A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Back In…..FIRST PLACE!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 1, 2021

That headline is for my old man, my elder statesman, Bobby Bowden’s doppelganger.

Cueto joins the party of stud starting pitching. And if you want an idea of how terrible the Angels are look no further than the 0 runs they scored v our bullpen. Granted, it was just bullpen arm (Trop). Hey, anyone coming out of that pen who doesn’t give up a run is immediately my new most trusted BP arm. Until they prove they are just like all the rest…..

Wood should make short work of these chumps tonight.

1. chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:18 am

Always cool to see you give a tip of the cap to your pops. Man, June 1st…who woulda thunk it…that the Giants would be 34-20 and in first place, with the 2nd best record in MLB. Not only that, but they are playing .500 ball against arguably the best two teams in baseball (bums and friars – 3-5 against the bums and 5-4 against the friars).

The train keeps a rolling…

Sweep the halos…

2. Pasalon said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:41 am

I would never have thought of this headline in a million years. Nice one, Flava Flav!

3. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:54 am

“Alex Pavlovic
    @PavlovicNBCS

Gabe Kapler said Kevin Gausman’s MRI came back clean. Gausman is optimistic he’ll make next start.”

4. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:57 am

On pace for 102-60…

5. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:59 am

Loo, yeah, I like that “Classical Gas” track. I have fond memories of when instrumentals used to make the Top 40. That seemed to end in the late 1970s. Radio seemed to close that off for some reason. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of an instrumental Top 40 hit from the 1980s onward.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:06 am

OK, Kenny G’s “Songbird” was an instrumental hit in the ‘80s.

• Winder said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:08 am

Most modern pop music sounds to me like it comes from a can. Maybe a lot of old songs sound corny now but they sure don’t write em like they used to.

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:10 am

Instrumentals or not, I have had zero interest in top 40 or pop music since at least the 70s…

• unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:29 am

Surfing with the Alien?

6. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:23 am

I was OK with the Top 40 until the mid-1990s, when it got completely taken over by rap and electronic dance music. And it’s remained that way ever since.
    Singer/songwriter music is now a niche market.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:28 am

Beyoncé has something like 28 Grammy Awards. I couldn’t name a single song of hers. Her songs don’t leave any lasting impression on me. The same with “new country” music. Merle Haggard said it best. “New country has no tunes.” That’s the key. No memorable melody of any kind.

• gianthead said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:29 am

The pop hop trend last two decades has destroyed music…we get shovelled that shit even during SNL which is almost impossible to watch anymore….I have not even listened to the Greta Van Fleet new record more than once…

7. gianthead said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:26 am

I did not anticipate Gausman and our starters having this kind of year. Did not expect Gausman would stay because I could not see us doing a 4-5 deal for him. But now how do you not and is it not in everyone’s interest in extend him now????

What does the Flap think he could/should get. I would love him at 4 and $80 mill but someone would go $100 as a free agent. So he here has their hands up for 5 and a $100????

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:33 am

Z has yet to do a big long-term contract for a Giants player yet. Maybe Gausman will be his first.

• gianthead said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:33 am

And doesn’t everyone expect they pick up Posey’s $22 mill option for next season??? Doubt they even blink about that decision. And if you keep Gausman at $20 mill for next season then payroll going into next season with Posey would still be at just $80 mill. Plenty of cash for that SS and a second hitter in my mind. Kris Bryant having a solid year but being his walk year are we getting a mirage???

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:35 am

At the beginning of the season I thought no way the Giants would pick up that option on Posey, but now…..hard to say, I think. He would need to maintain what he’s doing now throughout the season.

• gianthead said, on June 1, 2021 at 11:38 am

Joey Bart not ready likely will be the backup next season and with 1b without Belt may allow more Posey at first unless there is a Rizzo or Bryant signing.

8. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:32 am

I’m with Chuck. The Grammys have never represented anything I listen to. Same with top 40.

Besides, rock and roll is gone but for a few outliers.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:39 am

There are some good young bands out there, but, frankly I’m just not interested in seeking them out at my age. It shouldn’t have to be hard to find them, but unfortunately it is.
      I already have so many CDs. About the only time I buy a new CD anymore is at the performer’s show, from the merch table.

• unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:00 am

Tedeschi Trucks is good. There are blues guys still around. But yeah, not much in the way of anything. Foo FIghters seem to be the last of the mainstream rock bands from the good old days.

• unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:44 am

I mean that are actually making new music

• gianthead said, on June 1, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Foo Fighters just seems so repetitious to me….

9. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:44 am

This is nice. The music video for Wolfgang Van Halen’s first single. It has video footage of him as a child with Eddie and Valerie.

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:59 am

Cool video compilation and sweet song…

• Winder said, on June 1, 2021 at 12:43 pm

Yeah, that was nice.

10. chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:00 am

Odd two game set with the halos…day game backed by a night game. Usually the other way around. Sweep the holos…

11. chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:15 am

There is TONS of great music out there. But then, I have never listened to a lot of mainstream music and care less what is happening in the pop music/top 40 world. That music does nothing for me, personally. I listen to a lot of “new grass,” alt country, Americana…and a lot of “jam bands” and blues…

Charlie – Tedeschi-Trucks is awesome. Have seen them a number of times. Here is one of my favorites from them…song doesn’t really get started till about the three minute mark. Love the Hammond B3 in this tune.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:47 am

Yeah, that band built its huge following without any help from Top 40 radio, or really much help from rock radio either. Wilco is like that, too. Those are bands that fill amphitheaters for concerts, but get little help from radio. There’s a lot of word-of-mouth from fans.

12. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:17 am

I wonder if Russ Ortiz still has “THE GAME BALL”…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:49 am

I wonder what Todd McFarlane thinks now of that McGwire HR ball he spent a million dollars on.

13. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:28 am

“You ain’t counting La Stella?”

No, in my opinion that’s not really a big MLB contract, money-wise.

14. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:28 am

Chariots of Fire by Vangelis was a big instrumental hit in the early 80s.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:34 am

Good call, I forgot about that one.

• Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:36 am

And that’s all I got from the 80s.

15. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:36 am

“Surfing with the Alien”

Yeah, good call on Joe Satriani. I forgot he got some Top 40 air-play in the ‘80s.

16. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:39 am

Classical Gas was such a cool instrumental song !
    The list of top 100 from 1968 is mind boggling,Beatles,Steppenwolf,Gary Puckett & the Union Gap, Otis Redding, Moody Blues,Cream,Herb Albert,The Doors,The Grass Roots,The Supremes,CCR,Rolling Stones etc

For an instrumental it’s hard to beat ELO’s “Fire on High” that one kicks ass from the beginning to the end.

I actually have an album collecting dust in my closet from an obscure brilliant guitarist and song writer by the name of Pete Carr from the early 70’s ..The album title is called “Not a word on it”
    and yes it’s true, all instrumental with jamming guitar 🎸 riffs by Carr and some high quality studio musicians as well on this album..

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:57 am

I’ve never heard of Carr. You have it on vinyl? I don’t have any vinyl albums or singles anymore. I had some obscure stuff on vinyl. I gave it all away. It’s scattered across the world now. 🙂

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:05 am

I haven’t owned a record player in 35 years.

• unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 11:15 am

Friend of mine lives in Santa Cruz, and he lives by the motto “if I see a line, I get in it”. He saw a line one day, and scored tickets for Neil Young backed by Booker T and the MGs. Incredible show.

• snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 11:54 am

Selective Service office and DMV might be exceptions…

• alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 11:51 am

Yeah I still have vinyls Zumie probably over 300 of mostly from the 60’s thru when they stopped making them.
      I have 3 turntables a Marantz TT 120 which was my dad’s after he passed away a gold color special edition at the time. A Dual German made turntable that probably weighs 20 lbs plus, those Germans really knew how to build a high end turntable. And a crossely turntable my son got me for a Christmas present.
      I’m using the Dual German one right now it works great! Guess I have attachment issues lol , but I still like to spin an album 💿 it’s just satisfying to play an obscure record from the past..

