertible that handled like a wet sponge but the 351 C was solid. Crap off the line but the thing went from 30 to 100 in a blink. Great passing gear. Added the dual exhaust and the 4 barrel. Wanted to drop a 4-speed into it but never got around to it. Good times.

41. djloo27 said, on July 15, 2020 at 4:13 am

Wound it up to a hundred-and-ten
    My speedometer said that I hit top end
    My foot was blue, like lead to the floor
    That’s all there is and there ain’t no more

Now the boys all thought I’d lost my sense
    And telephone poles looked like a picket fence
    They said, “Slow down! I see spots!
    The lines on the road just look like dots”

Took a corner; sideswiped a truck
    Crossed my fingers just for luck
    My fenders was clickin’ the guardrail posts
    The guy beside me was white as a ghost

Smoke was comin’ from out of the back
    When I started to gain on that Cadillac
    Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass
    Don’t you know by then we’d be low on gas?

We had flames comin’ from out of the side
    Feel the tension. Man! What a ride!
    I said, “Look out, boys, I’ve got a license to fly!”
    And that Caddy pulled over and let us by

• Bozo said, on July 15, 2020 at 4:47 am

I was just listening to the version Asleep at the Wheel did of Hot Rod Lincoln a couple of days ago.

• djloo27 said, on July 15, 2020 at 5:00 am

I thought Unca Chuck was writing his own version…

• Bozo said, on July 15, 2020 at 6:05 am

Yeah you right, I can already see the video.