A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Phillie Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 18, 2021

In come The Phillies. I hope they present more of a challenge than the hapless D-backs. Grave Duggar continues to rake, he’s hitting .324, OPS near 1.000, easily one of our best players when you factor in defense, too.

Cueto feels a little bit on the clock in this start. He needs to step up his game. Even if he’s the #5 he’s got to be better than he’s been…..

1. willedav said, on June 18, 2021 at 10:17 am

blast from past–M’s sign Alen Hanson. What was nickname we used to use for him? I liked him and he wasn’t terrible…played 2b 3b SS LF and RF, hit .250/.699 OPS with 8 bombs 7 steals in limited time here.
    Turned out to be best year of his career. Signed to minors deal last year that was wiped out.

2. willedav said, on June 18, 2021 at 10:47 am

Shea in Chron today confirmed Dickerson ready to come back off IL, Ruf soon to follow by next Tuesday at latest and LaStella (who has been taking grounders at 3b) in 2 weeks.

Shea also said Sunday looks like another opener game. He explained part of theory–after opening game and being replaced by pitcher (like Long) who is meant to go longer, the second guy will not have to face top part of the lineup more than twice. Kap said, “Obviously the strategy did not go well the last time out. That doesn’t mean it won’t go well if we decide to do it again.”

3. Lurker John said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:04 am

And just like that Casali is EN FUEGO! About time he started contributing something offensively. Hope he keeps it up.

4. alleykat69 said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:16 am

Don’t think even though he won’t admit it but inside Kapler wants to stick it where the sun don’t shine against his former team!
    I’m not thrilled with the opener scenario,if your making Long your 5th starter, well he needs to face the top of the order to see how he can handle it from the start
    But if they don’t,maybe just use both ZZTop boys first to screw with the heads of Phillies hitters doing a double take..

5. zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:22 am

Really good USA Today article about Gausman’s road to success and the Giants organization’s return to relevance.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:31 am

The article appeared as the cover story in the latest issue of that publication called USA Today Sports Weekly.
      It’s a long article, but interesting throughout, in my opinion, especially for Giants fans.

6. unca_chuck said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:34 am

Yeah, Cueto has been iffy since coming back from the IL. IR. Whatevs. He needs a solid start to really set this rotation as dominant. They have all been pitching well. Even still, Cueto is 4-3.

A couple more good starts under his belt before the break would be a welcome sight. Not sure when Webb is coming back. Be nice to not be in the position of having to do these opener games.

• Lurker John said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:48 am

Webb is looking pretty damn good right now and Cueto inspires very little confidence. Maybe he’ll bounce back tonight.

7. Lurker John said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:44 am

I agree, Kat, he absolutely wants to stick it to the Phils and their belligerent fans. Not that he’d ever admit it publicly. lol

8. Lurker John said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:46 am

I still don’t understand the concept behind the “opener.” Maybe one of you gurus can enlighten me. I don’t see why they just don’t start someone like Long, who is being groomed as a starter anyway, at least right now.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:56 pm

I think the idea is that the opener faces the first 3 hitters, supposedly the best 3 hitters. Then assuming he gets them out, the “starter” comes in for inning 2, so he can then work well into the game (essentially 2 frames more if everything goes right) before having the first 3 hitters potentially see him for the third time. OK, but the Opener by definition is not as good a pitcher as the 2nd inning “starter”. So, like last time, if the Opener gets hammered immediately in the first, the plan doesn’t work. I think it’s just an overreach of stats. Start the starter in inning 1 and if it goes well until just before the top hitters are due up for the third time and he’s tiring, bring in the relief = the usual protocol for the last 40 years since relief pitching became a real “thing”…

9. unca_chuck said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:46 am

What Gasman said about Spider Tack.

“I’m not worried, I throw a split and a lot of changeups. I’ve never been a guy who’s used it, so I’m not too worried, and I feel our pitching staff in general is in a really good spot going forward. We don’t have any guys who really use it, and I think even the guys that maybe do, I think it’s a quick fix to not use it. I don’t think there’s anybody that really relies on it like some other teams do, and so I think we’re in a good position.”

Funny. We don’t have guys that use it but if we did it wouldn’t be a problem for them to stop.

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:58 am

Yesterday, before he threw a split, he wiped his thumb and the side of his index finger against the brim of his hat instead of pinching it with the thumb and the tips of his fingers. 😉 😉 😉 Seriously. The camera focused in for an extended look at his pre-windup preparation for that one pitch. I’m sure he’s just wiping the digits dry of sweat. Great call by WillieD to notice the tic.

