Troubled Times

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 3, 2020

This little 5-5 start to the season has been fun but reality is about to hit, hard. I expect Colorado to blast us tonight. Rockies laying in the weeds, Giants needing a game to get their barrings in Nepal.

Regardless we are now on a ten game roadie vs the Rox, The Dodgers and The Cheaters. If we somehow win 2 I’ll be impressed. I don’t see how our pitching staff competes even on equal footing against those 3 teams and having to start off with the staff getting decimated in Denver, man, this is going to get ugly, early.

Also, yesterday was a big STRIKE TWO for Kapler. That Triggs nonsense had me doing a slow burn till….well I’m still doing it. Made no sense. MAYBE you give a vet a little rope but when it’s obvious to everyone watching that this kid had no business being on a major league mound yesterday it makes you really question if Kap has any idea at all what he’s doing. Imagine the players on the field watching that in real time. They had to be questioning Kap’s managerial skills at that point.

________________________________________________

email inbox today. The subject lines are always the start of the best comedy

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 9.09.41 AM

1. chipower9 said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:11 am

Yes, this roadie will be daunting, but I have just been happy watching this team be scrappy and battle-back. The Padres sure as hell are not chopped liver (I think they have a stacked line-up) and we did pretty well against the bums, all things considered. I suspect maybe three wins on this 10 game roadie, four would be cool as hell, and I would be ecstatic with .500.

Saw via the Athletic, 9 games in, Baseball Reference had the Giants at 56.3 percent chance of making the playoffs. When I saw that I had visions of Jim Mora yelling “Playoffs?!”

2. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:32 am

I don’t see any reason why the Giants can’t pound this starting pitcher Chi Chi Gonzalez who SUCKS as a big league pitcher.High ERA,High Whip,Losing big league record, of course he’s at home so maybe he throws a no hitter lol 😂 against are famous TBD pitcher!
    Maybe I’ll look into a Covaid19 baseball jersey, Covaid19 on the front, and TBD on the back!

• Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:46 am

Big let down tonight. First game in Coors. If I was a betting man i’d hammer the Rox tonight.

3. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 10:14 am

Yeah I missed the Triggs massacre and I agree Flavor no reason to throw him in the game that was tied at the time? They’re had to be more options I would think..

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 3, 2020 at 11:46 am

Had Kappenstein pulled Triggs after the first couple walks and replaced him with Menez, there would have been a good possibility that the damage (even with no outs) would have been minimal.

4. gianthead said, on August 3, 2020 at 10:57 am

Pray and expect a split in CO but can we tread water and get one in LA and one in Hou…think we are dandy…

5. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 11:14 am

The Giants are the only team in the division that has played the Dodgers even up through they’re last 7 straight titles, so I believe they will keep hanging with them. It’s the D-Backs,Padres,&Rockies that they have beat up on bigtime.
    Cheating Stros should be tough,Stringer I believe is struggling, hope he continues too atleast thru out are series.Ill take one win 2 would be gravy..

6. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 11:14 am

LH lineup today vs. RHP Gonzalez behind Cueto. Heineman Belt Solano Crawford Longo on IF Dickerson Yaz Duggar in OF Wilmet DH.
    um, 3rd day in a row no Dubon. hmmnn
    btw according to F/G he is one of few plus defenders. giants D has not been very good so far either.

• willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 11:23 am

tentative early LU that is.

7. unca_chuck said, on August 3, 2020 at 1:10 pm

Is everybody throwing at the *Astros* or was it just LA?

• Frank Souze said, on August 3, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Eight games was overkill.
      Manfred was determined to eliminate the players initiative component out of the equation….. and did.
      Maybe as teams reach eliminated from the race status and or Covid continues to evolve, some players may just say fuck it and go on a head hunting/tagging spree….OR….. teams could roster the equal to the old Hockey goons for one and done…..Am I overthinking this Lol.
      I concur with the side that suggests the asstrohs need to feel the love

• willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 3:28 pm

Joe Kelly’s breaking ball is 86…fastball that he all of a sudden couldn’t control yet kept on throwing it up around batters’ heads—98 mph.
        8 games was good. Endangering someone’s life in batter box highly unprofessional

• willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 3:30 pm

you also don’t want unending retaliations either ala Jose Mesa and Vizquel, especially with DH in both leagues and pitchers not batting.

