So You’re Telling Me There’s A Chance…

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 7, 2020

Do I want the Niners to make the playoffs? Goddamn right I do. Do I have any idea of what needs to go down to make that happen? Absolutely not.

I suppose they could start by winning tonight’s game, right? California has banished them to Arizona, it’s always hit or miss when a team’s schedule gets disrupted like this. You’d think it would be a negative but look at what the Cardinal just did in the same circumstances on Saturday. They waxed Washington as an 11 point dawg.

Yes, I think the Niners can and will win this game……

1. chipower9 said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:01 am

The line has been crazy. I think the Niners opened as dogs at +3.5. Last I saw, Niners are -1. I thought they would win outright even as dogs.

Niners are getting healthy and looked good against the Lambs. I think they will make the playoffs. With the Cards losing yesteday, a W pulls them into a tie with Zona (I think they are in the final playoff spot right now).

Also, saw an interview with Shanny the other night from his “office” (conference room in the hotel that is now the Niner’s home), and he said the team was adjusting well to the change.

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:25 am

well, yeah, what’s he gonna say? i’m assuming tying AZ isn’t enough since they already beat us? Or would the next time we play them be the tie break decider?

• chipower9 said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:30 am

If we win the next (split for the year), and end-up tied with the Cards for a final playoff spot, here are the tie-breakers. LOL…wonder if it has ever come down to a coin toss?

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
        Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
        Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
        Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
        Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
        Strength of victory.
        Strength of schedule.
        Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
        Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
        Best net points in common games.
        Best net points in all games.
        Best net touchdowns in all games.
        Coin toss

The best way to ensure a ticket to the dance, and to borrow words from the late Al Davis said, “Just Win Baby.”

• unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:40 am

Yeah, this’ll be just like training camp. Not like they don’t do shit like this already,

2. willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:35 am

Was thinking about it when it happened, but Raiders W eerily reminiscent of Lamonica to Warren Wells and Blanda extra point for W 50 years ago early December. Poor Earlie Thomas deflected the ball and it fell into Wells hands. Epic Bill King commentary, as always.
    NYGs appear to have dominated both lines vs. Seachickens–5 sacks that blew up Russ Cooks kitchen, and 129 rushing yds from Gallman in second half.

• willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:18 am

was 50 years to the day. Raiders white road uni with silver numbers, Jets in green tops with white pants.
      Gotta admit not a fan of single color unis lot of teams wear these days. Jets all green with green helmet, Chiefs all red last night, yuck.

• unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:39 am

Crazy game. Biggest play may have been the Seahawks inability to corral the blocked punt in the end zone that instead went for a safety.

3. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:51 am

7. 6-6 Minn – I think if we tie Minn we are in, should our loss be to Buffalo.
    8. 6-6 AZ – They are out of the playoffs as of now. We can keep them there by beating them.
    9. 6-6 SF – A win tonight would be huge. We could lose and still make it, but winning would make it a lot easier.
    10. 5-7 Chi – Tribiscuit tripped over his dick and gave the game away yesterday. Yay!

4. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:08 am

So as of now we need to pass both the Cards and the VIkes to get to the playoffs. Winning tonight would make this much more doable.

Good news is both the Cards (Rams and the resurgent Giants?) Vikes (Buccos and Saints) have some tough games. Then again they are all tough at this point. We have the this one, AZ, and Seattle mixed in with the Cowboys and No-Skins

5. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:38 am

Al the shit I wrote above this is a mess. Disregard.

We are getting Brandon Aiyuk back, so Mullens has another weapon at his disposal. Can’t even remember if they’ve been on the field together this year.

Buffalo sucks against the run, so we should be able to control the clock some. All about scoring in the red zone though.

Then there’s the spectre of Jimmy G and Kittle coming back in the next week or two should the Niners be in a position to make a playoff run.

6. chipower9 said, on December 7, 2020 at 9:30 am

Agree Charlie – after the Bills tonight we have Washington, Cowgirls, Cards and Seachicks. If we win these next three (very doable), then those games against the Cards and Seattle are huge. Well, they’re all huge at this point.

But not being a Pollyanna here…I truly think the Niners have a good chance at making the dance.

7. Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 9:35 am

LOL I guess williams wasn’t in on “the tank”

• unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 9:43 am

Apparently the reaction from the entire team was “huh?” on the zero cover call. Even Gase. His head should roll as well.

8. Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 10:15 am

It is gonna take an all-out effort for both our defense and offense. John Brown their WR is supposedly out so that leaves Diggs and Beasley as their main WR’s, their running game is average but their QB is their ace in the hole. The kid can make plays. Our Oline and Mullens are gonna have to be on it tonight.