• willedav said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:05 pm

I saw someone talk about it on MLBTR, I think when they had column when Giants were making Kazmir moves. Blogger said something about watching how often Gausman touched his cap…I noticed it for first time paying attention to it yesterday early on.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 11:59 am

All across MLB, the pitchers are responding to these questions with word salad.
      The usage rate for this crap must be really high…

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:02 pm

while I was signing up for peacock today (bullshit manipulative gimmick) I saw a supposed expert hack making the case for the use of a new mlb approved substance, much as the rosin bag mixture is now approved. Interesting idea.

10. willedav said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:10 pm

In defense of pitchers, this isn’t unrelated to MLB juicing the baseball in first place, and messing with seams that ruin feel of it their hands..

11. willedav said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:14 pm

More I see IF shots of teams in shift, more I’m anti legislating against it. RH I think it was Casali yesterday, AZ had pulled SS over into the hole closer to where 3b was playing, and 2b was up the middle. So there was still a decent gap btw SS and 2b, and of course even bigger gap btw. 2b and 1b than normal.

imo, all the shift has done is move the holes that were there previously. You still have 4 IFs defending same amount of space–while shifts take away hole that use to be up the middle they have opened wider ones elsewhere. Up to hitters to find them or try and blast your way over them.

12. unca_chuck said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Let ’em do what they want.

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Dennis Miller never figured out how to exploit his resemblance to Charlie Manson, I guess.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:29 pm

Miller’s hair in the video….that’s….something.

13. Lurker John said, on June 18, 2021 at 12:16 pm

I would guess that the split would be one pitch that wouldn’t necessarily benefit from an increased spin rate. If anything, the opposite would be true, imo. That pitch is more about proper release and good arm action.

Fastball probably, breaking pitches definitely. Baseball’s history of cheating is long and distinguished, going back to its very beginnings. Not to justify it, but this is just the latest chapter. It’s all about that competitive edge.

I always recommend reading the terrifically entertaining “Cooperstown Confidential” for sordid details on baseball’s history of malfeasance. A real eye-opener.

14. zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:01 pm

“I still don’t understand the concept behind the “opener.” Maybe one of you gurus can enlighten me.”

I’m no guru, but I think, ideally, the “opener” is supposed to be a really good reliever, and hopefully does well in the first inning vs. the top of the order.
    The next guy in is usually a long-reliever type, who now has one less time to face the top of the order.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:03 pm

Oops, I see Snarkk already answered the question.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:16 pm

I answered it, but there may be more to it in the minds of Kap and ZMan.
        Whatever the supposed reason(s), I’ll think it’s dumb until proved otherwise. In the vain of just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. Just more moves to possibly take advantage of some interesting and newly visible stats, like adding useless functionalities to a software application that works just fine as is. Apparently now, there are refrigerators with chips that enable you to remotely, via a phone app, tell your frig and/or freezer to change the temperature targets. Is this something anybody would actually use? No wonder there’s a global microchip shortage, they’re being used for all sorts of nonsense…

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:24 pm

And all the chips and batteries are using up a finite amount of rare Earth metals. But that’s just more apocalyptic stuff to have to be concerned about….

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:08 pm

I don’t think chips use much rare earth metal, if any. One of the most amazing things about microchips is their total dependence on silicon. Lotta that around. Magnets use r e ms. But, hell, youth baseball bats do, too. Some of those metals are reclaimable, recyclable, thus the screaming of a saw that woke me about 4 am some months back as catalytic converter thieves did their work under a honda parked near my home. Local honda repair shops are making a fortune welding cages over the replacement c converters they install.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:46 pm

I read a thing about Spruce Pine quartz sand used in chips that made it sound kind of rare, but I could have misunderstood it.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Quartz isn’t metal, though, so that isn’t the same anyway.

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 3:40 pm

I guess the sand from Spruce Pine NC is as fabled as the New Jersey Lena Blackbourne mud they use to rub new baseballs, but I bet they’re both replaceable.

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 3:51 pm

I’d never before heard of the “spruce pine”. That’s interesting.

15. zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:18 pm

In the USA Today article it mentions that Brian Bannister was hired by the Giants to be Director of Pitching, a job title I’m not sure I had heard before.
    Even though there is also a regular pitching coach, Bannister has been involved in coaching Giants pitchers. Seems like he was the right guy for the Giants at the right time.
    From the article:
    ““I think the Giants have done a good job at bringing in a lot of really smart people,” says Gausman. “Brian Bannister is one of the best in the game that I’ve been around at figuring out what’s for each guy and tinkering with grips. It took some of our new guys a couple days in spring training to figure out, wow, this guy’s the real deal.””

16. alleykat69 said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:19 pm

To me an “opener” is like going to a concert, nobody really cares until you get to the main act..

17. snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:39 pm

I’m not against tech or progress or knowledge, not at all. I’m for robo umps at home plate. I’m for wireless technology connecting a chip in a 1bman’s mitt and the first base bag with some sort of pressure plate that renders the often wrong bang-bang call of the first base ump no longer needed so we can dispense with those replay reviews.
    And, I think the new info being generated in baseball on spin rate, batting stats, etc. are all interesting and obviously are helpful to management that can digest and use it. But, at some point the application of all this vast increase in information may lead to making the game so different than it used to be that it’s less enjoyable and magical sports entertainment. Do we really want to watch a statistics match until a baseball game occasionally breaks out?…

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:49 pm

The game, in real life, is becoming the Stratomatic baseball board game we played as kids. That’s pretty ironic.

18. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 1:46 pm

McIlroy at +1 thru 2 rounds, the rest of the Flav/Sandog picks about to tee off.

19. willedav said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Britney Eurton’s dad trainer Peter Eurton wins 3rd at Santa Anita on turf with Constant Conflict as Abel Cedillo edges out Umberto Rispoli horse in stretch.

I think there is constant conflict for all managers trying to figure out how to keep pitching staff, especially starters, prepared to withstand 162 game schedule this season. Giants are already down a couple SPs with Webb still hurt and Sanchez suffering setback in attempt to get going again. They started Kazmir couple times and he’s back in Sac, along with Beede who has had couple rough outings lately.

Giants still have 93 games, or 18 + times to get through 5 man rotation, to negotiate.

20. Winder said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:15 pm

I doubt the Phillies will be pushovers in this series. They just left LA and shutout Kershaw 2-0. I think the Phillies play us pretty tough for the most part.

21. willedav said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Beede numbers in Sac: 24 innings in 9 starts (pitch count limits in early ones) ERA of 7.77.
    Given up 21 hits and 22 walks, 29 Ks 4 bombs. It’s a hitters league with some elevation/hot weather yards, but still.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Yikes.
      Beede is 28. That’s old for not having established yourself yet in the bigs as a pitcher.
      If this current ZMan pitching regime and training approach can’t fix his wildness and inability to calm down when in trouble, maybe nobody can.
      He seems like a guy destined to be traded for some level A minor league reliever, if ZMan works some magic.
      If he were any good as a first rounder (14th overall), he’d have been on the 25 man for 3 years or more, already.
      Sabes blew that pick.
      Same draft, Matt Chapman went to the A’s at 25th overall…

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:55 pm

I think maybe Dodgers’ Beuhler was teammates with Beede at Vanderbilt.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:57 pm

A stretch of 10 years of bad drafting in the first round cost Sabean his job.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 6:02 pm

Doghairs took Buehler 25th in first round 2015.
        Giants had the earlier 18th pick, took:
        Phil Bickford.
        Ha ha. Now that’s a swing and a miss…

22. Winder said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:20 pm

For all the 49er fans that don’t have tv service Peacock is gonna show all three Sunday night games pretty sure for free.

23. unca_chuck said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:31 pm

Bilasport, baby! Free streaming. Not sure how glitchy it is for football, but for Giants games it has been great. For the NBA playoffs, not so great. Some are shown on nat’l TV (ABC, TBS), but a lot aren’t. And ESPN is out.

24. chipower9 said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:48 pm

1. LaMonte Wade Jr (L) LF
    2. M. Yastrzemski (L) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. B. Crawford (L) SS
    6. Wilmer Flores (R) 2B
    7. Steven Duggar (L) CF
    8. Jason Vosler (L) 3B
    9. Johnny Cueto (R) P

Fuck up the Phillies….we’ll sho you some “brotherly love.” 😉

25. chipower9 said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Agree with others…probably a tough series.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:54 pm

If Giants can win this one tonight with Cueto going, that would be a real plus heading into the weekend.
      Phillies aren’t the clown show that is the Dbacks…