• Frank Souze said, on August 3, 2020 at 5:32 pm

I perceived the discussion to be if teams should retaliate against the Strohs for cheating?
        I don’t believe anyone supports intentionally throwing at directly at a batters melon..
        From the armpit to the ass is traditional – the ribs are ideal.
        Anyway – Its my belief the players know best how to manage themselves with this corrective action.

8. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 1:23 pm

They all should, but I’m old school and I can’t stand CHEATERS!!

9. Winder said, on August 3, 2020 at 2:04 pm

Love youtube

10. wilcojoe said, on August 3, 2020 at 2:17 pm

RIP Ralph Barbieri. I will never forget how he let me sit next to him in the new bleachers at Candlestick in ‘93 as a 16 year old, telling him that I wanted his job when I grew up. He didn’t speak down or patronize me in any way. He spoke to me like I was his peer. I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but he was THE voice of sports talk in the Bay Area for all of my childhood. Angels fly because they take themselves lightly. I will toast one in your honor tonight Razor.

• snarkk said, on August 3, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Paraphrasing Ralph’s regular sayings: two different things can be equally true.
      1. Ralph was a horse’s ass.
      2. But, he was definitely worth listening to, more often than not…

11. chipower9 said, on August 3, 2020 at 3:28 pm

M. Yastrzemski, CF
    A. Dickerson, RF
    D. Solano, 2B
    B. Belt, 1B
    E. Longoria, 3B
    W. Flores, DH
    B. Crawford, SS
    C. Tromp, C
    S. Duggar, LF

P – Johnny Shimmy

12. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Yeah like Snarkk mentioned Ralph could be a real horses ass at times.He had haters and those who loved him, with that raspy voice.Razor& MrT did have a huge following though.His back and forth rants with Sabean was classic stuff, like when he was badgering Sabes about the use of Armando Benitez was very entertaining and tense on Sabean’s end. He never backed down as a radio host, which I appreciated!
    Tolbert just heard of his death and chimed in, even though we all knew it was coming (Parkinson’s) it’s still a mule kick! RIP Ralph ..”Angels fly cause they take themselves lightly “
    I will toast a quarantini martini for you my man🍸

13. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:03 pm

And the hits just keep on coming!
    13 St Louis Cardinals players/coaches test positive for Coronavirus, 4 game series against the Tigers cancelled.
    Ooh 😮 you can imagine Daniel pulling his hair out with some choice expletives thrown in..

14. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Ralph almost singlehandedly helped turn KNBR into an all-sports station. It was a hybrid news radio/sports/and schlock music station before that. It had a powerful radio signal but no clear vision about what it was. They gave Ralph a sports show and it took off. The station then added other sports shows and the transition was eventually complete.
    I think the key thing for Ralph was that he was an intense Giants fan and he would boldly criticize the Giants organization and ask tough questions in interviews. Fans loved that.
    Over the years, however, Ralph got more arrogant and combative on the air, and also seemed to lose some interest in the job. Maybe that was early signs of his illness, who knows?
    He got to see the Giants win the 3-in-5, as we all did.
    He was eventually fired from KNBR, and then sued the parent company, claiming he was fired because the company wanted to get rid of an employee with a major illness. He won a huge financial settlement, and was well-set financially, I assume.

15. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Wilco, don’t look now but you just went back to back in the Flap HOF page. Not sure that’s ever been done before? I’ll have to check.
    I loved Ralph and Tolbert, they were great together. When Ralph got fired Tolbert got on his show and he couldn’t speak, then he started just crying. It was one of the most honest radio moments I’ve ever heard, I’ll never forget it. And then today when they said Tolbert had an announcement there was dead air for about 15 seconds and I swear to God I knew what he was coming. I know it’s crazy but when he finally started talking I just knew….And then he said it, Ralph had died.
    I pulled over and just had a moment.

16. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Hard to enjoy NBA these days, but 50 ft lobs from Lonzo Ball to Zion running floor for a dunk at rim are great.
    Ball has grown quite a bit as a player; I love pass first point guards and he has Jrue Holiday and Brandon Ingram to work with too. Nawlins is gonna be fun to watch.

17. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:35 pm

18. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:38 pm

if you guys ever heard those Ralph/Sabes interviews, especially before the first WS win, man they were must-listen radio. They were, uh, pretty direct with each other, something you don’t often hear unfold live in the radio

19. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Ralph adopted a son years back i don’t know how old he is now. Maybe 15? But my understanding is that he raised him on his own although it must have been tough the last couple of years with the Parkinson’s. After he got fired he took Cumulus to the cleaners I think he got 5-6 million in the settlement. Good for him. Fuck Cumulus…..

20. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:53 pm

lol, this is one of the best ones yet…..

YOU WON!

Fuck,

Congratulations!

You’ve been identified as our Patriot of the week and have won a set of our Official Trump-Pence 2020 Stickers FOR FREE.

All you have to do is contribute $10 and we’ll send you your FREE stickers. Just follow your secure link https://secure.winred.com/tmagac/free-kag-stickers below.

This offer is only for you, Fuck, so please, do not share this with anyone.

21. Winder said, on August 3, 2020 at 4:55 pm

i enjoyed Ralph he had a lot to say about the Giants, Got tired of him hocking pizza’s but bills must be paid. Also liked the early morning sports show with McPartlan(sp).

22. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 5:07 pm

“All you have to do is contribute $10 and we’ll send you your FREE stickers”

That’s a good example of the Trump family vision of reality.

23. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 5:17 pm

all Tolbert does is cry, lqtm

24. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 5:21 pm

ladies and gentlemen, our esteemed president. The dumbest fucking dumb fuck alive.

• Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 5:23 pm

“they may be good, they may be just okay or they may be great”
      Jesus fucking Christ what a moron.

25. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 5:23 pm

An end of an era at KNBR with the passing of Ralph, the biggest and most important voice in KNBR’s history as an all-sports station; and also the passing last year of Salty (also known as Baltimore Dave), the most frequent caller to KNBR, who brought a lot of Giants fan passion to his calls.

• zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 5:30 pm

Sometimes after a tough Giants loss, Salty could sound like his hair was on fire. Whichever KNBR show he had called into, the host would always make an effort to calm Salty down.

26. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:09 pm

Shoddy Giants defense leads to another run.

27. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Belt, the endless umpire, refuses to take whack at pitch on outside corner at knees with 2 strikes. Ump disagrees and he’s gone. That pitch is thrown totally against where any shift D is playing him of course.

Frank, NO I do not believe Dodgers or anyone else should be taking matters into their own hands and throwing at Astros hitters. Stros would surely retaliate and then you have more issues and potential injuries.
    It’s not the Drysdale era.

28. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Dodgers took their revenge best way possible–scoreboard. They walked into Houston and beat them twice.

29. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Tromp 2020!!

30. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Boom Tromp crushes meatball.
    Who else can knock one out tonite? It’s gonna take a few more like that.

31. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:23 pm

i LOVE having a catcher again who can hit the ball out of the park!!!!

32. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:24 pm

Yaz!!

33. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:24 pm

yaha Giants stop hitting ball on the ground they’ll rake this guy.

34. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:46 pm

Alright my last post 8:42 that was the last one of yesterday’s blog predicted Tromp would have a big series in Colorado and hit a couple of HR’s!! Well that’s 1.
    Good job Yaz as well with his 2 run shot!!

