A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Bank The Wins Road Trip

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 13, 2021

Really interested part of the schedule coming up. East coast swing through Pitt and Cinn then finished it off with 3 vs LA. Eleven games 11 days. I have let myself get excited about this team for the first time in many years. After accepting I know nothing about baseball, it was an easy thing to do. The only thing I’m really worried about for the first 2 series is the weather. Admittedly, I haven’t checked it yet but the Pirates and the Reds know how to deal with rain delays. We do not. I’m still hoping for 6-2 before we play LA. Too optimistic?

Yesterday, Flap Nation united to donate $905 (including the $50+$50 that PaSalon and Bird Dog donated 4 days ago) to Cassie’s fund. I can’t tell you how proud I am to be part of this community…..

1. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:36 am

Craig – that is so cool on the donations. I mentioned last night about this community/family. I am grateful to be a part of it all. Way to go Flap Nation!

I would be ecstatic at 6-2 rolling into LA. I am going to guess 5-3.

2, 5, 5 and 24. Those are the percentage chance of rain in Pittsburgh. Damn, if we get in and out before a rain delay would that be a first?

2. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 7:02 am

Reminder–the LA games are here, at the O. 3 games next weekend and only ones at home before May 31.
    followed by day off, road trip for 2 in AZ and 4 at Latrine Memorial Day weekend at end of month.

• chipower9 said, on May 13, 2021 at 9:24 am

Yep…good point. I forgot that the bum series is at home.

3. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 7:08 am

Saw this yesterday in Chron: Darren Baker leads Cal with .333 BA and is second in Pac 12 with 24 SBs. Also “…was named one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS award, which goes to a player who excels on and off the field.”

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 7:47 am

That’s awesome. If he inherited half his dad’s talent, he should be pretty damn good. I’d love to see the G’s draft whenever that time comes.

• Winder said, on May 13, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Cal Plays Stanford for 4 games starting tomorrow, 3 in Berkley and one at Stanford. If I was in town i would go just to catch some sun and baseball. The sun finally came out today for a little while up here.

4. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 7:31 am

Tyler Anderson goes tomorrow, but otherwise Pirates SPs are all RH, so Kap likely goes with LH OF, which would not feature Dickerson who is still on IL. Doesn’t look like they have more than 1 or 2 LHPs in pen too, so let’s see how much PT happens for Slater, he of 4 bombs and 6 SBs.

5. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 7:45 am

Glad to hear about the donations and I really hope Cassie being young and fit leads to a full recovery. Those are big factors.

6. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 7:46 am

BEAT THE BUCS!

7. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 7:51 am

I love the Pirates’ park. One of the prettiest in baseball, right up there with Oracle. After years of playing in the mausoleum that was Three Rivers, it’s a hell of an upgrade. Great views of downtown Pittsburgh. Ever since I read a book about Honus Wagner when I was about 7 years old, I’ve always kind of liked the Pirates, not to mention that was the name of my first Little League team. Great unis too.

Go Giants!

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 8:56 am

We went a few years ago, and had a great time. Scored some pretty cheap seats immediately behind the Pirates dugout. The usher wiped the rain from the seats before we sat down. I haven’t yet lost my Pirates umbrella.

8. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 8:33 am

Gonna try to get to one of the Dodger games. Depending on when my son can get off work.

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 8:49 am

I’m really interested to see how this team stacks up against LA. That will be a real litmus test.

9. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 9:39 am

Always had soft spot for Pirates. loved old sleeveless top unis like Reds had, saw Clemente at Stick (introduced as “Bob”), lumber company of 70s, Pops Parker and cast of cool players. Unfortunate they have fallen on such hard times since Crawford and Bum prompted exit from playoffs.

• willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 9:46 am

IF Lee Lacy was Oakland guy out of McClymonds HS.

10. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 10:07 am

Yeah LJ, I’d love to see that ballpark. One of these years I’m gonna get out to Pittsburgh for the Giants series, but it’s never the right time mainly because it seems the Giants always play there early in the season when I can’t make it. Like this 4-game series. Plenty of Pittsburgh connections for me, we lived there before moving to Jersey when I was maybe 4. Oldest brother lives there, though he couldn’t care less about the Bucs, and next-oldest brother is a Pirates/Steelers/Pens fan. Aside from the wild card game, the Pirates are usually are tough on the Giants no matter how bad they are. I’m a little worried about tonight, a bunch of Pirates have good numbers vs. DeSclafani while the Giants are facing a pitcher they’ve never seen, and we all know how that usually turns out.

11. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 10:09 am

We’ve robbed them pretty good in recent years (Schmidt, Glass, etc).
    I guess it makes up for their ’60’s thefts of Matty Alou & Jose Pagan…

12. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 10:11 am

I don’t think I would ever sleep in a hotel bed.
    Nauseating if you think about it.
    I’d bring an air mattress…

• chipower9 said, on May 13, 2021 at 10:23 am

I know people who travel with light sleeping bag type units so they don’t have to sleep in the bed/on the sheets.

13. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 11:35 am

June of 79 Giants traded Lenny Randle Dave Roberts and Madlock to Pirates, who won it all that year
    In return Giants rec’d Fred Breining Al Holland and Ed Whitson. Whitson will turn 66 next Wed. the 19th. Also b-day of friend of 45 years, and one Malcolm Little..

• Winder said, on May 13, 2021 at 1:42 pm

I really liked all those pitchers. But we should have never got rid of Madlock.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 1:54 pm

He was a pre-analytics victim of “Where’s the 350 batting average, this dude is a disappointment for us.”

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Yeah, Holland and Whitson were pretty good for the Giants as I remember it. Interesting take on Madlock being a victim of the pre-analytics era. I liked him and seem to remember him hitting .300 at least one of the years he was in SF. Check that, both years per BR. The Giants had him in his prime at 26. Good third sacker too.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:04 pm

Yes, he did cross the magical 300 mark, but Candlestick ain’t Wrigley and look at his RBI totals. The year he was traded, the BA was at 260, even though his RBI’s were up. He probably seemed like a disappointment. Holland was really good, but not worth a top flight infielder.

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:26 pm

4-time batting champ. That’s impressive in any era.

14. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Only 2 minors games yesterday.
    Richmond won, as Hjelle had good start 5 innings 3 hits 1 run. Jacob Heyward had pinch single, still batting .500. Ramos 1-4 with a double BA 400
    San Jose lost to Stockton as pitcher Ragsdale hit 30 pitch limit in first inning and only got 2 outs.
    Luciano 1-4 with solo bomb, his first, 3rd rbi BA .167
    Luis Matos 2-5 at top of order with 2 doubles BA .300

15. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2021 at 1:54 pm

1. Mike Tauchman (L) CF
    2. M. Yastrzemski (L) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    6. Wilmer Flores (R) 2B
    7. LaMonte Wade Jr (L) LF
    8. Mauricio Dubon (R) SS
    9. A. DeSclafani (R) P

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Alvarez to DL with sprained ankle, hence Wade.

16. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Crawford COVID-19 effects hence Dubon at SS..

17. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Wade jr starting..hence the bench for GraveDuggar..

18. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 2:40 pm

I’m with you on hotel beds, Loo, I’ve never been able to sleep well in them. Just the thought of what may have gone on there gives me the creeps. lol. I have used sleeping bags on them in the past. Probably doesn’t do shit, but it helps.

• alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:05 pm

Depends on how much action u have had with your sleeping bag as well though?
      I actually have brought my own sheets clean sheets/ pillow cases from home for piece of mind..

• willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:10 pm

Our travel store used to sell Travel Sheets, good product. Have used them often in various settings.

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Haha, but anything that happened in my bag was my own stuff. Good idea with the sheets, but that could get a little cumbersome.

19. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Hmmm late scratch for Brandon Belt left side tightness still..
    Wade jr moves to 1B as GD gets a start in CF..

• djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Once again he digs out of his grave.
      Now or never for him…

1. Mike Tauchman (L) LF
      2. Buster Posey (R) C
      3. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
      4. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
      5. Wilmer Flores (R) 2B
      6. LaMonte Wade Jr (L) 1B
      7. Mauricio Dubon (R) SS
      8. Steven Duggar (L) CF
      9. Anthony DeSclafani (R) P

20. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:12 pm

Since I mentioned Bum, earlier, noticed Tuesday night he wiped out Marlins, going 7 shutout innings in 11-3 W giving up 4 hits 0 BBs 9Ks. Lowers ERA to 4.12, from unsightly double digits it was at beginning of season.

21. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Seems like Bum is back on track this year. Good for him.

22. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Duggar must have photos of someone.

23. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm

Let’s see how Wade does. I’m not expecting much, but hopefully he’ll surprise me.

24. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:37 pm

I expect more out of Wade then very little GD can provide..

25. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:41 pm

How is it possible that Wade Blasingame and Don Blasingame aren’t related?

26. xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Cheap hotels in Mexico and Central America, you demanded to see the room before you paid, turned on the overhead light, and ripped a pillow back. “Insectos! Adios!” Those bedbugs could scoot. Later, business trips in places like the Intercontinental and Four Seasons, it was always fun to do the same, for nostalgia’s sake. I did stay at a huge Marriott on Times Square in 2000, election night, that made me wish I’d brought my own sheet.

• willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:03 pm

One we sold was from Cocoon, great little travel comfort and safety company. Lightweight, rolls up small, $25-30. comes in handy.

• alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Did they sell one called “ One and done” throwaway for men&woman?

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:09 pm

thanks. I’m planning a road trip. Sounds good.

27. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Sure is great having Shaun Estes in the radio booth over the babbling forced words of no meaning from Javy Lopez! Estes could easily be in line for a full time gig if he wants it, he’s smooth and articulate.If either K&K decides to hang it up.My guess Krukow with his health issues could go 1st..

28. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:05 pm

1967-68, the Pittsburgh Pipers were ABA champs, led by 25 yr old rookie who averaged 27 points and 13.5 boards.
    One of my heroes, the late Connie Hawkins

• djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:17 pm

They had crazy Art Heyman, too…

29. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:14 pm

That a boy GD take Strike 3 right down the middle!
    The dirt is filling in fast on his coffin ⚰️

30. willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:15 pm

DeSclafani has pretty good game face going on. almost Vogs like

31. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Randy Winn sounds like Richard Pryor imitating a white guy…

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Estes?

• djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:40 pm

I guess that explains it…

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:44 pm

Rhymes with testes. . . . Get your dumb ass back on the base!

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:44 pm

Good call, though. Tends to support my guess that Hunter Pence has the fast track to replace Krukow.

32. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:43 pm

Hope against hope Cassie recovers fully from this. I had never heard of that surfer’s thing. Good friend of mine’s son was halfway through his freshman year at CU in Boulder when he wiped out in a half-pipe snowboarding and severed his spine. He’s paralyzed from the waist down. It has been a couple years of rehab and figuring things out but he is back at school and doing well. He has accepted it much better than his father. That kind of stuff would kill me. Well, it has.

33. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:46 pm

Now Wade takes strike 3 right down the middle. Do some of these guys wanna spend all season in Sac?

• willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:55 pm

wow maybe not.

34. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Grave-y!

35. Bozo said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Bringing the shovel.

36. Flavor said, on May 13, 2021 at 4:57 pm

uh, you were saying Kat? Look motherfucker we are trying to win games here. I would hope you could put your petty dislike of the guy aside and be happy when he does something productive

37. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:02 pm

I think Estes does a pretty good job and I could see him taking over for Kruk, which I hope doesn’t happen for a long time. Nice shot by Duggar, now Tauchman and Buster.

38. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Estes: RTI Run Thrown In, haha.

39. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:05 pm

Triple Yaz!

40. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:06 pm

Duggar dug it out!

41. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:07 pm

411 feet. Big fly.

42. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:14 pm

Wow, nice scoop by Wade! And nice pickup by Longo.

43. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:21 pm

Man that park has some nice views. The Roberto Clemente Bridge really is icing on the cake, a great walk-up approach for the fans. Downtown Pittsburgh has come a long way since the ’70’s. Really looks good now.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Pittsburgh is a really great city. I was especially surprised by the setting, which completely confounded my expectations.

44. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:24 pm

I would’ve left Disco in there but what the hell do I know.

45. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:25 pm

Little early to pull descaffolding. But we’ll see how the pen does. Gulp.

46. James said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:26 pm

I didn’t get a chance to post before Ruf grounded out … that is the first obviously illogical thing Kapler has done.

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:30 pm

must be a subjective thing we don’t know about to explain it

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:35 pm

He’s trying to show us he has intuition and he’s gonna use it!

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:53 pm

or maybe he knows something we don’t. what are the chances of that?

47. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:27 pm

It was a very strange move, especially with Dico dealing zero’s and only 76 pitches.I’m sure he’s pissed inside..

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:32 pm

And a 3 run lead. Doesn’t make sense and Ruf did nothing, but Baragar looked good in the bottom of the inning. Leave Disco in there and trust your hitters are going to add on.

48. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:35 pm

I wasn’t crazy about pulling DeSclafani either, especially since this is the first game of 11 straight with the last three vs. the Bums. Baragar looking sharp certainly helps.

49. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:36 pm

BS call on Tauchman.

50. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:42 pm

Nice chuckle by Estes on the fan wearing one on his face..
    Looks ok and did get the ball, so the embarrassment factor alittle less..

51. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:47 pm

Yeah that was the worst I’ve ever seen LJ..
    Maybe Tauchman has compromising animal photos on him?

