A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Surprising Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 6, 2021

Man, I’d already penciled us in for 36 losses at the hands of the Pads and Dodgers. What to do? Might have to update that prediction. Terrible to see a superstar like Tatis go down but they sure look less imposing without him, aye?

Disco is going to be a main key for us this year. Assuming Gausman and Cueto can stay healthy, we need a reliable #3 and it’s possible he is going to be that guy. You can’t have only 40% of your SP’s bringin’ it with the rest flailing. He looked good in his first start.

1. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:12 am

Nice win. A bit tortuous.

I think we’ll do OK against the Friars and Bums, if past history (last several years) are an indication. With the exception of last year, we have played LA and SD tough. Hope the trend continued.

2. willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:14 am

Baggs described McGee’s save as wilson-esque. Outside of Caratini, not too much loud contact off DeSclafani,, good sign. After Cronenworth, hitters behind him went 1-18.

3. willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:16 am

As for what Loo said about 3-2 game taking 3 and a half hours, someone on Athletic said McGee half inning alone took 18 minutes. yikes As always, props to East Coast for hanging in.

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:18 am

25 pitches/13 strikes for McGee.

4. willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:21 am

While the 0-5 A’s continue to get asses kicked at home, losing 10-3 to LA last night, one of their scrubini pen guys managed to spike Bellinger in left leg on close play at 1b in 9th inning last night. vid on mlb.com widget
    they also beaned Taylor who came out of game later. Guess motto is if you’re going down, take somebody with you

5. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:26 am

The Slater play pissed me off yesterday. He had the better shot to catch it. He bailed at the end and then didn’t back up the play. 2 errors.

Bring in the GraveDuggar!

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:58 am

which didn’t happen…instead they went and signed another OF, Bolt, to add to the AAA competition.

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:13 am

I missed the play in question. Giants had one error last night and that was on Longoria. I don’t see Slater going anywhere unless he just really tanks, and starts screwing the pooch in the field.

6. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:36 am

Last night’s was the type of close-fought, hard-won, nail-biter sort of game one might expect between a pair of contending teams in mid-late September. Had Tatis not overdone his extravaganza approach to most everything, the outcome may have varied considerably. Remove him from the equation and the Padres’ offense is pretty average.

“Wilsonesque:, as per Willedav’s take, certainly described Fibber McGee’s outing. Didn’t catch it via gameday, but what was that 9th inning delay all about? That game, frustrating as it was at times, was like one of those bowls of popcorn, complete with lieutenant kernels and major chompers, that you cannot put down no matter what.

Discovery of Disco may make for a somewhat stable rotation.

Welcome to the intensity of the NLW.

7. Macdog said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:48 am

Good job by Jersey guy DeSclafani, though I still don’t know why he served up a hit-me pitch to Caratini with the pitcher on deck, the only run he allowed. Only thing that concerns me is there were a few hard-hit at-’ems, he might not be so lucky next time.

Now that the Giants won, how about that reaction by Caratini on his sac fly? He raised his arm giving the #1 sign as if he just hit a walk-off, when all he did was tie the game. Seemed a bit over the top, and made Yaz’s go-ahead blast all the sweeter.

8. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:56 am

Don’t expect a nail-biter, down to the wire tonight what with Aaron Sanchez going against Yu Darvish. If production in ST games are an indicator, Sanchez has yet to recapture his pre-injury 2019 form. Though not so hot in his first appearance, Darvish had one helluva year with the Cubs in 2020.

9. Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:04 am

Winning by only hitting solo shots is a tough way to go, but I’ll take it, put it in the Win column. Sorry he got hurt, but the Pads possibly losing Tatis for the rest of this series works for me

• alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:16 am

Tatis has a partial dislocated shoulder, he will be out for sometime especially with how hard he swings it could happen again, he’s also been injury prone so far in his young career,wonder if the Padres are regretting throwing 340 million his way with his injury track record?

10. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:08 am

Anytime you get a win out of your 4-5 starters it’s a bonus! I was impressed with Disco making be pitches to get out of jams and pumping up a 95 high heater for his last pitch of his night to K a Padre to preserve the lead was great.His 1st run allowed is what pissed me off, because that’s on Dumbshit Kotter who still defies basic baseball knowledge when you have a runner on 2nd with 2 outs and a pitcher on deck, u don’t pitch to the 8th place hitter a ACTUAL BIG LEAGUE HITTER(hello McFly???) there is no way but 4 fingers and the walk is what Bochy would of done every time and it’s the right move..

11. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:19 am

Between 2011 and 2019, the avg. length of a game climbed from 2:56 to 3:05. There were about 30,000 more pitches thrown in 2019 over 2011, or a 1000 pitches per team. At 25 seconds a pitch, that accounts for about 5-6 minutes of the difference. Unfortunately, the data pre 2011 was not readily available on BR. Not scientific, but it does support the theory that the central problem is pitchers throwing harder and batters being smarter.

I wondered if replays made up a significant portion of the rest of the gap. I was surprised to see that reviews happen in only about half of all games, taking an avg. of 1.5 minutes.

12. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:27 am

Mac is spot on about “disco” or whatever the hell you guys call him.

One writer said, “I don’t know if there’s a word for what I’m trying to say. We need a baseball word for when someone’s descriptive stats are good, even if their predictive ones are not. xFIP for the game was 5.35, the result of walking a trio of batters. He allowed 7 runners in 5 innings while striking out just 4. He also worked his way out of trouble time and time again, and managed to only give up 1 run against a deadly offense. He was an enormous part of the Giants win — arguably the largest part of the win. He also did very little that made you feel particularly confident about him going forward.”

I also agree with what Stix said about Tatis being out early was a big advantage for us. See what’s what tonight and tomorrow with their #1 and #2 starters (Darvish and Snell).

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:50 am

only striking out 4 in 5 innings? 7.2 K’s for 9 innings is not bad at all, I would take that if he could produce that for the year.

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2021 at 10:19 am

Me, too…especially for your 4th or 5th starter.

13. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:27 am

” . . . the walk is what Bochy would of done every time” You sure about that, Kat? Isn’t taking a chance to get a crappy # 8 hitter to chase for out number 3 one of those beloved non-DH “strategies” we’ll miss so much?

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 10:09 am

yes it was good idea imo. If you get the #8 hitter out to end the inning, the pitcher spot (practically an auto out) would be leading off next inning instead of top of the order. No problem with strategy, it was DeSclafani hanging one and giving Caratini too good a pitch to hit.

• alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2021 at 10:15 am

A crappy 8th place hitter is far more dangerous then a pathetic automatic out in a pitcher.Why give up a cheap run to tie it up when you easily go back into the dugout still up. Yeah I think Bochy walks the guy atleast 9 out of 10 times James. And that getting the 8th place hitter out to have the pitcher lead off the next inning is BS if it cost you a run in that inning.I just don’t believe in giving up silly avoidable runs which Kapler has proven to do a lot of in his short tenure here.

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 10:30 am

Let’s hope the next 9 times Kap follows the path of The 8 1/4 Master.

• djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 11:11 am

Drove me nuts how Bochy would never pitch around Goldschmidt, Arenado, Myers, etc…

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 11:34 am

Still say it’s on the pitcher. If mgr. lets him pitch to 8 hitter he has to know the situation and not give him anything to hit. Yes, a walk isn’t going to hurt you with base open, so pitch accordingly.

14. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:40 am

Desclafani did keep the ball in the yard. He ain’t great, but I didn’t see anything that would lead me to believe we won’t necessarily get the 2016-19 version. The underlying numbers were pretty consistent those years.

15. Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:48 am

Disco doesn’t need to be something he’s not. he’s no #1 nor is he being paid like a #1. Just be better than a 5, I think he can do that and if he can he’ll help us

16. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:57 am

Good win for the G’s! Any win this year against the Pads or Dog-ears will count as good in my book, regardless of how ugly they might be. DeSclafani has better stuff than I realized, hopefully he can just keep them in games as the season wears on.

Longoria has been impressive as hell to me. He’s really quick right now and has a great approach at the plate. That was a 97 mph heater on the outer half and he squared it up perfectly. Yeah, it was up, but at that velocity it’s still a tough pitch to get on top of. At 35 he seems to be undergoing a bit of a renaissance and it looks legit to me. Maybe he’ll carry it all the way through and have a great year. He keeps himself in great shape.

