A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Breathing Room

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 23, 2021

Scott Kazmir in a must win pressure packed September game? LOL, sure why not. When this dude was a damn rookie Barry Bonds was busy taking down the batting crown in 2004 with a .362 batting average. I think The Kaz also took down a silver medal this year in the Olympics. Maybe it was bronze, whatever, this dude is piling up wins for us on top of Olympic medals and I don’t know what the hell is going on anymore!

Two up with 10 to go! Let’s fucking go!!!!!

1. gianthead said, on September 23, 2021 at 5:53 am

Well I went to bed up 3-0 after top of first and forgot Kazmir was pitching. How did he only give up one run??? We need to end the Tyler Rogers as closet experiment right the fuck now!!! I hen is McGee back? Doval masterful but can he take that playoff pressure? Stick with Jarlin as closer for now.

• Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 8:11 am

Kaz was pretty good, but he also had a little luck: A ground-rule double that cost the Pads a run, and Machado barely missed hitting a HR. Getting 4 shutout innings from Kaz was found money, and why Kap left him in as long as he did in the 5th is baffling.

2. gianthead said, on September 23, 2021 at 5:54 am

A college team could have scored a dozen on Kashmir.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 9:29 am

Mama, Mama
      Ain’t no denying
      No denying

3. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 7:04 am

Kazmir was pretty good for three innings but unraveled in the 4th. I appreciate his efforts but it wouldn’t bother me in the least if that’s his last appearance with the Giants. He’s like a ticking time bomb. And Garcia was pretty shaky at times, too, last night, not to mention Rogers who I’d really rather not see in the 9th inning.

But they won. With Webb going today, they really need to grab the sweep and keep the pressure on. Who knows what will happen in Denver.

4. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 7:04 am

Head – Garcia does not look like the guy to close, to me. He got roughed-up last night: 4H, 3ER, gave up a HR in the 6th.

If they throw any new arm into the closing fray, I vote for Doval. He came in with bases juiced to face Machado. Ks him on three pitches and then induces a ground ball DP.

BTW – I have heard if we get McGee back it will be near the end of the regular season, at earliest.

• Giant Head said, on September 23, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Danke. I was fast asleep and did not see the box score when I posted

5. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 7:28 am

Yeah, Garcia was not good last night. Putting Doval in that spot would be risky, but so is Rogers or anyone else on the team. Not-so-Jolly Rogers was 2 mm from losing the game on Tatis’ shot in the 9th. I’m all for Doval.

6. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 7:38 am

I’d be fine with TWatson at this point. Anyone but Rogers.That was excruciating these last couple games.

7. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 8:08 am

Yeah, Mr. Rogers makes me nervous every time he takes a walk in the save opportunity neighborhood. He is 13 of 19 is save opportunities.

I too would be down with Watson to close. He looked great last night. Problem is who takes his slot on set-up? Rogers?

And I know it would be risky to put Doval into a close situation, but I would do it to see how the kid does. He sure as fuck had no problem coming into a stressful situation last night.

8. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 8:11 am

Yep. Whatever it is, a change has tobe made. It would suck balls to get this close only to have Rogers implode and give up a couple games this close to the end.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 9:05 am

If nothing else, Rogers is unshakable.
      Important trait for a closer…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 10:08 am

True, Loo.

9. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 8:32 am

Just go by committee and let each game dictate the pitching changes as it goes along.
    If Doval was named the closer before the game, they wouldn’t have had him available to bail out Kazmir.
    I’d rather use someone when you need him, than save him for a situation that might never come up.
    Kotter seems to hesitate at times to make an obvious pitching change.
    Maybe not locking anyone into a role will help him and his gang of advisors do what’s necessary.
    Everything is always subject to change…

• Winder said, on September 23, 2021 at 9:03 am

Good point it seems to be working so far.

• willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 9:45 am

Yes situation of lineup. Leone is an option too. Drama or not, pen has been very successful.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 10:09 am

Agree. My point was that I would not be averse to letting Doval or Watson get a chance to close, but agree, let the situation dictate the moves.

10. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 9:05 am

Giants players have all said how Rodgers has a cool demeanor even with trouble lurking everywhere.So yes he can drive us all crazy but his teammates have his backs just like McGoo so that’s all that matters.

