Another Shocking Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 9, 2021

“Against all Odds”…..”Shocking Win”…..”Another Shocking Win”…..the headline writer at Flap Industries is getting a WORK OUT lately. Every day though, The Giants find a new way to win. And not just win but compete. They never stop competing. It’s really the essence of who they are as a team.

We are THIRTY GAMES over .500 right now.

1. chipower9 said, on August 9, 2021 at 6:30 am

The Train Kept a Rollin’…

Incredible. Saturday night’s game was the real kicker for me. Trial most of the game. Tie it late. Take a three run lead in the 10th. Squander that…and still win it next frame. And against one of the best teams in the NL in their yard.

Craig –
    I was out this weekend with friends on a guys weekend and didn’t drop into the Flap. Any more talk of a Flapalooza with Mac, on Saturday?

• Macdog said, on August 9, 2021 at 7:16 am

Hey Chi, not much really this weekend. I was out all day yesterday driving across Pennsylvania, still have to catch up on the game highlights.

• chipower9 said, on August 9, 2021 at 7:25 am

Cool. Just keep me posted. Would be cool if it happens (Flapalooza on Saturday).

2. Bozo said, on August 9, 2021 at 8:07 am

“We are THIRTY GAMES over .500 right now.”

Unreal, this must be that one episode of The Twilight Zone that I missed.

3. Irish Kevin said, on August 9, 2021 at 8:57 am

So at the beginning of the season who predicted less than 80 wins. How many had 90 or greater ?

4. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2021 at 9:03 am

I think 85 was the high. I had 80.

• snarkk said, on August 9, 2021 at 9:13 am

77 here.
      I thought that was optimistic…

5. Irish Kevin said, on August 9, 2021 at 9:20 am

Over on the Athletic Ken Rosenthal compares the orioles Mike Elias and Zaidi, who were hired at the same time by there respective teams, he points out the Orioles have the worst record in BB. I am not going to paste the analysis of the Orioles. Here is what he said about the Giants and Zaidi.

The Orioles’ trade of Yastrzemski, in the view of one club official, was partly the result of faulty communication between the front office and player-development department in the months after took Elias took over. At the time, Zaidi was near the end of his first spring training with the Giants, collecting outfielders at a dizzying pace.

Michael Reed arrived during that period in a trade from the Twins. Zaidi designated him for assignment on April 2, the sixth day of the season, after obtaining Kevin Pillar from the Blue Jays. Connor Joe, a Rule 5 pick, also joined the Giants late in the spring, from the Reds. Zaidi designated him on April 8 after obtaining another outfielder from the Twins, Tyler Austin.

The churn left some fans disoriented, especially early in Zaidi’s tenure. But more than half of the Giants’ current 26-man roster, and almost the entire bullpen, is composed of players Zaidi acquired largely on the cheap. At the high end of that group is infielder Wilmer Flores, who is earning $3 million this season on the second year of a two-year deal, which includes a $3.5 million club option for 2022.

Beyond Yastrzemski, consider:

• Infielder Donovan Solano, signed to a minor-league deal on Jan. 13, 2019. Nicknamed “Donnie Barrels,” his OPS in three seasons with the Giants is .782.

• Outfielder Alex Dickerson, acquired from the Padres on June 10, 2019, for reliever Franklin Van Gurp. Though inconsistent this season, Dickerson still has 12 homers. The Padres released Van Gurp on March 26, and he signed a minor-league contract with the Mariners on June 30.

• First baseman Darin Ruf, signed to a minor-league deal on Jan. 24, 2020, after playing three seasons in Korea. In 260 plate appearances this season, Ruf has 13 home runs and a .960 OPS.

• Outfielder/first baseman Lamonte Wade Jr., acquired from the Twins on Feb. 4, 2021, for right-hander Shaun Anderson. In 211 plate appearances with the Giants, Wade has 13 homers and an .862 OPS. Since the trade, Anderson has been waived by the Twins, Rangers and Orioles. He is now at Triple A with the Padres.

• The bullpen, which includes three pitchers signed to minor-league deals (Jay Jackson, Dominic Leone, Zack Littell), two who signed major-league deals for $1.15 million and $800,000, respectively (Jose Álvarez, John Brebbia) and another who was claimed off waivers from the Marlins in February 2020 (Jarlin Garcia).

