Giants Dumpster Diving And The NFLBBB Carries Onward!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 15, 2021

Actually this off season is going about how we all thought, right? The dream of a big FA signing (or two) was probably never in the cards. I was going to make a joke about our owner only wanting to spend real $$$$ on his idiot Q-anon politicians but then I realized I’d be violating one of my own rules so I won’t make that joke……..

The NFLBBB is coming together about how I thought. Less entries but still a good time waiting to happen. There has been some questions about the point spread and why don’t I just add or subtract a 1/2 point to either end of the KC and/or NO game. True, the risk of tie is there. But as the designated line maker at the Flap I have a great responsibility to uphold the integrity of any given line. Adding (or subtracting) the hook to 3,7,10 or 14 is one of the most powerful acts a line maker can invoke. It is not a responsiblity I take lightly. True, we have seen a couple of the lines move 1/2 point since I posted them yesterday. But we must stay with the process. Yesterday’s line is the one we’ll play from.

If there is a tie or two, so be it. This is a hill I am ready to die on…….

1. chipower9 said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:26 am

That was an awesome (unspoken) joke, Flav. 😉 But yeah, totally get it…I love that we are keeping politics out of the fray in Flap Universe.

I understand the half-point issue. I would have added a half point to the full point games, but absolutely respect your decision.

Looking forward to this. How many entries so far? I need to go back to yesterday’s thread and get the spread.

Thanks as always for coordinating, Craig. Should be fun.

2. gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:42 am

You mean Charles Johnson Peace Be Unto Him???

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:43 am

😁🤪😇

• chipower9 said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:05 am

That’s him…ie Daddy Warbucks. Richest owner in all of baseball. But his son has the reins on the team now, I believe.

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:11 am

Son and daughter but son now managing partner

3. willedav said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:00 am

Eh Wood could of course be good, or bad, or injured or some combo of all 3 as Giants lone LH SP. But yes if that’s all there is, disappointing. Quality arms and bats are still out there, but SF doesn’t seem interested despite making noise about “contending”. Unfortunate approach, and $$$ isn’t issue either.

Denver Nuggets are fun to watch. Troubling GS couldn’t beat them on night Curry was on, making shots from everywhere. He did have 7 turnovers though, and Green had 5 more and only scored 1 point all night.

I watched Paul Milsap, who is older and career power forward type, hit 2 3s from wing in first quarter. Green has 3 total in 8 games, out of 15 shots, about same pct as much maligned Oubre. I don’t understand why he has failed to improve his shooting touch; even from 2 point range he’s 6-17.

This is part of reason teams trap and double Curry so much–who is he going to pass to that is going to hurt them on perimeter outside of Wiggins? It was interesting to hear Reggie Miller say same thing Unc had said, that Oubre needs to attack basket more and pass up 3s.

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:05 am

Watching the Pacers game and last night, the nba knows you just need size to pound the Warriors down and then they will run out of gas down the stretch. Not sure PJ Tucker helps but they need more size with Criss out for the year. Noel?

4. gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:02 am

I did not learn of the Alex Wood signing till this morning. So seemingly takes the lefty spot that Lester may have been slotted for but could still see then taking a cheap flyer on Paxton for a second lefty.

Gausman-Cueto-Paxton-Descalfini-Wood is serviceable.

5. Bozo said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:04 am

Was there some sort of settlement in the Mac Williamson lawsuit, that everyone signed this year would have a Mac Memorial Beard?

6. Carstie Clausen said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:26 am

Venezuelan shortstop at $1M. Diego Velazquez, no age listed in MLB official report by Jesse Sanchez, but from the pic, he looks about 15. The switch hitter (who’s better from the left side) came in at #22 on the Intl signing list. In the same spending class, the LaBumbos corralled one from the top ten at a tad over $2M. Defensively, the kid looks good, with soft hands and strong throws. Good baseball attitude and said to make hard contact. Some few left to be signed and SF has $4+M left in pool. Dogs struck twice already. Will the Johnson & Johnson regime spend some of that $$$ or will they lie low deep in the bowels of the pool?

7. djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:46 am

If feels like the mid 70’s, when the Reds & Dodgers were so much better than us that we were done by Memorial Day. My other teams were also in down periods. No wonder I got so into horse racing…

8. xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:08 am

It won’t be long.

• djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:11 am

Paging Zumiee…

• unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:31 am

Poor Ringo. No respect.

• xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:35 am

They all look like lugubrious gibbous moons.

• xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:25 am

Yeah the start of that song is one of the best in rock.

• chipower9 said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:32 am

• chipower9 said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:33 am

Thanks, Mike. Have seen this and other videos of him. I cannot wait to see this kid in person, either in the minors or in SF. Should be special. It has been a while since SF had a position player with his potential to truly be a star.

• djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 10:06 am

11 years sounds about right…

9. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:32 am

More like . . .

• xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:40 am

Not one of the best starts

10. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:39 am

Or this.

hs

11. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:44 am

Charles Johnson is such a PÓS, he donates more money then any other in all professional sports to shady causes in politics, and yet pulls a total Scrooge with the Giants cutting 10% are more across the board on staffers, coaches,concessions and using the pandemic as his out card! This old PÓS needs to step down if the Giants have any hope of moving forward he could care less about this team or fans..

• chipower9 said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:55 am

I don’t disagree with any of your points, Kat, but good luck with having Johnson step-down. While he has turned-over day-to-day operations to his son, he still is the majority owner. Don’t hold your breath re: him going anywhere anytime soon.

• xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:44 am

Johnson’s biz gets cut rate advertising on the wall behind the home plate ump . That’s sorta annoying.

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:14 am

Daddy Warbucks Johnson aint in charge….

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:16 am

I guaratenee you Charles Sr. does not give one iota of care about the Giants as a fan. Has anyone one time seen him at a game or on tv at a game. Never have and dont think he is really a fan. Was a feather in his very big pockets.

12. djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:52 am

The Beatles sure loved the word “yeah”…

• xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 10:08 am

Yeah

13. willedav said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:06 am

If you follow that tweet thread from Baseball America, they list Giants starting lineup plus SPs and closer for 2024. Dubon at 2b Bart 1b Luciano 3b Wilson SS Bailey C yada yada.
    2024

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:20 am

I cant see Dubon as the future in 2024 at 2b. I have Luciano penciled in there and hopefully a premier free agent SS by 2022…I can see Bailey if he can hit spending time at 3b and backing up Bart at catcher.

14. Macdog said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:07 am

Hey all, sorry I haven’t been here for awhile, as I told Flav, it’s been a hectic last few days for me. Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone who sent the pool $$$ and the congrat notes with it.

Chi
    Mudman
    Bird Dog
    San Dawg
    Loo
    GH
    Rebecca
    Mike R.

And, of course, Flav.

I’m just catching up here, but it looks like there’s another contest. Of course I’ll be taking part and looking to make it two straight, haha.

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:18 am

I want my money back from you this week Mac…

• Macdog said, on January 15, 2021 at 11:20 am

You’re not alone. I’m still trying to figure this one out.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2021 at 12:35 pm

rachel said she had deactivated her pp acct but that she’ll work on firing it up again. Let me know about her in the next week or so

• Macdog said, on January 15, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Ok.

• Macdog said, on January 15, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Also sent you my picks.

15. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2021 at 12:28 pm

I thought I sent mine, Mac. Let me check

• Macdog said, on January 15, 2021 at 12:36 pm

Got it, thanks Unca!

16. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Oooops. Payment didn’t work the other day. Got the confirmation for it this time.

17. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2021 at 12:37 pm

ahhh cool.

18. willedav said, on January 15, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Simon Bray calls the winner at 10-1 in 3rd at Santa Anita, Bang for Your Buck ridden by Victor Espinoza.
    GGF back in action, and Colavito at 7-2 wins 3rd. Don’t knock the Rock!

19. pawliekokonuts said, on January 15, 2021 at 4:15 pm

‘It Won’t Be Long’ is one of my favorite Beatles songs. Verve. Elan. Simple. (They didn’t sing it in Shea in the penultimate concert in 1966; Candlestick was the last). ‘Let It Be’ as an album is a hot mess; embarrassing.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on January 15, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Has it been beat to the ground here? I don’t think Joey Subway is ever going to be good as even Mike Sadek.

• alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Lol 😂 PK yeah until Bart hits a HR to atleast tie Kuiper he has nothing on him and far behind Sadek’s 5 career Homers..

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 15, 2021 at 4:28 pm

Geez. I thought Sadek had more than that. What about the very slow Marc Hill? Or Kurt Manwaring, which is an odd name?