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 10:32 am

Gabe Davis could be an issue, too.

9. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 10:57 am

Buffalo does not defend the run well. We should be able to kill them with misdirection runs and quick passes.

Yeah, Brown is out. And yeah, defending against a mobile QB has been a challenge for us. Greenlaw and Warner are gonna be busy. Esp with Davis out on routes. Wish Moseley wasn’t hurt. And we lost Jamar Taylor last week.

All about the pass rush. Allen will kill us if he has time.

• Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:13 am

yeah, I forgot about Davis. If we play our game i still think we beat em.

10. Carstie Clausen said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:21 am

Back to Baseball in case anyone is still interested. Couple of premium pitchers to consider. The Yomiuri Giants just posted their ace, Tomoyuki Sugano. Career since 2015 is a 2.19 ERA with an 8K vs. 2-BB/9IP. Analysts are rating him at least a #4 in MLB. Teams have 30 days to make an offer.

Appears that Reds are dangling Sonny Gray. Last season he posted a 3.70, with a 3.54 career ERA. His biggie was 2019 when he went 2.87 with a walk to strikeouts ratio of 68-205. Looks as if he should be good at eating innings and should be no worse than a #3, with prospects as a #2. Someone like Hjelle and maybe our #4 or 5 pitching prospect, or perhaps our third-best OF pipeliner, Canario, might tempt Cincinnati.

In other MLBTR items, MLB suggests teams should “assume” that there will be no universal DH next season. That being probable, would SF be able to shop one of our two DHie type hitters for a reasonable return—like a RHP reliever who would be reliable in 7th or 8th inning?

• Bozo said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:40 am

I know Sugano is 31 and I’m not sure how much he will want or what the release fee to the Yomiuri Giants would be, but I’d definitely be kicking the tires on that one.

• Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:51 am

I don’t want to get rid of any of our decent pitching prospects.

• chipower9 said, on December 7, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Yes, I posted an article four or five days ago where Zaidi said everything he is hearing it to plan for NO universal DH. So, if there is no NL DH, the only teams who could potentially have interest in one of our “DHie” hitters would be an AL club. Or, instead of shopping one of those types of hitters, do the Giants play this more long-term? The current CBA ends after 2021, and the handwriting is on the wall that we will have a universal DH at some point (just shoot me now).

11. sandog said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:36 am

I don’t know about the Jets firing that dude. Many games have also been lost over the years when teams sit back in soft zone coverages in situations like that. If they get to Carr and win the game, no one says a word about the coverage they were running. I like an aggressive approach going after the QB. Didn’t work this time. So it goes.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:37 am

My son loves Deebo and we’re digging this short. Go Niners!

• chipower9 said, on December 7, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Cool video, Dirt. Thanks for sharing. I have loved Deebo since the Niners drafted him. Dude is bad ass…

• alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Yeah cool video Dirt! Niners did strike gold drafting Deebo, not so much drafting Hurd when thy could of moved up a few spots and grabbed Metcalf, what a combination those 2 would have made for years.,

13. Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:44 am

Dick Allen died. He was before my time but he looked like quite the badass in the pics I’ve seen

• Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 12:06 pm

Allen was by far the best Phillies player during his time. I don’t remember much about the Phillies so looked up the Giants 1964 schedule we went 8-10 against em. What I do remember was even though the Giants had a hellava team back then i didn’t like when we played Philly.

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2020 at 12:14 pm

That is so fucked up.
      He loved the track, too…

• willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm

He could really hit. Phils were kind of starved for All Stars (save for J Callison) and on bottom of NL years before he got to Philly.

14. Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 11:47 am

• alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 2:07 pm

What a joke, they fire Williams but not Gase at the same time? who could of called at TO and change the TANK call but didn’t??( Yeah that maneuver confirms for me it was a TANK call, no competent organization would call a downright idiotic coverage scheme like that!This organization is obviously the worst in football with incompetent people running it to incompetent players playing it…
      Feel alittle sad for the East Coast Flappers, but u still have a good Buffalo team, and a very improving NY Giants team for the future..

15. djloo27 said, on December 7, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Joe Pepitone and John Lennon were born on the exact same day.
    Pepi is alive at 80. Lennon murdered 40 years ago tomorrow at age 40…

• sandog said, on December 7, 2020 at 1:05 pm

FUN FACT!

16. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Hey Let’s all take a moment of silence for all the brave men and women who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor 79 years ago today…🙏🇺🇸

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2020 at 2:21 pm

FDR called it a “date” which will live in infamy – not a “day” as many people say…

17. willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Never been on a golf course ever but…saw story today on Yahoo re: LPGA golfer Cristie Kerr (43 yrs old) who along with caddie “spent several hours in emergency room after they were involved in a golf car accident” Friday morning.
    Both suffered “multiple serious injuries” but were discharged Friday afternoon and she withdrew from tourney being played in Texas.
    Thoughts from those of you who play/watch?

• sandog said, on December 7, 2020 at 3:42 pm

There was actually a golf cart incident in Woodland years ago where a guy ended up dying! And if I recall, it didn’t involve drinking or reckless behavior—just a freak accident that led to a bad head injury.

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 4:28 pm

my dad likes to retell a story of a time he was playing PA Muni, par 3 water off the tee. He swears to God that this guy, yes he was Asian and that always comes up in the story, drove the cart directly into the water. The details on this story are murky and why this gentleman did this was never actually explained to me. But my dad loves to tell that story, man.

18. Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 4:17 pm

In 1975 or so my sister, at 5 years old, somehow got a hold of the controls of the golf cart I was sitting in. She jammed the gas and smashed the cart into a tree maybe 30 yards ahead. Me, her, clubs went everywhere. It was the ride of a lifetime lemme tell ya. This was on the 7th hole at Black Butte, she killed that tree that day. It’s still there to this day, dead, just sitting there. No idea why it wasn’t ever removed. It’s small and off to the side, I guess no one cared about it. But I give that tree a knowing dude head nod every time I go past it when I play that course.

19. Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 4:26 pm

Alex Smith is just so fucking bad at this point in his career. Denny, wherever he is, must be loving this.

• Macdog said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:01 pm

He looked pretty good on that game-tying TD drive.

• alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:33 pm

Alex Smith is doing something right about to knock off the undefeated Steelers in Pittsburgh and putting them in a 1st place tie with the Giants!
      Washington has just won 23-17!!
      Good for them not using Greg Williams defense cover ZERO, to a secure a win!!

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 6:42 pm

his best plays were dump offs to the RB. He did throw a nice ball to the TE for a score. Did you watch the rest of his passes? I shudder to look at his ave pass per attempt it had to have been low.

20. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Sucks that the NFL doesn’t telecast a 11-0 Steelers team on Monday Night Football WTF? They been screwed more then any other team having to help other teams during the Covid, having to change their bye week to accommodate others, now playing there 3rd game in 11 days as well.Chasing that undefeated Dolphin team from 72 and it’s not televised?

21. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:42 pm

Saw the end of the No-Skins game. Check down Charlie looked good. He hit that one long pass anyway that led to the winning FG.

22. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Fumbuuuuuule!!!

23. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Yeah, baby. Huge start for the Niners,

• willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Bout time they went play action.

24. Macdog said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:53 pm

Bills usually aren’t very good playing NFC teams in a neutral stadium.

25. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 5:53 pm

Not doing a good job of containing Allen.

• willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 6:21 pm

not much pass rush pressure.

26. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Interesting 3QB’s growing up all wanting to play for the 49ers who passed on all.
    2 Automatic HOF players in Tom Brady&Aaron Rogers and now Josh Allen if he stays healthy will be on his way to the HOF as well..
    Just thinking of those SB rings that got away..

27. willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 6:39 pm

71 yds in 1:05. eric Branch SF beat reporter said Allen looks like Russell Wilson vs. Niners.

28. Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 6:41 pm

Niners look like shit. Offense is shit and Allen is starting to look quite comfortable in the pocket. Fucking put some pressure on him!

29. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 7, 2020 at 6:50 pm

Never a good idea to post something when a game is going on and you guys are doing play by play, but what the hell. Sad to hear about Richie Allen (well, that’s how I “knew” him as a kid before he became “Dick”). Yeah, fearsome. That bat he used was quite the club. I remember in Little League always looking for the biggest bat available to imitate him. I didn’t care if I couldn’t even swing the damn thing. Also remember an incident where he busted up his hand while supposedly pushing his broken-down car and his hand supposedly went thru the headlight. Wondered at the time if that was true.

As for an apparent Asian driving a golf cart into a lake…. I don’t mean this in any kind of racist or demeaning way, it’s just kind of actual: I started understanding why Asians have a rep in the US of being bad drivers only when I first started living over here. They’re not bad drivers… over here…. they’re just… drivers. Transplanted to the US is when they might appear to be bad drivers. Here, you have to always look both ways even when you’re walking on the sidewalk… it’s how things get done. Well, RIP, Richie Allen…

• unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:16 pm

I went to Hong kong when I was a kid, and the cab ride from the airport to the hotel was terrifying. A high-speed ballet of small cars going very fast.