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 10:14 am

It’s so weird to see him turn a DP due to being on other side of IF in shift vs. LH. Would be great if power stroke continues even if BA suffers a bit. Maybe being able to have more regular ST really helped.

17. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2021 at 10:06 am

And I was sorry to see the Tatis injury. I don’t like to see guys go down like that, but he’s young and will bounce back. My guess is the Padres will be extremely cautious before bringing him back. I like the kid and he’s a prodigious talent, obviously. Let’s see if the Giants can grab another W and win the series.

18. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2021 at 11:42 am

Well that’s the issue with sinker ballers. Leave one up and it usually leaves the yard. DeScaffolding looked like a decent enough pitcher. He just has to hit his spots or he will end up whistling past Wisler.

That’s true of anyone, but high velocity guys can get away with location mistakes more than the junk ballers. Webb seems to be the only velocity guy but he got predictable and got rocked.

19. Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 12:09 pm

340 mil for damaged goods. LOL that is unbelievable. I didn’t know this guy had a bad shoulder but the Pads obviously did.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 12:09 pm

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Interesting twitter thread. Gotta wonder how misplaced the Pads fans “we’re loaded we’ll be fine” optimism will prove to be, or not. Still solid club with plenty of pitching.

20. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Shoulder problems are sucky in that once you start dislocating them, it tends to happen over and over. he should prolly get it repaired right from the get-go rather than go through 2-3 dislocations this year.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 12:23 pm

goddamn, they knew his shoulder was fucked up and they still decided to give him 340 mil? Shit why not wait, keep paying him shit, and wait for him to get it fixed?

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 1:10 pm

I don’t know what the Pads insurance policy is with Tatis, but it could make up for a partial seating year if he’s out the whole season. You never know.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 1:32 pm

A subluxated humerus is no laughing matter I guess, but this one is odd. How much would you have to pay to insure against that injury on a guy with a pre existing condition? Btw is that where the medical term funny bone has its origin?

21. snarkk said, on April 6, 2021 at 12:59 pm

The Pads and Tatis’ shoulder situation appears possibly dumber than the Giants giving $120 Million to Cain when they knew he had a sack of sand inside his right elbow. Get the surgery, see how it goes, then do the deal. Too late, now. He needs to have the surgery; just get it done, he’s young and should rehab well. At least it’s not his throwing arm. Looks like one full season of big salary and no production. Huge hit to the Pads chances…

• Winder said, on April 6, 2021 at 1:26 pm

Before I finished your first sentence i put Zito’s name in place of Cain’s. The Giants obviously like to pay players that have performed well for them. I loved Nen but he was finished before his new contract. IIRC.

22. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2021 at 1:29 pm

He first messed up his shoulder early on in ST making a throw from SS to 1B, so it’s not just batting that first affected him,so the training staff already knew he had an issue with it.Probably said suck it up get an injection in the shoulder and we expect you out there everyday,with that mind blowing contract for a guy who has a history of being injured..

23. dodgerdomination said, on April 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm

I’m a bitch.

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2021 at 1:56 pm

One fake championship and talking shit? I don’t even recognize last “season” and I certainly don’t recognize your piece of shit championship. Do you punks brag about this in “Lost Again”? Hilarious, if so.

24. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Pads still look like a 90 win team without Tatis. Hosmer and Myers did play above their career norms last year, so that would be something to watch for. The 2011 Giants won 86 games . . . .

25. zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 3:44 pm

Speaking of money….in general the writers for Time magazine do a great job of explaining things in their articles, and the article I’m going to mention is no exception. But the problem is, no matter how well it was explained, I wasn’t going to really get it. The article was about Bit Coin and crypto-currency in general, and NFTs (non-fungible tokens) and blockchains. I guess if I really dug into the topics, I would eventually understand them, maybe. But I just don’t have the desire to do that.
    I saw a news headline that said Tom Brady was going to get involved with an NFT. So everything has to be digital. At least vinyl albums are making a little bit of a comeback. And I can still buy paper magazines and newspapers (for now.)