• willedav said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:16 pm

There was a stretch where Giants went rent a C every season…Brent Mayne etc.

21. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:14 pm

Watched both Marc Hill and Kirk Manwaring play at the Stick.Hill was slower then a turtle 🐢 but he did show some occasional power with 34 homers.Manwaring a much better defender but less power with only 21 career homers.The one guy I remember I liked was Milt May I’m going to have to look up his stats, but he swung a decent bat with power and average I believe?

22. Flavor said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I’ve re-thought the Q-anon donations by our republican owner. That dude doesn’t check these politicians out he just fires off $2500 donations to anyone with an R next to their name. Can’t hate on that, that’s not out of the box or anything.

• Macdog said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:32 pm

I saw that statement. He’s either incredibly full of shit — which I believe he is — or he’s incredibly stupid for not doing even a little research on the Q whackjobs he donates to.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:49 pm

you’d be surprised. At that level those dudes are just donating to the party. Everyone gets $2500 (or whatever the top # is). Political donations aren’t tax deductible so I’m not sure why they don’t care about this money at all but that’s just how rich people roll. They give to their party and for someone like Johnson i HIGHLY doubt he’s following the Q-Anon movement. He sees R he donates to R. There’s nothing wrong with that, D’s do the exact same thing.

23. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Damm I knew there was something about Milt May I liked, he hit 77 career homeruns and even got himself a W/S ring in 1971 for the Pirates who sadly though beat the Giants in the playoffs that year to advance to the W/S. He played 3 seasons for the Giants starting in 1980-82 but still a reliable player and fan favorite..

• Bozo said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:32 pm

No love for Brenly?

24. James said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:41 pm

The chances of Wood and Desclafani both returning to form seem about as good as Bauer or whoever disappointing with an injury or Smarge-like season. Zaidi is probably enjoying himself immensely right now, feeling that he’ll luck out and the gap between SF and the SoCal teams won’t be 1976ish. Even if things fall apart, which they very well could, Kapler will always be one step away from a cathartic public hanging in SF after his unlucky start last year.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2021 at 5:51 pm

they’re all just “hope and pray” signings. These signings are a little like the way Baalke used to draft: draft guys coming off knee injuries and hope one or two hit. This is the opposite of that. Sign a bunch of rubber band and masking tape guys and hope 1 or 2 hang in there for the season.

• xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 6:11 pm

He’ll be ok for a while if he continues to lead the team in taking a knee

25. xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Donnie Barrels to arb over a 600K difference

26. Flavor said, on January 15, 2021 at 6:53 pm

get your picks into me by KO tomorrow if you want to play in the $20 NFLBBB. Zero pussies are submitting their entry to me right now.
    bigflavor77@gmail.com

27. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:27 pm

“Gausman-Cueto-Paxton-Descalfini-Wood” …… Ugh. Man, as much as missing championships, also missing the likes of Bum-Cain-Lincecum-Voggie-Zito or any variation thereof…. Seemed like mgmt. had a plan back then, drafting Cain then Lincecum then Bum. Haven’t seen much of a plan from (Z)Harris….

• djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:45 pm

Flavor had a pretty smart plan last year.
      Sign FA pitchers because they’ll come to AT&T and draft hitters cause they won’t…

28. sandog said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:40 pm

I THINK the plan is to get through this year on the cheap and then start spending next year with several big contracts off the books and hopefully some prospects starting to make an impact. If that is the plan, I am totally fine with what we are doing now.

I agree Let It Be is a lousy album. Abbey Road on the other hand, might be my favorite album of all time. I prefer to listen to the entire album from start to finish, rather than hearing random songs from it here and there.

I don’t give a damn what the Giants owner does with his money in politics. What do people do who are bothered by this? Start researching MLB owners to find someone whose political contributions they agree with and then THAT will be their new team. “I’m a Royals fan now cuz the owner gives tons of dough to Pelosi and Ilhan Omar–and those two are my favs.” Where does it stop? What if they then find out the Royals shortstop voted for Trump???? Should a public political questionnaire be required of all players/owners/club personnel??
    Absolute madness.

• djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Or does the small market mentality continue especially with LA & SD looking so far out of reach?