I thought Kazmir pitched quite well giving and saving some pen work always a bonus!
    Padres have checked out like the Mets and probably Reds now as Cardinals are steamrolling with 11 straight wins, (Giants are Dodgers probably don’t want to face that team in a 1 game move on scenario)

Giants with Webb today will roll to the Sweep 🧹 🧹🧹 and put up win number 100 💯 it’s still amazes me on how well they have consistently played for a whole season, win streaks at 9 tops but only 5 losses in a row tops which will keep you in pennant races to the end..

11. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 9:19 am

“Rabbit hole” has surged past “narrative” on my list of annoying words and expressions that every media idiot has decided to constantly use…

12. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 10:17 am

Interesting. Mashitto not in the line-up for the friars…works for me, I cannot stand his sorry ass.

13. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 10:39 am

Sticking with Posey(3 straight games and after 2 ..4 hr games) I like it, especially with his hot bat and maybe he just says , hey I want to be on the field for number 100 and it’s the stretch run, so keep your best LU out there..

14. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 10:41 am

1. Tommy La Stella (L) 2B
    2. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    3. Kris Bryant (R) LF
    4. LaMonte Wade Jr. (L) RF
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    7. Mike Yastrzemski (L) CF
    8. Curt Casali (R) C
    9. Logan Webb (R) P

15. snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 10:55 am

I really don’t care if Rogers is a cool cucumber out there, while all hell is breaking loose. The issue is to NOT ALLOW all hell to break loose in the first place. The Captain on the Titanic may have been stoic as the water came into the bridge as the ship went down, but that didn’t change the result of not paying attention to the iceberg. He allows way too much contact for a closer. Dinks, dunks, doinks and solid shots, all requiring a fielder to make a play, usually a grounder, where an error can be made fielding or throwing. When you are in a one run lead in the 9th you don’t want your closer to allow anybody on base, because that immediately means the winning run is in the box. His kind of pitching means he often can essentially defeat the hitter, but the hitter makes such poor contact that he’ll get on base anyway due to the inability of a fielder to make the play…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 11:02 am

Rogers will continue to be in the mix to close regardless of what any of us think about the situation.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 11:54 am

Snarkk:
      Some of the greatest closers of all time were not big strikeout guys.
      Fingers? Quiz? Lyle?
      Just get 3 outs.
      Nothing wrong with using your defense.
      They all fail predictably with rare exceptions…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 11:59 am

The despicable Melonhead leads the league with 37 saves.
        He’s got 54 Ks in 60 innings – a joke by today’s standards.
        I know you don’t want him!

16. snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 11:07 am

Of all the candidates, I’d put Leone in there as closer, though he has been hit hard for fly outs lately — maybe he needs a day. I’m with Unca, I’d try Dovall as closer if the situation allows, such as a game with no mid-game crisis situation. Let him get the feel for it a time or two. He’s a risk to walk a guy, but his stuff is strike-em out stuff. Obviously Kappler has confidence in him, because he puts him into the mid-game high leverage crisis situations like last night to face the toughest batters, and he came out of it smelling like a rose…

17. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 11:17 am

Doval has upped his game since being sent down working on his control and it’s shown since coming up in his some great pressure situations.But once the playoffs come it will still be McGoo&Rodgers over the youngster, Kotter won’t let him immediately get thrown into playoff pressure unfortunately.Next year though he should be in the mix to close games out imo..

18. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 11:26 am

I honestly cannot think of one closer in Giants hist that didn’t make me nervous. Someone, Chi maybe, said something like this the other day, re: Wilson Romo Casilla. And I’d add Nen Beck Felix Rodriguez Brantley Moon Boy the awful Benitez Linzy yada yada.
    And yet, the Giants have the single best record in all of baseball after 6 months and 150 games–it’s not a fluke. Everyone outside the org has been waiting for shoe to drop and for them to collapse and fail. And it hasn’t happened.
    If you cannot enjoy the team and season they are having, I dunno what to say.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Enjoying the team is one thing, and this one is certainly enjoyable.
      But, it’s not perfect, no team is.
      If it were, then we’d have nothing to talk about here…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Well there’s always music videos and hamburger reviews…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:10 pm

