A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Off Season Spending

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 4, 2020

Word is the Giants are interested in Ozuna? Eh, I don’t know about that one. I don’t see why the Giants, or any team actually, will go out and spend big money this off season. Nobody knows what next season is going to look like. And until we get fans back in the stands the owners aren’t going to spend money.

What is spring training going to look like? When is the season going to start? When will fans be coming back and at what capacity?

These are all legitimate questions and I think the Giants are far more likely to go the dumpster diving than they are going to be getting into contract with a coveted free agent.

_____________________________________________________

Carson today saying goodbye to Zoey. Or maybe it’s *hello* soon, I don’t take for granted any more days this cat is with us.

1. willedav said, on December 4, 2020 at 7:13 am

I’d say Giants are year away from signing someone like this; by then hopefully they’d have better idea of how far away prospect hitters are. Z has tendency to say all kinds of p/r fluff things about who Giants are interested in and competing that rarely come to fruition.
    If baseball was able to make it through 2020, cautiously optimistic 2021 will be much better. Wondering more about what minors will look like overall, where Giants teams will be, and who will be on them. San Jose is great place to see a game and without all the traffic less than half hour away.

2. chipower9 said, on December 4, 2020 at 7:31 am

I had heard that they are interested, but mainly if the DH is instituted in the Sr. Circuit. I would be surprised if they sign him for 2021.

And yes, all of your questions are valid, Craig. Who knows what the hell the baseball landscape will look like. I am hopeful that it will move to some semblance of normalcy, given the impending vaccines.

Hope springs eternal. Play Ball!

3. chipower9 said, on December 4, 2020 at 7:31 am

Pawlie – saw your post last thread about your new book. I am almost finished with my current book (a work of fiction – Ender’s game – first read it back in the 80s, I think) so purchased your new book. It is next in the queue.

Hope you are well, my friend. Say, a week or so ago a friend told me he had heard (rumors, you know and I hope it is not true) that Finnerty’s was closing. Please tell me it isn’t so.

• Bozo said, on December 4, 2020 at 9:11 am

The little fishing village I live in is mentioned in the book Ender’s Game (I don’t think it was mentioned in the movie). They have it as a remote launching pad area on Earth.

• chipower9 said, on December 4, 2020 at 9:57 am

Hey Clown – that’s cool re: Ender’s Game. (I have not seen the movie.) What is the village name?

Hope all is well for you and yours my friend.

• Bozo said, on December 4, 2020 at 10:19 am

Stumpy Point NC. It’s been awhile since I read the book but I think they take off from here after Ender vacationed back home on earth.

4. willedav said, on December 4, 2020 at 8:33 am

Offense wasn’t Giants problem 2020. No fewer than 7 guys had OPS above .800 (including Wilmet Ruf and slater), with Craw at .792. Only real bat draggers among every day regulars were Longo Dubon and of course young Mr. Bart, and Posey should be way better than .609 OPS hitter. Giants scored 5th most runs in NL, 7th in HRs (!) 6th OB and 5th in slugging. How well those hold up over 162, mm questionable.

Pitching is different story. Cueto (in final year of contract) Gausman Webb and ? for SPs. Remember too SF got to play dozen games vs. Rangers Mariners and Angels last year. Those teams would be replaced by NL Central and East teams that would be significantly better. Also 2021 sched means more of Pads and Dodgers, two good hitting teams that would be among best overall in entire league. Keeping run differential near even as they did in 2020 seems like real reach without adding quality depth to pitching rather than just more HR hitters.

5. willedav said, on December 4, 2020 at 8:46 am

Another question about next year would be where athletes fall in regards to priorities for getting vaccines. Reading something in NYT this morning that should say 70% of Americans be vaccinated by summer 2021, many activities might be able to return closer to normal. By April, how many ballplayers would that include?

6. Carstie Clausen said, on December 4, 2020 at 9:04 am

Read today that Biden plans on extending facemask possibly also lockdown 100 days post inauguration. If so, that would go through April. I’m sure if this indeed is the case that MLB owners will act accordingly.

• chipower9 said, on December 4, 2020 at 10:04 am

Stix – I have read several articles on the mask-wearing in the first 100 days. None of them mention a nationwide lockdown. I do not see that happening.

I see lockdowns happening at the state and local level. CA’s governor just instituted a regional evaluation based on ICU bed availability. If any of the five regions fall below 15% availability, they go into a three-week lockdown.

7. alleykat69 said, on December 4, 2020 at 10:01 am

Latest dumpster dive bum the Giants are interested in is pitcher Dan Straily a washed up 32 year old who last pitched for the Lotte Giants in the 1 from column A, 2 from column B league in Japan..

• Bozo said, on December 4, 2020 at 10:27 am

Maybe if the dude played for the Yomiuri Giants at least.

8. djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 10:36 am

I’m having a delayed reaction to “a room with a lot of shit in it”.
    That is awesome…

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 11:39 am

thank you. I am surprised that one went as overlooked as it did

9. Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 12:11 pm

Lo Duca not to happy with the most recent Rosario ride, lulz

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 12:13 pm

lol Lo Duca already deleted the tweet. I still had twitter open, this is what it said

Paul Lo Duca
      @paulloduca16
      19m
      Joel Rosario just stiffed the 7 at Aqueduct. Never rode him a touch and ran 4th. Straight stiff.

10. chipower9 said, on December 4, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Latest I have seen on the possibility of a universal DH next year….sounds like it isn’t likely. I sure as fuck hope so…I hate the fucking DH.

Here, let me tell you how I REALLY FEEL:

I HATE THE FUCKING DH…

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 12:24 pm

did you even notice it last year? Didn’t seem to be an issue, NL did it seamlessly.

