A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Return of Vungo!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 13, 2012

Though I believe he’s not the same guy he was in 2010, I love this move. He’ll be fine to spell El Caballo Loco and insurance if The White Shark takes a step back or gets injured. I also think he’ll have a better chance to manage his chronic leg problems if he isn’t playing everyday….

Now, when the Dodgers release Jose Uribe and he (hopefully) gets back in shape I would endorse signing him, too.

2010, meet 2012 and join together to form a greater 2013.

I can’t wait to see the world series ring design and post it next to the one that is currently up there…..

1. willedav said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:12 am

Can’t hurt, and maybe comfort zone of ATT gets him back into the groove. I always thought Ryan Sweeney would make a good Giant (good D, decent OB and avg during his Oakland years) but he is a lefty/lefty like Blanco.
    Man, I’d add *extended playoffs* to yesterday’s thread..cbs has a headline about Goodell talking of adding more teams. Ugh. More crummy teams playing more games; hope players realize this is not good for anyone except bean counters and the guys that hire them.

2. willedav said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:17 am

Blade I’d say Flav is right about Barnes in re minutes and points, but the guy taking his PT away is actually Jack. Ws have been going to 3 guard LU with Jack in there at the end of games (and playing point basically) with Curry and Thompson instead of Barnes as shooters. I do like Barnes a lot but probably not good for FL..
    Jack has moved around some and this could backfire, but not in immediate future I’d guess.

3. paulinasia said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

Wow, Craig, gotta get up pretty early in the morning (US) or stay up pretty late overseas to beat you with any news… It’s about 8am on Thur. in SF, as far as I can tell, being 11pm here, but.. huh? I have looked at most major news sources and have seen nothing on this….. do tell… But if so, actually, Torres maybe kinda fits in well with something I was going to say, which I’ve said here numerous times before, about the “team” aspect of the Giants, since he was such an important part of the 2010 team. In case you hadn’t seen it, Passan (who I usually think is a fucking idiot) said this:

“Throughout October, the San Francisco Giants spun the same Lazy Susan of explanations about their improbable run to another championship, and every reason had little to no quantifiability. In a game that has grown to put value on just about everything a player can do, the Giants relied on tropes that exist only in clubhouses and are often ignored for their intangibility outside: having a team of winners, and having good chemistry, and having the right culture, and having a positive feeling.” He said that as a way of explaining the Royals sticking with Franceour (I have no idea how to spell his name) in RF when they traded away whoever their prospect was, whatever. He then compared Franceuor with Pence, and said this:

“There is no way the San Francisco Giants would have won a World Series without Hunter Pence.”

Ok… “tropes”? WTF. He is an idiot. But, interesting posits from a guy who shits on the Giants whenever he gets a chance. He’s actually quite possibly right about Pence’s role in rallying the team in the NLDS “intangibly”, a concept that most stats guys hate. Uh, I’ll look for more news on Torres in the morning…. πŸ™‚

4. Bozo said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:22 am

2 mil to see if he can hang. That’s not a bad move at all.
    Did the Dodgers cut ties with Juan Uribe? I thought he had another year or two on his contract.

5. chipower9 said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:28 am

I like this move a lot! As Craig mentions, he can spell both Pagan and Blanco. And agree that not playing every day (or having that expectation), he can potentially get his legs back.

Here is the piece from Hank…

6. Irish Kevin said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:29 am

Good pick up, give Blanco a rest, or if he ends up not being able to hit lefties, platoon. also Torres will be good off the bench. Switch hitter, gives the B man lots of options.

7. chipower9 said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

Uribe is signed throught this year by the Bums at 7 mil, and has another mil coming in 2014.

8. paulinasia said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:33 am

Thanks for the link, Chi, for some reason, I wasn’t getting that here….

9. paulinasia said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:33 am

Referring to my 8:18, that is….

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

Whatever the feck you want, Mr. Sabean. The return of Vungo? Sprinkle some magic on him. We’re good. I love it, “2010, meet 2012 and join together to form a greater 2013.” And, yeah, maybe we need Uribe to up the dominoes factor in the clubhouse. (But I think Renteria is running for president of Colombia or something.)