And they’re almost all streaky as hell.
      I remember Benitez as a Met having stretches where God couldn’t make contact…

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:36 pm

Well, lotsa folks have said SF is Godless…

19. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 11:38 am

“All guys have some bit of fatigue right now.” Says Dave Roberts, after Urias and Buehler have given up 9 runs and 14 hits in 9 2/3 innings at Coors.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:13 pm

I think MLB should go back to 154 game season, then have expanded playoff where the play-in is a series, 2 outta 3, not the sudden death, or some version of that. MLB changed to the play-in to keep more teams involved in the race late in the season, and keep their fans interested and coming to games. It is ridiculous to go through all that, and have a play-in decided by one game, so that the fans of the other team who were biting nails for the last 1/4 of the season and spending time and money, don’t even get one stinking game in their own park. It will be a travesty to the Giants or LA when one of them has to play-in, and possibly lose that one game and be done after such a great season and division race…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Agree they should do that even with the 162 game schedule which they’ll never decrease due to all the lost revenue…

• willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:56 pm

expanded playoffs are where the $$$ is, especially for owners. 2 out of 3 in first WC round, OK. Adding additional couple teams in each league playoff could run into weather problems, unless season begins earlier, which of course could also mean weather problems.

20. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Did someone say hamburger reviews? There is a steak house in my home town in Oklahoma, Murphy’s, that my family went to as far back as I can remember as a child. And while they serve some excellent steaks and prime rib, their signature dish, and the one that people always come back for is the “Hot Hamburger,” but the way to order it is “gravy over all.” I refer to it as a heart attack on a platter.

It is a burger served open-faced on toast, covered with a mound of fries, and finished with their incredible brown gravy (made from the prime rib drippings). Fucking incredible.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Kinda / sorta like Poutine in Quebec, which has no meat, but with cheese and fries, slathered in beef gravy. Various permutations. Weirdly good to start, but not after the first few bites. Also a favorite of cardiologists’ bank accounts….

21. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:44 pm

You had me at gravy.

22. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:48 pm

How do you eat an open faced burger?
    Do you pick it up with 2 hands?
    Is there a way to close the face first?

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:55 pm

No to closing the face.

No on picking it up (well, not recommended).

You eat it with a knife and fork.

Fucking incredible…and I could give a fuck how much fat, carbs, and cholesterol there is in the damned thing (not like I eat it every damned day).

23. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Darin Ruf to10 day IL Oblique injury retroactive to September 20th so still time to add him to postseason roster.
    Dickerson recalled from Sacramento

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:55 pm

WTF is it with all these “obliques”?
      Is it the way the hitting coaches are instructing these guys to uppercut the swing?…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:06 pm

It’s frightening how sharp I am lately…

djloo27 said, on September 17, 2021 at 8:06 pm (Edit)

Ruf might have hurt himself on that swing…

24. snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 12:53 pm

When I was a kid, if I were traveling in the Valley with my father on 99 and passing Turlock, we HAD to stop in at Latif’s restaurant. Zum may know this place, he’s in the Valley somewhere.
    The only thing my father ever got was the Hot Beef plate (so I had to get it). Sorta thickly sliced decent roast beef, a huge dollop of mash slapped on the oval plate, with some kind of steamed or sauteed veggie. The beef and mash slathered with an ocean of beef gravy. I think it’s still there, which would be crazy after all these years. Last time I was there, maybe a decade or more ago just for old time sake, it kinda sucked. Pie was still good. The Hot Beef was not as good as I remembered, but, maybe it wasn’t so good back then, either — my father wasn’t exactly a fan of upscale cuisine…

25. snarkk said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:03 pm

Of the chain burgers, I will admit I think the In N Out double double animal style is a good burger for the price. Five Guys is way overpriced, not that great. I like Habit Burger. A little cheaper than Five Guys, and for my money a better tasting chain burger overall. Nations is pretty good too, each place does it a little different, but they’re good and fresh off the grill. Counter is really good, but its burgers are damn expensive might as well get a steak. But, nothing better than my own burger with 100% ground chuck, lean, prepared with my secret herbs/spices and a healthy dose of Worcestershire sauce and chopped red onion in the mix, then tossed onto my Texas charcoal grill…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:08 pm

That’s a helluva long toss, not to mention the accuracy needed.
      Major props!

26. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Rox score 3 off Scherzer who gave up 4 hits in second inning including 2 run single by SP Freeland, to tie game up 3-3 end of 2.

27. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Spider Man time!

28. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:23 pm

So sick of these dumbfuck announcers speculating on who the Giants (or anyone else) would start in a WC game as if the final games of the season and days of rest are not a factor…

29. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:25 pm

Kirks’s was the best burger hands down. Used to be in Sunnyvale. Big huge open grill, and sourdough buns. Awesome. Snarkk, your analysis is spot on. In-n-Out is a bit overrated, but it’ll do in a pinch. When my son worked for 5 guys, he would cook me one up when he came home. Really good. There’s a Mooyah’s in WC that is really really good. Great shakes as well.

Whenever I go to Tahoe, Ikeda’s applewood bacon cheeseburger is top-notch.

30. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:28 pm

Good gravy. WTF, Webby?

31. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:31 pm

0-2 no less. It obviously hit him.

32. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Webb has nothing.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:34 pm

Except a great double-hinged web on his Rawlings glove which I highly recommend.
      I don’t understand these gloves that have so much intricate lacing in the web.
      They look pretty, but it’s not practical…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:36 pm

BTW, I think I read that Rawlings is moving their whole operation to China.
        Great…

33. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:37 pm

Peter Parker is not-so-special today. Got to stop the bleeding now.

34. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:41 pm

That’ll just about take care of this one. Webb is sucking balls today. Horrible outing.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Maybe he doesn’t like the SD mound…

35. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Pull for the Rockies to somehow scrape one out.

36. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Wade should be on third…

37. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Yaz has good numbers vs. Darvish…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Told ya!

38. Bozo said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Got two of em back.

39. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:58 pm

40. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Fuck yeah! Yaz bomb to get half of em back!

41. Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 1:59 pm

There’s 2 back.

42. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Spud better get his shit together now…

43. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:06 pm

5-3 Rox up…

44. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:12 pm

He’s definitely not pitching a Webb gem.But that 11 pitch last inning is encouraging..

• Bozo said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Back on track.

45. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:18 pm

It fuckin hit him…

46. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Jesus. What the fuck are the idiots in New York looking at?

It hit him in the back of the hand. Fucking morons.

47. Bozo said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:29 pm

That’ll do it. Get some runs, Giants.

48. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Fucking Dicking around and ground into an inning ending DP.

49. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:03 pm

5-4 Rox.
    Mid 8th…

50. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:13 pm

Belt loves that low pitch. Darvish couldn’t get near plate with fastball, Belt was waiting for that one and nailed it.

51. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Fuckin KB flops again…

52. Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:17 pm

That’s a killer K by Bryant with this tough lefty coming in now.

53. Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:23 pm

Slater tater!

54. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:23 pm

Slater Tater! Fuck yes!

55. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:23 pm

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

56. Bozo said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:23 pm

He got enough of that one. Way to go Slater.

57. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:23 pm

SLATER!!!

58. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:23 pm

wow Kap strikes again.
    This time he hits for Wade and Slater rocks Earl Weaver special

59. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Take note, Bryant…

60. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:26 pm

“AUSTIN FUCKIN SLATER”
    FOR 100 💯

61. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:27 pm

2 down top 9 in Denver…

62. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Fucking Rockies closer had ’em down to 1 strike.

63. Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:34 pm

Fuck!

64. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:34 pm

Fucking Rockies

65. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:34 pm

3 straight singles and Dogs tie it up.

66. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Fuck! And bums just tied Rox….

• Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Yeah, that was quite the revolting sequence.

67. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:35 pm

And this meatball Quintana is still fucking in there why?

68. willedav said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Q can’t keep Kim in the park off his fastball? yikes

69. Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Double fuck!

70. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:36 pm

Of course the bullpen can’t hold it the lead!!
    Fuck Back to fucking Back!!!

71. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Extras in Nepal…

72. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Sorry, bottom 9th…

• Macdog said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:51 pm

Now it is.

73. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:40 pm

As usual to late Gabe WTF???

74. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:43 pm

Why is Quintana even on the roster? He sucks.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Because he doesn’t make any money…

75. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2021 at 3:54 pm