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 12:28 pm

I barely noticed the 3 batter rule…

• chipower9 said, on December 4, 2020 at 12:52 pm

I did. It takes away decision-making from the manager. I don’t like it. Period.

If I had my way, I would ban it from the game entirely. Just my opinion.

But unfortunately, the majority of the players like it because it creates positions for over the hill old fucks. It will probably be globally rolled-out after the next collective bargaining agreement.

• willedav said, on December 4, 2020 at 2:17 pm

also allowed SF to have likes of Solano and Wilmet in lineup at same time and only one needed a glove on.

11. willedav said, on December 4, 2020 at 12:29 pm

mm I did notice what looks like quite nice (possibly leather?) open suitcase on the table in top corner of young SD pic.
    I was in suitcase biz in those days, schlepping them around large whse and delivering them to the dozen or so local stores the company owned. There was a ton of good leather vendors and bags briefcases and wallets then.

12. xoot said, on December 4, 2020 at 1:08 pm

It’s one thing to prepare for no DH and another to adjust if the pandemic requires adjustment. A shortened season with regional divisions could return. One never knows, do one? And some of the rich teams, like the Giants, might take advantage of the peculiar, possibly risk-averse market this winter to sign a big FA or two at a bargain rate. Multi-year deals may be hard to find. And, of course, if the 2021 season does get shortened, the salaries for the year will almost certainly get pro-rated again. Strange times.

The other day, during senior hour at my local grocery store, I saw a fellow shopper wearing what looked like an astronaut helmet. As I walked to my car, I also happened to see him struggling to get into the front seat of his SUV with it on.

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 2:26 pm

the issue is, what if the season isn’t shortened but they don’t allow fans back in till July? Or whenever. That directly affects the bottom line for owners who aren’t going to pay a big new FA a 162 game salary with no revenue coming in from the seats.

• xoot said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:14 pm

A full season would surprise me more than 1/3 fans in the stands for 2/3, or something. But it’s all guess, at this point.

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 7:58 pm

i know but that is the issue that is determining what teams are going to want to spend. Are we starting on time? BUT are there butts in the seats? They are going to start on time. Butts in the seats are a pending issue

• Winder said, on December 4, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Lol. All you can say is good luck.

13. willedav said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Bernard King is 64 today. Man was he fun to watch with Warriors, scoring machine.

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:16 pm

He’s 3 days older than Larry Bird…

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Bernard King and World B Free were my two fav Warriors growing up

• gianthead said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:57 pm

My exact same two…World B still in my fav all times. Did a middle school report on King…

14. Winder said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:04 pm

I had to take the old man cat Billy into the vets today. The vet found he has a thyroid condition and needs medication twice a day for the rest of his life. He started losing weight within the last 6 months although he continued to eat like a horse. I thought it was just old age.

The way the world is now and has been for awhile who knows what’s gonna happen. Hopefully a vaccine will be effective. But guaranteed there will be a shitload of people who won’t take it. Baseball will be a great diversion but will still take a back seat to everything else that’s happening.

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:25 pm

damn. Hope it’s easy to give him and easy on him.

• Winder said, on December 4, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Yeah I gotta put the medicine on his inner ear, it is gonna be doable.

15. Macdog said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Loo asked about our cat Zoey yesterday, very sad to say she had to be put down. Kidney failure. Not sure how it came so suddenly, the picture of her in the cat thread was taken last week and she seemed fine, but she went downhill pretty fast over the weekend to the point where she was in too much pain. Damn, this sucks. I’m not really a cat person, but she eventually won me over and even started sitting on my lap like in the picture. We still have four cats, including my new fave Winks, but yeah, the place is a little more empty now.

• Carstie Clausen said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:40 pm

I know the feeling. With my#1 all-time cat, Mr Mttzfttz, one summer afternoon there he was on the kitchen floor, peacefully gone at the age of 20. With some others, though, the departures left a sadder emptiness.

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Very sorry to hear, Mac
      No doubt you gave her a great home….

• Bozo said, on December 4, 2020 at 4:58 pm

Sorry to hear about Zoey, Mac. We had to put down our Lab, Woody a couple of months ago. Man that was a heavy crying and drinking day for us, These animals are family. Take care.

16. gianthead said, on December 4, 2020 at 3:56 pm

Straily is the perfect Farhan type of Giant pitcher. I actually watched a bunch of Lotte Giants this year as I kept reporting and he would easily slide into the 5 spot especially if they dont bring back Taylor Anderson…

17. gianthead said, on December 4, 2020 at 4:05 pm

4 years at $70 mill land Ozuna? 5 at $90?

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Whatever is, he ain’t getting it from the Giants…

18. gianthead said, on December 4, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Sorry for all the cat losses…especially the one the owl got!!!

• Winder said, on December 4, 2020 at 4:43 pm

You gotta watch for those birds. A hawk snagged a couple of my neighbor’s chickens a few months ago. He saw one eating one of them in the corner of his yard.

19. Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 5:10 pm

Macdog I am saddened to hear about the demise of Zoey who, while not a Flap vet long, will always be a Flap HOFer to me and others.

20. Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 5:42 pm

final Nov stats of unique visitors at the Flap: 1615 this year vs 911 last November. That’s a pretty huge jump.

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 6:17 pm

What exactly is a unique visitor?
      I would love to know if anyone in the Giant organization (past or present) has ever been a Flap reader…

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2020 at 6:40 pm

that’s one dude. So if you come here 50 times in a day it’s still only one unique DJ Loo. Like there could ever be a second one, am I right dawg?

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 7:12 pm

One is definitely enough…

21. djloo27 said, on December 4, 2020 at 7:31 pm