A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Russless In Seattle

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 9, 2022

Let me be crystal clear about something: I hate that motherfucker Russell Wilson. I think he’s the fakest of hustle. I hate that he turns on a literal cloaking device every time a Niner is about to sack his dumb ass. And I was beyond tired of him beating SF all the time.

I was looking foward to us turning the tables on him as he ages into irrelevance but the Broncos took that small joy away from me by woefully overpaying for a dude in the twilight of his career.

But Seattle is much weaker today. At least until the draft but frankly their draft picks have stunk for many years so maybe they’ve just turned to shit and that’s that.

1. Giant Head said, on March 9, 2022 at 6:18 am

Really smarty savvy deal by Seattle…talked a few weeks ago about NFL expansion as they were negotiating with St. Louis on a settlement and that does not seem imminent but Bill Simmons reported he is hearing about NBA expansion. Quick way for owners to split $200-$300 mill each to make up for covid losses and that Vegas gets one of the teams and it is given to Lebron to be the operating owner (shows ownership diversity however shallow that is) and Seattle should be the other team to revive the Sueprsonics.

2. Giant Head said, on March 9, 2022 at 6:26 am

At

3. Giant Head said, on March 9, 2022 at 6:36 am

Thoughts from the Flap also about mlb players and owners allegedly agreeing to 12 team playoffs vs 14 team. Does this mean no one game wild card games? Players had crazy idea that the division winner and best wild card team get an auto first win (I guess these would be three game series) and then if they win the second game (first played) they win the series. If they lose Game Three would be on the road to the lesser team’s stadium. Fortunately that was rejected by the owners.

4. Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 6:50 am

5. willedav said, on March 9, 2022 at 6:52 am

Gonzaga men and women won WCC. I can see them as legit #1 seed, but I do think it’s also legit to knock the conference they are in as not as challenging as Big 10 SEC etc. T Kornheiser yesterday said he bets against them every single year and hasn’t been wrong yet.
    Btw Davante Adams and Russell Wilson highlights on yesterday, Niners were in both. Gad, Wilson just torched whatever D Niners threw at him, especially late game.

6. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 7:08 am

Sounds like there’s a good amount of optimism that they’re gonna get something done real soon on the baseball front…

7. Bozo said, on March 9, 2022 at 7:20 am

Late for yesterday’s thread. I don’t agree that bigger bases will equal more stolen bases. SB totals from last year compared to the year 2000 were 711 less steals and 1,323 less attempts using the same size base. I have to think less hits (5,762) and walks (2,443) coupled with managers not sending guys, has more to do with that stat than the size of the bases.
    Maybe MLB really wants to have more GDPs to give Cabrera a chance to overtake Pujols as the all-time leader in that category.
    Also, managers are not using the sacrifice bunt as much anymore, which for better or worse, will almost surely disappear with the universal DH.

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 7:36 am

the bigger base will encourage more attempts. Whether they will be successful or not, we’ll see. But with 2nd and 3rd a couple inches closer, when guys are getting thrown out usually in bang bang fashion, that’ll definitely get managers/players to risk it.

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2022 at 8:23 am

Maybe so, I’m just not sure how much it’ll change the statistical advantage. The success rate last year was pretty high (only 711 caught stealing), so statistically they were running at the right time.
        Still, the base size isn’t the reason there were about 1,000 less stolen bases last year as compared to just 2012, I’m thinking the shifts were more of an issue on this, the SS standing on 2B probably made a better target for the catcher statistical wise. So that rule change may add more SBs, but I’m thinking the larger base will just add more double plays.

8. Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 7:40 am

9. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 7:57 am

In order to completely flush my life down the toilet, I’m close to signing up with one of the sports books here.
    Can’t really tell if there’s much difference between them.
    Any suggestions?
    They’re all kind of vague about live streaming of games.
    I doubt they would stream NY Ranger games here in NY or undercut the NFL in any way.
    Is it extra dumb to link to a bank account?
    Thanks for any input…

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 8:00 am

we can’t do that in Ca so I have no opinion. I’d always link to a bank acct, not a cc—built in safe guard

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 8:09 am

Thanks Flavor.
        Nice thread title, BTW.
        I’ll be sure to greet Umberto when he gets here…

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 8:18 am

get in on him before your NY crowd figures out he can ride on turf

10. Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 8:01 am

Russ 17-4 vs the Niners. Man, FUCK that guy and I am so bummed we don’t get the chance to start pummeling him in his old age.

