2012 All Over Again

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 19, 2020

Belt, Fatso, Crawford………yesterday was a throwback game for the ages. Too bad they can’t do it more than once every few weeks. Fires are terrible here today, ash was falling on my car on the way to work. I didn’t check the air quality index but it has to be terrible. Wouldn’t be surprised if both baseball games in the Bay got canceled today…..

1. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:04 am

I hope you’re wrong on the Bore Core, and they can keep some semblance of respectability going at the plate. Crawford continues to shine in the field.

Air quality here in the foothills sucks, too. I want to get out on the motorcycle, but between the heat and smoke, no bueno.

Will be interesting when Zona comes to town. They have won like 13 of their last 17. With that in mind, as I said yesterday, it sets the table for us to sweep them. 😉 Wonder if we will see Bum (have not looked at their rotation or where they are in the rotation).

• Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:25 am

From the D-Backs site two days ago:

Left-hander Madison Bumgarner, who is on the injured list with a mid-back strain, threw 46 pitches in a simulated game Monday.

“I didn’t get a chance to watch him, but from all indications it went extremely well,” Lovullo said. “He’s exactly where we thought he would be. We’ll see what the next steps are. We’ll see how he recovers.”

When Bumgarner was placed on the injured list Aug. 10, the team indicated he was likely to miss two starts. The first one was Saturday and his next turn would have come this Thursday at Oakland.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:07 am

Thanks, Mac.

2. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:26 am

Angels pitching is pretty awful across board, among worst in AL for about every stat–runs hits bomb BBs WHIP yada yada. Bundy had been good until yesterday. um get em while you can

Really hope there wasn’t any intention behind pitches thrown near head of Trout; Maddon indicated he thought Anderson didn’t have control and let’s hope the issue is over and done with.

3. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:44 am

Bobby Bonds scored 613 runs (122.6 AVG) in his first 5 full seasons with the Giants, including highs of 134 (1970) and 131 (1973). Even more amazing is that in ’73 the Giants did not even have an 80 RBI guy other than Bonds himself. He had HOF talent. Supposedly drank too much…

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:56 am

It doesn’t usually get mentioned as one of the Giants dumb trades, but it was. Murcer was good, but Bonds was Rickey Henderson level.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:21 am

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:45 am

Thanks, Loo, I knew some of that, but not all. Those bios are well done, prosaic, but lots of detail. “Bonds is the only player to get 200 or more hits and strikeout more than 160 times in the same season.” I love that stat.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:28 am

Bonds was no doubt on a HOF trajectory. Yes. The booze. Mays, compassionately and kindly, mentions it in ’24.’ Speaking of which, reading ’24’ regalvanized interest in my own book. So I sent a copy to John Shea. I’m sure I’ll hear from him. A while ago, he sent me a handwritten note, not sure how/why. Maybe because I had sent him WORLD SERIOUS.

4. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:57 am

Today in 1965 Jim Maloney of Reds no hit Cubs at Wrigley. Walked 10 (most ever for no no I think) and threw 187 pitches.

• willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:02 am

ken Holtzman of cubs threw one exactly 4 years later vs Braves.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:11 am

Maloney was a stud.
      Done in early by injuries…

5. James said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:04 am

Has anybody missed watching Kevin Gausman bat?

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:47 am

I’m totally fine with the DH and knew we wouldn’t miss watching pitchers bat.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:12 am

It isn’t about pitchers hitting or not, for me. It is about the change in strategy for the game, such as decision a NL manager must make if his pitcher is pitching a gem, but the team is in a situation with runners on, and pitcher coming up. Does the manager pinch-hit for the pitcher when he is cruising, or stick with the pitcher, etc.

I will never be a fan of the DH. I do realize that it is probably only a matter of time before the DH is instituted permanently in both leagues, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

FUCK the DH.

• Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:09 am

Not sure I’ve ever seen Kevin Gausman bat.

6. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:51 am

Here in Minnesota I had opportunity to watch Kenta Maeda’s last three of 8 innings of no-hit ball vs. the Brewcrew. It was a thing of beauty–his command and control was pure precision. The dink flare that Eric Sogard hit against him in the top of the 9th might could have been caught by a more tuned-in second-baseman. The ball barely skimmed over the top of his outstretched glove. Two broken-bat infield grounders advanced Byron Buxton to third and then ultimately the speedy centerfielder scrambled home to beat the throw in the bottom of the twelfth. Exciting baseball.

Curiously, our submariner Rogers’ twin brother (Tyler and Taylor) who closes for Minnesota, had pitched the night before and according to the brother-in-law tends to be miserable in a second consecutive outing–otherwise he’s pretty much killer. They look a lot alike but are totally different in their pitching styles. Much reminiscent of Gott’s consecutive breakdowns, Rogers let the dogs in when he relieved Maeda after Kenta (at some 115 pitches) gave up that dinkum to Sogard. Down 3-0 facing Maeda, the Brewers tied the game and brought it into nail-biting extras.

One takeaway is that had the grossly overloaded LaBumbos seen the wisdom in hanging onto this gem of a starter, their post-season prospects would have approached overwhelming. Without Maeda’s mastery, they do have an aperture of vulnerability in their rotation.

• willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:09 am

Maeda was good get for Twins. Supposedly he was disappointed in how Dodgers used him and that they cost him some $$ on incentives as he made fewer starts and was used in relief more.

7. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:31 am

When Mays left the Giants, I think Bonds lost his way.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:34 am

totally agree

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:12 am

The bio Loo posted paints a more complicated picture. Some long-standing self destructiveness and irrational owner/GM decision making played their parts, e.g., see the reasoning behind G. Paul’s trade of Bonds, which started the near yearly changes of scenery that probably didn’t help.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:16 am

well, yeah, reality is always more ‘complicated’ than any narrative

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:52 am

And the bio with those extra bits is merely a narrative 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Bonds said that himself.

8. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:34 am

I am listening to Hurricane by Bob Dylan on YouTube. It’s tragically ironic how relevant the song is, as if written yesterday. Here’s the supreme irony: No radio station, NONE, would play it on the air today because Dylan uses the word “nigger” on it, though the song is an anti-racist anthem in the extreme. We’ve reached an irrational place. The BBC had a big fracas (frah-cah as they say over there) because a news report allowed the word, again not to endorse it, if anything just the opposite.

• Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:04 am

I heard it recently on one of the college stations I listen to, the N word was bleeped out.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:15 am

… which is preposterously hypocritical. Do they bleep it from rap songs?

9. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:37 am

Ain’t it just like Krazy Kokonuts to jump in here throwing grenades over the transom after a prolonged absence — and then walk away again for a few months

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:39 am

Just be careful if you type ‘nuggets’

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:03 am

Lob away PK…good to see you…grenades and all…

10. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:45 am

Really was pretty stupid of Kapler to bring In Anderson with the way Garcia easily handled there hitters in the 8th on only 10 pitches! I just don’t get it when he think he needs to use another arm to waste out of the BP?
    Kapler even said, well I think Shaun was alittle jittery since he hasn’t pitched in 5 days?So why bring him in?

Now I believe he did bring him in even though he denied it,was to throw at Trout to protect the drilling that Longo took earlier 97 in the back.It wasn’t like Anderson was wild to start with his 1st pitch was 95 straight down the middle for a strike, then the next one just misses his head,and the 3rd one behind him just missing his helmet again.
    Kapler just can’t take an easy win early and head home, he has to make it hard with extra unnecessary drama.
    Credit to Trout for taking the high road even though I’m sure he was burning inside,and for Maddon who said kind of lamely that this guy is young with no experience ( he does have a lot of innings in Joe) and shouldn’t be out there.They have another series with them up here I believe, so the fireworks should continue..

11. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:55 am

So, yesterday at Original Italian Pizza, OIP, I grab two slices, one plain [no, I never say ‘cheese’] the other so-called meat lovers’, in other words pepperoni and sausage and annoying onions, while doing laundry next store at Colonial, and BOOM the Jints are on ESPN. Ok, you caught me off-guard, so I’ll let my guard down and watch a bit of this faux phony unseasonable season. Yaz, who bats like Gramps, smacks one against the guy with the best WHIP in MLB. Then Trevor Cahill, who looks entirely forgettable and unremarkable, obliges with giving up a homer, to keep the pitchers’ streak of what-is-it 20 games in a row, a franchise record. Ho-hum. Back to the dryers. I learn later SFG won. Ho-hum redux. Regarding Kapler, I said this over the winter: listen to him: he talks like the fuckn VP of marketing with remarks laced with lingo, business cliches, euphemisms, claptrap, bullshit bingo. A couple days ago, a Bay Area columnist (Dieter someone??) wrote an excellent piece saying Zaidi was the only person who was ever going to ever give Kap another chance to manage, that Kap is a toady, a yes man, that managers are now figureheads, that the analytics crew runs the show, blah blah, and that Kap is totally lost as an in-game manager. And no one, anywhere, to my knowledge, ever spelled out the sexual misconduct in the Dodgers’ minors from which Farhan and Kapstone averted their eyes.

Sorry about the smoke.

Don’t send it here.

12. zumiee said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:05 am

“This is why I continue to buy CDs for the artists and music I really like, as it is the best revenue stream for them (sans touring).”

Yeah, there are a LOT of musical acts struggling right now. They’re not asking for pity, but they do appreciate it if people can buy a CD or t-shirt or whatever.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2020 at 1:42 pm

I have also watched a number of live streamed shows, and then donated to the artist after the show via PayPal. Hey, I love music, especially live music, so I am going to do what I can to support the artists l like.

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Same here.

13. zumiee said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:08 am

Bobby Bonds played in the wrong era for his career. He got so much GRIEF from people about his strike outs, which were a big deal in those days, and would be nothing nowadays.

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:31 am

Not only did he K 189 times and get 200 hits in 1970, he also managed to walk 77 times that year. That is just awesome, in its own way, as beautiful a line as one of Barry’s.

14. snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:11 am

Kapler is likely a placeholder until this detritus in the organization passes through, and the young talent below becomes mature enough to play. He’s not long for the role, from the look of it. But, I don’t give him a lot of blame for the poor performance. Some, not a lot. He can’t know what many of these guys can do until he sees them do it, or not do it. A talent-poor team will perform poorly…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:19 am

does Casey Stengel merit his standing with the uber-talented NYY teams he had? wasn’t it his games to lose?

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Pawlie, how would Casey have intervened to lose games? By having Mickey Mantle bunt too much? Bringing in Bobby Shantz at all the wrong times? Surely, Casey could have made more of the Mets in 4 years, after all the success he brought to the Yankees . . . .

15. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:17 am

Yeah, that being said, i’ve never seen a guy who has so little feel for the nuances of the game. I swear, most of the folks here could do a better job.

Isn’t analytics all about matchups? He has missed some glaring matchup issues that bit him in the ass.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:20 am

he sure left a bad taste in Philly, and that taste was NOT a Gino’s cheesesteak

16. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:43 am

IF Kapler is indeed behind Trout stuff that is just monumentally stupid and something out of LaRussa playbook.
    Come on, Mike Trout is about the only reason anyone would give a flying F or care to watch two of the worst teams in all of MLB.

Beside the obvious—NO team with a star player of that magnitude is going to take it lying down. So all you are doing is endangering your players, and if Angels were to respond in kind that would be Yaz. Any Yaz injury of course ends Giants season once and for all.
    Did the Giants really think someone was throwing at Longoria???