26. Flavor said, on June 18, 2021 at 2:58 pm

At Pleasanton right now for their opener. It is amazing how few people here wear masks lol. Literally no one. Beautiful day even though it’s 105, nice warm breeze blowing through the grandstand right now. Feels like America is BACK

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 3:03 pm

Some of the people weren’t wearing masks at a grocery store I went to today.
      The vibe in the store seemed a little weird. The reopening is new territory.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 3:13 pm

In Alameda county, and I think statewide under Cal Osha until at least towards end of June, retail and other store employees are supposed to wear masks, though vaccinated patrons don’t have to. Supposedly, un-vaccinated customers still have to wear a mask in indoor stores. Yeah, sure. My snarkkettes work PT retail, indoors. They’ve already encountered a few customers not wearing masks and making remarks to them about they shouldn’t wear masks. I told them they should reply to these people that employees by law still have to wear masks to protect customers, and evenso, they’re wearing masks so they don’t get Covid from a sick non-masker and die from it after 3 weeks of ICU hell like their Gramma did a few months back…

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Oh man. So sorry to hear that. What a nightmare to go through.

• snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 5:48 pm

I have a buddy at my local Trader Joe’s who’s worked there for years. He told me last week that TJ’s will likely require the in-store workers to wear masks in CA, especially NorCal, for the foreseeable future, regardless of what the local or state authorities say…

• chipower9 said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:58 pm

I have not worn a mask my last couple of times I the grocery store. Been fully vaccinated for a couple months.

27. zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 5:12 pm

Today my geographical area broke its heat record for June 18. Not the kind of record you want to break.

28. Irish Kevin said, on June 18, 2021 at 6:06 pm

The Athletic had a good article on Caseli and his hand/wrist surgery. In the article talked about a lot of players break the Hamate bone and everyone heals at a different rate. Evidently Pablo broke both of his hamate bones, since he was a switch hitter. Hopefully Caseli is fully healed now and continue to raise his BA.

29. Irish Kevin said, on June 18, 2021 at 6:17 pm

Yeah Trader Joe’s is being a little over the top with the way they are handling the COVID thing, I went there about a week ago and they were still only letting in 25% of capacity. I have seen/ read so many articles on this. The Health specialist still don’t know if people will need a yearly shot or not. I read one article where Sweden ran tests on people who had COVID and the antibodies were in their bone marrow so they will not have to get a yearly shot, only a small sample size. So who knows what is going to happen with COVID-19. A surgeon friend says ask anyone to show a medical paper that shows you are still susceptible to the disease. He says that cause there is not one. So either the medical community does not share everything or they just don’t know, which is scary since supposedly the world has the top medical minds working on this.

30. Lurker John said, on June 18, 2021 at 6:36 pm

Snarkk and zumiee, thanks for the explanation. Still doesn’t make much sense to me, but I definitely lean towards the old school side of things when it comes to baseball and most other things as well. And snarkk, that refrigerator feature might be the dumbest thing I’ve heard all year and there’s been a lot to choose from. How often does anyone change the temp in their fridge? I’d guess once it’s set, hardly anyone.

31. xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Looks like the joint venture announcing crew is jovial tonight. Remember when the a’s and Giants tried that for a bay bridge series one year? Fossil Fosse kept losing his temper, as if Krukow was just trolling him. They dropped that jt venture real quick.

32. xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 6:48 pm

A kale burger. Goddammit Johnny.

33. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 6:54 pm

The game is still on MLB.tv, so thankfully I don’t have to get Peacock.

34. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:02 pm

Clowns…

35. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:05 pm

So if that stupid, incomprehensible wind diagram changes every inning as they just said, then what’s the point of only showing it once? Why don’t they just put it up before every batter and really drive everyone nuts?

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:16 pm

36. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Can you use 2 catchers as part of a shift?

37. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:19 pm

An O’double for Crawford…

38. gianthead said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:20 pm

Flav you look to have Dawg’s winnings in that US Open bet. I missed my opportunity to get in on it. I would have gone Henley and Brand….lol!

My pool picks were DeCham, Scheffler, Berger, DJ Coke Head, Cantlay and that loser Homa…

39. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:28 pm

Wow, lucky for Craw that throw was way off.

40. James said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:29 pm

Now that’s some terrible baserunning.