• sandog said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:11 pm

I don’t think they are suddenly going to get into bidding wars on premier free agents—and I don’t think they should (as Blade and others have said) until they are at least a .500 team, but I gotta believe we are going to step up the spending another notch or two from what we are doing now.

• xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:58 pm

Baggarly’s turned it into his big winter story. Apparently, the $11 million in political donations Johnson has dealt out since 2016 is well more than any other owner in sports has given. All conservative pols and pacs, it seems. I guess that tells us something about Johnson. But so what? He’s not thinking about moving the team.

• sandog said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:09 pm

Baggs just can’t leave the politics alone and he is so freaking partisan. Great writer, provides great coverage on the team, but man he kills me with the politics.

29. djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Kluber to Yanks for 1yr/$11 million…

30. djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 7:56 pm

I wonder what kind of crowds the Giants would get this season if COVID never happened…

31. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:11 pm

SanDog ..Well it does make sense to get rid of the rest of Sabes/Evans albatross contacts off the books first, but to continue to bring in washed up scrubs to fill out the roster while we have to wait another 2-3 years just pisses me off.I would just like more then “Hopes and Dreams” from Z&Harris Ranch..

As far as the Beatles for sure Abbey Road is great, but I could also listen to they’re double White Album anytime!

• sandog said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:19 pm

There was a thing on Twitter reecntly asking your favorite song on White Album. I said Dear Prudence. Chuck said While My Guitar……(which IS a great tune) Glass Onion was in contention for me as well.
      What would you have said?
      Worst tune on there? I’d go with O Bla Dee Blah Dah. Another granny song from Paul that doesn’t do it for me. My son claims John called some of Paul’s tunes “Granny Songs.” God, I hope that is true.

Last year, Z-mans scrap heap approach provided a surprisingly entertaining club. I was skeptical as hell, but he proved me wrong. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt now.

• djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:22 pm

Happiness Is A Warm Gun…

• sandog said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Nice!
        I was just looking at the track list for the White Album and it would be no problem at all for me to pare that sucker down to one solid album. For me, there is a fair amount of filler in there. (Piggies/Rocky/Obla/Honey/YerBlues for starters)
        Paul is a trip. He has all these granny tunes, but then he’ll thrown in a Helter Skelter or a Why Don’t We Do It In The Road in there every now and then just to keep you on your toes.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:30 pm

“I’m So Tired”…. “Revolution”…

• sandog said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Is that the Revolution that is played at a slower tempo? Great song either way, but I really dig that slow tempo version.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Both, actually, depending on the mood. Also Revolution #9 has some meaning to me: in ’73, the last year of the military draft lottery, my birthday came up number 9 …. I remember toking a doob that night and just playing that over and over again….. number 9…. number 9…. number 9…..

32. xoot said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:42 pm

I always kind of liked Yer Blues. Proto psychobilly. John pretending to be Elvis on a very bad trip.

• sandog said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:49 pm

I need to listen to the whole darn thing from start to finish this weekend.

• djloo27 said, on January 15, 2021 at 8:55 pm

It plays on a loop up at Spahn Ranch…

33. Macdog said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:32 pm

A couple White Album faves not mentioned: Back In the U.S.S.R., great way to open the album, and Sexy Sadie. Agree with sandog, though, there’s a lot of hit and miss.

34. Winder said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Magical Mystery Tour was always my favorite.

35. zumiee said, on January 15, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Joey Bart hit two triples. Go figure that.

36. Winder said, on January 15, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Looks like the teams pitchers and catchers will be reporting by the 3rd week of Feb. Just about a month from now, it will be nice to feel some excitement in the air.

37. zumiee said, on January 15, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album.
    The White Album has grown a lot on me over the years. I like big sprawling double-albums. Another great song from that album is “Martha My Dear,” more musically than lyrically. I marvel at how Paul plays that on piano. Where did he learn to play piano like that? John became a nice piano player, too. That’s all self-taught. That ain’t close to being easy. That’s just genius.
    The “Let It Be” album has some good moments. It was just an attempt to salvage a project that had crashed and burned. The album would have been improved with John’s “Don’t Let Me Down,” which is from those sessions. That great song ended up on a compilation album.

• zumiee said, on January 15, 2021 at 10:09 pm
  38. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 15, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Rubber Soul and Revolver were my favorite Beatles albums. Something about them just seemed to change things for me at that young age…..