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Haha.

52. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Baragar threw 11 pitches, seems he could’ve gone another inning.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Flip side is he’s available tomorrow.

• Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:02 pm

Kap clearly has more confidence in the relievers than I do.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Experimenting when he can? The BP does need to perform, if SF is going to stay in it.

53. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Wilmet just can’t get it going.
    Huge disappointment after being so good last year…

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:02 pm

He’s being used against RHers way more than they want. It probably won’t come down to it, but I’d still keep him ahead of Solano.

54. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 5:58 pm

Except for Reynolds this Pirates team is a joke.
    Gausman might be able to no hit this team tomorrow..

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:10 pm

That approach will get you bit right on the ass.

55. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Doval falls in love with his slider way too easily. Afraid to throw the 100 mph heater.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:11 pm

Should he shake off Posey’s calls?

• Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:19 pm

I would’ve guessed he was shaking Buster off, but I wasn’t paying close enough attention. When you have a fastball like that it should be featured. And if that is what Buster is calling, color me surprised.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:23 pm

He’s following the catcher’s lead, AFAICT, whether it’s Posey or Casali.

56. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:12 pm

That’s what I was gonna say. The fb inside was close to where Buster wanted it.

57. xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:13 pm

that Estes commentary in the eighth is the worst I’ve heard since the last time I tuned into an inning of collegiate ball on espn. His entire spiel concerned pitching and he sucked.

58. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Need ins runs

59. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Steal situation for GD?

60. Irish Kevin said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:15 pm

Craig sorry I was not around for the donation, I spent 4 1/2 days in the hospital, I will talk about that some other time. Anyway, my brother was in an auto accident 10 days after graduating from high school. Quadriplegic, middle or the chest down, for those that know medical terms broke neck C6-C7. And all that happened was a bruised spinal cord, not severed. This all happened in1973. The handicapped community was just coming into its own, thanks to the Vietnam war, I can remember when he saws at SF hospital, no one knew how to use a circle bed. Anyway mentally he came out of it great. Graduated from Fresno state, married and has two adult children. Had his own television show on public TV. I have seen the disability community grow very fast, ADA was a great thing for them. I have also seen young people who have become disabled and scream at their parents they never want to see them again and they just want to die. Hope your friends daughter comes out of this with a good attitude, life is not over for her. Prayers for her.

61. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:21 pm

May be time for the Sock Man and the Grave Duggar to change places in the batting order…

62. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Me Rogers neighbirhoid

63. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Which one is the Sock Man again? Tauchman?

64. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Love typing on my phone

65. snarkk said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:28 pm

Rogers = closer?
    Way less drama than McGoo…

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:34 pm

I don’t think the back to back stats are good for Rogers. He seems to lose something second day in a row, although clearly not velo.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:40 pm

Did you mean McGee?

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:54 pm

could be a problem for both

• willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:36 pm

Definitely.

66. djloo27 said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:28 pm

67. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:29 pm

Nice win, boys! Have to give Rogers credit, he’s been lights-out this year.

68. Macdog said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:29 pm

Mr. Rogers gets the save in Pittsburgh!

69. Bozo said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:29 pm

Nice start to the road trip.

70. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Ballgame! Nice way to start the roadie.

71. Lurker John said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:31 pm

James, I would expect that he is throwing what those guys are calling, it just surprises me, that’s all. Maybe they feel like he has more confidence in that pitch right now. You’d think his slider would be even more effective working off well-located fastballs.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:45 pm

His fastball is a great weapon, and I’m mystified by why one high velocity fastball is unhittable and another gets whacked. I know, location, secondary pitches etc. The stats make it clear that 95+ velocity shuts down MLB hitters.

72. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:32 pm

Hitters are laying in wait for Doval’s fastball.

73. James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:32 pm

One more win, and the Giants will be in first place a quarter of the way through the season.

• xoot said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:35 pm

I called 72 wins for the season. I’m feeling confident now.

• James said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:38 pm

LOL

74. Flavor said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:35 pm

Great win. I am a believer. Kapler and his staff know what’s up

• willedav said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:39 pm

mm agreed. Lot of guys still not hitting, but team finds way to win with different guys stepping up, as GD did today. Pitching has been incredible, and so have all the HRs– we haven’t seen that combo in long ass time.

75. alleykat69 said, on May 13, 2021 at 6:36 pm

Rodgers should be the closer.
    He didn’t pitch Tuesday while McGoo did, that’s probably the reason..
    Good win for the #1 baseball team in the land!
    9 games over .500 this early in the season Awesome baby!!