11. Flavor said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:40 am

I said, “when the Dodgers release Uribe…”. It’s coming. And there’s nothing sweeter than an Ex LA player getting paid by LA to come to SF and be part of the next World Series Machine…….

• chipower9 said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:55 am

Yeah, I could see that (Uribe’s release) happening. I checked the Bum’s site to see where he was in the pecking order on the IF…buried at “FOURTH” for 3rd base and doesn’t even show up for SS.

Oh, and by the way, just in case all you all did not know this…

The Dodgers SUCK! (grin)

Had to throw out the infamous Zumie grin, there…

12. paulinasia said, on December 13, 2012 at 9:02 am

It’s a cool signing. At first I thought, ooh, Pagan isn’t going to like that. But yeah, creating a little pressure to perform is a good thing, especially after the big contract. Pagan cannot get fat and lazy. And it’s not the right-handed power bat people keep talking about for left field, but a) there’s not much money left for that, and b) who’s available? Swisher? Unless there’s some kind of weird trade coming that we can’t imagine, aside from probably adding a reliever, Sabean et al are mostly done… by Christmas. That’s remarkable.

13. willedav said, on December 13, 2012 at 9:06 am

Just something about seeing the number 62 up there..imagine Mays still thinks if he had been on first he would have scored.
    One thing about Yanks despite all the bravado of Bronx bombers maris/mantle etc of that era was their IF defense and strength up the middle..losing Kubek couple years later vs. the Cards f-ed them up big time and of course by then Mantle was beset by injuries too. Man I sure hope SF can stay healthy and maintain level of pitching and defense.

• chipower9 said, on December 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

RE: 62. Maybe that is the generic report date. But for the Giants, the report dates are:

Pitchers and Catchers: February 19
      Full Squad: February 24

First ST game: February 23.

14. paulinasia said, on December 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

And, finally, from what I’ve seen, the first acknowledgement of the Giants’ success from the national media (Passan), talking about a team trying to emulate our San Francisco Giants with their moves this off season.

15. chipower9 said, on December 13, 2012 at 9:40 am

Thought this was cool, and appropriate to share given the news this morning…

16. Macdog said, on December 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Welcome home, Andres! Just like Pawlie, I love this Flav line: “2010, meet 2012 and join together to form a greater 2013.” If not Uribe, can Dirrrrrrrrty be far behind?

As Schulman pointed put as far as a Blanco-Torres platoon: “Torres, who turns 35 next month, did hit .286/.382/.381 in 171 plate appearances against lefties last year.” Which is interesting because in ’10, Torres was much better hitting lefty than righty.

17. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2012 at 10:10 am

Did y’all hear Jarrett Jack after the Warrior game say that his buddy Floyd Mayweather dropped a $100,000 bet on a Warrior win last night?

Yowza.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2012 at 10:21 am

all I ever hear out of Mayweather is when he wins a bet. I’d like to see him tweet his losing tickets, too. Shit, if he’s betting 100K on a Dub’s mid week game then he’s probably placing 50 bets a week (or more)……..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 13, 2012 at 10:54 am

No kidding. I knew so many people like that in Reno. “oh, yeah. I win all the time.” Really, that’s interesting. They aren’t building sky scrapers in the desert because the house loses.

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Mayweather is a chump. After he’s done making his millions on the next fight or two and quits, he’ll be penniless, bankrupt in 3 to 5 years. Bet on THAT…

18. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

When he’s flat broke in 10 years, I’ll bet he regrets betting $500,000 a week on stupid shit.

19. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

Hey, Drrrty for long relief? Burrell as designated chick magnet?

20. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2012 at 11:48 am

Flav honors himself with POTD?!?

• unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2012 at 11:49 am

That was pretty damn good, though, I must say . . .

21. Irish Kevin said, on December 13, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Red Sox sign Ryan Dempster to 2 yrs, $26.5 mil. WTF would you pay a 35 year pitcher that kind of money?, seriously! and Angels sign Hamilton for 5 yrs a$125 mill. Really??

