A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Taking Care of Business Against the Worst

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 12, 2022

I just looked at the Rockies record. How in God’s name are they over .500? They’re terrible in every facet of the game.

Nice to see Bart have an RBI single. He doesn’t have to be Posey but if he can bang an RBI single every now and again that might be enough.

Got our 3 best lined up in St. Louis.

1. willedav said, on May 12, 2022 at 8:27 am

Slid over to Dogs page in Athletic–more talk about humidor/ball not carrying etc. They have bunch of guys not hitting well either, including J Turner Muncy Bellinger. 9th NL for HRs, yet 3rd in runs scored, like Giants

What sets them apart so far has been pitching. They are tops in ERA and runs against by full run over Giants Cards and Mets and second to Giants for fewest bombs allowed.
    Pirates scored off 3 of their relievers yesterday and pinned L on Daniel Hudson to take 2 of 3 from them.

2. willedav said, on May 12, 2022 at 8:44 am

Didn’t watch much of GS game as they were routinely awful. Weirdest thing about semi playoffs so far is how different games have been in all series. Each of the 8 teams has had games where they have taken over, and then next time out they fell apart. Each one is 3-2 without clear edge to anyone.

• djloo27 said, on May 12, 2022 at 8:53 am

Some “experts” are saying the Grizzlies are better without Ja.
      I would say that is highly unlikely.
      Is the Flap better without Twin?
      Subjective, but I have to say no way…

• unca_chuck said, on May 12, 2022 at 9:02 am

Well, they defend better. But a lot of the difference is Jenkins putting in Adams. They rebound and defend the paint much better with Adams. But he and Ja don’t play well together.

• Macdog said, on May 12, 2022 at 9:02 am

Grizz had a very good record without Ja during the regular season.

• Macdog said, on May 12, 2022 at 9:07 am

20-5 sans Ja in regular season. At one point Grizz were 20-2, but lost last three Ja-less games in April: at Utah, at Denver, at Boston.

• zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 11:55 am

I’m pretty sure accountability for derogatory comments from Conservatives officially died when Trump got away with criticizing McCain for being captured during the Vietnam War, and also when Trump got away with the Access Hollywood comments. And I’m not trying to be flippant; I really believe something changed in the public discourse after that.

• zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 11:58 am

I really thought Trump’s campaign was over when he made the McCain comment. I ended up looking foolish for thinking that. Clearly the game had changed.

• zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 12:02 pm

There’s a lot I wouldn’t claim to understand anymore. That’s why I like reading history. It somehow calms me.
        A summer of reading and baseball is great stuff.

• zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 12:06 pm

I’m currently listening to the audiobook of Cloud Cuckoo Land, by Anthony Doerr. It’s a really interesting novel set in several different eras, from the Ancient Greeks, to medieval Constantinople, to modern day Idaho, to a spaceship in the far future. A really ambitious novel, and he pulls it off well.
        He won a Pulitzer for his amazing novel All The Light We Cannot See, set in France during WWII.

• djloo27 said, on May 12, 2022 at 2:47 pm

Zum, if someone asks you if you read Cloud Cuckoo Land are you allowed to say yes or do you have to fess up and say you listened to it?

3. willedav said, on May 12, 2022 at 11:24 am

Rich Strike not entering Preakness.

4. Macdog said, on May 12, 2022 at 12:24 pm

• willedav said, on May 12, 2022 at 2:20 pm

Ha one of the replies SFGiantsNick revisits Vogs, as in Beede going to Pirates then Japan figuring things out and coming back to SF.
      idk about that but no comp btw Mrs. Beede and Mrs. Vogs.

5. zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Loo, I always tell people when it’s an audiobook, mainly because I’m such a big fan of audiobooks. It’s wonderful to be read to. It’s very comforting, like comfort food.

6. zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Some other audiobooks I’ve recently liked a lot:
    Philip Norman’s Paul McCartney biography.
    Erik Larson’s “The Splendid and the Vile,” about Churchill and England during the Nazi Blitz attack on England.
    An Isabelle Allende novel whose title escapes me at the moment.
    A Barbara Kingsolver novel whose title escapes me at the moment.

• zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Kingsolver: Unsheltered
      Allende: In the Midst of Winter

• willedav said, on May 13, 2022 at 6:37 am

Enjoyed most everything Isabel Allende has written. Latest is “Violeta”, on waiting list at library. Think she lives in Marin these days. In great college history seminar class we studied Chile one semester and read number of books on it, post Allende presidency. All too rare nation of South America that had always had peaceful elections and transfer of power until Pinochet.

7. zumiee said, on May 12, 2022 at 8:55 pm

I’m watching the Yankee/White Sox game, and that Yankee lineup is insane.
    On a side note, they roughed up Joe Kelly. There are ex-Dodgers all over the place in MLB. Grandal is the Sox catcher.

8. willedav said, on May 13, 2022 at 6:47 am

Giants just signed ex Dodgers LH reliever Scott Alexander, mostly to replace injured and ineffective ex Dodgers LH reliever McGee. Currently they only have Garcia and Alvarez as LH pen guys after sending Long back to Sac.