A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Buck The Dodgers

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 17, 2021

In keeping with my staring out the window and waiting for nothing pledge, here’s some non-sports related content for your viewing pleasure. I saw this big boy on my way home yesterday, sorry for the poor vid quality.

Today is the 32 year anniversary of the earthquake world series game. Where were you? I was in my first year at Lewis and Clark and I remember feeling guilty that I wasn’t home. California’s earthquake secret: we don’t have big ones near as often as people think. The last decent one I remember feeling was in high school at Paly. I was in the library and the lights were swinging back and forth. That was ’86. Since then I have felt maybe 3-4 and they were all small. We get lots of tiny ones but very few big ones.

1. willedav said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:12 am

oh that was bad. I was at work in whse when shelves and light fixtures started swinging. Drove by old roommates place in San jose and traffic lights were out. Many aftershocks that night but I was fortunate enough not to lose power, ever.

Some cities lot harder hit than others. We had store in Los Gatos and damage near downtown to houses and buildings was severe. Nothing comparable in my lifetime here on left coast suburbia.

2. willedav said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:15 am

Our company store in LG was in much smaller spot next door to present location on corner, which was Tex’s Toys. After the Big One, they moved out and our company took that spot and remain to this day.

3. willedav said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:52 am

MLBTR has had couple rundowns on FA OFs, both for corners and CF, very underwhelming–Bryant is at or near top for both.
    Saw a blogger comment that said unless you are looking for expensive SS and SPs, this isn’t a good season to be FA shopping.
    In other news, Moronta and Tauchman turned down Sac and opted to be FAs after SF cut them to get Belt and Watson onto 40 man.

4. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2021 at 10:17 am

I am not watching any of the NLCS. If the bums win, I just cannot stand to see them celebrate anything. But did check the score and was so happy to see Hotlanta walk it off on the bums. Go Braves!

Loma Prieta? I was sitting on my couch, had just got home (living in Sacramento at the time), cracked a cold one, and was settling in to watch my Giants against the A’s. The TV went squirrely, and black, and I felt a shake. Crazy.

The loss to the bums still stings, but again, I am SO HAPPY with the Giants season. None of us saw it coming and it was wonderful. Just ended a bit too quickly.

Looking forward to 2022!

Only 122 days until pitchers and catchers report.

5. Bozo said, on October 17, 2021 at 11:39 am

I was at the Stick, sitting in the upper boxes waiting for the game to start. I thought I would have to ride that seat down. The place fucking rocked, but she held.

6. mrsprtdude said, on October 17, 2021 at 12:05 pm

Sitting in a lazy-boy chair waiting for the game to start. A rerun of Rosanne was on. Couldn’t figure out why.
    My college room-mate and I both from WC. News broke in and the showed the famous footage of the car on the bay bridge drop to the lower level. Both of us had a WTF moment, and then took turns calling our parent to make sure they were ok. A Never forget moment

7. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 2:29 pm

People always say everything feels like it just happened yesterday.
    To me they feel like 500 years ago…

8. Winder said, on October 17, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Walking in my father in laws living room. The floor was swimming.

9. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Does anyone here have any quick insights into choosing between a free Medicare Advantage Plan or taking regular Medicare and adding a supplemental (Medigap) policy for a couple hundred a month plus a drug plan (Part D)? Comparing these things can drive the average moron crazy.

I was advised by an expert in the field to get a Medigap policy N. The main thing he said that stuck with me is that if a company is giving you something for free isn’t it likely that it ultimately sucks? What company gives you anything for free? Yet it seems like most 65 year olds in decent shape and without much money (like me) are going with the free M.A. plans.

Any advice?
    Appeciate it…

Loo-Loo

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2021 at 5:51 pm

not my area. But I bet there are some guys here who have an opinion on this

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 5:56 pm

It’s way over my friggin’ head…

10. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:29 pm

Loo, I’m new to this as well (turned 65 in July). I didn’t really want to accept Medicare since I’m “over here” and can’t use it, but some friends suggested I just take the basic thing and accept the deduction from Social Security, which is not a small deduction every month for someone like me who needs every dollar… especially for something I don’t even use. But, the friends raised the scenario that I might end up back in the US at some point and would need Medicare, plus not accepting it had its penalties, etc. I just looked at the “open enrollment” options and gave up after 10 minutes. Don’t know anything about the free M.A. plans.

