Drew Robinson

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 7, 2021

Have any of you been following this story? I have, only casually. I heard this guy tried to kill himself last year and failed but I had no idea that his comeback involved the Giants. He’s playing for Sacramento?

Last night was his first game back and he struck out four times. With one eye.

Forgetting the K’s since they aren’t part of this story, it’s really incredible that a guy could blast himself in the face, somehow live from it, and then make it all the way back to baseball? But one step away from the major leagues?

I’m not sure how you play ball with 1 eye at any level. Close an eye right now and imagine trying to pick up the spin on a ball coming at you at 95.

And yet here he is, nearly all the way back from what should have been death.

Robin Williams said “Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.”

If only everyone lived their lives that way.

1. Bozo said, on May 7, 2021 at 6:32 am

I had read about this guy but I also didn’t realize he was in the Giants system. With Robin Williams in mind, I’ll avoid the obvious jokes, but I bet the opposing team benches won’t.

2. djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:34 am

Chiefs had a TE named Fred Arbanas who I think was blind in one eye.
    And of course Jets’ great, Wesley Walker.
    And a few race horses, too…

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:36 am

Arbanas passed less than month ago.

3. chipower9 said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:41 am

Had not heard about this guy, so obviously was not aware he was in our system. Hallelujah on the Robin Williams quote and agree on if everyone lived their lives that way.

I know we are only about a fifth of the way into the season, but this series is a big one. The seven against the bums at the end of the month will be huge, too.

4. Winder said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:43 am

From what I have been reading anyone who can make some SJ Giants games should check out Matos and Harrison

“The Giants drafted Harrison in the third round of last year’s draft but signed him away from a commitment to UCLA with a signing bonus equivalent to the cost of a late first-round pick. After working primarily in the low-90s as an amateur, the De La Salle High School alum almost immediately began showing premium velocity. According to Norris, those gains have carried over to this season, “The lefthander’s fastball has sat in the mid 90s this spring and bumped as high as 98 mph with riding life through the strike zone.” He added that Harrison flashed a plus slider as well, quickly showing scouts a strong two-pitch mix.

Matos has been turning heads for some time with an exceptional combination of athleticism and bat speed. In his first official spring training stateside, the Venezuelan impressed several pro evaluators. Norris noted that “There are some rough edges to polish,” but added that he’s already made some improvements, showing “more adjustability in his whippy, explosive swing this spring.”

5. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:05 am

Thairo Estrada went 4-5 with bomb 4 rbis for Sac, and Bart homered.
    At Richmond, Ramos 3-4 double and homer.
    Not so good for SP Hjelle, who gave up 3 bombs in 3 2/3
    Wilson Bishop and Bailey 3-14 for Eugene. SP Corry got bombed in his 2 innings 5 hits 5 walks 2 earned
    No one at SJ did much hitting and Luciano didn’t play

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:16 am

Get Thairo here now!

6. pawliekokonuts said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:15 am

A fellow Giants fan who sometimes posts here, who lives in my state, texted me about Drew Robinson when ESPN did a VERY long piece on him a while back. Dennis was like, You gotta read this amazing, inspiring story. Fair enough. I read it. Most of it. As I said, it was long. It left me unsettled more than inspired. Then I shared the story with my youngest daughter, 23 at the time. She was pissed. Sort of at me, more at ESPN. She was like, I can’t explain it, pissed that such a private matter was being exploited, that the story was not over, that it glossed over some things, etc. I can’t articulate it, but she made me see why I was unsettled, not seeing it so much as a triumph as an opportunity to discuss mental health. No, that’s the wrong wording. I don’t know. Something opportunistic about it, Hallmark TV special, when in fact it is extremely private and delicate. There were weird things, too, like he saved the gun and memorialized, fetishized, something else (floorboard?), allegedly to motivate him. Don’t get me wrong. I am not rooting against the guy. Of course not. But there’s something unseemly about the publicity. And I’m not even a member of the British royal family.

7. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:04 am

Santa Anita resumes racing on Friday today and fans supposed to be allowed in.
    Last Sunday Prat and Rispoli returned after Derby. Prat won first race Rispoli the last, and in between Prat won 4th 5th and 6th before Abel Cedillo won 7th–4 winners first day back.

8. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:07 am

Pads half game back in loss column to Giants. SF 10-3 at home (aided by 5-1 vs. Rox) SD 9-4 on road.

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:11 am

Run differential Giants +25 at home. They’ve only allowed 34 runs in 13 games.

9. pawliekokonuts said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:54 am

SD lost 10 games in a row for us near or at the end of the 2010 regular season. Without that help, I think we’d have been watching reruns of Dynasty in October. (Actually, never saw it; no nudity). So …….do we want the Padres to lose 10 in a row now or at the end of the season?

• unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:56 am

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:59 am

Yes to now? I agree. Go for the kill. I believe “moneyshot” is the technical term in the adult entertainment industry.

• unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 1:52 pm

Yes to both . . .

10. pawliekokonuts said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:58 am

Totally off topic, but I know this blog features folks who know lots and lots and lots about music (and food; Twinfan, R.I.P.). Anybody ever hear of or see Rhiannon Giddens? I got introduced to her yesterday. Jayzus! (She was with the Carolina Chocolate Drops.)

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 11:10 am

oh my blues photographer buddy absolutely loves her. He’s sent me vids featuring her own stuff and performing with others.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 7, 2021 at 11:20 am

sublime

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2021 at 11:23 am

I have seen her live (solo with her own band…post Carolina Chocolate Drops). Love her.

• Winder said, on May 7, 2021 at 11:45 am

Thanks for sharing Rhiannon Giddens. Somehow I missed her in my music wanderings. I won’t miss her again. Thanks again for the find.

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2021 at 11:48 am

I’ve seen her live twice. The second time was really, really good. The first time was flat out amazing, an incredible live performance.

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2021 at 11:53 am

She’s the real deal IMO.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Yes she is. Incredible show when I saw her live.

11. Flavor said, on May 7, 2021 at 12:17 pm

anyone at this show? Feels like something Unca Chuck would have been at

• Winder said, on May 7, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Day on the greens were a lot of fun. Had a ticket for this one but scored some really good acid in the parking lot the night before and decided to go up to Tahoe instead. They finally stopped letting people spend the night in the parking lot after awhile.

• Winder said, on May 7, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Correction: it was the Eagles show that I went to Tahoe on. Don’t know why I thought it was the Zep show.

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Didn’t see that one.
      Some years ago I did see him and the Shapshifters(?) down in New Orleans.

• unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Sadly I missed the Zep show. It was one of their last US concerts as they slowed their touring down, Bonzo Bonham died a couple years later. I saw the Frampton/Skynyrd concert a couple weeks before this. It was near the end of their run as the plane went down later that year iirc.

12. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 1:30 pm

I was at this concert Led Zepplin rocked as always! Days on the Green were awesome!
    Jimmy Page amazing god on his double neck guitar along with Robert Plant booming vocals.I was ok early on then the gallon of rum& punch in a milk carton along with endless amounts of joints kicked in and when all my friends wanted to build a human pyramid and I was on the bottom the end was near as I collapsed during Stair Way to Heaven, appropriate song with they way I felt..

Did see them at Kezar Stadium in 71 as well that was my 1st concert and it was a great show even better then the 77 show they seemed to have more energy I think they were wrapping up a long tour in 77. Opening Act in 71 was The Tubes who nobody ever heard of? They were actually pretty good and comical at the same time. When they played White punks on Dope, they were tossing white powder, I assume flour? along with pills who knows what those were to the audience it was hilarious..

13. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 2:01 pm

I saw the Tubes in ’74 at a small theater at Stanford right when their 1st album came out. Mom took 8 of us 7th and 8th graders in her Ford Granada. Naked chicks dancing on motorcycles, Quay Lewd and his 5′ high platform shoes, white punks on dope, it was fucking nuts. I was hooked from then on. Incredible band. Prairie Prince is one of the best drummers out there.

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2021 at 5:48 pm

I loved the Tubes and completely agree about Prairie Prince.

14. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 2:10 pm

Crazy shows like this that I was at are out in the interwebs.

15. chipower9 said, on May 7, 2021 at 2:17 pm

I saw the Tubes a couple of times. First time was in Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento in ’79. Saw them a year or so later in a very small club in Sac. Both shows were great. Then saw them oh ten years or so ago. Fay Weibel was drunk off his ass and could hardly stand. Awful show.

• unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 3:56 pm

He became the parody of what he portrayed. Funny but sad.

16. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 3:12 pm

I always love to hear talk to ya later a classic well written bitchin song!
    I believe the guy from Toto lays down some serious guitar riffs in that song!

17. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Yaz back supposed to be available off bench tonight. dickerson to IL with bone bruise, Jarlin Garcia returns.
    Gausman off Covid IL and supposed to be activated to start tomorrow afternoon, so another roster move imminent.

18. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 4:34 pm

slusser says Posey is OK and in lineup, Crawford OK but is not. dubon at SS, Ruf Slater Tauchman in OF vs. Snell LHP tonight. Belt at 1b Flores 2b Longoria 3b. Bone bruise for Dickerson is to his shoulder. ? how did that happen?

• alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 6:51 pm

Diving for a catch in LF Willied in the Padres series that most players would not need to be, but hey it’s Dickerson old and slow..

19. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 4:52 pm

Slater in 11 fewer ABs vs. all of last season…OB is down from .400 to .290. Last season he had 16 BBs/22 Ks.
    this season he has 10 BBs and 33 Ks. Last season 5 bombs, so far only 2. Like to see him get going, soon.

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 5:15 pm

Slater has the intensity of a night light.
      He’s become nothing more than an experienced hologram…

20. James said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:22 pm

Blake Snell is what Jonathan Sanchez would have been with a 97 mph fastball.

21. James said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Long games, cheap HRS, too many walks … what I can’t stand is watching umpires calling balls and strikes. It fucking drives me crazy.

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:37 pm

All over place tonight. This guy will have everybody mad soon.

22. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Check swings should all be strikes, keep the game moving. Either full swing are no swing.

23. James said, on May 7, 2021 at 7:57 pm

It seems like the Giants would be winning the game right now if they’d simply not swung at any of Snell’s pitches.

24. Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:00 pm

Oppo-Posey!

25. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:01 pm

Buster busting #8!!!

26. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Snell gets what he deserves for slowing the game to a crawl holding Slater on..

27. djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Isn’t there some reason that Mays never wears the SF cap?
    Always the one with the ‘g’ on it?
    I think I remember something about that…

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:11 pm

Probably it’s his statement about how he was first treated by the city of SF when the team moved there. He wasn’t wholeheartedly embraced which seems weird in retrospect.

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:15 pm

And he couldn’t buy a house in certain neighborhoods because of racism of the era.

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:16 pm

Someone threw a rock through the front window of the house he eventually bought.

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:20 pm

At least he doesn’t hold a grudge for long…

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:27 pm

Maybe at some point it turned into superstition. He’s made it to 90 years old wearing that cap.

• alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:12 pm

One less letter? G for greatest?

28. djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:09 pm

I think Buster is leading the NL in BA by plenty, but doesn’t have enough PA to officially qualify…

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:38 pm

He’s not even close despite hitting .394 now–71 ABs coming into tonight after 31 games. Rule used to be 3.1 per game to qualify, right?

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:41 pm

PA not AB…

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:49 pm

ah thanks!

• Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:41 pm

I saw that about a week ago that he wasn’t among the qualifiers, and pretty sure I saw a player with less ABs in there.

29. wilcojoe said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:26 pm

Could you imagine the numbers Posey would have put up if he was moved to 1B five years ago? I say that tongue in cheek as I was one who didn’t think moving him away from the catcher position would make a difference offensively. It’s obvious now that a year removed from the “squat” has proved me wrong.

30. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Teams are combined 2-31 tonight. giants at least have 5 walks, and one by Slater paid off ahead of Posey HR.

• Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:44 pm

DeSclafani got the walk, Slater hit into forceout. He does have walks in his other two PAs.

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:53 pm

right, Snell walked the pitcher. Btw Posey had 78 PAs coming into tonight.

31. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:50 pm

Just a clutch going with the down and away pitch by Longoria for a sweet 2 rbi hit!

32. djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 8:51 pm

I can understand taking a 3-0 pitch if it’s not what you’re looking for, but unless you’re a pitcher, taking “all the way” on 3-0 is completely stupid…

33. Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Only took the first reliever to blow the lead.

• James said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:07 pm

It wasn’t a good pitch, but the Padres have been impressive this inning. Too bad Longoria couldn’t finish that play.

34. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Shit. Looked at 4-0.Come back, 4-4. What happened?

At least Posey has the kid throwing gas. Not sure what happpened the other day.

35. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:40 pm

About time!!!! Slater off the schneid.

36. Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Slater oppo tater!

37. djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:41 pm

Slater obviously read my 5:15 comment…

38. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:41 pm

wow now can Giants hold onto lead?

39. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Krukow Yeah a good looking pen just before Slater says :here’s what I think of your pen with a bomb!

40. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Willie McCovey pop up there.

41. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:57 pm

Bunt down the 3rd base line.

42. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 9:57 pm

Want to get away Hosmer?

43. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:04 pm

hmnn thought Rogers might get 9th. Now?

• James said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Using Rogers against the better hitters is the rational move. Barager?

44. Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Nice to see the Halos stick it to the Bums.

45. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:17 pm

Oh poor Duggar with the DP ball..

• willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:18 pm

had whole left side of field open…

46. willedav said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:18 pm

this better work

47. Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Oh boy, here we go.

48. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Fuck it’s not Barager as Kotter still won’t give in to McGee not being his boy!

49. Winder said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:34 pm

McGee sure didn’t make it easy but a win is a win

50. Macdog said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:34 pm

He did it! (with some help at the end). Victory!

51. alleykat69 said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Thanks ump! A wins a win even with help!

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:43 pm

52. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Wow. Payback for Wilmet’s imaginary K the other day.

53. djloo27 said, on May 7, 2021 at 11:29 pm