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:55 am

Throwing at players intentionally should be rooted out of the game. It’ll be missed as much as seeing catchers get blown up at the plate — not at all.

• willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 12:11 pm

Pavs did quote Kapler on twitter: “We don’t throw at people. It’s not who we are.”
      so let’s hope that’s accurate and nothing goes further.

17. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 11:53 am

I met Bobby Bonds a few times in San Carlos where he lived at a bar he hung out all the time called the Playhouse Lounge.I was just a young kid just turning 21 and nervous and he was one of my idols,so I went up to him and asked him if I could buy him a beer even though he had a highball in front of him already.Ill never forget him saying that took some guts kid let me buy u the first round and then we started shootin the shit about baseball! Yes he was a heavy drinker( hell I should know)but a great guy who gave me some of his time every time I saw him in there after that! BB25 a great player and a better human being.His death was hard on me cause he died on my Birthday Aug 23 maybe that was meant to be as well..

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Cool story, Kat.

18. sandog said, on August 19, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Great story! My all time favorite Giant. I’ve mentioned before on here I met him in the parking lot walking into the ’89 All Star Game in Anaheim. He was alone and I was with 3 friends. He was a bit taken aback and frosty at first when we approached him, but then warmed up and chatted with us a bit as we walked in.

And I don’t think Kapler ordered the Code Red on Trout. Just doesn’t seem at all like the type to me. It was bizarre though. I could see a young pitcher thinking he could earn respect in the locker room for paying them back for Longoria taking a painful one in the back–but TWO fastballs at Trouts’ head??? That was wild. I saw where Maddon at least said that he thought he just couldn’t control his fastball.

Interested to see what happens tonight.

19. Winder said, on August 19, 2020 at 12:51 pm

It broke my heart when we traded Mays, I couldn’t believe we did it. Over the years Stoneham traded a bunch of fantastic baseball players and the Giants were usually on the losing end. Murcer was a hell of a ball player and probably one of the best players we got out of all his trades.

20. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 12:53 pm

agree on all this

21. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 12:56 pm

the three Bay Area sports figures that I would see ALL THE TIME at Bay Meadows were Bobby Bonds, Tom Rathman and Harris Barton. They hung out in the Clubhouse, not the Turf Club which made them that much cooler to me.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Good stuff.

Didn’t Bonds hit a GS in his first game, maybe even first AB? Signed, Casey “Bunt Mantle” Stengel

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Yes he did PK, June 25,1968 his callup..
      But it was his 3rd AB .He first grounded out, then was hit by a pitch, but in his 3rd AB he hit a Grand Slam.
      He was just called up from Phoenix after tearing up the Pacfic Coast League batting .367 and ironically had already hit 3 Grand Slams there!

He was quoted as saying :4 Grandslam’s in a season is special..,

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 3:10 pm

Jeez, between 1955-58 he did actually have 5 SH! Who knows how many times he failed to move the runner along.

23. sandog said, on August 19, 2020 at 2:20 pm

I’m not ready to throw dirt on Bum yet. He’ll get back on track and I wish we would have signed him for the same $ the Snakes did. Especially if we’re not gonna tear this sucker down and do a full rebuild.

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 2:57 pm

The one thing that does give me pause about dismissing Bum is Kershaw, who seems to be injured every year and has lost about as much on the fastball, yet just keeps on performing.

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 3:35 pm

FWIW, I think Kershaw is better handling losing his fastball than Bummie is. So far at least. Being in AZ ain’t gonna help Bummie at all though.

24. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 2:44 pm

1. Austin Slater (R) DH
    2. Donovan Solano (R) 2B
    3. Mike Yastrzemski (L) CF
    4. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    5. Wilmer Flores (R) 1B
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Darin Ruf (R) LF
    8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    9. Chadwick Tromp (R) C

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Apparently Belt needs to start whining to Cookie Cutter Monster about getting the same respect Craw’s now receiving.

25. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Saving the money on pitchers by trading M and letting other 2 walk is fine
    Looking at current status of staff, money isn’t the issue, it’s talent. And it would have been worse over 162 than in short season, when it’s obviously bad enough. Until Z/H fix this, all the hitters in world aren’t gonna matter.

26. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Do u guys think the Giants would trade Yaz ( hey I know it’s stupid and is everyone’s fan favorite) for a chip are 2 prospect for their BP needs? Strike while u get the most in return?

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:57 pm

I’ve been wondering that myself, but I’m pretty sure we would get low-balled. And it’s hard to evaluate minor leaguers as they aren’t really playing anywhere.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:47 pm

I too have thought about this, but don’t see it happening. I think they will see him as a piece to bridge between now and 2022 when the kids show-up.

27. snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:25 pm

The Air quality index of 100-150 is “unhealthy”.
    We are now at 185 in the East Bay.
    That means I can go into my closet, smoke a Cohiba, and take in fewer particulants than outside…

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:58 pm

“Don’t let the smoke get in your eyes, don’t let those crabs crawl up your thighs…” Slight variation on an old standard.

Just viewed some pics of those lightning-strike fires. Nasty. Still liking the idea of Cali, with its still massively overcrowded jail/penal system offering non-dangerous inmates a deal they couldn’t refuse—five days off the sentence for one full day removing dead wood and dry underbrush from state and federal forested lands. Only experienced individuals with no tendencies towards violence would get their hands on chainsaws. They would also get enough pay to cover self-insurance expenses in case of accidents or injuries.

Who the fuck else would do it without busting the state budget in the process? When I’m home in northern Minnesota, one of the things I do in retirement is keep the nearby woods pretty much clean. The Germanic and Nordic countries in Europe are big on forest maintenance. Guessing the U$ “authorities” tend to be slow learners.

28. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Yeah I have to shake my head with my weather app..
    Unhealthy Air for Sensitive Groups???
    WTF..who is not sensitive to gagging smoke, watering eyes, shorten of breath, no sleep due to the heat and smoke as well, high humidity, muggy conditions needing an extra shower 🚿 like Kathleen Turner in “Body Hest”
    Gee I guess I do fall in that extra sensitive group after all…

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:59 pm

Sensitive when it comes to Kathleen Turner?

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:12 pm

Oh no i would never have sensitive skin if I’m showering with Kathleen Turner in her heydays.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Everything’s just a little askew.
      Pretty soon people start thinking the old rules are no longer in effect…

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:27 pm

Kat, I remember when Body Heat came out.
      That movie really put you in that scene set, you felt like you were there sweltering and sweating in that place and in that heat wave in the South, wherever the hell it was.
      She’s not that way now by a long shot, but the young Kathleen Turner was absolutely smokin’ in that movie.
      I seem to remember a bathtub scene in the original movie that was crazy hot for an R movie or whatever it was, in those days. I was sweating just watching it. I haven’t seen it since in TV replays; they must have snipped it out for TV — way too racy. To this day, I still remember the Ned Racine character’s name, without Wiki. Ned (William Hurt), the poor bastard. The wrong head was doing his thinking. He had no chance against the evil charms of Matty…

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:52 pm

29. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:56 pm

It was ok this morn in the Creek, but the wind must have changed directions. It is horrible now,

30. James said, on August 19, 2020 at 4:59 pm

Let ’em play in N95’s

31. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:18 pm

weather was awful in Palo Alto this morning, ash on my car falling on the way to work. Seems much better her right now. Assuming it’s just a wind shift. According the the weather index # they should play unless something weird happens.

32. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:20 pm

it would be mildly amusing if they canceled a game because the air was *unhealthy for sensitive groups* but these fuckers are steamrolling right through Covid on a normal day…….

33. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:22 pm

they can play in this no problema

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Now I understand what “east bay” means…

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:40 pm

moments like this one is when I say *the flap has always been fucking worth it.* Some day you might make it out here my man. It could still happen.

34. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:24 pm

Casey Mize going tonight. Really interested to see how he does

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Yeah I’d be interested to see how Bart does as well.
      Now with Mize up, Bart’s the last of the top 4 not in the show..

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 5:55 pm

total fucking inept bullshit he isn’t up here, too

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 6:14 pm

Agreed.
        He can call a game as badly as Tromp and Circumstance (Heilemann or whatever) can…

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 6:36 pm

and this whole*ruin his confidence nonsense* goddamn we are dealing with men here not 5th graders

• willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 6:56 pm

Bart did miss some time with an injury, no? First season or last yea, to his hand maybe?

35. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 6:46 pm

can you imagine being a normal person and being a part of this *task force*?
    Donald J. Trump Unsubscribe
    6:29 PM (15 minutes ago)
    to me

Trump Pence Make America Great Again

Fuck,

Have you seen the line-up for the Democrat Convention tonight?

Just when I thought this pathetic event couldn’t get more CORRUPT, they decide to bring in CROOKED Hillary, Crazy Nancy, Pocahontas, Phony Kamala, and Lyin’ Obama all in ONE NIGHT.

All of these Radical Democrats HATE me and they HATE YOU, Fuck. They would love nothing more than to see us FAIL, which is why it’s going to take all hands on deck to make sure that never happens.

I’m calling on YOU to step up and join the 2020 Presidential Defense Task Force I cannot stress enough how vital your support is right now.

This is our chance to show them that the SILENT MAJORITY will reign.

This is so important that I’ve ACTIVATED a 600%-MATCH on your contribution when you join the Task Force.

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 6:50 pm

I still want to know who/what is doing a 600% “match”.
      Putin?…

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:28 pm

exactly.Most of it is probably just going into Trump’s whore-pee fund for after he gets beaten in the election. Can you imagine how many whores he’s gonna watch pee on each other in Belarus or where the fuck ever once all this is done????>

36. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Angels leadoff guy Fletcher is good looking hitter. If they ever get Andrelton Simmons back at SS and move him to 2b plus Rendon that’s hella IF.

37. snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:00 pm

I’m headed outside for a few minutes.
    AQI is down to 113, that’s barely “unhealthy” air. I should do a 5K for kreissakes.
    The good news about Covid is that since you’re wearing a mask, now you’ve already taken care of the smoke in the air. If the locusts fly in or it starts raining frogs, I’m going to head back in…

38. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:04 pm

April 16 last season Bart fractured metacarpal on left hand after getting beaned playing for Jose Giants. Was supposed to miss 4-6 weeks; wound up playing total of 57 games at San Jose High A ball before late promotion to AA Richmond.

39. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:05 pm

Yaz cracked that, off LHP too. Trout covers ground for a guy his size.

40. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Cracks me up that they still show Pujols as a GG wiinner.
    It was 10 freakin years ago!!

41. Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Kerry Crowley tweeted today: SF Giants fans may not love it, but I think it would be cool if Albert Pujols tied Willie Mays with his 660th home run at Oracle Park.

He’s right about one thing, this Giants fan would not love it.

42. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:26 pm

The cardboard would retaliate.

43. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:26 pm

If Thom Brennaman, and come on he should be fired for the way he spells his first name alone, isn’t canned tonight then nothing you say on the air matters anymore. Nobody says fag that way if he doesn’t have a deep seeded deep rooted idiotic bias. Fire him tonight.

44. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:28 pm

2019 timeline on Bart:
    Began season 4/4 in San Jose, injured 4/15 returned to action 6/4.
    Promoted to AA Richmond first game 8/9 season ended 8/31. Got off to slow start, 5 for his first 32 before picking up last 2 weeks.
    so that’s last time he played in real minor league game, almost a year ago.

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:34 pm

WillieD, ridin’ the anti-BART now train all by himself in very fine fashion.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:40 pm

look man not being able to play against real competition was my fucking argument ALL ALONG. Welcome aboard (though you’re late). He should have been playing since day 1 of this bullshit.

