Sunday NFL Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 13, 2020

The Niners are essentially out of it and that’s ok some years are just brad penny years—Sabes taught us that. Sure, maybe they win out. And maybe Jessica Pyfer will win 7 races today.

Still, there are interesting games to watch. Though it’s a match up of two terrible teams, you’ve got the revenge factor with the Red Rocket vs the Bengals. Jalen Hurts is starting in Philly. Kyler Murray is always a show. And speaking of revenge game, how about Alex Smith today? Or, to a lesser extent, Jordan Reed?

The tree is up and today is a football day…….

1. willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 7:53 am

mm Alex Smith and the Washingtons still have a shot and something to play for. Nothing against him, see what happens. D Jones supposed to be back for NYGs, who are cool story in their own right. Anyone who walks into Seachicken land and sacks Russell Wilson 5 times blows up him cooking and beats their ass is OK by me.

great story from pawlie, and the Mrs. was there all along while he was straining to cut down a tree yikes.

SD story about garage sale as Holiday tradition to get rid of stuff and drum up little cash is cool too. funny thing, you see so many commercials where regardless of activity being shown (shopping etc) no one has a mask and there is zero social distancing, unlike anything in real world today where people congregate. How could you safely do a garage sale these days?
    Unemployed friend of mine has taken to eBay with a vengeance to clear out stuff she’s collected over the years and even is helping a business pal of hers unload sunglasses.

2. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 8:16 am

Don’t forget Trent Williams vs the teams that misdiagnosed his cancer.

If the Niners went 9-7 it would be a spectacular coaching job all around. Don’t see us getting by AZ and Sea.

• willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 8:31 am

Is this last season for Sherman as Niner? chron column this week he said he thought so, they’d have to cover Williams and Fred Warner with $$$ and wouldn’t have cap room for him too.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 8:52 am

God I hope so. Sherm is so done as a CB right now. Maybe he’s still hurt but he shouldn’t be on the field anymore, not like this

• unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 10:21 am

Sherman played well against the Rams, but he’s too old to count on. Someone will pay him, but not us, We may not even be able to keep Verrett. All of our CBs are at the end of their deals so we have some work to do there.

Like I said last offseason we should have drafted a CB or two in a deep field. We need to do that next draft. If Verrett wants to stay he may go for less money but I don’t see how we can afford him with the cap issues we have. And his injury history is well-documented.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 10:25 am

have you seen how far off that dude is playing his man? He’s like 12 yards down the field. I know he’s smart and can make up for some of his lost speed/reaction but he’s not worth a penny as a CB anymore and next year he’ll just be another year older

• unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 10:29 am

I said we aren’t gonna sign him. He’s old and injury prone. He should move to safety if he wants to play longer.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 11:08 am

i know what you said, I can read. I am saying he’s done. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he retires at the end of this season

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 11:11 am

although your point about him moving to safety is a good one I hadn’t considered that

3. pawliekokonuts said, on December 13, 2020 at 8:35 am

“…some years are just brad penny years”

Subtle and brilliant and layered

4. willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 9:52 am

Randy Cross I thought did fine job as color guy during San Jose St-Nevada game Friday night. He was funny and gave insightful comments on technique etc. Jose will be in title game of Mtn West vs. Boise st; like to hear him again.

5. willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 10:41 am

Giants Cards defensive battle…nice way to say both QBs look awful.

6. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 10:48 am

Kyler missed badly on his first 2 drives. Shoulda scored after the fumble but threw way behind the WR.

7. djloo27 said, on December 13, 2020 at 11:06 am

One of the many expressions that drive me nuts is “if the season ended today”.
    It hasn’t happened yet…

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 11:08 am

the two that have gotten under my skin this year are 1) new normal and 2) we’re all in this together.

