A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Tell Me I’m Not The Only One Who Wanted To See the 6th K

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 24, 2021

Admit it. When SockMan strolled to the plate in the 13th inning you wanted to see it too. Come on, that’s “tell your grand kids” stuff right there. When he flailed away twice notching two quick strikes I’ve never been so confident in something happening in my life…..

At that moment I was jump starting my car. No longer listening to the radio and deeply shrouded in some pretty intense superstition, I wasn’t leaving my car till that goddamn game was over. The game was now on my laptop and for some reason I had the away feed going at bilasport. Suddenly SockMan did the unthinkable. He swung and made contact!!! I think that surprised both me and the Angels announcers. All of us silent, we just watched as the ball traveled unbelievably AWAY from the catchers mitt. As it landed some 409 feet from the plate the first and only thing the Angel announcer said was “That is not a strikeout….” and then the 3 of us went back to a few more seconds of stunned silence……..

Ten walks. 31 k’s. An emergency catcher sighting. Supposedly Gausman and Ohtani pitched great but no one will remember them or that. The Giants scored 7 runs on 2 hits in the 13th inning.

Mostly fueled by some pretty intense incompetence, that game was an all timer. We’ll never see one like that again….

1. Flavor said, on June 24, 2021 at 5:29 am

all things considered, is this the best flipping of the bird of all time?

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 6:09 am

This one ranks high also:

• Macdog said, on June 24, 2021 at 6:44 am

You’ve never been to an Eagles game.

2. Flavor said, on June 24, 2021 at 5:56 am

Stu Finer is such a dooshbag and who is that young idiot nearly hyperventilating with him?

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 6:25 am

lulz
      Those are some excited dudes.

• unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:14 am

This is why we can’t have nice things

3. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 6:33 am

Usually I bemoan the amount of strike outs in today’s baseball. But the game yesterday had good flow to it. The game was interesting and entertaining throughout. A good ol’-fashioned pitchers’ duel that turned into extra-inning bizarreness.
    I’m still not a fan of the phantom runner, but that was some crazy stuff.

4. djloo27 said, on June 24, 2021 at 6:46 am

Great lead, Flavor…

5. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 6:47 am

BF, your commitment to not jinxing the Giants yesterday was epic. I don’t believe in that kind of thing, myself, but I know a lot of sports fans do. I was intensely wrapped up in what was happening, though.

6. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 6:59 am

One time I was driving my mom somewhere and we stopped at a red light; when the light turned green, the car in front of me wasn’t moving, so I gave the lightest tap I could on my car horn, a very light sound of the horn, and the guy flipped me a bird and took off through the intersection. My mom thought it was very funny. She kept cracking up all the way to our destination. That bird was kind of surprising. I barely honked the horn.

7. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 7:08 am

Some drivers are not awesome:

8. willedav said, on June 24, 2021 at 7:43 am

Cool to see Giants fans everywhere, but with SF/Bay Area opening up hope locals show up to the O to watch 3 game set with A’s this weekend. Pads guy Cronenworth thought all the fans showing up to Petco fired them up starting last weekend. Pads have now won 7 in a row and swept Dodgers in front of 43 thou (with plenty of Dodger fans) Wed night.
    Fill the O!

9. willedav said, on June 24, 2021 at 7:47 am

Saw something about Giants being 22 games over .500 in 2016 and looked it up.
    True, July 2016 Giants lost to SD and were 57-35.
    Brebbia looks like he might be solid.

• xoot said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:48 am

Soon thereafter they lost 11 of 13 or something like that.

• xoot said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:20 am

I’d guess Buster’s hip — and his nearly total lack of power after the AS break, while everyone else was mashing the mid-season delivery of freshly juiced balls — was a major factor in the nosedive.

This year the team does not depend so heavily on just a few guys. Not at all. Still, steep drops can occur.

10. willedav said, on June 24, 2021 at 8:11 am

Romo apologized for dropping the pants bit. Said he was upset with himself after having given up 2 run HR that inning and that he’s been pitching same way for all this time. Melvin talked to him, and said “That won’t happen again.”
    Did the umps really inspect Angel reliever after he gave up 7 runs yesterday?
    wow. Manfred of course says everything is going fine. yeow

• unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:17 am

Yep. As he was coming off the mound. Just cuz yer sucking doesn’t mean you ain’t cheating.

11. Winder said, on June 24, 2021 at 8:47 am

That was a pretty nice pitching duel between Gaus and Ohtani. This team just never gives up.

12. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:32 am

Tonight’s Dodgers/Cubs game is on the MLB Network.

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:34 am

Dodgers/Cubs is also the Saturday Fox Game and the Sunday ESPN Game.

13. alleykat69 said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:59 am

As long as they don’t have that stupid peacock tv going for awhile I’ll be happy!
    Lots of Giant fans were pissed off sending emails on why would you do that on the father day 3 game weekend!!
    Just wondering how long can they continue to hold onto Sockless when u only get one glitter of hope a month..
    Doesn’t matter if the team likes him, good in the clubhouse yada yada, you have to produce at this level and their’s plenty of players at AAA chomping at the bit to get up here..
    Good headline post BF… Maybe somebody can jumpstart Tauchman easier then your car though..