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:48 pm

I may have misinterpreted WillieD’s point, since he’s argued against bringing up Bart. After watching the Molina – Posey nonsense, I’ve been aboard all along.

• willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:02 pm

my take is simply the expectations for Bart are overblown and have been since baseball reopened. It’s tough enough to hit ML pitching even for those who have been up here all along, let alone being stuck in ST #2 and then exiled off to Sac for almost a month.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:21 pm

of course his expectations are overblown, that’s standard for a prospect. But the Giant had a chance to bring him up THIS YEAR and develop him in the bullshit year at the ML level. They froze and couldn’t pull the trigger. Terrible. And he’s been stuck playing fucking long toss and beating off in Sacramento all *season* or wherever the fuck the taxi cab squad is milling around.

45. James said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:39 pm

I wish Cueto had been part of the glory years. Maybe it’ll seem that way a few years from now.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:42 pm

*glory years* are consider good. How could any of these years be considered *glory years*? This post makes no sense.

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:51 pm

I meant that I wish he’d been part of 2010 -14 run because he’s a cool player.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:18 pm

ok got it. That is more clear your post was confusing.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:57 pm

In a sense Cueto was part of the glory years, when his Cincinnati Reds got shocked at home by the upstart Giants who went on to win all the marbles. If recall is correct he was naaasty against SF in game one of the playoffs.

46. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:39 pm

HEAVY pitch count on Cueto–60 in three. Classic confrontation with a pair of ducks on the pond and facing MLB’s #1 hitter, Mike Trout, Johnny of the long-locks threads the needle when it counts the most. He’s one helluva competitor. The phones will ring.

47. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Hey Flavor, Did Thom say Fag Capital the World?And what city is he talking about?With a hot mic 🎤 on oops 😬.

48. Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Another Sandoval bomb!

49. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:53 pm

pulling the ball will play here yeah!
    Good for Wilmet.

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:08 pm

Yeah nobody better pulling HR balls here then Jeff Kent.

50. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:54 pm

Flores Bombs away!!
    3 run jimmyjack

51. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 7:54 pm

Mr Ed sez: whhilllmer!!!

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:04 pm

• Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:05 pm

Neigh Hey!

52. Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Austin power!

53. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Lucky 13 goes yard!
    Giants should invite Angels to stay weekend

54. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Slater Tater!!
    Ball was crushed!

55. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:19 pm

Mr. Ed is one happy horse 🐴 right now!

56. Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Another good Stanford man moment. They breed fine steeds down on The Farm…….

• Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:48 pm

57. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:25 pm

Liking me some Slater. Delighted to see him back in in the attack. Just checked out the 27 Y.O. SF 4th rounder. Despite a lowish BA in his first few with the team in part-time play, his OBP has been consistently in the .333 range–nice. Looks like he’s coming into his own–an ac-chew-all homegrown outfielder who has been patiently developed and now appears to be a fine leadoff man. His OPS is well over 1.000. He’s coming into his second (astrological) return of Saturn as he hits 28 in December. Astrologers of the more serious type contend that guys enter their full maturity at that point in their lives. Seems like that’s happening right at Oracle.

58. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Yeah like Shimmy says: I feel like a new man with this TJ surgery arm!
    He’s pitched great, always a kick to watch, I will miss him if they trade him. That contract will be hard to swallow even for other teams,so if he ends up staying that’s fine with me, atleast he knows how to pitch consistently and gets outs!!!

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Way he handled Trout tonight those phones will be ringing off the hook. If he stays we get to keep on loving him. If he goes the payoff in prospects due for The Show in ’22 better be spectacular.

59. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:28 pm

He just needs to stay on the field.

