A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Scrambling to Find Something to Do On A Saturday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 12, 2020

I went to draftkings today to do a few college football line ups all centered around Little Ricky from the University of Texas and to my dismay there have been a LOT of games cancelled today:

So I cannot hook em horns today as I had planned. It does appear SDSU is playing the mighty BYU. Upset chance? Eh? Gonna go out on a limb and assume not even the strongest Aztec supporter thinks an upset is in the offing today…..Looks like we are getting a tree today at 3pm. So there’s that.

1. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2020 at 7:20 am

Agree with the majority yesterday…Schulman is a blowhard and I will not miss his sorry ass.

Where do you go to get your tree, Flav? We went to one of the local tree farms this year (one that I frequented when my kids were growing-up). It has been years. We took Gail’s almost 3 year old grandson out to make it a day. Boy was I shocked. 8′ tree…$145. I will be getting a national forest permit next year that allows you to go cut your tree for $10.

Dumpster Dive Update – Giants signed RHP Gerson Garabito (KC org) to a minor league deal. Possible back-end starter…but probably a 4A guy like Derek Rodriguez…

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2020 at 8:27 am

we chopped a tree or two down up in La Honda somewhere years ago, I can’t remember exactly where. It was fun but more work than I wanted to put into tree getting. So for the last several years we just run down the hill to Summerwinds Nursery in PA. I got a buddy in Oregon who makes a big deal out of it. He and his family drive to a place, they hike into the woods, they find the tree they want but BEFORE cutting it down they all join hands around the tree and sing it a song. True story. Would pay lots of money to watch him do it but he knows I would give him shit till we’re both dead so that’s a video I’ll never see i bet

• djloo27 said, on December 12, 2020 at 8:32 am

This is the song they should sing…

• Winder said, on December 12, 2020 at 10:19 am

The world was a very different place. i know I didn’t buy it but somehow I ended up with that 45.

• alleykat69 said, on December 12, 2020 at 10:25 am

Drum roll for the Griswold’s Christmas 🎄 tree cutting ceremony!
        Do they all shine flashlights 🔦 on the perfect tree as they’re singing before the cutting?

2. willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 7:33 am

Team that beat BYU last week ran for 280 yds. and SDSU has good running backs if healthy. ‘Stanford looking for 3rd W in a row vs. Beavs of O St. USC-UCLA, Trojans trying to stay on top of their half of Pac 12.

Stanford womens b-ball added in a game Tuesday, when coach could break record for career Ws. Tomorrow they play Cal, who lost to USF couple nights ago. Oddly enough, men lost to Pepperdine and Coach romar who won Waves first ever vs. pac 12.

Both Cal programs got victimized by something I really dislike—coach leaving program after top players graduate or go pro. the men’s team had 3 top players (including J Brown of Celts) bolt and one more starter left when Coach Martin took off for greener pastures at Missouri.
    New guy lasted 2 awful seasons before they hired current Mark Fox, who has a one man team.
    Women lost an All American to WNBA plus 2 senior guards and then coach left cupboard bare for assistant job in NBA. They don’t have anything over there, despite being coached by former Stanford player, and will lose by a lot tmw to Lady Cards #1 in entire country and loaded with talent.

This happened where I used to coach HS– head coach had issues with Admin (use of gym on off hours etc.), lost 3 starters including one who played D 1 ball at Pacific, left for greener pastures. Next season our team finished next to last in league before dropping down to lower division, and winning it.

3. djloo27 said, on December 12, 2020 at 8:28 am

Ever look at this stuff?

• willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 8:44 am

wow thanks Loo that’s pretty funny. Used caps from guy I never heard of…Panik jersey for $500? Didn’t look into it but is it private site that collects off whomever would buy this stuff?

• willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 8:48 am

“used Cory Gearrin batting practice cap…” wonder if it took him as long in cage to hit as it did to throw a pitch.

4. djloo27 said, on December 12, 2020 at 8:52 am

Here ya go, Flavor…

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2020 at 12:06 pm

thanks. That’s the queen right there.

5. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2020 at 9:16 am

$400 for the letter K? Wow. I need that.

6. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2020 at 9:19 am

We used to go to Apple Hill near Chuck’s, and now Blade’s place to cut down our trees. It was pretty cool. They always had a big fire going and you could buy hot chocolate as you strolled among the Christmas trees.

7. djloo27 said, on December 12, 2020 at 10:51 am

Seems like when we talk about good times here, the sentence usually starts with “used to” or “I remember.”
    That’s gotta change…

• Winder said, on December 12, 2020 at 12:22 pm

That’s because everyone here is on the older side.

8. mrsprtdude said, on December 12, 2020 at 12:46 pm

ASU thrashing U of A was good ending to a crappy Covid year. 70-7. Crazy.

9. willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 12:54 pm

Ha Niko’s Dream wins 8th at gulfstream, barely holding off #4 ridden by Irad Ortiz Jr. who closed late and almost caught him.
    Nica’s dream was a tune written by Horace Silver in honor of Baroness and jazz patron Pannonica de Konigswater of New York. Charlie Parker died in her suite at Stanhope Hotel in NYC,, and others wrote and performed tunes with her name in them, including Thelonious Monk.

• willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Monk spent final years of his life with the Baroness after he’d stopped performing. In one of the bio DVDs (I think entitled Straight No chaser) he gives a brief intro of the tune Pannonica, and then you see her surrounded by her many cats, while Monk’s solo version of this beautiful melody is playing.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:03 pm

Pyfer won the first at Los Al toda.

• willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:52 pm

yeah saw that she was riding the same horse I think where she had lost an iron DM earlier. this time went out in front and won pretty easily as favorite. get 7 lb bug still.
        Tyler Baze won 3rd.
        Flavien Prat has mount in 4th there today.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2020 at 2:32 pm

willieD if you want to see the race card for a particular track go to drf.com and click on entries and then find the track you’re looking for. You can click on results to see what everything paid but i am guessing the payouts aren’t important to you.

• xoot said, on December 12, 2020 at 4:03 pm

The Pursuer (tr.), Julio Cortázar’s great long (fictional) story about Ch. Parker, includes an important character based on Nica.

10. zumiee said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:07 pm

I know it’s not a great movie, but the Griswold family Christmas is one of my favorite holiday films.

• alleykat69 said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Are you kidding Zumie? It’s a must watch classic watch every year at Christmas 🎄
      Uncle Eddie in his bathrobe emptying his motor home shitter 💩a disgusting 🤮 classic moment!
      The overcooked carcass of a Turkey exploding, with Snotts (a great dog’s name) yakking up the bones in the kitchen! The cat electrocuted and his remains embedded in the carpet( a gut buster) Chevy Chase’s rant about his no good boss on how he rear ended every employer with his 1 year membership for the jelly donut club.
      Grandpa Lewis..They want u to say Grace…The Blessing!!

11. djloo27 said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Good value on Irad in the 10th at GP with 3 MTP…

• djloo27 said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:44 pm

Dead last!
      You’re welcome…

12. snarkk said, on December 12, 2020 at 1:54 pm

College football is a joke. Which was highly predictable, and was predicted.
    Cal v. Washington State in Pullman just got cancelled right before the game become of positive testing on the Cal side.
    There have been so many cancellations due to Covid, they might as well have just appointed the Final 4 from the beginning and skipped the ludicrous attempts at playing and endangering the kids in a joke of a season.
    If there were any doubt that these athletes are actually university employees, who are due employee rights and compensation, that has been totally exposed in all this. There are multiple reported articles that the number of college players and staff testing positive far exceeds those reported. A travesty and a coverup in a totally corrupted sports system…

• willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 2:04 pm

mm at least in case of Pac 12 they are following the agreed upon rules set up by the conference. Cal player tested positive and due to contact tracing of others around him Cal did not meet required rules to have enough scholarship athletes to play.

They flew up there along with staff, coaches and medical, to play the game they enjoy because they want to do this. Sure there are some who only came to play football but most all of the 80 or so on team who graduate will go another direction. If this is what they want to do, I don’t see anything wrong with it as long as you follow the given rules and procedures. they’ve had to relocate to practice and play just like other local teams, and so they did. Unfortunate they can’t play but I’m not in on just cancelling football 100%.