14. Bozo said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:18 am

Besides the outfielder being the emergency catcher, the Angels had two pitchers in their batting order at an AL park. I wonder if that was the first time for that?

15. xoot said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:41 am

China Basin’ll be windy and cold tomorrow night; not much better Sat night and Sun. Cueto, Wood and Long will try to keep the a’s out of the left-side jet stream. I’d be happy with two of three.

16. snarkk said, on June 24, 2021 at 11:00 am

Who’s the emergency catcher for Giants — Buster ? …

17. willedav said, on June 24, 2021 at 11:02 am

This would be Belt’s 3rd trip to IL this season per Kerry Crowley here, in June. Plus covid and other problem in off season, after recovering from heel issue.

• alleykat69 said, on June 24, 2021 at 11:23 am

He also had the bout with mono in the off-season.
      Still wonder why he started the year on roster when he clearly wasn’t ready with limited ST time?

18. alleykat69 said, on June 24, 2021 at 11:19 am

Mauricio Dubon on the Giants clubhouse culture:
    “We don’t have any…I’m sorry…We don’t have any pricks here”

19. Macdog said, on June 24, 2021 at 1:39 pm

I just checked the A’s game and saw that Skye Bolt is playing, wasn’t he with the Giants early this season?

• snarkk said, on June 24, 2021 at 2:45 pm

It was a meteoric stint on the roster…

• willedav said, on June 24, 2021 at 4:30 pm

yeah A’s claimed him back (they put him on waivers first that’s how Giants got him) right away then activated him a week ago when an OF went down. Hit a HR too recently iirc.

20. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 7:55 pm

““Brandon [Belt] had an MRI, still waiting on the results,” Zaidi told KNBR’s “Tolbert, Krueger & Brooks Show”. “Obviously any time it’s a knee, and a knee that he’s had some issues with before, I think there’s a really good chance that he goes on the IL and that we’re going to need for somebody to come up and take his spot at least for the short term.””

• djloo27 said, on June 24, 2021 at 8:14 pm

I guess that doesn’t sound too bad…

21. djloo27 said, on June 24, 2021 at 8:13 pm

The first base ump just called a guy out who was safe by literally 3 feet.
    It was overturned immediately, but WTF???

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 8:45 pm

They’re just not very good. Maybe the sport is just too difficult for humans to officiate well. There is all kinds of technology, though, nowadays that could be used to help them officiate better.

• djloo27 said, on June 24, 2021 at 8:53 pm

It’s almost as if they don’t care.
        Like they’ve had it with being humiliated by the replays.
        Fuck it, let the camera make the call.
        In a way, I understand that…

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:30 pm

I think you nailed it exactly.

• unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:40 pm

It is pretty terrible these days. Even yesterday a play at 1st where the ball got there half a second before the runner hit the bag and was called out. The ump is 5′ away and can’t see the play?

• snarkk said, on June 24, 2021 at 11:01 pm

You could easily have a chip in both the 1Bman’s glove and in the first base bag that would sort the baserunner vs. ball in glove race quite easily. These bogus calls by the 1B umpire are just ridiculous, and could easily be resolved by technology…

22. djloo27 said, on June 24, 2021 at 8:59 pm

3-0 Cubs – top 6th…

23. alleykat69 said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Stick it to em Cubs!
    3-0 2 bombs of Buehler and the dog pile ain’t doing shit offensively off of Davies who’s tossing a _____

24. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Bases loaded and none out, and Bryant takes the first pitch, a fastball down the middle, and ends up taking 3 pitches for strikes. Horrible AB.

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Bryant ain’t what he was.

25. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:45 pm

3rd call overturned at firstbase.

• unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Are these guys held to account at all?

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 9:58 pm

It doesn’t seem like it.

26. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Bryant is a real good player. He’s just not elite-level anymore. It happens to all great players.

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:16 pm

And some have longer runs of greatness than others.

27. alleykat69 said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Cubs throw a No Hitter against the Dodgers win 4-0
    Craig “The Velocity Raptor” Kimbrel closes it out!
    Lol Fuck LA!!!

28. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Cubs get the no-hitter!!

29. zumiee said, on June 24, 2021 at 10:31 pm

And Beuhler takes the loss.

• willedav said, on June 25, 2021 at 7:12 am

yeah 2 bombs did him in. Maybe it ain’t their year. All those great Giants teams of 60s couldn’t get back into WS after losing in 62. I was sure they’d be back after watching Mac line out to Richardson—never happened.

30. willedav said, on June 25, 2021 at 7:06 am

Dogs hardly got loud foul. with Muncy Bellinger Betts in lineup. Kimbrel dominated with killer slider and 98 heat.
    NBA and NHL playoffs very exciting games in division finals–new winners somewhere at least in NBA.

• djloo27 said, on June 25, 2021 at 7:24 am

Kimbrel said he had no idea he was finishing a no-hitter.
      Lightning-Islanders should be a war tonight…

31. willedav said, on June 25, 2021 at 7:07 am

all Sharks fans (and many others) happy Vegas is out.
    Club de Hockey!