A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Up Against It

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 8, 2022

Just because the Niners *have* to win doesn’t mean anything except to a narrative. If they are going to have to trot out Mosley and Norman as the #1 corners, man, I just don’t see how they win this game. And then Four Fingered Jimmy is gonna have to try to keep up with Stafford? Again, this looks imposing, at best. If I were a man who gambles against his own team (um, I guess I do that when the time is right but not in a game this big) I’d probably hammer the Rams -4.5.

1. willedav said, on January 8, 2022 at 8:34 am

And yet, ownage be ownage.

2. willedav said, on January 8, 2022 at 8:41 am

“Giants need a RH bat” is lead story at MLBTR. Not great substance either in column or blogger comments, but interesting nonetheless. Would they upgrade 2b or just go with Estrada behind underwhelming LaStella? Or just handle RH bat within system/dumpster dive.
    One guy mentions making Bart available in trade, another thinks he can provide RH HR pop. Dunno what FO thinks about him but do believe just because he isn’t the next Posey doesn’t mean he can’t be solid player. Catchers behind him at lower levels nothing outstanding yet either.

• Macdog said, on January 8, 2022 at 9:46 am

Pavs had story on Bart a couple days ago, mostly looking at other young catchers in MLB by way of comparison.

• djloo27 said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:37 am

It’s clearly sink or swim time for our homerless wonder boy…

• Giant Head said, on January 9, 2022 at 8:00 am

Completely agree. Live or die with Bart to see if he can be a true big leaguer. Why I have thought for a couple of months since Posey’s announcement that they won’t sign any big free agent bats…

• willedav said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:47 am

mm thanks Mac. Not unrealistic to think he can add some pop even if OB/BA not very high. Good point too about his work behind plate being more valuable in long run and added benefit of being around Casali if that’s who man Catching for SF.

3. Winder said, on January 8, 2022 at 9:15 am

It’s a shame that after a fantastic year we got shut down on making deals with the lockout. There are probably only a handful of people who actually know what our strategy is. I guess we still have Casali who had a pretty good year behind the plate. I think we pick up vet before the season starts. I kinda like the way Z dumpster dives but I think we spend some money on the outfield . I don’t think the FO is against paying the big bucks but the years of service probably dictates who we get or not. I kind of thought there would have been some movement on the lockout by now.

4. Winder said, on January 8, 2022 at 9:17 am

I just hope we can get some of our defense back for the Ram game. You couldn’t ask for a more meaningful game at this time of year than the one on Sunday. Just as long as we don’t shoot our selves in the foot this one is wide open. We have played well in LA.

5. willedav said, on January 8, 2022 at 9:38 am

Chron quotes Kittle as saying, “Whenever we play them, we try to come out and try to be physical as we possibly can. That’s what we’re really good at.”

6. djloo27 said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:14 am

For the Montana fanatics…

7. Giant Head said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:27 am

All leading up to some bad karma heading into the game tomorrow.

8. Giant Head said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:28 am

But then there is this…

• snarkk said, on January 8, 2022 at 11:17 am

Super 70s Sports is goddam GOLD.
      Whenever I go on there I always laugh out loud at least once…

9. djloo27 said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:34 am

Great!

10. alleykat69 said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:42 am

Not that I want the 49ers to back into the playoffs, but it’s not a totally “Have win if the Saints lose their in”
    I expect some of the DB’s will be back for this game and Norman will be benched more then play, he’s just too much of a liability with his lead league 7 pass interference penalties against him..

Who’s the clown that said Bart will add RH power and HR pop?
    Last I’ve looked he still doesn’t have a HR in a Giants uniform at Oracle are on the road?

• willedav said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:51 am

Oh Kat, lighten up bro and turn your calendar over. It’s 2022!

• willedav said, on January 8, 2022 at 10:55 am

And Bart’s only 2 behind Jaylin Davis.

11. snarkk said, on January 8, 2022 at 12:02 pm

This one I’m sure some of you guys experienced yourself as a kid. I certainly did.
    It had me rolling on the floor, LMAO…

12. snarkk said, on January 8, 2022 at 12:18 pm

Damn straight.

• willedav said, on January 8, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Funny thread, great pic!

13. unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Niners get Jimmie Ward, KWon Williams, and D Johnson back from the COVID list. As long as Norman is off the field, I’m fine.

No word on Thomas yet. He has improved dramatically.

• snarkk said, on January 8, 2022 at 5:09 pm

If he has actually started to look for the ball before it hits the WR’s hands, that will be a dramatic improvement.
      How about Greenlaw — will he be back from the groin? He’s basically missed the entire season…

• unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Limited practice. Game time decision. Thomas is off the COVID list as well.

Very good news.

Niners win 30-21.

14. xoot said, on January 8, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Anyone else notice that Raheem Mostert’s three-year-old son was rushed to the ER the other day with covid? Back home now, I guess. Good luck to the surfer’s son.

15. Giant Head said, on January 9, 2022 at 7:57 am

The decision to start Garappolo also may be a sign of not trusting Trey which is a little disconcerting that they don’t have faith in him. I wanted to see how Trey started and then sub in Jimmy of things were not going Niners way. If things start poorly for Niners and Jimmy G and then being forced to shove a rookie in under that pressure to come to save the day will blow up in their faces. Type of decision that costs head coaches their jobs.

16. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2022 at 8:25 am

SHanahan is an idiot. That;s all there is to this.