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 3:58 pm

I think the key to understanding Bitcoin is the fact that there’s a finite number of the things. Some explanatory articles don’t even mention that. They get harder and harder to “mine” as the supply dwindles, I think. The computer power required to get a new one is huge.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:05 pm

The mining of Bitcoin. My brain will have a ways to go to fathom that concept.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Friend of mine runs a fairly large, private social network. Bitcoin miners hijacked the site’s servers a few years ago, messed things up badly.

26. zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 3:48 pm

I notice the military commercials now try to recruit people by making war look like a video game, and emphasizing fighting in battles. So opposite of when I was in high school in the mid-1970s. Military recruiters back then never talked about fighting in battles. They just talked about learning a skill in the military so when you get out you can get a good job using that skill.

27. zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Today is the anniversary of the first day of the Battle of Shiloh in the U.S. Civil War. A battle so incredibly deadly that an observer said, after the battle, a person could have walked across the entire battlefield just stepping on bodies, without their feet touching the ground.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 3:59 pm

A baseball connection is that baseball was a common game played by some Civil War soldiers during their recreation time. Abner Doubleday was a Civil War soldier who possibly played a little bit of baseball, but had NOTHING to do with the invention of the sport. Someone needs to tell Mike Krukow that. He really should know that already. Krukow’s good for at least once a season saying that Doubleday invented baseball.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:02 pm

At some point, MLB decided it needed a creation myth for the sport, and chose Doubleday. He was sort of a Civil War hero for having been at Fort Sumter during the opening cannon shots of the war. And he was from the upstate New York area where the Hall of Fame is located.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:09 pm

The Doubleday myth has been debunked a lot over the years. And I think professional baseball broadcasters should know that.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:12 pm

There’s no one inventor of baseball. A zillion different places had a zillion different rules, and a guy named Alexander Cartwright did put together a rulebook that standardized rules. 9 players, 3 outs per inning, etc. He has the greatest claim for being the inventor.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:15 pm

I think this is a fun fact- there’s no minimum height for the pitcher’s mound in the rulebook. Only a maximum height. A hometeam could flatten the mound before a game and not be breaking the rules.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:18 pm

when I was ten, my nextdoor neighbor and I played catch on a diamond next to the HOF. I am absolutely sure that’s the field where Doubleday yelled play ball for the first time. Absolutely.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:32 pm

I haven’t been to the Hall of Fame yet. Definitely would like to go there someday.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:35 pm

And the Smithsonian, and a bunch of other cool museums that I haven’t been to yet. I have been to a lot of great ones in California and the west coast in general.

• snarkk said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Smithsonian, a mix of different museums in DC and NY, is fantastic. I lived in DC metro for 3+ years a long time ago, the Air & Space is great, the Natural History, the Hirschhorn and Freer for art, American History, Portrait Gallery all are good. I hear the African American and American Indian Museums are very good. The Holocaust museum in DC is great; not associated with Smithsonian. The Spy Museum is not associated, but is fun. You could spend 2 weeks in DC just seeing Smithsonian Museums, and you still wouln’t have “seen” them really well. The museum part of the baseball HOF is great. The HOF room itself is a bunch of plaques, and IMO has a feeling of fake importance. Just my take. I’d rather see all the cool museum stuff like Ruth’s bats, Ty Cobb’s spikes, Tris Speaker’s gloves, Bonds’ testing pee cup (joking), etc…

• snarkk said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:16 pm

My top art/culture/science museums I’ve seen:
        Louvre (Paris)
        The Met (NY)
        Guggenheim (NY)
        Musee d’Orsay (Paris – coolest museum on my list)
        Munchmuseet (Oslo – dedicated to one artist, shows all phases of his life)
        Rijksmuseem / Van Gogh Museem (Amsterdam)
        Sistine Chapel and the walls of the Vatican private residence
        Uffizi (Florence)
        Deutsches (science and tech) Museum (Munich — like the Exploratorium in SF on steroids)
        Belvedere (Vienna — lots of Klimts)
        El Greco (Toledo, Spain)
        Air and Space (DC and Virginia)
        Natural History (NY)
        Mass MOCA (N. Adams, MA – crazy, fun)
        MLB HOF and Museum (Cooperstown)

28. zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:23 pm

This is part of the myth: “A special commission constituted by sporting-goods magnate Albert Goodwill Spalding affirmed in 1908, after nearly three years’ purported study of the game’s true origin, that baseball was assuredly American for it had been created from the fertile brain of twenty-year old Abner Doubleday in Cooperstown, New York.”
    I guess part of the thing was that they were trying to prove that baseball wasn’t just a variation of England’s cricket. Baseball had to have an American origin, and who better than a war hero?

29. zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Basketball is so much more clear-cut. Naismith nailed up some peach baskets on opposite ends of a gymnasium, tossed out a ball of some kind, and said “play ball!”

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:28 pm

Fun fact: Zacharias Smith was the first person to get a high ankle sprain playing basketball. (kidding)

30. Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:38 pm

This doesn’t have anything to do about Doubleday or the Civil War but I always liked the connection between baseball and music. Touring big bands used to play local teams during the day to promote their shows that night and maybe make a little extra cash while just hanging out in that town. The term Jazz goes back to a 1913 news article about the SF Seals losing their jazz. This is a fun read for the music/baseball buffs.

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:46 pm

wow cool story thanks man. Great pics too!

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:48 pm

I don’t know. I think Black people in the US of A were talking about their “jes grew” songs before the turn of the century.

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Yeah I think you’re right that the term was probably used earlier, but maybe the first time documented in the news? Still, I like the connection with the SF Seals.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:07 pm

It’s a great story all around.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:00 pm

Cool article, Bozo; thanks!

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Nice, thanks for sharing.

31. willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 4:49 pm

Meanwhile, following Mets game on cbs site, clicked on tweet from Anthony DiComo about Sandy Alderson holding a meeting with players and inviting health group to talk to them about vaccine. As noted, prior to Opening Day MLB and the players union both agreed that if 85% of team got vaccinated restrictions would be reduced.

Alderson: “There are incentives for public health. There are incentives to lift the kinds of restrictions they’re (players coaches etc.) faced with now.”
    Hope this works.

32. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:09 pm

Zumie, one way to start getting a more intuitive feel for how bitcoin works is to read about how the underlying blockchain technology is starting to be applied in other domains. Before I retired, I was one of Cal’s reps in a higher ed consortium looking at the use of blockchain for digital credentials, which really helped me cut through some of the complexities. Check out this short article, which at the end links to a very good white paper I was a review author on:

View at Medium.com

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Interesting! As Tom Brookshier would say: “The future is really ahead of us!”
      When I see this sentence, though, “The use of public blockchains makes it possible to guarantee unlimited storage of data over time,” it makes me wonder about the storage of data. It’s hard for my generation to fully trust it.
      I’ve read Neal Stephenson’s novel “Cryptonomicon” twice. That was published in the late 1990s and was kind of an early forerunner of some of this. I want to re-read that novel again at some point. Very interesting novel and fun to read because Stephenson has a very engaging and humorous style.

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:04 pm

The decentralization, immutability, anonymity, and redundancy of the transactional process and ledger are what’s supposed to create trust. Immutability makes things tricky when you have to deal with successful grade appeals.

I never made it all the way through “Cryptonomicon,” even though it was entertaining.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:42 pm

did you get in on bitcoin early?

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Haha, no, I have yet to buy any. Blockchain as panacea was a running joke in the office, and I was mocked by the programmers who actually understand this shit for getting as involved as I did.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:55 pm

my son the engineer bought some, I believe. He gets cagey when I ask about it.

• unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Thanks, perfesser.

• unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:00 pm

Good stuff. Years ago Ii worked in PKI doing tech docs for VeriSign. Such big ambitions. Got there in 2000 when they were tiny, and still had some RSA engineers involved. Rode through the Class 3 cert fisco, the domain slamming charge, the acquisition and dumping of Network Solutions, and the backdating of stock options that got Stratton Scavlos fired. Good times. I was only there 3 years, but it was crazy.

Had $2.5 million in unvested options before the crash and subsequent layoff of me and 2,699 other folks. So close . . .

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:18 pm

And to think you used to argue with me about the validity of a team’s season run differential. Like a nurse who doesn’t get vaccinated.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:31 pm

going from 2.5 million to 60K overnight would shake my faith in theoretical projections

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:38 pm

LOL. The utility is in measuring how successful the GM has been. That’s the job: optimize the run differential with your resources, both current players and $$$.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:44 pm

Giants are at .500 right now; but their Pythagorean w/l % is .472. Zaidi sucks.