Pete Carr was mostly a studio guitarist but finally was convinced to cut an album.
      He performed in a group called Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.But he also played with everyone from Duane and Gregg Allman and Paul Simon to Rod Stewart and Bob Seger.Also played with Joan Baez,Donovan,Cat Stevens,Boz Scaggs, Joe Cocker,Hank Williams jr among many others..
      Carr was one of the greatest unknown guitarist ever.That no words on it with a combination of rock,jazz,RB guitar work with super sax work, keyboards, bass. You just don’t hear music like this these days. I would rate this album right up there with Jeff Beck’s Blow by Blow it’s that great..
      Sadly Pete passed away last year at 70 RIP 🎸for a very gifted guitar player..

17. snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:00 am

Gents, thanks for all the good words on the passing of Paddy the Mutt.
    I’m three days past him gone, yet I’m still automatically looking for him in the usual spots, then I remember…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:11 am

Kathleen Edwards, on her new album, has a song about her dog that passed away. I’ve had the CD in my car’s player for months now, and every time that song comes on, I get moved deeply, thinking of beloved dogs and cats I had to say goodbye to over the years. And yet I’m not ready to change the CD.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:15 am

Her dog was a rescue dog she got at a tough time in her own life emotionally. The song is called Who Rescued Who?

18. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:03 am

One of my favorite instrumentals is Elton’s “Funeral for a Friend.” It was his opener in concert for many years. Elton was the first major rock concert I went to, back in 1980. I was in spellbound awe for the whole concert. He played a long time, too. About 3 hours. It was amazing. The young Elton was a dynamo on stage. Years later we find out he was also using a lot of coke, too.

19. chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:24 am

By far my all-time favorite instrumental piece. Was blessed to see SRV in Sacramento (opened for Jeff Beck). They played this song during that show. Encore was Voodoo Child…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:29 am

Yeah, he was special. Had he not been lost so young his career was just about to get even bigger and go very huge.

20. willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:25 am

really don’t know anything much about Ohtani, but wouldn’t it behoove Angels to put him in OF vs. NL teams? The guy is athletic, how bad could he be?
    they will have to play x amount of interleague games and without Trout why have someone who can hit like him on bench?

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:44 am

Personally, I would not risk him in the OF for just a handful of meaningless NL games.

21. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:27 am

This thread courtesy of “No-Neck” Williams…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:30 am

lulz

• willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:33 am

yeah no idea the guy talked about on last thread was his kid.

Funny, pianist Vince Guraldi, who had an instrumental hit with Cast Your Fate to the Wind, played in vibist Cal Tjader’s latin jazz band with likes of Willie Bobo and Mongo Santamaria. I have “Latin Concert” from 1958 with fabulous opening tune Viva Cepeda, and best ever version of Cubano Chant.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:42 am

I have a couple of George Winston CDs where he’s performing Ghiraldi’s music, including all the cool Charlie Brown stuff. Great CDs.

22. willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:28 am

Way past 2002 myself, but Maddon I don’t like at all. Not gonna forget all the “Posey rule” nonsense he spouted about MLB changing rules on plays at home plate.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:38 am

Yes. Totally agree. In order to defend Rizzo on an illegal cheap-shot at the plate, Maddon said Posey had “used poor technique” on the play where Posey’s leg was broken, and the new rules shouldn’t have been made. That’s a flat-out lie about Posey, and Maddon is wrong for saying it, and he can take a hike. I lost any respect for him I had when he did that. He did that to defend Rizzo going out of the baseline and injuring a catcher.

23. willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:46 am

local note/Giants and start of regionals College WS. Stanford is hosting starting this weekend, and their ace SP is senior Brendan Beck. He’s younger bro of Tristan Beck, whom SF acquired in Melancon deal with Braves.
    Tristan is 24 (and did pitch at Stanford before being drafted) and pitching for AA Richmond, where he has 3.63 ERA in 22 innings. One bad start I think, but overall has only given up 2 bombs 7 BBs 23Ks. 22 innings covers 6 starts so I guess strict pitch limits observed.

24. Lurker John said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:50 am

Not only is Tedeschi-Trucks a great band, but Derek Trucks is easily one of the finest guitarists on this planet, maybe the very best slide player. Just a phenomenal, polished, fluid and soulful player. It’s hard to imagine anyone bringing more out of an electric guitar than Derek Trucks. Just amazing and a joy to listen to. His wife ain’t bad either.