60. snarkk said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:38 pm

Funny how these folks who get caught saying nasty shit on air like Brennaman tonight, who didn’t know his mic was hot, apologize and say that’s really “not who I am”. Like some doppelganger mysteriously dropped in and laid down the insult or the slur. Same thing as politicians saying that the racist, misogynist, lunatic crap constantly emanating from the White House and Republican party “is not who America is”. Well, hell yes it is, a large part of it, otherwise that malevolent person would not be in the Oval Office defiling it every day…

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:47 pm

it’s ludicrous that anyone is dumb enough to buy the apologies. Just once I’d like to see a pussy like Brennaman say “you know what, I got caught. I hate gay people. Fuck you.” There would at least be the lowest level of respect for that type of honesty.

61. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:45 pm

With his 107th pitch Cueto does some fishin and catches him a nice, juicy trout.

62. James said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Good to see the ump ring up Trout there. Probably the only Giants pitcher to get that call.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:49 pm

Ump’s call…Arethra sang it best: “R E S P E C T”.

63. zumiee said, on August 19, 2020 at 8:59 pm

Relievers that come in and walk a bunch of guys. Driving fans crazy since 1870.

64. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Yeah Suarez 2 walks a basehit run scored as Cueto’s thinking what’s it take to get me a win!
    Thank god Caleb gets the K there helping Cueto’s dream of a W alive..

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:13 pm

Baragar is maybe beginning to settle down somewhat from his early-season rookie yips. Could also be he should have been the first choice. Yo-yo man Suarez maybe should have opened a clean inning without someone dancing on second as a welcome back to The Show present.

65. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:10 pm

Kapler does NOT know to handle a bullpen. Case in point: Suarez. Been on the Sactown yo-yo this season and along the line they decided he’s not a starter so goes into the relief role. So the guy gets to face an old pro like Pujols with his own walk and Cueto’s 3rd double given up on base. Case of nerves, most likely. Not sure of himself and his stuff. Kapler doesn’t like to use bullies two nights in a row, but Anderson might have been a better choice. Angels already a bit leery of him…or maybe even Selman, though he’d be better for the 7th or 8th.

66. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Unusual for K. to be running out Baragar in a second inning of work. Of course he faced only one batter in the 6th, but nevertheless maybe, just maybe, Kapler has advanced one notch on the learning curve. At least he got his first batter of the seventh.

67. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:28 pm

Solano,Yaz&Flores get those 2 runs back along with Longoria’s sac fly on just another routine amazing play by Trout..

68. willedav said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Angels are awful but Trout sure is fun to watch. That was a nice diving grab and he made good play on a deep ball earlier.

69. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Pence back to an even .100 if anyone really cares!
    Oh I guess Kap would he would say it’s a hard hitting 100..

70. zumiee said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:39 pm

Go figure Rogers. Sometimes he looks unhittable, and sometimes he looks like he’s throwing batting practice.

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Only 1 HR, 2 BBs and a lot of ground balls and Ks. That’s why they’ll stick with him a while.

71. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Rogers seems to be settling down–getting over his rookie yips after that long sojourn through the pipeline. Gotta credit Kapler for steadying in on making him the prime setup man doing the 8th. The different look of that submarine makes for a major mental jump for hitters–something they haven’t seen much in their careers.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:06 pm

His pitches all look so straight to me.
      Looks so hittable from my living room…

72. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:51 pm

• James said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:55 pm

The Brennaman Boogie

73. Macdog said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Two in a row! A W for Johnny C! And no home runs allowed!

74. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 9:53 pm

How about that Mel Allen!
    The Giants found a guy who can pitch a clean 9 th!!
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

75. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Wilmet’s looking like an awful good Z move at 2 yrs./$6M and an option for 2022.
    Just have to manage his defense and playing time…

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2020 at 10:13 pm

Agree Loo,, Wilbur can feed Mr.Ed anytime in my book!
      Huge clutch hits for the club,fielding? wellll Wilbur shaky like Solano but u have to play the hot hand and those 2 along with Yaz&Slater for sure!!