USA! USA!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 5, 2021

Nice. One more game to fatten up on the dregs of the league…

What’s this? The US is in the gold medal game for baseball? How could that be? Who are those guys? They’re playing Japan, I’m assuming they have their best players going. But what do i know. Anyone got a US team roster? I’d love to see who’s leading the charge there.

1. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 7:35 am

Cool on the USA baseball Olympic team. I had no idea. They play Saturday at 3 AM.

Here’s the roster. Mostly AAA and a few AA and FAs. Mike Scioscia is the manager (always hated that guy as a bum).

Nice W last night and great to see Gausman have a good outing. We need that to continue.

Get the W and series win today.

2. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 7:36 am

Anyone else going to be able to make the Flapzlooza on the 14th?

Is it just Mac, Flav and me?

I know Sarge already has a ticket for that day, so he will be in the yard.

3. blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2021 at 8:33 am

Off topic . . . So happy for Paul finally getting shot 1 of the Moderna vaccine. Six weeks hence, he’ll have the 2nd shot. Fairly certain that all Flappers are protected. Fantastic news.

Good article today regarding Moderna having the best efficacy % for booster shots (so they claim in trials conducted thus far). I have the Moderna vaccine and will try very hard to get a booster shot from them should it be approved.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 8:47 am

Great news for Paul. I’ll get a booster when the say it is recommended. I got the Pfizer shots months ago.

I think the biggest help to the situation will be when the vaccines are fully approved.

4. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 9:11 am

Kazmir is pitching for USA. He of the 3 innings with us. He’d better get ready for that World Series ring!

5. sandog said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:17 am

Where are you Flapalooza dudes gonna sit? Half of the fun for me is the whole ticket discussion/negotiation.
    I’m bummed out I’m not in the middle of it. Flash sale ends tomorrow at 2.

Blog from last night has me laughing at my work desk. You guys got off some good lines re Cacti, Amy G, Ethyl Chloride, Bryant getting some teammate help unloading the Bekins van etc…

Any word on KB? I’m a little concerned as it sounds like he is a guy who does get dinged up and misses some games.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:24 am

No firm decision on seat location that I am aware of…Flav mentioned the Club Level. I am good with that. Wish you were joining us SanDog…

6. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:22 am

Wow…BB9 in the line-up.

1. LaMonte Wade Jr (L) RF
    2. Tommy La Stella (L) 3B
    3. Kris Bryant (R) CF
    4. Alex Dickerson (L) LF
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Donovan Solano (R) 2B
    7. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    8. Curt Casali (R) C
    9. Alex Wood (R) P

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:27 am

That’s not a bad LU. Add Posey and it’s pretty darn good…

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:37 am

Bryant in CF could mean the end for the Grave Duggar and Slater…

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:39 am

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:57 am

Not so sure about that. I can see them using Bryant (as they have to date) in various positions. No way I see him as a permanent fixture in CF.

7. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:31 am

Hey zum, your comment last night on RBI’s no longer relevant for HOF consideration — I don’t get that.
    If RBIs don’t matter, then what offensive stats do? I don’t see RBIs as the equivalent of Ws for pitchers being less and less relevant. Notwithstanding that the HOf is total BS now anyway…

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:42 am

The belief of the new analytics is that RBIs is something that relies too much on what other players do; getting on base in front of the hitter.
      I see a lot of sportswriters and pundits talking about career WAR total. That one has become a big one now.
      Some of the compilation stats still seem to get a lot of attention. 3,000 hits, especially. I’m not sure that 500 HRs has the same esteem it used to, but maybe it does. There won’t be any more 300 win pitchers.
      Sportswriters look at the number of seasons of dominance. Kershaw will get in because of years of dominant ERA and strike out totals.
      If Posey can have a few more seasons like this season, with a good batting average and OPS, he should make the Hall pretty easily. Maybe not first ballot, but eventually. He has so many awards already. He’s won all the major awards.

• blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:53 pm

You’re correct about WAR and advanced analytics. Quite frankly, that’s the only way in my opinion that any pitchers get in, not named Verlander, Kershaw. For example, Greinke and Scherzer are big maybes.

I have read a couple of articles about Posey and he actually seems like a slam dunk. Remember, Molina is probably going to get in even easier. He’s a nine-time All-Star, a nine-time Gold Glover and a two-time World Series winner. In my opinion, a no doubter. Similarly, Posey has got all the awards too (2010 NL Rookie of the Year, ’12 NL Most Valuable Player), and a seven-year run as one of the best players in the game. Couple that with three rings, and the fact that there are some things Posey does that you can’t quantify. Anyway, their WAR is separated by about 2 points (54.5 Molina and 52.6 Posey) at the beginning of this season. Consequently, I think Posey can get in without another season in the books, but that’s just me.

8. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 11:59 am

Gausman put on the paternity list today. Wonder if there are complications with his wife?

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:02 pm

I heard on radio that the birth will be induced tomorrow. Can’t vouch for it myself, of course…

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:55 pm

I saw that recently, snarkk. And yeah, Loo…a chance to kick the can down the road re: who will go to free-up Belt’s spot…

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Hopefully just some roster trickery since he’s not due to pitch again till Tuesday 8/10…

9. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:01 pm

Mays rarely had decent “table setters” in my memory anyway…

10. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:06 pm

Here’s a link to the top RBI guys of all time.
    Essentially all of the top 30 or so are in the HOF. Seems high correlation there, to me.
    I don’t understand then why Jeff Kent gets no HOF love, other than the HOF is BS, and/or they don’t care about RBIs now, as zum says.
    Kent has more RBIs than Mantle, also more hits. WAR for Kent 55.5; Mantle 110. Was Mantle twice as good as Kent? You look at the other offensive stats, the HRs are the glaring difference between the two, which largely gives more SLG to Mantle (.557) over Kent (.500). But, those stats for a 2nd baseman are off the charts, not so much for an OFer…

• James said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:29 pm

That RBI’s are “meaningless” is maybe a little too strong. If someone piles up 1500 RBIs in a career, that’s a pretty impressive total. It’s on a season to season level that RBI totals are less of a reliable indicator of what a player’s ability is to help his team score runs. If you’re a career mid-700s OPS player, and one season you drive in 95 with a 750 OPS, no latter day GM will count on a similarly high RBI total from you in future seasons. It’s also unlikely you’ve come very close to that total in previous seasons.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:36 pm

James and I once discussed Deron Johnson’s remarkable 1965 season…

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:40 pm

11. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:35 pm

One year Aaron went 44/97, FWIW…

12. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Amazing 4 times Aaron hit 44HR’s his jersey number..

13. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Then again Khris Davis (A’s) had 4 consecutive years of batting .247 for a season.How could that ever happen?

14. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Radio broadcast today featuring Doug Greenwald and Randy Wynn.
    Oy.
    I use the term “featuring” loosely…

15. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Radio broadcast today with Doug Greenwald and Randy Wynn attempting to fill-in…

16. Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:34 pm

I’m driving around listening to this game on the radio greenwald’s voice is impossible to listen to

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:42 pm

I’m in the minority, but I didn’t much care for his father Hank, either…

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Hank flopped in his brief Yankee stint…

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:44 pm

Not a fan of him or Winn as broadcasters…

17. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:39 pm

This game is pure fuckin’ agony to watch…

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:45 pm

It is equally agonizing listening on the radio. Actually, it is MUCH WORSE because it is fucking Doug Greenwald and Randy Winn…

18. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:42 pm

Kotter drumming his fingers on dugout railing…

19. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:46 pm

Nice escape.
    Not over yet…

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:50 pm

No. This team has proven its resiliency. But they need to get the fucking bats going pronto, and hold the line against the snakes.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:54 pm

It ain’t over until Randy Winn and Doug Greenwald open their traps…for me these guys are hard to listen to…

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

20. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Wow. All of our starters are looking wobbly lately. Everyone should get a turn break.

21. xoot said, on August 5, 2021 at 1:58 pm

meanwhile, Flemming and Krukow come through. Flemm bragged about being named after an 18th centurey Virginia plantation owner and Kruk, talking about Crawford’s stagnant 18 HR total (none since July 10), said: “It’s amazing how you can get stuck on a number.” And those are the highlights.

22. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:06 pm

I have no special info, but I really do expect changes in the announcer booths next season. Kuip ill with an unknown (to me anyway) cancer, Kruk fighting that nerve disease, Flemm announcing everywhere, and Jon Miller kind of an unknown on his situation, other than he seems to go “on assignment” more often these days…

• alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Yeah they need to lockdown Flemm ( back up the Brinks Truck) cause he’s still YOUNG with all body parts still functioning properly.Same might go with Estes if he wants it full time.They would make a good team together cause they need to get younger in the booth. Flem the play by play guy,Estes the Analyst,Miller on assignment lol 😂 with a rare cameo appearance..

23. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:06 pm

We should be lighting Kelly up.

• alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:35 pm

That’s what the Germans thought in Kelly’s Hero’s..

24. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Man, they are gonna use up Jay’s arm as quick as possible.

25. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:14 pm

A split with these chumps is NOT optimal…

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:18 pm

No, but the goal, regardless of opponent, is always to play .500 on the road.

26. xoot said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:32 pm

but I liked Krukow’s digression on the Olympic baseballs, which come coated with an approved stickum out of the box and have drawn raves from the players (apparently).

27. xoot said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:32 pm

I bet they work Estes and Pence into the mix over the next year or two.

28. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Haven’t heard Pence yet, but I’m sure he’ll be interesting at least. Javy, Winn, and Snow are painfully boring.

29. Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 2:53 pm

Greenwald sounds like he’s got a cold doing the game from SpoongeBob’s pinapple

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:14 pm

lqtm…

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:20 pm

I question whether Doug Greenwald would have been given a microphone by anybody if he had his same voice and style, but was named Doug Smith…

30. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:28 pm

3 ringing hits as Crawdaddy’s was close to a splash hit..
    Keep the Congo line moving..

31. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Oh my.

32. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:32 pm

And now Solano gets Clipped..
    Baseloaded no outs fir Belt
    Let’s go poolside HR!!

33. Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:34 pm

man let’s fucking GO!

34. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Huh? Did the RFer just give up on that?

35. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Conga Conga Conga…

36. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:36 pm

Blast!

37. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Fuck! Hanging curve

38. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Oh well. Double fuck.

39. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:41 pm

gasp

40. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:44 pm

WADE on in…the water is fine!

41. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:44 pm

Wade!!!!!!!! fuckin’ yeah!!!!!!!!

42. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:45 pm

What an awesome AB!! By Wade!!!
    Money!!!!

43. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Damn. Hell of an inning. Merrill’s pretty fucking bummed right about now.

44. Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:47 pm

that at bat was incredible

45. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:47 pm

That Wade AB has to be in the top 10 team ABs of the year…

46. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Jesus.

47. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Cecil Fielder and his son Prince both hit 319 home runs.

48. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:53 pm

We got LaStella on 1st. Got some wheels.

49. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Maybe there is some extra mojo when they show the Tarantino Family!
    Shit there on the payroll now, merchandise, autographs, the little girls finger curses helping Gausman last night, shaking their caps in unity for the rally tie..

50. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Go Gyants!!!

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:23 pm

Like it!

51. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Bryant doubling down!

52. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Bryant just his lasers!!
    For the lead and let’s add on!!

53. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:06 pm

One more hit.

54. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:07 pm

Get one more, need it.
    Greenwald friggin’ constantly talks BS over the damn play in progress, all monotone.
    I can’t tell a double in progress from a fly ball…

55. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Warning grave power only sigh)😧

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:22 pm

that’s a homerun in lots of other ball parks. In fact, 13 of them

56. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:10 pm

Damn. That ended with a thud.

57. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:21 pm

Weeeeee Doggies! Wild ass win!

58. Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:21 pm

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

59. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:22 pm

60. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:22 pm

And another series win! Fuck yeah!

61. Winder said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:22 pm

Wow. Classic.

62. xoot said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:22 pm

man am I glad I stuck with this game!

63. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Ballgame Baby!! 3 out of 4 when it looked like a split how sweet it is!!!
    Wade is a baller with that fantastic AB!!!

64. snarkk said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:25 pm

I rightly had visions into the late innings of a crappy split with these dog doo Dbacks.
    But, Noooooo !
    Great comeback win.
    Easily a top 10 win of the season, along with Wade’s top 10 AB.
    Belt had a really critical AB and hit in the 9th to get things going.
    Bryant with 3 hits incl the game winner, must feel like he’s part of the team now.
    Good Pen work in the latter innings…

65. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:27 pm

xoot – you (or anyone else) going to make the Flapalooza?

• James said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:48 pm

There’s an outside chance I’ll make it, but don’t hold off on buying tix because of me.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Hope you can make it James.

• xoot said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:52 pm

no, I can’t make it. Sounds like it’ll be a great welcoming party for Mac, though.

66. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:28 pm

These are the games that make you think anything is possible.
    I remember that Atlanta comeback in ’93…

67. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Hell of a win!! Gotta love this team.

68. gianthead said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:31 pm

What a crazy win…

69. Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:37 pm

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:39 pm

too bad we were in any of those parks.

70. gianthead said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:41 pm

Oh lord Kazmir on Team USA??? I see Tyler Austin who had a cup of coffee with us on that roster as well…

• alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:49 pm

Along with his last hurrah Todd Frazier..

71. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:46 pm

And now on to Thursday Night Football 🏈
    Steelers/Cowboys.How could that be already?
    I haven’t even thought about Fantasy Football Draft yet..

• Winder said, on August 5, 2021 at 4:54 pm

I am addicted to FF.

72. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Yep, just joined a winner take all league at my work. $50.00 buy in, winner gets $600.00.

73. Flavor said, on August 5, 2021 at 5:48 pm

i stopped playing season long leagues 6 years ago. You guys need to get in on the game at draftkings. PLay daily, it’s 500 X more fun, you get paid THAT NIGHT and you don’t have to worry about your star players getting injured and ruining your season

74. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Do you guys grasp what our team did today???
    If it was night game, I would never get to sleep…

75. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2021 at 7:04 pm