Funnily enough, when I worked as communications manager for human resources at good ol’ Stanford (my last job in the US before moving to Asia in ’04), I had to write about this stuff for the thousands of Stanford retirees in the community, and even gave little seminars to the old folks to explain it. I look at it now, and I don’t remember…. one… thing… about all that. Yeah, 500 years ago, when it was really only 20 …… Good luck!

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:42 pm

Thank you, Paul. It just baffles me. Even the comparison tools are tricky and ambiguous to me.
      A person can go from completely healthy to their deathbed at any moment. From no drugs to chemo.
      Does it even matter? How is anyone supposed to know what to do?
      You can change – but then maybe you can’t change.
      I think it’s all a guessing game, but I’m just trying to get some opinions.
      Thanks again…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:46 pm

I feel your pain. The medical insurance situation in the US, even the “socialized” gov’t stuff, is severely fucked up. Not sure how anyone can tackle the issue and fix it. Too much money and power in the industry.

11. Macdog said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:41 pm

Wow, this is suckage: Freeman has struck out in all 7 of his ABs in the NLCS.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:44 pm

Kinda reminding me of Pat the No Bat Burrell in the 2010 series. K after K after K, painful to watch, really…

• Macdog said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:50 pm

Yeah, I remember Burrell struggling, what’d he have, 1 hit the entire WS?

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Renteria bailed him out after Huff’s first and only career sac bunt…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 17, 2021 at 7:13 pm

John, I had remembered Burrell having a poor Series, but it took recently watching one of those sped-up highlights of the whole series to really remember. The look on his face after each strike out just so sadly illustrated that he was done, all caps.

12. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 6:58 pm

MVP Cepeda went 3 for 29 vs. Bosox in ’67 WS…

13. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 17, 2021 at 7:10 pm

Loo, with the insurance stuff… somehow, you just gotta keep it as simple as possible. Basic coverage, etc. Unless you have a friend who loves navigating the maze of options. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a Flapper who’s knowledgeable about this stuff.

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 7:12 pm

I’m very hung up on that something for nothing concept…

14. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2021 at 7:35 pm

Fuck. Picked the wrong time to switch off the Seattle game. Heredia blew a bases loaded doink from Taylor and 2 rusn score.

Christ.. Chris Taylor gives ET McGee a run for his money.

15. mrsprtdude said, on October 17, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Loo the free policies are ok. My dad had one. I’m not advocating them, but for info…..The insurances companies get paid by medicare to take over your care. They are obligated by the same rules that govern the regular policies. That means they will be no better or worse than if have hmo coverage before you are 65. It will act like a regular HMO (because it is one) and if finances are an issue, save you some money. If you do the Medicare plus medigap you have some more freedom to choose your doctor, but pay more, similar to choosing a PPO vs an HMO before 65.

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:06 pm

That’s a huge help, Sportsdude.
      Thank you for taking the time and trouble…

16. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:26 pm

Bravos tied it? 2 9th inning walk-offs in a row would be pretty cool.

17. willedav said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:29 pm

Loo make sure you have dental or vision (if you need it) in Med Advantage plan as an option. I lost dental coverage during pandemic and my dentist demanded x rays before he’d even have hygienist do regular 6 month cleaning–which was gonna cost me $300 for cleaning and x rays. When I balked at x rays he said no cleaning. Adios.

Nothing wrong with quality of free plan though, as long as you can get to whomever is MD. Friend of mine has one and loves it.

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Thanks, Willedav.
      Appreciate the help.
      I only have 23 teeth left…

18. Macdog said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Hey, the Braves walk-off Game 2!

19. Giant Head said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:39 pm

Haha suck it Flodger Fans. There is Joy in Hotlanta for Giants fans!!!

20. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2021 at 8:42 pm