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 11:41 am

Agree, LJ. There was only one other guy who could play a slide like Derek IMO, and that is Duane Allman.

I believe Derek gets a lot of his chops from being a student of Duane’s playing. Listen to the slide work by Allman on Derek and The Dominos Layla. Haunting…at times you wonder if the sounds are coming from a guitar.

• Lurker John said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:48 pm

Yup, you can see where Derek got his slide chops from. Runs in the family. That lucky kid grew up in that amazing environment. He was born well after Duane passed, but the influence is definitely there.

• Bozo said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Both great players, but when talking slide guitar I think Ry Cooder needs to be included in the conversation.

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Good call, John. Definitely…

25. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:51 am

Late with this but very sorry to hear about your dog, Snark. I have a total love for labs and it is so hard to let them go. Josie was almost 15 when she left and it was painful but she wasn’t happy. She never got mean but we could tell
    She was in pain.

Crazy thing was at about 10 she took a turn for the worse and could barely walk for about 6 months. We were gearing up for putting her down but she amazingly got better and was very active for 3 more years. We hoped against hope that would happen again, but it didn’t and we put her down.

• snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Thanks, Chuck.
      Yeah, my lab had not one mean bone in his body. Paddy was friends with everybody, except selected small yappers in the neighborhood that on occasional meets on walks, got aggressive, as little ones often do for self protection. At those, Paddy would take Dusty Baker’s attitude — “I don’t start nothin’, but I don’t take nothin’ either”. In his prime, he was just south of 90 lbs, and hella strong. It would take all I could to hold the big leash and stop him from probably taking those little yappers apart…

26. Lurker John said, on June 1, 2021 at 10:54 am

Maddon is a self-promoting, egotistical jackass and a mediocre manager to boot. Always has been, always will be. One of my least-favorite figures in MLB.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 11:03 am

Yeah, even wore out his welcome in Chicago. They couldn’t take any more of him.

27. xoot said, on June 1, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Was Weather Report’s “Birdland” a top 40 hit? I think so, but I was out of the country when it was released. Great tune.

In the olden days some good music made it into the upper reaches of the charts. This one, instrumental in a secondary sense, was pretty successful. The Stones recorded a reverent cover of it during one of their visits to Chess Records. Most “scholars” agree that young Jimi Hendrix is one of the guitarists playing behind Don Covay, although they disagree on which guitar parts are his. (One extreme is almost none at all; the other extreme: “Hendrix deftly combines chords with a melodic line in a style that later will come to full development in his classic ‘Little Wing’.”)

• willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Don Covay, yeah, wrote some other good tunes too. Stones did nice version of this one.
      Weather Report got lot of run here, Birdland was fantastic hit. Loved Jaco, and earlier stuff by Zawinul with Cannonball Adderley quintet/sextet too

28. willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 12:16 pm

River Cats lost 11-7. Hit 3 bombs including one by Thairo Estrada, but gave up 4. Bart 3-5 with double batting .378 OPS 1.059. Brebbia started and went one scoreless inning.

29. snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 12:48 pm

I guess you don’t mess with success.
    But, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an MLB non-pitcher hitting so poorly as Casali, yet there’s no fallout to him from that. His career BA is .220 on less than 900 ABs. He’s now at .104 this season on 67 ABs and 24Ks, or about a 33% K rate. If he were at the Mendoza line, it’d be a massive improvement. Even .150 would be considerably better. I don’t see he’s such a genius at handling pitchers with a lot of these Pen guys that come in and get burned. Bart must really suck at handling pitchers if he rakes through the summer at Sac and doesn’t get called up with Posey to mentor…

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:18 pm

I don’t care how many damned shutouts he has caught…his sorry ass couldn’t hit his way out of a wet paper sack. Send the bus over and ship his ass to Sacto.

30. Winder said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Someone mentioned bluegrass

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:22 pm

I mentioned “Newgrass,” which is how I would characterize Billy Strings. Love some Billy Strings and Molly Tuttle. Lots of great bands in this lane: Greensky Bluegrass, Leftover Salmon (though they weave rock, country, and a bit of Zydeco into their tunes, too), Trampled by Turtles, Yonder Mountain String Band, Punch Brothers, The Infamous Stringdusters….to name a few…

• xoot said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Both Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson started in bluegrass and still return occasionally. As a result, I guess, they’re virtuosos. Great song writers, too. Although I’m never real comfortable when I hear the dodge commercial using Stapleton’s cover of Al Green’s “I’m a Ram.” Guy’s gotta make a living, I guess. I doubt Sturgill will go that route.

• chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Love me some Sturgill…

31. Lurker John said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:52 pm

Yeah, Casali is redefining the “Mendoza Line.”

• alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:04 pm

Yes LJ, Casali is getting back closer to Agent 99 numbers then now The powerful Mendoza line.. As Don Adams would say :Would you believe this? Are in Casali’s case wit a bat :Missed it by That much!
      A couple of more classic moments
      Larabee:
      Put me out there chief,I’m not afraid to expose myself.
      Agent 99:
      Do you ever think before you speak?
      Larabee:
      No,I just whip it out there.It’s what best.
      Agent 99:
      Are you staring at my butt?
      Maxwell Smart:
      No,no I…I was,but I’m not..I’m staring again..
      Maxwell Smart:
      I think it’s only fair to warn you,this facility is surrounded by a highly trained team of 130 Black OP Snipers.
      Sigfried:
      I don’t believe you.
      Maxwell Smart:
      Would you believe two dozen Delta Force Commandos?
      Siegfried:
      Maxwell Smart:
      How about Chuck Norris with a BB gun?
      Agent 99:
      I use to look like my mom.
      Maxwell Smart:
      I used to look like two of my moms put together.

32. Lurker John said, on June 1, 2021 at 1:57 pm

That’s pretty cool, Winder. Bluegrass is one genre I’ve not really delved into, but those outdoor concerts look like a lot of fun. Some serious flat picking going on there.

• Winder said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Yeah I am more of a blues, rock, soul, guy but I really enjoy all different kinds music. The bluegrass people do seem to have a lot of fun playing. Lots if dancing in the crowds also, that makes for a good time.

33. willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Angels SP is LHP, andrew Heaney. His ERA is over 5.00, and only 2 starts he has won came when Angels scored 10 and 11 runs off him. Angels team ERA is over 5.00,worst in all MLB. See if RHs have hitting shoes on tonight. Any news on Longoria?

34. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:07 pm

1. Austin Slater (R) CF
    2. Buster Posey (R) C
    3. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
    4. Wilmer Flores (R) 1B
    5. Donovan Solano (R) 2B
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Mauricio Dubon (R) 3B
    8. Mike Tauchman (L) LF
    9. Alex Wood (R) P

35. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:20 pm

Longo is getting an MRI today. Wouldn’t think that is any kind of good news, although Gasman’s MRI came back clean.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:58 pm

They give MRIs for fuckin’ hang nails these days.
      It’s all about billing the insurance company, isn’t it?

36. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Has Trout even been in a playoff game in his career?

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:51 pm

1 for 12 (HR) vs. Royals in 2014 ALDS…

37. Bozo said, on June 1, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Instead of a DH, Casali is like having two starting pitchers in the lineup.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 4:01 pm

I don’t understand how he is still on this team.
      Another classic “who’s smarter” ? Us or them?
      Usually them…

• alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Casali and Sockless both have over 5 year MLB service, so they can’t get shipped out to the minors.So get use to the misery all long Loo , there not going anywhere.Maybe IL? But that never seems to happen to these type players unfortunately.

• Bozo said, on June 1, 2021 at 4:29 pm

I agree, but they did run Kratz out there for 15 games even with his buck 25 BA and 4 errors (the mental ones didn’t count I guess). We were 2-9 in games he started before they dumped his ass.

38. chipower9 said, on June 1, 2021 at 4:06 pm

🧹🧹🧹

39. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 4:12 pm

GraveDuggar is sharpening his shovel, next grave is for Tauchman taking away his playing time with that stellar .195 avg. Yes he sticks with the no option to minors, and Tauchrobb catch of Poohoes , but his hitting sucks balls and should not be getting starts over GD right now.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Welcome to the dark side, Kat!