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:51 pm

5. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    6. Buster Posey (R) C
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Austin Slater (R) CF
    9. Aaron Sanchez (R) P

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Wilmet at 2b, hmmnn. Interesting Posey catching tonight–means Casalli likely catches Gausman tomorrow then after day off Posey catches Cueto Friday. Slater in CF another off day for Dubon.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 5:53 pm

the LU switch last night, with Yaz out, sort of highlighted an issue: who can play RF? Yaz and Slater. Especially at home. Dick would be a risk. Ruf, worse. Ramos will be up soon, I bet.

34. djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Is Longoria’s oppo HR swing something new?
    It’s awesome on the road but not so advisable at Ora-Kale…

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:10 pm

I think all 3 were more to the RF side of right center.

35. Irish Kevin said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:36 pm

Zumie, that had to be after 1975 when the Viet war was over and the service became voluntary. Prior to that kids were going to Canada or Mexico to get away from the draft.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:52 pm

or to college

36. Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:37 pm

Kevin Pillar just stole home. That’s 1.0 for ol’ time sake

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:42 pm

Was it a swish (no runner on 1st trying a steal) or a bank shot?

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:53 pm

double steal so I’d rank that more in the bank shot category than a swish.

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:57 pm

“no runner on first trying to steal” Ugh.

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:11 pm

and there was an errant throw not snagged by SS so ball went into the OF.
        But yes pillar is credited with the SB. Just not something he did on his own like straight steal.

37. djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:52 pm

Time for a couple of Brandon bombs tonight…

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 6:56 pm

Let me check my watch, yep, the time is right.

• djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:17 pm

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:32 pm

See.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:53 pm

CRAWDADDY actualizes the first half of your prophecy. Good one.

38. djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:07 pm

I thought the Giants were a jinxed franchise prior to 2010.
    Long time Padre fans should be thinking the same thing…

39. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:18 pm

Nine offerings from Darvish in the first made SF hitters look like a high school team.

40. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Developing pattern? Last night there were 3 Pads who singled on sharp ground balls through the infield and into center. Just now Pham hit yet another such? Are there shortstops in MLB who would have snagged any of them or are Giants IFers misaligned, OR are they sizzling right past the mound? No teevee coverage here.

41. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:26 pm

Employing a lot of change-ups, Sanchez did better than I’d expected in his first inning.

42. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Not going to argue with the results after 1, but no sign yet of the 95+ from the bullpen session just prior to his signing.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:32 pm

agreed. That always sounded weird to me.

• djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:39 pm

Sanchez could be the love child of Kirk Rueter & Julian Tavarez,,,

43. zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:27 pm

“that had to be after 1975 when the Viet war was over and the service became voluntary.”

Yeah, those first years after the war the U.S. military didn’t have their recruiting approach worked out very well. The message was something like “The military sucks, but we’ll teach you a job skill you can use when you get out.”

44. Macdog said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Pillar steals home: https://www.mlb.com/video/mets-score-on-double-steal

45. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:38 pm

Darvish has employed a wide variety of pitches and works those margins of the plate readily. His 7 pitch confrontation with Buster saw his sliders as the most effective. At least the middle of the lineup pulled his pitch count up a bit higher.

46. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:40 pm

Myers splats the second ground single of the night already–a soft dap to Crawford.

47. xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:42 pm

Anyone else surprised to see Buster using the one knee down behind the plate now?

48. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:46 pm

Kim slaps their 3rd ground-single, this time towards Wilmer.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:57 pm

Wilmer made a surprisingly good diving stop. Couldn’t hop up and make the throw in time but I think he saved a run.

49. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:48 pm

This time their grounder was not so lucky as Carrot spats one to Longo and gets doubled-up in the process.

50. zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:50 pm

J.T. Snow was on KNBR talking smack about the Giants’ defense. He was pretty rough on them about it.

51. Macdog said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Craw bomb!

52. djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:51 pm

You’re welcome…

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Great call.