35. Carstie Clausen said, on August 3, 2020 at 6:50 pm

As all may have noticed of late, pitchers recently got into the habit of walking Yazman. On the second time around Chi Chi did not follow the formula and promptly got blasted. Though he may be somewhat of an adventure BEHIND the plate, Tromp at the plate is a whole other form of adventure. Didn’t take the Rox long to cap their starter. Bit of raking going on, as Willedav noted.

36. Macdog said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:05 pm

Dick bomb!

• willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:06 pm

I love this guy. He has some patience and can get on base in addition to all the power.

37. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:05 pm

Dick!!

38. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:06 pm

No Dickin around with the Dickster!!
    Great bomb to RF!!

39. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Can’t believe they’re pitcher only threw 28 pitches in 4 1/3 but gives up 4 runs with 3 bombs 💣

40. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Craw is very Bore Core.

41. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:30 pm

Arenado, of course.

42. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Damm that was a hit me fast ball above the Belt that Arreando launched into orbit ..
    4-3 new ballgame..

43. Carstie Clausen said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Boy did intuition read that one coming. At 85 pitches Cueto obviously flagging a bit, missing the plate and then giving up a single to Blackmon. Felt obvious that Arenado was going to tornado. Can’t blame that on Kapler, but here’s hoping he had somebody warming up. Still a bit early in the season for even seasoned veteran pitchers to maintain their efficiency as their count gets up there. Just had that feeling.

44. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:37 pm

should have been caught hit him right in the mitt. ugh

• willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:39 pm

and now game is tied after another defensive gaffe allows runner on 3b.
      rockies ain’t done hitting Peralta either.

45. Macdog said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Dick-E (no way that’s a triple).

46. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:39 pm

There goes the chance for a Shimmy win after Dickerson screwed up.Cant believe they ruled that a triple.

47. Macdog said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Now that’s an E.

48. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Jesus Christ the bad news bears defense strikes again!!!
    Terrible Defense to start this year!!

49. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Shoddy Giants defense leads to a bunch of runs.

50. xoot said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:47 pm

I don’t understand why Kruk and Kuip are trashing tromp instead of trashing dick for his horrible throw — what was it, 30 feet to the cutoff man? Tromp’s mistake was mainly an instinctive reaction to dick’s idiotic throw. And, earlier, dick’s juggling of the ball he tracked down at the wall was horrible, too. He can hit but he can’t play.

51. Carstie Clausen said, on August 3, 2020 at 7:51 pm

For years word around the NLW has been that no lead is safe in the Box of Rox. Now let’s hope that the adage also holds true for THEIR lead.

52. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:06 pm

I don’t know why Dickerson started in RF?
    Duggar should of played RF and Dickerson in LF where he has played more this year I believe?

• xoot said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:08 pm

he was born to DH. might keep him healthy, too

• sandog said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Radio guys mentioned talking to Kap about why he made that call. Explanation didn’t really make sense, but I was distracted, working on my chipping in the front yard.
      I need to take a more aggressive strike at the ball around the green. Shorter backswing too.

• Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:21 pm

over beers one evening on the deck my sister’s husband was SWEARING by some video MIckleson put out on youtube about chipping. Said it fixed his entire short game. I forgot about that convo till just now, you should see if you can find it on youtube (I should watch it too, my short game was below par last week)

• sandog said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Yeah—I’ve seen those and he explains stuff well.
        I’m basing my chipping on his instruction, but need to review the videos.

53. Flavor said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:18 pm

54. willedav said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:28 pm

man still alive Yaz up.

55. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:31 pm

Come on Dick!!
    You can do it!!

56. Macdog said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Awful loss. It’s going to be a long road trip.

57. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Frustrating loss to say the least, one that got away with shit defense!

58. alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:50 pm

I agree with Xoot totally on why Krukow was ripping Tromp calling it a rookie mistake not covering the plate!
    WTF Dickerson’s throw was 30 ft up the line heading into the dugout, the runner was going to score either way! Should have been a 2 error night for Dick with that charitable triple call ..