22. twinfan1 said, on December 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm

It’s all about the legs with Andres. Maybe with playing time as he had in 2009, he can avoid the leg injuries that have dogged him since 2011. The season wasn’t a week old in 2012 when he pulled up lame with a calf injury.He hit the DL twice with us n 2011. Shin, calf, achilles inuries, he’s been a magnet. He became a punch and judy hitter after 2010, not because he was finished but because he rarely had his legs under him. Can lightning strike twice for a guy who quickly became a favorite for his play and his winning personality? Couldn’t happen to a better man.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

If the teams in southern california want to engage in a salary race to the bottom that is just fine with me.

• unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2012 at 2:24 pm

No shit. As much as I could give a rat’s ass about the A’s, it was hilarious to see them beat the Rangers and the Angels after both those clubs dropped gazillions to buy the west last year.

Not that Wolff and co had anything to do with it. . . .

24. zumiee said, on December 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm

2013 prediction- the Giants and the Angels in the World Series. The national media goes on and on about the Angels’ powerful batting order, and how the Angels will score a million runs. The Giants win the World Series 4 games to 1, and the national media marvels at how the Giants got lucky yet again.

25. zumiee said, on December 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

If the NFL did add any more playoff teams, that would about be the end of my interest in the NFL. My interest in it is already kind of fizzling away. Someone asked me today who I thought would win the game tonight, and I told them I haven’t known all year who’s playing in the Thursday night games. Unless you’re in a Fantasy league, the sport just doesn’t hold the same week-to-week interest.

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I think I am becoming my Grandfather. He didn’t care for NFL football either . . . I haven’t watched one complete game this season. Conversely, like my Grandfather, my love for baseball grows exponentially each year. Old people have a lot of wisdom . . .

26. Salty said, on December 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Baseball is the undisputed king, but I’m grateful we have the 49er’s and Warriors competitive again to fill the void. We they stunk, it was a long winter.

• Salty said, on December 13, 2012 at 3:45 pm

when

27. stixwiz said, on December 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Liking the return of #56. Gives SF the best smallball outfield in the game. Torres’ addition is supplementary rather than complementary. That to me indicates that the speed plus defense philosophy is now solidly grounded, along, of course, with platinum pitching, as the Giants’ M.O. Be nice to see Giants scouting around to find the best possible available bunting coach to add to their staff. There are a handful of good bunters on the team already, but with that speed in the outfield and now available off he bench, the smallball threat can be enhanced.

Scutaro can also function as a second hitting coach, particularly with a guy like Andres who should be strongly cautioned away from attempting to carry the team on his back by way of the longball. Scoots speaks Yungo’s language ~ more ways than one, i should think. Professional contact hitters like our 2Bman can have a most positive impact in bringing smallball smarts to the younger players. Anything but a “braindead Caribbean” type, Scutaro can be envisioned as a future roving hitting coach for the Giants system.

Good speed plus contact hitters plus occasional power equals a team which should score enough runs to keep their pitchers in the game, not needing to pitch so fine like in 2010 and particularly 2011, always tapdancing on a tightrope while dreading yet another one-run deficit.

28. blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Wow! Surprised that the Angels just signed Jose Hamilton for $125 million/5 years.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2012 at 5:32 pm

completely stupid. Losoing Grienke and adding Hanson and Blanton is not an upgrade to your pitching staff. Sign Hamilton for what? They’re already projected to score a lot of runs. I guess the plan is to just score MORE runs.
      That approach to building a world series winner does not work. Building a stud pitching staff with a kickass bullpen is the way to go (as Sabes taught us all recently)……
      But seriously, how often does the team that outslugs you go on to win the world series?
      You have to have pitching and lots of it…….

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Only the tip of the iceberg Flav. What do they do with Trumbo? Dude can barely field his outfield position. They tried him at third and he sucked hind titty. Also, Peter Bourjos and Vernon Wells were already competing for time in the outfield. Those guys get traded I bet. Yeah, this is stupid. I cracked up when I read that Tori Hunter was especially pissed . . .

“Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter, who spent the past five seasons in Anaheim before signing with Detroit last month, bristled at the size of Hamilton’s contract in a post on his Twitter page.

“I was told money was tight but I guess the Arte had money hidden under a Mattress. Business is business but don’t lie,” Hunter tweeted.