True, the Giants had the financial wherewithal last offseason to make Gausman a one-year, $18.9 million qualifying offer, which he accepted. But Gausman originally arrived in 2020 on a one-year, $9 million free-agent contract, not unlike the deals DeSclafani ($6 million) and left-hander Alex Wood ($3 million) signed last winter. Those three have combined for a 3.14 ERA in 63 starts. Another bargain, closer Jake McGee, is 24-for-26 in save opportunities with a 2.09 ERA in the first year of a two-year, $5 million free-agent contract.

Under Zaidi, the Giants also are succeeding in evaluating their own young players, sticking, for example, with center fielder Steven Duggar. The farm system, too, has improved, from 28th entering Zaidi’s first season to 15th this year, according to Baseball America. And this offseason, the Giants will be in position to pursue virtually any free agent they want. Most of their big contracts are expiring, leaving them with only $30.8 million committed in 2022.

Make no mistake, the Giants’ success would not be possible without the resurgences of catcher Buster Posey and shortstop Brandon Crawford, both of whom were All-Stars this season, as well as first baseman Brandon Belt and third baseman Evan Longoria, both of whom have missed significant time with injuries. But Zaidi has surrounded those players with complementary parts, without relying solely on the draft.

The Giants are not the only team following this course. Other clubs, from the low-revenue Brewers, Athletics and Rays to the high-revenue Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox, are coming up with their own undervalued finds. Still, other GMs regard Zaidi’s ability to excavate such players almost as if it’s his superpower. Zaidi might object to such a characterization, knowing the hard work that goes into evaluation. In the end, what matters is this: On and off the field, it’s difficult to beat the Giants.

• snarkk said, on August 9, 2021 at 9:57 am

Nice to get some respect from outside the Giants bubble.
      ZMan and Kap have to be in the lead for exec and mgr of the Year, easily…

6. chipower9 said, on August 9, 2021 at 9:39 am

I think I predicted 78 or 79…maybe 80, and I thought whatever my number was was optimistic.

7. Irish Kevin said, on August 9, 2021 at 10:00 am

MLB POWER RANKINGS ,

1. San Francisco Giants

Record as of Aug. 9: 71-41
    Last Power Ranking: 1

“We had no business winning that game, really,” Kris Bryant said Thursday. The Giants had just rallied from four runs down to defeat the Diamondbacks, 5-4 in 10 innings. Bryant’s surprise in that moment after he parachuted into a pennant chase changed nothing about this Giants season. Fans around the league still think the Giants have no business winning all these games, and yet well into August, they keep winning, they keep holding off the Dodgers, they keep pitching and they keep bashing. The team with the most home runs this season plays in San Francisco. That’s in the bat, not the park. They didn’t move the fences in that much.

The Giants are playing almost ideal baseball. They do nothing especially out of the ordinary, but they do everything at least well. They were the first team to reach 70 wins, last week. They will be the first to reach 80 wins. And they will probably be the first to 90 wins. They haven’t won 100 games since 2003, the only time the Giants have done it this century. That should be their bar.

It’s also a brutal reminder. That ’03 Giants team, the one that played during Barry Bonds’ string of four consecutive MVP awards, cruised their way to the top of the West. Then they lost in four games to the Marlins in the NLDS. Baseball can be brutal. Hold tight.

8. Bozo said, on August 9, 2021 at 10:06 am

On March 29th This was my prediction – “On the Giants, Kapler is going to prove me wrong big time, the old ones will prove everyone wrong and the platoon of RufDick will break down just as Ramos is ready to be called up.
    I’m going with 82 wins.”

Kapler has proved me wrong, although I still haven’t warmed up to the guy (probably the only Giants manager that I wouldn’t want to have beers with}.
    Craw and Posey having AS years, Belt and Longoria have contributed big time when healthy.
    A fail on the RufDick prediction, Ruf has come up big and the Dick, though I wouldn’t miss him, has hit some dingers.
    I hope I’m wrong on the 82 wins as well, say bump that one up an extra 20.

• James said, on August 9, 2021 at 10:22 am

I’ll bet there’s as much overlap between Kap’s music collection and yours as there is with Dusty Baker’s.

• Bozo said, on August 9, 2021 at 11:33 am

Hmm, not sure about that. After running into Dusty at Slims, a record distributer friend of mine upped Johnny Bs Blues and R&B collection in a big way. Still, your guy Kapler is winning for the Giants and that’s what counts.

• James said, on August 9, 2021 at 12:26 pm

I may have oversold your interest in Orange County punk bands 🙂

• Bozo said, on August 9, 2021 at 12:43 pm

Ha, well if we’re talking X, Fear, the Blasters, Los Lobos, the Flesh Eaters and Gun Club maybe so.

• unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2021 at 3:12 pm

Ska?

9. alleykat69 said, on August 9, 2021 at 10:29 am

“THE TEAM WITH THE MOST HOMERUNS IN BASEBALL PLAYS IN SAN FRANCISCO!”
    That has such a great ring to it!! Along with a LEAGUE LEADING 70 WINS!!!
    The Giants are the real deal,so screw all the doubters, they thrive on being the underdog always have,they’re brand of baseball is the best by far!!
    Z/H the coaching staff are top notch and are way ahead of the curve with the amazing accomplishments this team and future teams will do!!!

10. chipower9 said, on August 9, 2021 at 10:39 am

I know this will bum out a number of you…especially Bozo who often makes the trek. New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Fest has been canceled due to Covid issues.

• Bozo said, on August 9, 2021 at 11:41 am

Not to mention it will still be hurricane season in October, but we decided we are still going. We figure we can hopefully still see some friends and maybe do some house hunting. It probably isn’t any safer, but we are flying instead of driving through the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi before getting into Louisiana.

• chipower9 said, on August 9, 2021 at 12:35 pm

You guys are looking to move to Louisiana?

• Bozo said, on August 9, 2021 at 12:54 pm

We’ve been thinking about it for a long time, me even longer. Recently saw a place on the north shore that we liked a lot, not sure we could afford it tho. We passed on a place that we both loved in Covington about 5 years ago, that one was a shoulda, coulda, woulda for sure.

11. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2021 at 10:39 am

How could I forget Franklin Van Gurp?

• alleykat69 said, on August 9, 2021 at 10:57 am

Probably when you were gurping down a big gulp and got a brain freeze 🥶

• Bozo said, on August 9, 2021 at 11:44 am

What about Mike Gerber?

12. Winder said, on August 9, 2021 at 12:51 pm

I had 74 wins and the reason being I thought the BC would drag us down and that our starting pitching was suspect. Yeah right. What a fun year. There is a team spirit working here that just doesn’t give up.

• unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2021 at 4:47 pm

My concern was the pen. I thought the SP would be OK. Not nearly as good as they are going.

13. sfsarge said, on August 9, 2021 at 1:28 pm

I don’t recall if I ever actually posted my prediction, but I think I was somewhere around 82 games.
    I won a bunch of twitter notifications for my prediction and a chuckle from the mrs.
    This season is so fun and unexpected. Like Loo said the other day, I’m gonna try to appreciate what we’re witnessing here in the moment. This is quite the run.

• Flavor said, on August 9, 2021 at 7:48 pm

so no free dinner?

• sfsarge said, on August 9, 2021 at 8:33 pm

Nope, not even a thanks for listening.

14. xoot said, on August 9, 2021 at 4:56 pm

Connor Joe was 2-4, 2 HRs for the rockies yesterday. They were at home, but still — Zaidi’s flyer on him looks less irrational all the time. Cutting him loose still looks ok, though. This FO is remarkable.

I had 72 but I was sure that number would rise as the Giants made moves, etc. I didn’t expect this launch angle, this exit velocity, however. What a season. It reminds me of 1978, but better. That team was twenty over .500 in mid-August when they finally started to falter vs. the bums. Thirty over? Amazing. After this recent crazy, grueling road trip triumph, I don’t forsee much falter.

The Flesh Eaters — now there’s a deep cut to savor.

15. Flavor said, on August 9, 2021 at 7:10 pm

I think I came in at like 68 or something. I know nothing.

16. Flavor said, on August 9, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Chi– you,me and Mac are hitting the game.Sarge, where are you sitting? With only 3 of us we should be able to sit wherever we want.

• sfsarge said, on August 9, 2021 at 8:35 pm

I have seats in the view level somewhere. I never sit up there. I have a connection that will let me sit in the box seats in right field. Sit wherever you guys want, I’ll come find you. Unless you sit club level, but even then I still may get a ticket.

17. Flavor said, on August 9, 2021 at 8:02 pm

I hate people that lazily say “let that sink in” to end a comment. Fuck that I deleted that shit.

18. mrsprtdude said, on August 9, 2021 at 9:55 pm

I scrolled back to see my prediction. Couldn’t find it. I think I was more optimistic than most. around .500. I did see Craig blasting the keeping of Lamont on the 40 man roster! So glad we were all wrong. 30 games over. unbelievable!