8. snarkk said, on December 13, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Story of the demise of the low minors. Essentially 40 cities and regions cut off from baseball.
    Salem/Kaiser certainly one of them.
    Baseball is being run by people who don’t love the game.
    That’s why young people are not going to support it, and it will eventually turn into more of a niche sport like hockey. Maybe not in my lifetime, but it is heading that way…

9. snarkk said, on December 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm

BTW, I didn’t want to leave you guys hanging.
    My MIL passed away last Sunday in TX.
    There are so many dead from Covid in the area that her body is being stored in the mortuary for at least another week, maybe more, waiting for cremation.
    There won’t even be a memorial service until maybe fall of next year, depending on the arc of the Covid pandemic. You know, the Hoax…

10. alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Yeah Sherman is not coming back, no way they’re going to pay for a guy that won’t be able to stay on the field and has lost a few steps! Problem is the rest of the Secondary except Moseley, Williams,and if he can stay healthy as well Verret are the only ones worth keeping. They have to DRAFT CORNERBACK,SAFETY,OL,QB first in the upcoming draft in that order imo..

• djloo27 said, on December 13, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Is there a highly rated QB coming out beyond the top two, Kat?

• alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2020 at 1:46 pm

I like Zach Wilson from BYU for his mobility and not turning the ball over.But he will probably be gone before they’re pick.They could probably get Kyle Trask from Florida are even Ian Book from Norte Dame in 3-4 th rounds which would be better then having Mullens around..

11. Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 12:53 pm

Damn Snarkk, really sad to hear that and I’m sorry for what you and your family must be going through over this. Something that was probably preventable. Damn, what a shame.

12. Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 1:33 pm

Deebo. Dude just can’t stay healthy.

13. zumiee said, on December 13, 2020 at 1:51 pm

I want the Niners to win, of course, but I no longer hate the Washington team. They dropped their racist team nickname. They did a good thing, and I salute them for it.

14. willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Man keep running til they stop it. Less Mullen the better.

15. zumiee said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Sorry about your loss, Snarkk.
    The virus is raging across the nation causing so much devastation and heartbreak.

16. willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:09 pm

though Alex Smith looks worse so far. Get a lead on these guys, comeback would be difficult. Giants and Jones beat them twice already.

17. zumiee said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:11 pm

“Scott Adamson
    @adamsonsl

Auburn fired Gus Malzahn today and he’ll get $21,450,000 as a parting gift – with half of that due within 30 days. See, this is why you can’t pay college athletes to play because then you couldn’t afford to pay college coaches not to coach.”

18. snarkk said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Thanks for the good words, Gents.
    I’m taking leave of posting to the Flap until sometime next year.
    I may check the chatter now and again.
    But, my head and heart are not into sports right now.
    I’m afraid further posts on my part for the foreseeable future would be mostly rants around the edges of how totally fucked up my native country is right now, and I don’t think that would do anybody any good. Like a lot of you, I’ve been alive (mostly cognizant) through the JFK assassination, the madness of the Vietnam days — especially 1968, Watergate, Iran Hostages, Reaganism, Bush v. Gore, 9/11, Iraq War, yada yada. But, 2020 and these past 2 months more than any other time have shaken my already flimsy belief that this country, my country, was something special. 2020 has exposed not only the rough edges, but more importantly a kind of disastrous internal moral rot, a rejection of fact-based living, and a selfishness and divisiveness that altogether surely leads to inevitable decline, at minimum. As has been said, “we have met the enemy, and he is us”.
    Nonetheless, Merry Christmas, Happy Honnukah, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, wear a damn mask, and stay safe out there !…

• Winder said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:43 pm

I feel the same way. Sports have taken a back seat.

• djloo27 said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:53 pm

In case anybody’s not miserable enough, tomorrow is the 8 year anniversary of a tragedy so unspeakable that pretty much no one ever does…

• alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2020 at 3:03 pm

Besides the tragedy of watching Nick Mullen trying to quarterback, I would guess idiot gunman killing innocent kids on school grounds?

19. willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Mullens is unbelievable. Neither of these teams belong in playoffs, but to be the worse one yikes.

20. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 3:09 pm

So sorry to hear that, Snarkk. A terrible situation only made much worse by the times we live in. And yes you are right. These past 4 years have truly exposed a moral decay rotting the country from the inside out. Now the past month has shown elected politicians disavowing the election process and pushing the country toward an autocracy. Those 127 congressmen should be expelled for treason.

Isaac Asimov had it right. As did Hunter Thompson.

• willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:11 pm

:Let’s hope tomorrow begins march toward new reality. But yes so much of news is so disheartening from around country. As Flav said, so much of what’s happened was likely preventable; instead it’s the messengers who are under fire as in Florida.

21. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 3:10 pm

They have to get Mulens out of there. He’s waiting for pressure now instead of trying to get the ball out.

Ball security, you fucking idiot.

22. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Good God. We should just forfeit. We are losing everyone.

23. alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2020 at 3:20 pm

Beater sucks too, but who fucking cares? Take your lumps Beater and get in there.I can’t stomach anymore of Nick the Dick..

24. alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2020 at 3:54 pm

And just when u thought Mullens couldn’t be any worse, let’s throw in a PICK 6!!

25. willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Loud Loud Music comes from behind 4 horses to win in the stretch 8th at LosAl ridden by Abel Cedillo for S Miyadi 8-1 payoff.
    Sure was a time I enjoyed loud loud music, louder the better.

26. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Beats watching the Niners. They still have a chance tho.

27. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Don;t like them punting, but that worked well.

28. alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:28 pm

Sadly that punt and pinning them at the one, was they’re best play all day.

29. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Washington’s defense 17
    49ers offense 15
    Washington’s offense 6

30. pawliekokonuts said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Condolences to you and yours, Snark. You’re parting comment is spot-on. And yours, too, Loo, about Sandy Hook, a tragedy Alex Jones says did not happen, which is an obscenity.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:38 pm

*Your

31. pawliekokonuts said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:37 pm

One of my favorites has died, John le Carre. He rose above the spy genre to the heights of literature. In 2006, I got to ask him a question, live, on the BBC World Service ….while at my desk at work.

• willedav said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Dang, he wrote lot of great stories.

• unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:47 pm

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is awesome. Smiley’s People. Little Drummer girl. I read a bunch of his stuff in the 70s and 80s. That’s too bad. Great writer. I was really into Ludlum, LeCarre, Follet, and Trevanian back then.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 13, 2020 at 5:01 pm

For my money, Agent Running in the Field, the most recent novel by John le Carre, is as good as anything he crafted. I also loved the dense and most-autobiographical A Perfect Spy, featuring MAGNUS Pym, which is partly how I came to call Big Flavor by that name (also, Latin). And I immensely enjoyed his quasi-memoir The Pigeon Tunnel.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 13, 2020 at 5:32 pm

BREAKING: Cleveland to drop MLB team name.

• djloo27 said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:18 pm

I hear the early favorite for new name is “Steamers”…

32. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2020 at 4:42 pm

Wow. just wow. McGlinchey has become a huge liability in pas pro.

33. Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:03 pm

Alex Smith had a passer rating of 27.8 and we really didn’t come close to winning. That is….something

34. Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:16 pm

Man, everything sucks so…so much

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:18 pm

Oh man……………… and the hits… just…. keep.. coming…

• Winder said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:36 pm

That really does suck.

• alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Can’t believe it!! Cliffhouse was a staple for me.Clam chowder and a Bloody Mary on a cool SF day!!
      Geez what’s next,Harry’s Hofbrau in Redwood City? Canyon Inn? Dutch Goose?
      This year can’t end soon enough!!

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Yeah, long time staple for me too, especially when I was living out in the avenues near the beach. I remember being so bummed when it closed for renovations (long time closed, don’t remember now how long); maybe this will be temporary if someone can get it going again…

35. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Tom, so sorry about your MIL. Hard not to get discouraged from this entire year. I had mantra’ed up a year ago to make this year a 2020 Vision Quest to figure out a few things. Oops. Take care and be safe and also try to find some peace somewhere….

36. rarugilman said, on December 13, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Show us a picture of your tree! Would love to see it. Do you have baseball card ornaments?

• djloo27 said, on December 13, 2020 at 7:45 pm

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2020 at 8:25 pm

Will post a pic tomorrow Rach but you have to post a comment about it

37. mrsprtdude said, on December 13, 2020 at 8:14 pm

So sorry for your loss Snarkk. Condolences to your wife:(

Cliffhouse and lecarre. I too was a huge fan of the spy novels.

38. Macdog said, on December 13, 2020 at 8:56 pm

Snarkk, very sorry for your loss. And yeah, the moral rot you speak of is disheartening. I’d move to Canada in a heartbeat if it wasn’t so fucking cold up there.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 14, 2020 at 3:41 pm