41. gianthead said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:30 pm

I have not worn a mask anywhere for the last three-four weeks!!! It is liberating to finally get back to normal. I was at Joe and Hunter Biden’s favorite restaurant in Georgetown for lunch and we had an outdoor table and only saw one person in or or out wearing a mask besides staff. I am on a flight to Portugal Monday and expecting masks will be required on the plane…

• gianthead said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:30 pm

We had a George Will sighting at lunch…

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:35 pm

Poor George Will. He probably feels like a lost soul. He still has baseball, though.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:36 pm

I never read his baseball book. It had a lot of LaRussa in it.

• gianthead said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:42 pm

George Will has been a man on an deserted island politically in the last decade…

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:20 pm

But you saw him!

42. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:35 pm

My God is this pathetic…

43. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:39 pm

That sure was a rough inning for Philly.

44. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm

What a gift!
    And more incredibly unintended stupid use of the replay rule…

• James said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:47 pm

Just like a runner missing the bag at first …

45. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Shimmy shake & quake.

46. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Does the Giant’s trainer ever do anything except put his hand on your shoulder and talk to you?

47. James said, on June 18, 2021 at 7:52 pm

That was unique.

48. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Johnny Longball.

49. xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:11 pm

This broadcast was doing okay until the gausman mid inning interview. Worse than espn. Cueto’s look isn’t so hot either. You’d think they might want to talk about that.

50. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:22 pm

O’triple for Wade!

51. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Herrera gets to everything but can’t catch them…

52. unca_chuck said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:25 pm

Go Johnny Go.Glad he didn’t have the jacket on.

53. zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:26 pm

Wade can’t be sent down to AAA; he’s too valuable to the big club.

• djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:36 pm

He’s batted lead off 13 of last 15 games.
      He ain’t going anywhere.
      The Sock Puppet seems like the odd man out right now…

54. unca_chuck said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Peacockj ust crapped out.

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:47 pm

yeah the peacock folded its tail for a while there

55. snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Yeah, Wade has turned into a valuable asset.
    Solid hitting approach. Can play IF well and OF just OK, in a pinch.
    I never heard of the dude before Zman pulled him up…

56. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:39 pm

Belted!

57. snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:39 pm

Belted to right !
    He’s back into one of his hot streaks.
    Keep it goin’…

58. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:44 pm

Falter is not a good name for a relief pitcher.

59. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:44 pm

60. snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:45 pm

It’s still low to mid ’80s here \in the East Bay at 8:45 pm.
    I’ve had 2 1/2 bourbon whisky sours on the back deck, so I’m a little wobbly and happy about the Giants performance so far. The Romeo y Julieta Cuban cocktail cigar has kept me upright so far.
    About ready to attack a large plate of antipasti and a glass of cold Moscato de Asti.
    Go Giants !!!
    Let’s Phinish these Phuckin’ Phills !!! …

61. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:50 pm

Wade does it all!

62. xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:51 pm

That was close. Tie goes against Bryce.

63. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 8:58 pm

Four announcers and one of them finally figured out the Phillies had a challenge left.

64. xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:02 pm

i don’t think they’re paying much attention to staff notes tonight.

65. James said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:05 pm

They may have been confused by the decision not to contest the call on Harper, which was actually a more important situation for the Phillies.

66. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:29 pm

Any chance they bring Rogers back for the 9th after a 9 pitch 8th?

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:41 pm

what a dreamlife you have

• Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Not anymore.

67. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:48 pm

Phive in a row!

68. djloo27 said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:48 pm

69. chipower9 said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:49 pm

Nice W!

70. Winder said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:49 pm

Good way to start it out.

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:50 pm

71. Macdog said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:50 pm

And so it goes for the D-Backs.

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:58 pm

the dead lasts

72. xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:52 pm

aw shit, no more anecdotes about Larry Bowa and John Vukovich?

Strange but good win. bums and pods both appear to be winning tonight, but they’re still behind the Giants.

73. zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 9:58 pm

As George would say:

• xoot said, on June 18, 2021 at 10:02 pm

what was his prissy punchline? something about devilish difficulty?

• zumiee said, on June 18, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I remember he used to be on a talk show with Sam Donaldson. Saturday Night Live skewered it pretty well.

74. snarkk said, on June 18, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Gints now 20 games over .500.
    Wow…

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2021 at 6:39 am

It’s crazy, man…

75. xoot said, on June 19, 2021 at 8:00 am

.500 ball from here on would = 91

• James said, on June 19, 2021 at 9:05 am

I can’t imagine enduring the pain of 46 more losses. It just wouldn’t be right.