• alleykat69 said, on March 9, 2022 at 10:20 am

Oh we don’t have to wait long to pummel Wilson, Broncos are on the 49ers schedule along with every other AFC West team this year..It would be great to kick his ass and start a new tradition of beating him.

11. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 8:16 am

Seahawks: The dynasty that wasn’t
    Chiefs: The dynasty that won’t be

Guarantee this is Andy’s last season – win or lose.
    He’ll step down for health reasons…

• willedav said, on March 9, 2022 at 8:28 am

Rodgers iirc only has 1 SB win. I’d be really surprised Mahomes doesn’t outdo that at the least.
      Maybe Bienemy would take over; wonder if something was said when he agreed to return, with HC jobs still open.
      I still dislike Seattle and Pete quite a lot and hope SF can pound them, with or without Wilson.

Meant to ask Mac about story I read on cbs site that said NY Giants having interest in bringing in Mitch Trubisky (who played for coach in Buffalo) to back up/compete with Jones. How would that make you feel?

• Macdog said, on March 9, 2022 at 9:22 am

They need someone as backup when Jones inevitably gets hurt, Trubisky is probably best they can do given they’re in salary cap hell. Yeah, it’s not easy winning two Super Bowls, Rodgers and Wilson still stuck at one, Brees another with one before retiring. Maybe Mahomes gets another, he’s also up against a few good young QBs in AFC and now Wilson in his division.

Saw the Zags last night, I guess they deserve to be #1. And it’s wide open again this year. But after last year, when it looked like they had the team to finally win it all and got blown out by Baylor in the final, I’m not getting fooled by them again.

• willedav said, on March 9, 2022 at 10:14 am

Mac I was surprised SMC held Zags bigs down as well as they did. Um lot better and more athletic posts (like Tshiebwe and Cockburn) will be around in Tourney.

12. Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 9:23 am

lol

• chipower9 said, on March 10, 2022 at 6:32 am

LMAO…

13. Macdog said, on March 9, 2022 at 9:28 am

Here ya go, Loo:

14. Macdog said, on March 9, 2022 at 11:39 am

Colts trade Wentz to Washington, another possible Jimmy G landing spot gone?

15. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2022 at 11:42 am

Wentz to Washington. Indy needs a Jimmy.

• unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2022 at 11:43 am

Hah! Didn’t see your post, Mac. I think jimmy goes to Seattle.
      Kidding

• Macdog said, on March 9, 2022 at 11:44 am

Ha, right, just dawned on me.

16. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2022 at 11:54 am

Elway pulling his usual “hope-to-get-1-2-good-years-out-of-a-successful-QB-before-they-buy-the-farm” approach.

I think it is karma for not signing Kaepernick back in the day. Still wonder what woulda happened. If they could win it all with a fairly ineffective Peyton .. . ..

• unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2022 at 12:09 pm

Here’s the list of starters in the Elway era. Ouch.

Kyle Orton
      Drew Lock
      Jeff Driskel
      Brett Rypien

Kendall Hinton

Teddy Bridgewater

17. willedav said, on March 9, 2022 at 12:52 pm

Bobby Hurley always fun to watch. Stands there on sideline in long sleeve white shirt and tie, then starts waving his arms and blowing up at ref. His Sun Devils have won 7 of last 8 so he’s doing something right. Lead Cardinal by 4 at half 31-27.

18. willedav said, on March 9, 2022 at 2:12 pm

Whoa James Keefe picks up loose ball in lane and banks in game wiñner for Stanford at buzzer for 71-70 W. They ended game on 15-1 run and trailed by as many as 17 in second half. Get top seed Zona tomorrow. 26 for Spencer Jones.

19. Winder said, on March 9, 2022 at 2:28 pm

My hope is that Seattle languishes in last place for years to come. But Wilson will definitely make the AFC West one of the toughest in the league.

20. alleykat69 said, on March 9, 2022 at 4:17 pm

2 more regular season rounds of Baseball Games canceled.
    Now Opening Day Postponed Until At Least April 14!
    I’m going back into Hibernation with Yogi&Boo Boo 😒

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:17 pm

As Chi pulls down the window shade…

21. Giant Head said, on March 9, 2022 at 4:36 pm

Loo I am a Fan Duel person and I usually just use PayPal for my deposits. I like the extra layer between that and my bank account and have had winnings easily deposited through PayPal.

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:16 pm

22. Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:17 pm

i’ve said for months I think Jimmy is going to be a Steeler.

23. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:25 pm

Today I was wondering this:
    What if the NBA game was always played the way it is today, then they decided to take away the 3 point line and the game reverted to the way we remember it years ago. In other words, everything just evolving in the reverse way that it really did.
    Would there be big complaints?

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:36 pm

i like the 3 point game. Reverting back to a bunch of lay ups and mid range jumpers would bum me out.

• willedav said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:38 pm

I just finished book on Knicks of the ’90s, with details on Riley (psycho imo) era that prompted NBA rules changes. HS coaches resisted shot clocks (more so for boys) for long time. I think changes will continue to happen and make game more like Int’l version–wider lane, different rule about breakaway fouls, and maybe 3 pt line gets moved back. Players will always adjust, no?
      I’d also anticipate a change to one and done rules too for college guys.

• unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:42 pm

Breakaway fouls really do need to be changed. The Warriors get burned on this a lot.

Maybe they will adopt prison rims. They are all 11′ high, so inmates don’t fuck with them.

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 7:15 pm

I love chain nets…

24. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:32 pm

It’s actually possible that the Giants could open the season in NY.
    Couldn’t pass that up.
    I think one season in the 60’s (10 team league), the Mets opened the season at Candlestick…

25. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2022 at 5:44 pm

Thinking about the 3 point line you have to wonder how the old shooters of the day would have fared. A guy like Rick Barry would have a shit ton more points.

How about the mid court line being the 4 point line?

26. paul sorensen said, on March 9, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Doesn’t really bother me that the season will begin late, although I guess that means it might run a little longer than usual, which is already too long. And as much as spring training also seems too long, that’s what I’m missing now, in March: a steady quiet news flow of happenings on the diamonds in the desert, stories of youngsters (or oldsters) grasping for their chance in the springtime. When I lived in wintry climes, this was critical to establishing some post-winter sanity. Living in the tropics now, it’s not so pronounced, but still missing it. These guys need to get it together for the sake of the game.

27. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Seems like few jobs are won or lost in pre-season anymore.
    Been this way for years and not just in baseball.
    Maybe guaranteed contracts are the reason.
    Players work out all year round and with SPs going so few innings, it’s less meaningful than ever.
    Two weeks is plenty…

28. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 9:48 pm

The Mavericks missed their first 19 attempts from 3 point range earlier tonight.
    They finally made one with a few seconds left in the first half…

29. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Excited and anxious
    I await my dream
    To escape, applaud
    And embrace my team
    Opening day I always can trust
    It’s just for this high
    That I crazily lust
    Return of our hero
    Does brighten the days
    Just briefly, my troubles
    Get lost in the haze

• paul sorensen said, on March 9, 2022 at 10:29 pm

You’re up late….

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Twelve hours of work and I still can’t sleep.
        Damn. Days go on and on.
        They don’t end…

• paul sorensen said, on March 9, 2022 at 11:01 pm

I feel your pain. The only way I can get to sleep when I otherwise can’t sleep is to tell myself that indeed, the days never end and it doesn’t even matter anymore….

• chipower9 said, on March 10, 2022 at 7:03 am

Very cool. Thanks for sharing, Loo.

30. Flavor said, on March 10, 2022 at 5:45 am

Goddamn you guys were posting some dark and lonely shit last night. It sounds like things are trending towards resolving this. I’m with Paul, I don’t really care that the season starts late. Shit, remember 2020? That sucked.

31. willedav said, on March 10, 2022 at 7:03 am

Vid I saw of Coach Boeheim defending his kid for punching an opponent in stomach was flat out disgusting. LaPhonso Ellis and Seth Greenberg on ESPN both disagreed emphatically and said he (Buddy) should have gotten Flagrant 2 and been ejected. Has been given one game suspension.

32. willedav said, on March 10, 2022 at 8:06 am

Speaking of being up late, I noticed on cbs site there are 3 Tourney games in East—MAAC in Atlantic City, Big East in NYC and ACC in Brooklyn–scheduled to start at 6:30 left coast time. yikes why do that?

33. Flavor said, on March 10, 2022 at 8:42 am

• Winder said, on March 10, 2022 at 10:39 am

Think I have seen Mays make that play at least 100 times. Mays used to routinely beat the left fielder to his own position. That was basket catch beauty.