40. Flavor said, on June 1, 2021 at 4:56 pm

A’s are just a clown-ass organization. This is prison food

• snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 5:53 pm

The A’s are a bush league organization, but they sure draft a lot of good players. Then give them up…

41. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Geez that food looks sorrier then that polish sausage they served to you Flavor.
    And what the hell is picture 2 suppose to be? It looks like a crusty vagina hole..

• xoot said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:00 pm

I’ll have a taco. Cabeza? No. Vulva.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:01 pm

Why do they have to feed the multi-millionaires anything in the first place?
      Go the fuck out and eat what you want…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:04 pm

The lower round picks aren’t millionaires, though. There’s a lot of Single A players making poverty wages from the team.

• Flavor said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:11 pm

Zumiee is correct. After a signing bonus, if you’re lucky to get one, those players make absolute shit.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Then the billionaires should look after them.
        They can’t possibly spend all the money they make.
        Don’t they all still get a ridiculous amount of meal money per diem?

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:37 pm

There could literally be union issues about players paying for the spread.

• snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Low minor leaguer players are virtually indentured servants.
        That’s why they stay with “families” in their home town. Apartments are unaffordable, unless they triple or quadruple up with other players. I would not offer free room and board to a Giants low minors player or two while Charles Johnson is counting his billions at the end of each trading day…

42. snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Why is Posey hitting 2nd, when he’s the slowest dude on the team and is hitting for power?
    Yaz is hitting third, he’s far faster than Posey. Flores is hitting cleanup behind Posey, he’s faster than Posey.
    So, if Yaz batted second and got on first, Posey if he were hitting third or cleanup, given his power, could hit an extra base hit, and Yaz could score much easier than Posey, perhaps even from first, compared to if Yaz, hitting third, hit the extra base knock with Posey on first. Just askin’…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:01 pm

The new GMs believe the analytics say usually bat your best hitter second.

• snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:02 pm

Even when the dude is a snail on the basepaths?…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:06 pm

Yeah, I think so.

• willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:25 pm

to get him as many ABs as possible. Hitting after pitcher, leadoff often isn’t batting with anyone on.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:02 pm

If Flores is faster than Posey it ain’t by much…

• willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:22 pm

Kap, like Dodgers, often alternates L/R hitters. Idea I guess is screws up whatever reliever that comes in and has to face 3 hitters. He’s trying to insure a good match up. He had Yaz leading off some too, and while BA is awful OB isn’t that bad. I would say as power guy he’d be better hitting with guys on base-so it’s up to those in front of him to be on when he’s hitting.

43. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:35 pm

Arlene Golonka has passed away…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:48 pm

The actress that played Helen passed away in ‘95. She and Andy (who was married) apparently had an affair while doing the TV show.

44. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 6:39 pm

“The Giants added a bunch of minor league strikeouts to their bullpen and hope they will translate right away to the majors.
    They called up righty Dominic Leone from Triple-A Sacramento, who had racked up 16 strikeouts in nine innings at the level, before Tuesday’s game at Oracle Park against the Angels.
    Leone, who has seven years of big-league experience, was another intriguing non-roster invite to major league spring training this year, where he impressed, but the club did not add any arm to its roster out of camp. Zack Littell was the first called up, at the end of April, and has impressed to the tune of a 1.98 ERA. Leone is the next to get a shot for a bullpen that has struggled to find reliable righties.”

45. Bozo said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:22 pm

Oops.

46. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Wood’s all over the place with his pitches.Worse I’ve ever seen from him in a start..

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:30 pm

We’re kind of seeing why he’s traveled a bit in his career.

47. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:35 pm

Tonight’s game is on MLB Network, so I was looking forward to watching it on the big screen TV instead of the laptop. But this is no ordinary broadcast. They have four former players — one of them is DeRosa, not sure about the others — at the bottom of the screen sometimes commenting on the game, more often than not talking about anything other than what’s happening on the field. It’s like one of those obnoxious pre-game show yuk-fests where every utterance is met with uproarious laughter by all four. I lasted a half-inning and couldn’t take any more, so it’s back to the laptop. And all this while watching what was truly a horrific inning by Wood.

48. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:38 pm

SJ Giants news:
    “this is the Luciano that everybody expected since Opening Day. The 19-year-old hit the cover off the ball last week, slashing .474/.524/.947 with three doubles and two home runs in five games. On Saturday, Luciano blasted his fifth home run of the year 452 feet to center field with a 113-mph exit velocity.”

49. Flavor said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:40 pm

might have to cross another name off the list of “Possible All Star game starter from SF Giants rotation”

50. willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:43 pm

looks like the chumps are gonna make short work of Wood tonight.

51. xoot said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Warm up the mri machine

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:46 pm

52. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:46 pm

Sucks you have limited access to Giants game MacDog. except your laptop that would drive me crazy.Then to end up with a bunch of clowns 🤡 has to suck.

Wow Yaz took another huge hit to his body trying to make a catch off the wall.Wonder if he’s going to be shelved again? He’s shaking his right hand a lot..

• Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:13 pm

Kat, the laptop is usually fine, heck, the picture is sharper than any TV from 20 years ago, although sometimes the feed gets a bit fuzzy. No loss tonight, though, with this crap game.

53. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Oh fun I’m always excited to see Matt hit my slider Wishler warming up..

54. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Wisler is terrible.

55. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Uh, maybe Wisler isn’t the guy to bring in with the bases loaded?

56. snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:01 pm

This just in.
    Wisler schtinks on ice.
    And has, most of the season so far.
    Does he have a MLB deal? Doesn’t matter, he needs to be gone…

57. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:01 pm

They have to dump Wishler he obviously sucks ,take your 1 pitch awful slider and end up on a last place team where your dog shit pitching won’t matter..

58. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:04 pm

I don’t think snarkk’s 5:52 will be much of an issue tonight.

• snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Looking back, it was only a rhetorical question…

59. snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Hopefully Wood didn’t crater there because of an injury of some sort…

60. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:09 pm

Might as well give Wisling dicksuck his last taste of the majors tonight.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Wasn’t he magnificent in his last outing?

61. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Just saw this:

• xoot said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Yaz will be day to day, too, if we’re lucky.

• alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:39 pm

There is a god! Better yet the famous phantom fake injury !!

62. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Well, no one saw this pole smoking coming, I guess…

• snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:19 pm

Can’t win ’em all…

63. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:21 pm

Meanwhile, Mr. Heaney is mowing down the Giants.

64. snarkk said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:22 pm

Tromp should be able to hit at least .170 with a bomb or two…

• xoot said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:30 pm

He wasn’t horrible last year, looked ok in ST. He’s not a shutout whisperer, but he’s not an automatic out either.

65. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:26 pm

Whoa, the Lakers are down 30 at half!

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:29 pm

The sports night will be saved! 🙂

66. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Someone was just talking about this

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:32 pm

Take that, farm boy!

• unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:37 pm

Funny thing is, kareem missed 20 games w/a broken hand. Benson missed 1.

67. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:34 pm

There’s no reason to keep Posey in this game.

68. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:34 pm

Let Tromp finish the game…

69. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:39 pm

Why does it take 7 innings to announce these roster moves?

• willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:44 pm

Giants have plenty enough beat writers on twitter.

70. willedav said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Lillard tied Denver game with 3 seconds left on a step back 3 over Austin Rivers.
    But Nuggets lead in OT.

• Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:04 pm

How the hell did the Nuggets even allow a Lillard 3 in final seconds?

71. zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:46 pm

I had never heard that annoying song before that’s in the Apple Ad. The song has kind of an interesting past:
    ““Mind Your Own Business,” a relatively obscure, 40-year-old song by short-lived British post-punk quintet Delta 5.”
    All State insurance is using a 35 year old Pet Shop Boys song.
    The market is deciding it likes old songs better.

• Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:55 pm

Funny you mention that, I’m also watching Mets game, that annoying song/ad was playing almost simultaneously on both games.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 9:08 pm

An unexpected paycheck for the band.

72. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:48 pm

Wonder if this Haney is related to Mr.Haney from Green Acres?
    That was some scoundrel traveling salesman always trying to sell Oliver useless junk from his overloaded Grapes of Wrath truck..

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:50 pm

And he sold him the farm in the first place!

73. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Wilmet up to .250

74. Macdog said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Duggar starts another rally!

75. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Grave Duggar glides over the ground like a top race horse…