13. xoot said, on December 12, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Anyone else see Jerry Rice’s son Brenden making TDs for Colorado this morning? I happened to switch to the game in time to see the 81-yard punt return. He didn’t cut much. Icy field. He did make one great move late in the run, maybe on the punter, but still it was cool. He’s a freshman there.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2020 at 2:30 pm

i did. Straight up the gut, the first half of that run I could have done. But he showed a few moves after that. Fun to see his son playing

• xoot said, on December 12, 2020 at 3:03 pm

Well, he’s pretty fast. He simply outran everyone else on the field with his 61-yard reception.

14. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Think it would be bad ass to sign Gore next season and draft his son. Coleman and McKinnon ain’t doing much for me.

Want to see a great Christmas movie, watch The Ref. Funny shit. Dennis Leary and Kevin Spacey.

15. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Rice had a 61 yard TD as well. Brenden is 6′ 3″, 205. Fast.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on December 12, 2020 at 3:17 pm

We always cut a tree down in my second marriage. It was a ritual. There are plenty of Christmas tree farms around these parts. I don’t have any environmental qualms about it because these folks are always replanting. It’s something I miss now that my youngest is on her own, as am I. (Buddhists would add none of us are on our own.) We have one story that is the stuff of family legend. About 12-15 years ago, Adrianna and I were out at a farm to get the family tree. We found one. So, here I am lying in the soggy snow hacking away with a lousy hacksaw-type saw. Hard work; little progress. I’m sweating. Todd walks by. His then-wife Diane worked with me, one of the firm’s principals. Todd has some kids with him. Todd has a motorized chainsaw!! I don’t know him well; enough to mumble hello. “Todd, hi. Mind if you come over here and give us a hand cutting down this tree?” “Hold on. I have to go over here and cut this tree down for my family.” He breezes on by. Cocksucker. I proceed the gulag-labor task of sawing our tree. Todd and family walk by. We’re done. No words exchanged. Monday morning, at the office: diane: “Todd says you ran into him at the tree farm.” Right. silence. No wonder she divorced his sorry ass. Merry Christmas.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2020 at 6:58 pm

LOL see? This is why you should post here more often. I’m fast tracking this bitch to the Flap HOF..

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2020 at 7:01 pm

#75 in the Flap HOF, easily the best part of this place.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 12, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Should I edit it? I learned from my daughter it was WORSE. Diane from work was there. She was like, “no, we have to cut our tree down. Bye, Paul.” So, Monday morning should’ve been, “Hi Diane. Why were you and Todd such twats?”

17. pawliekokonuts said, on December 12, 2020 at 3:20 pm

This makes it sound as if I’m productive in my retirement. I couldn’t have gotten a more positive article if I had dictated it to them. https://bit.ly/2Jje3BE

18. willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 4:02 pm

thanks flav I usually track entries and results especially if I’m watching something else like football. 8th is big stakes race at LosAl Rispoli and Prat have mounts 5 different horses 5-1 or less..

19. willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Warriors are on tonight in exhibition game. Saw some of Kings game and d’Aron Fox trimmed his fro off.

20. willedav said, on December 12, 2020 at 4:26 pm

oh shoot Charley Pride dead of Covid at 86. Friend of mine had FB post about him receiving lifetime Willie Nelson award just a month ago. Played Negro league baseball too as a pitcher I believe for Memphis Red Sox. Long successful career in country music and made first appearance in 40 yrs of black singer at the Opry back in late ’60s.
    Have one of his LPs, beautiful rendition of J Clement’s Girl I Used to Know.

21. sandog said, on December 12, 2020 at 9:57 pm

First wife and I used to have a tradition we enjoyed where we would have a December garage sale with the goal of at least making enough $ to buy a nice christmas tree and a pizza.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 7:01 am

i can’t believe a tradition like that didn’t keep you two crazy kids together? What happened?

22. rarugilman said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Just want to say that as a BYU alumna I’m honored you’d mention “mighty” and “BYU” in the same sentence Flavor 🙂 Let’s hope that holds true!