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Hoping the other gets one too if he ever decides to swing the bat.

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:04 pm

He’ll K swinging at one out of the zone next AB to avoid looking at another one.

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:20 pm

You were half right.

53. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:52 pm

another fuckin’ solo

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Hey. Don’t knock em. If its all we get, we’ll take em.

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:00 pm

I’m at peace with them. Trying to keep in touch with my KNBR caller side.

54. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Do they pass 235 HRs this year?

55. Flavor said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:03 pm

One Brandon down One to go!!!!!

56. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Appears that Darvish was wary of Yaz, but suckered Dick on one under his armpit, about the only place you can consistently prevent LH batters from doing much damage. Popped out to SS. Pitch-count is rising. Now an even 50 over 3 innings. Keeps up the rate and he’ll go six.

57. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:07 pm

4th ground-single by Pads. This time its a softie from Crone to Sanchez.

58. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:10 pm

MuchoMacho grounds their fifth dirt-single to the left side, this time.

59. djloo27 said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:11 pm

That pitch had more hang time than a Ray Guy punt…

60. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:12 pm

With their 6th grounder that bursts through into center, Hosmer ties the score. What is this—the death of a thousand cuts? Should any of those grounders been caught by superior infielders, or are they seeing-eye-balls?

61. Macdog said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Great camerawork there.

62. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Pleasant surprise. Sanchez has pitched better than my expectations, through four, particularly in that latter inning. In the third he was unfazed by two baserunners and got that last out.

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Agreed. I didn’t think he should have pitched the 5th and I was wrong.

63. willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:32 pm

10 HRs for Giants. 6 by BC (sans any from Belt) plus Ruf Slater Dickerson and Yaz.

64. Macdog said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Nice outing for Sanchez, sets down last 7.

65. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Pham worked him, fouling off 4, but Sanchez got him on a foul-tip. First two outs were hit hard. Sixth inning may be the key for both teams as top of SF lineup and then meat of the order for SD. Pitch count has closed in again with those nine to Pham to 74 for Sanchez vs. 79 for Darvish.

66. willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:54 pm

Counting 5 innings/1 run given up by Sanchez tonite, Giants SPs first time through have given up 9 earned runs in 27 2/3.

• willedav said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:59 pm

2.90 ERA combined.

67. James said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Yep, but two hard hit balls, losing velocity, hope he gets through next inning.

• James said, on April 6, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Well, there’s Moronta.

68. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:00 pm

BBIP liner to center gets Flores and Darvish escapes with a 10 pitch inning. Can Sanchez last another inning facing the meat of the Pads?

69. Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:06 pm

Working on a yellow flag call?

70. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:07 pm

That was funny as hell.Moronta tagging out Machado and sending him flying!
    Man I didn’t know Moronta turned into this big of fat fuck, but he can still get that belly moving when needed too..

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Well, we did need a replacement for Pablocito, El Gordo.

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:10 pm

I thought Machado did a bit of acting on that play. 1,2,3 good inning by Moronta.

71. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:08 pm

Fourteen pitches for Moronta. His sliders sucked shit, almost all going low and outside. He got them on 4-seamers, a couple at-ems were snagged.

72. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Bad call there on Belt

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:20 pm

Yeah he decided not to swing and didn’t.

73. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Some of Kaps choices befuddle me. Belt batting cleanup when he isn’t grooved in yet?

74. mrsprtdude said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Subluxing the front shoulder is a more common injury now that the players swing harder (trying to hit homers when no one cares if they strike out?) and to those players who let go of the bat with the top hand. Watch the replay. Tatis lets go with top (right) hand and the momentum of the bat is so strong it brings his left arm out of the socket as the left arm travels behind the back.

Not an issue with players who hold on with top hand
    To try and play with it will be hard. Likely less effective. Like playing golf when you have pain on the follow through. Your brain is mentally flinching before it happens and the muscles tighten up. He should have the surgery now. My guess is he won’t, will play badly, and give up some time in June. Still time to be back for next year. A bummer. I really like the way he plays, even if for the pads.

• xoot said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:19 pm

Interesting stuff

75. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:17 pm

Strikeouts galore. Giants hitters swinging like a whore on a barn-door.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2021 at 9:23 pm