59. mrsprtdude said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Shit!!
    Thats all I got. This year will be torture. Our lineup so much more exciting. Our starters suck. Any completed 6 innings yet? Atlanta lost a starter for the year today. A good sort of good start from JC. Maybe they will give something good for him!

60. xoot said, on August 3, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Best of luck to Bozo, on the N Carolina coast.

61. Carstie Clausen said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:06 pm

Takeaways; We seem pretty well agreed it was on the defense, combined with mispositioning and Kap not yet sure how to arrange his bullies. In naval terms this season would be termed a shakedown cruise. Viewing, if that’s the word–the game on gameday, it was apparent that Cueto was flagging there when Blackmon singled.

A trip to the mound would have been the modus operandus of a cagey old manager at that point. He wouldda scanned Cueto’s eyes for deadset determination. Meanwhile, he would have had the pitching coach on the horn with the pen, staging the second most reliable of the bullies. Hesitation on the part of his starter and the gate opens. There are gates and there are floodgates. Right call and it would have been the former, ideally a guy with a very heavy pitch—under circumstances like that one–a dire necessity in the Box of Rox.

• zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:14 pm

He pulled Cueto real early on opening day and Cueto felt disrespected. He couldn’t yank Cueto tonight with a 4-1 lead in the 4th inning. He needs Cueto as a staff leader.

• zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Bochy wouldn’t have pulled Cueto in that situation.

• Macdog said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:23 pm

It was a 4-1 lead in the 6th inning.

• zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Thanks, I forgot. But I still stand by all my points. I don’t think Bochy would have pulled him there.

• zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:59 pm

A manager has to play the long game, too, sometimes. Cueto surely felt respected by his manager tonight, and the hope is it translates into confidence and trust between manager and ace going forward. We need Cueto feeling confident.

• Macdog said, on August 3, 2020 at 10:04 pm

I had no problem with leaving Cueto in either. They could’ve survived the Arenado HR, but the Dickerson drop that followed was the killer.

62. Carstie Clausen said, on August 3, 2020 at 9:16 pm

No need for despair. Game by game it is ever more clear that this bunch simply does not quit or even lollygaggle. Perhaps it’s the uncertainty factor as to who fits in and if so, where…Darwinian baseball…survival of the fittest. Struggles but not straggles. Rally and win. Rally and lose. Rally and keep on rallying. That’s an admirable quality rarely seen in Giants teams over the past few. Keep the baby, Faith.

This season looks to be a preview of coming attractions. That trade of Hamilton for Humphreys will not pay out this year as the kid is down with a medical issue (not covid) for the season (such as it is). Next year, along with Corry, Hjelle and Beede, he will likely be a possibility for The Show. Expect a bonafide MLB rotation in ’22.

63. zumiee said, on August 3, 2020 at 11:22 pm

The Braves’ ace went down with a torn Achilles today. He was just taking off to cover firstbase.

64. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2020 at 6:37 am

Another loss due to bonehead defensive lapses. But it is encouraging to see them battle even in the 9th. I do like that and the fact that they can score. Now they need to put together some clean fundamental baseball.

Get ’em today.

65. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2020 at 6:59 am

Yeah they should almost forgo batting practice and just do fundamental work outs, that defense needs to tighten up.Im sure they’re near the top of the league in errors for sure..

• willedav said, on August 4, 2020 at 7:11 am

yes simple stuff. Knock down groundball, hit cutoff man yada yada.
      Nice comeback, partly fueled by Rockies screw up on simple groundball, fumbled and then thrown away.
      Giving up final run on HR by Owings didn’t help either.

66. willedav said, on August 4, 2020 at 7:14 am

Obviously if the SP can go little longer/less need for pen guys. Seems at least one often gets into trouble with long ball. Poor defense only makes job harder.