• xoot said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Mexico City traffic will kill you if you’re not alert, all the time.

DWA, however, is a real deal in the USA. Art students who provided great childcare for my kids swore that DWA was a legit phenomenon. I tried to resist, but over time, I had to agree. Just last year, as I drove to silicon valley one early weekend morning, I was surprised by the heavy traffic: many Honda and Toyota sedans were all dragging 60 or less in what obviously was 80 range. Then I realized that it was Chinese New Year. All of those laggards were headed to special celebrations. As I passed them, I checked. Every laggard driver was a middle-aged Asian man.

• unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, at least the Hong Kong drivers actually paid attention to the traffic lights.

30. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 6:51 pm

14-15 passing 109 yards TD pass yeah and a stout runner Allen’s the real deal for years to come as are the Bills..

31. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:11 pm

Why can’t we play the Rams every week?

• alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Wish we could Chuck cause Goff Sucks and Allen doesn’t..

32. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Just a stupid personal foul on Street bailing out a 3rd and 18..
    And now they score 6 😩

33. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:34 pm

Saleh getting schooled a bit here. One stop would be nice.

34. Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:35 pm

Back the the Phillies. I remember one year I think it was 62/63 it seemed everytime I bought a pack of baseball cards I always got a Clay Dalrymple, and a Gene Freese i had so many of em I used them for BB gun practice.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Haha, you’re right about Dalrymple, I also remember having about a dozen, not sure why he was a baseball card pack staple…

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Pretty sure Dalrymple got the only hit off Marichal in his ML debut…

• willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:39 pm

remember days before Allen got there when Cubs would be 7th and phils 8th. Looked it up, 4 in a row 1958 to 1961 they were 8th and dead last. 61 they were 47-107. 62 Mets (who lost 120) came in with Stros, they were 7th.

• Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:57 pm

From 65-69 the Giants finished in 2nd place. It used to drive me crazy that we just couldn’t get over the hump.

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2020 at 9:07 pm

Trading Bill Hands & Randy Hundley to the Cubs cost us at least a pennant or two, IMO…

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:52 pm

One year I got about 33 Harry Brights…

• Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Pretty sure Topps packs were not random assortments. Maybe they flood different areas with more common cards. To get my full assortment of Giants i had to spend a lot of nickels.

35. willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:36 pm

nice TD, long pass to Aiyuik, but need a stop here on 3rd down.
    which didn’t happen. yikes

36. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Saleh getting roasted. We look lost. Sherm is covering the covered guy for some reason.

I guess Buffalo is for real. We look like shit.

37. Winder said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:46 pm

We are just getting stomped tonight. I hope it wakes somebody up.

38. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Not sure why they waited 3 quarters to use Deebo.

39. djloo27 said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:51 pm

40. willedav said, on December 7, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Draft a QB, pls. Bunch of them out there.

41. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Mullens said earlier today that he thought was was good enough to be a starter in the NFL.

Funniest shit I’ve read today. He’s shit.

42. Flavor said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:12 pm

pathetic effort from everyone, defense, offense and play calling on both sides of ball.

43. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:17 pm

It all starts with Mullens. He’s no good. This defense was ripped apart. We played run defense ion 1st down and they ate that shit up throwing underneath it. Course we had no pass rush to speak of.

Talk about snap back to reality.

• alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:23 pm

Once we lose Saleh next year and he will get a head coach gig( he can have a choice of atleast 5 spots) we will see how the defensive side holds up under that asst dude Kourlek?

44. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2020 at 8:19 pm

I always remember Cookie Rojas&Tony Taylor the Cuban connection for the Phillies always having big games against the Giants along with Richie Allen who welded the heaviest bat in baseball back then even heavier then Stretch..

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 7, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Yeah Kat, that was a fun team to watch (growing up in NJ, saw almost all their games), with those you mentioned plus Johnny Callison, one of my favs, and Jim Bunning and Chris Short manning the mound…

45. chipower9 said, on December 7, 2020 at 10:08 pm

Niners got their asses handed to them in every facet. I really expected a more competitive game.

Buffalo is a solid team, but give me the full Niner roster, healthy, and it would be a different game. Tough year for the Niners.

RIP General Chuck Yeager.

46. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Wow. 97 years old. Watching the Niners these days makes me feel that old.