A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Super Bowl Update

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 1, 2021

Gonna pass on a SB contest. The last one devolved into chaos with me awarding the spoils to Chi no less than 4 times before I finally realized it was actually the great Mr. Sports Dude who had won courtesy of the lightly regarded punts category. Plus, it’s kind of irritating to have to keep track of all those nick-nacky-paddy-wacky stats. I just want to watch the game.

1. gianthead said, on February 1, 2021 at 6:45 am

Once the last contest mentioned punts…

2. willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 8:16 am

cbs site had column where writer listed top 5 players, with Chiefs getting 4 of them, and then went down depth chart, where more Bucs began to show up especially on D, in linebackers and secondary. hmmnn

Props to Ish Smith and Wizards who put 149 on Nets and won in wild finish. Smith is generously listed at 6 feet, always been a fav to watch for his speed and quickness and ability to carve out niche as one of league’s smallest players. 0 turnovers in 23 solid minutes. 13 points 2 boards 7 assists 1 steal 6-9 from floor.

• Flavor said, on February 1, 2021 at 8:19 am

i watched that game from start to finish. I was struck by how much pressure he puts on the defense. And he can hit a 10 foot shot, something no one seems to try anymore.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 8:30 am

used to play well vs. GS, for other teams. Only watched first half when Wiz made a nice comeback after getting torched at start of game. I like their coach too Scott Brooks.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 8:39 am

Problem for all players is what happens when D runs you off 3 pt line. As a smaller player, more you penetrate closer you get to the monsters ready to block your shot into break at other end. Being able to jump stop and hit pull up or have the teardrop floater in your arsenal can work as counters.
        There are coaches who don’t like either one of those, even at HS level.

• Macdog said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:06 am

Wille, that’s at least two games Nets have lost because Nash doesn’t have a fucking clue what he’s doing. Two timeouts left, take one, inbound from halfcourt and go from there. And their defense is laughable. They’ve become the Doug Moe Nuggets on steroids.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:14 am

lulz,
        4th W for Wiz…yeah giving up 149 to some of the guys I saw on floor. You got the stars they do plus a night when Joe Harris gets 30. He didn’t call time out in second quarter when Wiz chopped into the big first quarter lead either. Unfortunate they gave up Allen and LeVert.

• Macdog said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:17 am

Yep, meanwhile Brooks called three timeouts in the first quarter to try and keep the Nets from running away, and it worked. Two of Wiz’s four wins vs. Nets.

3. willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 8:33 am

According to MLBTR story, talks still ongoing and players haven’t agreed to anything owners put out about reduced schedule, expanded playoffs, DH in NL, and delaying start of season by a month.
    As they put it, “…without a new deal in place to modify the terms of the current CBA, the players would proceed as usual towards the scheduled starts of ST and April 1 Opening Day.”

4. Flavor said, on February 1, 2021 at 8:56 am

for those of you who want to follow a fellow Grave Duggar superfan…..

5. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 9:32 am

If loving the Grave Duggar is wrong,
    I don’t want to be right…

6. willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:05 am

where is Austin Hedges anyway?

• Macdog said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:13 am

Cleveland, traded last season in Clevinger deal.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:16 am

still on 40 I guess. Career .198 hitter with slash line .198/.255/.356 for .612 OPS, yikes. Did whack 49 bombs for Pads 1220 ABs.

7. willedav said, on February 1, 2021 at 11:18 am

“Better offense?” slash line of .236/.281/.349 for OPS of .630 in 436 ABs (6 bombs) ain’t much to be proud of…7 SBs vs. 5 CS. analytics would say um stop doing it, eh?

8. alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2021 at 11:27 am

Hey Loo, Stay safe I hear NY is getting slammed with snow ❄️ for the next week are more!
    Could turn out like “Day after Tomorrow “ and your stuffing newspapers in your clothes for installation to keep warm..

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Been shoveling last couple of hours. At least a foot so far.
      It’s not really that bad right now…

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Kat. I keep reminding myself to take it slow…

9. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 1:02 pm

Screech died.
    Only 44…

• alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2021 at 3:19 pm

That’s a bummer he was one of my favorite nerds!
      Way to young for your life to come to a screeching halt!
      RIP Screech 🙏

10. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Anyone who thinks snow is pretty probably doesn’t have to shovel it…

• Winder said, on February 1, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Lol. Yeah, digging your car out at 6:00 in the morning is not at all fun. I hated the freezing rain the most though.

• unca_chuck said, on February 1, 2021 at 7:11 pm

Did that for 3 years in Colo. Me and a couple friends started a snowplowing company. We also shoveled roofs and shit.

• Carstie Clausen said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Being from NORTHERN Manysnowta, I could damn near write a book on the subject. Though it would be terra incognita to most all Flappers, the #1 absolute best show shovel is the steel grain-scoop, D-handled affair which was well known in agricultural areas, say 50 years ago. Nowadays, they prefer the much lighter aluminum type which is fine for grain, but can get shredded into spaghetti steel, when clanged against rocks of thick ice.

11. xoot said, on February 1, 2021 at 3:43 pm

Use one of those flamethrowers they sell now.

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 3:56 pm

Not sure I can be trusted with that thing, Xoot…

12. zumiee said, on February 1, 2021 at 6:06 pm

They should use those space lasers to melt the snow.

13. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 1, 2021 at 7:02 pm

“Anyone who thinks snow is pretty probably doesn’t have to shovel it…” Ain’t that the truth. My shoulders are still (and at this point, always will be) screwed up from all the shoveling during my Boston years. Winter of ’94, I believe, was the killer. I lived in the attic apartment (haha, sorry, penthouse) of an old farmhouse in an outlying Boston ‘hood, owned by a very very very old couple whose snow shoveling days were long gone, so I had to shovel the driveway everytime it snowed that year. It snowed 8 inches every 3 days from Jan. 1st til the end of March. The Boston Herald ran a contest for people to guess when the last bit of piled snow in the metro area would finally melt. It was the end of June, in a parking lot in Southie. I remember one early Sunday morning, shoveling again, had plans to drive up to Waterville Valley for a day of skiing, and I just looked up at the sky into the falling blizzard of the moment and started laughing hysterically. The old man leaned out his door to ask if I was ok. Yeah, sure, I’m ok. I’m also the fuck outta here. Took 2 years from that point to make it happen, but finally moved to California in ’96. With forever achy shoulders. Ugh. Pretty? I can think of a whole ton of ways to have “pretty” in my life without that crap…. (Bah humbug)

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 7:27 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 1, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Uh, yessir, that would be one of the ways….. I have an allstar lineup of pics of current and former uni students here. It would make you blush. Well, maybe not you…

• Carstie Clausen said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:22 pm

JeeZe. That Southie snowbank pulls rank (June, no less) on my place’s late-May ’96 plowed-up ones. Whodda thunk it.

14. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2021 at 8:23 pm

The latest word that I seem to hear a dozen times a day: pivot

Is everybody a fuckin’ robot?

• Carstie Clausen said, on February 1, 2021 at 10:24 pm

I get that from my physical therapist. Of course, she does have a good excuse for when it comes to back problems, dealing with several people per day who need to re-learn lifting. Thought I was doing fine till she filled me in on what I’d been doing for decades. “Pivot the feet,” she says

• djloo27 said, on February 2, 2021 at 4:21 am

At some point Stix, she may pivot from that advice.
        Right now I’m going to pivot from the kitchen to the bathroom…