34. Flavor said, on March 10, 2022 at 9:16 am

Kokonuts bringing his A game here

35. snarkk said, on March 10, 2022 at 10:50 am

Word is the new CBA will restrict to 5 per season the option round trips of minor leaguers to the Big Clubs. That has a chance to somewhat crimp ZMan’s operating style…

36. Bozo said, on March 10, 2022 at 11:42 am

I think I’m becoming addicted to sports tape. Who knew tequila and ibuprofen wasn’t the only way to lessen back/shoulder pain?

• djloo27 said, on March 10, 2022 at 11:55 am

This stuff ain’t bad.
      I like the roll on more than the patches…

• Bozo said, on March 10, 2022 at 12:39 pm

I’m kinda blown away by it, Loo. Not just shoulder and back stuff either, I just started using it around a thumb that I broke years ago that would get really painful when I played the drums, and it seems to help that. I can kind of see now how Jimmy G could grip a football.
        I don’t really understand how it works, but I may have to buy stock in this stuff.

37. djloo27 said, on March 10, 2022 at 12:30 pm

Deal done!

38. Giant Head said, on March 10, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Good news they have a deal!!!

39. Winder said, on March 10, 2022 at 12:44 pm

Fantastic. Yay

40. Giant Head said, on March 10, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Do we now get the Japanese third baseman/OF???

41. chipower9 said, on March 10, 2022 at 12:56 pm

Halle-Fucking-Lujah! Play Ball!

I was getting really tired of looking out of my window….

42. Giant Head said, on March 10, 2022 at 1:11 pm

If bball was to revert backwards then we would also have no shot clock and just teams packing in a zone and slowing the game to unwatchable levels. There is too much 3 pt shooting now but that does open the floor for more open offense. Teams just rely on the 3 too much.

43. Giant Head said, on March 10, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Interesting part of the deal seems that rule changes like size of the bag pitch clock defensive shifts robo ump will be put off until ‘23 with a planned committee with player representation and one ump representative.

44. willedav said, on March 10, 2022 at 2:24 pm

wow Stanford put up 80 points and hella fight in losing to Arizona by only 4 in game they led going into final 4 minutes. 28 points 4 x 3s 8 boards for junior F Spencer Jones. Cards hit 11/20 from 3 today. yesterday they were 7/24 and the guys other than Jones were 1-12. Made Zona work on D all game, solid effort from J Haase and his boys.

45. zumiee said, on March 10, 2022 at 2:27 pm

“I was getting really tired of looking out of my window….”

lulz!

46. zumiee said, on March 10, 2022 at 2:30 pm

I recently watched a highlight show of the Lakers in the 1980s (not the new mini-series.) I just prefer that style of basketball. Heck, the Lakers’ Showtime fastbreak nowadays would be stopped all the time by intentional fouls.

• James said, on March 10, 2022 at 6:43 pm

You mean they weren’t smart enough to foul back in the 80s?

47. Macdog said, on March 10, 2022 at 2:35 pm

Giants are opening at home! April 8 vs. Marlins.

• djloo27 said, on March 10, 2022 at 3:18 pm

I think there’s a chance it doesn’t sell out…

48. djloo27 said, on March 10, 2022 at 2:37 pm

Over under on poles smoked during this event?

49. mrsprtdude said, on March 10, 2022 at 2:41 pm

Well if this is the last year of the flap at least we get a full season of baseball…YAY!!

50. Giant Head said, on March 10, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Preliminary word seems like they got rid of the one game wild card series for three game sets. Much much better.

• willedav said, on March 10, 2022 at 6:20 pm

Mo money.

51. Flavor said, on March 10, 2022 at 6:40 pm

• djloo27 said, on March 10, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Kids and animals tear my heart out.
      People, eh……

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2022 at 6:10 am

with you. I could never work at a vet ER. all day long, Jesus…..

52. willedav said, on March 10, 2022 at 7:56 pm

Part of the agreement has Union dropping suit against 4 clubs which will allow John Fisher and A’s to resume collecting revenue sharing.

• xoot said, on March 10, 2022 at 8:38 pm

I think it was just a grievance mlbpa filed with mlb that they agreed to dismiss, not a lawsuit; and I think the last CBA provided for the a’s revenue- sharing amounts to diminish annually to zero last year anyway. The old CBAs all used to say the Bay Area is a major market, so the a’s should not need revenue sharing, but we’ll carve it out for them until they get a new stadium. I think the new CBA returns to that approach.

Personally, I now believe the Bay Area cannot support two mlb or nfl teams. viva la’s vega’s?

53. willedav said, on March 10, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Looks like little girl in Denver going home happy tonight.