Hunter, who signed a two-year deal worth $26 million with Detroit, subsequently attempted to downplay his initial reaction. The veteran outfielder posted a series of tweets congratulating the Angels on the acquisition of Hamilton.

“Just keeping it real!!,” he tweeted. “I’m not upset just have fun with it.”

29. Flavor said, on December 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm

the Angels should have signed Anibel Sanchez AND Dempster— had they done that, their offense would still be rock solid and they would have put together a pretty kick ass starting 5 with Weaver, Wilson and…..ok, 4 kick ass starting pitchers…..

30. Flavor said, on December 13, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I’m still pretty stoked about the Vungo return. Great signing….
    I’m still hopeful of a Bee-Wheezy return—it would make the most sense for him and the team. Look, he’s not going to be ready to close daily, or probably even pitch, on opening day. Any team that signs Wheeze is signing him for 2014, not 2013. So a smart team will sign him to 2 years…..
    We currently have Romo as our closer for 2013—he’s got all the right saber numbers to be an elite closer in 2013 but, alas, he doesn’t have the body for it. This is a dude who pitches with knee braces regularly and who just doesn’t have a body built for a season long chore of closing.
    Enter Bee-Wheezy….
    Sign him for 2 years at 9-10 million. Ease him into a co-closer role with Romo in June. Let them share it through the end of the season. And based off what Wilson does in 2013 you decide how to use him in 2014. Same with Romo.
    It’s fucking brilliant, at least in my mind……

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm

In the words of the Sundance Kid, “You just keep thinking Butch. That’s what your good at.”

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 13, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I’m not high on the Torres signing but it looks like a prudent move. He and Blanco can man LF. As long as Pence and Belt produce it will work.

How about Bourne (sp?) being left without a chair. Another Boras client taking a 1year deal? He had to have had a deal on the table at some point right?

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Agree with you Dirt – not high on Vungo signing, except as insurance/sentimental reasons . . . As Twin said, perhaps he gets his legs back and he can be productive. However, I think at his age, coupled with him essentially only having one good season in his resume, he’ll only provide at best a platoon with Blanco.

Yeah, I am still going with my contention that Bourn will be trying to find a “chair” after the music stops (read late January or beginning of spring training). As you pointed out, Bor”ass” fucked up last year with one of his clients too, where he could only get a one year contract (forgot the player’s name????). Bourn wins the lotto by having a career season on his free agent walk year and Bor”ass” will probably squander his opportunity.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm

MLBTR reports that SF offerd Ichiro a 2 year deal but he went to NY instead. I would have liked to see Ichiro in orange and black but Torres is a better move and gives more flexibility for a trade deadline move next summer. Ichiro is a trip. Dude just has bad timing or something. Stayed in Seattle too long and too late for a aging roster in NY. Too bad. It would be great to see him in the WS. Somewhere Matsui laughs himself to sleep at night thinking about it.

I think it was Edwin Jackson who then took a 1 year deal with the Nationals.

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I really liked Ichiro Dirt . . . In fact, I think you had him on your Flap FL team last season and I made a trade offer for him, which you turned down. Best trade I didn’t make (LOL).

Seriously, I wouldn’t believe that his putrid 2011 was who he was and consequently, after his poor 2012 season (for him), I had to face facts, that he wasn’t going to reclaim past glory.

• twinfan1 said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

in 2009, playing part time, Andres was even better than 2010. That’s what I’d hope for from him, at best.

32. twinfan1 said, on December 13, 2012 at 7:56 pm

One of the best lines about Andres came from Huff who said that Torres said hi to him 8 times a day…
    I doubt that Bochy would ever go with a co-closer role by choice, BTW..it’s probably briillant, Flavor, but I can tell you from vast experience that it’s more rewarding to have a good dog…

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

That’s hilarious Twin. When I worked for the government, I knew someone like that. I attributed it to working for the government – we have a lot of weird and eccentric people working in the government (myself included πŸ™‚ )

33. blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Regardless of what you think of the Hamilton signing (I think it’s asinine), the Rangers get reamed again in the off season . . . Dollars to donuts, the Rangers either double down on a Dickey trade and/or make a run at Anibal Sanchez. Failing that, they make a run for Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher, or Adam LaRoche,

34. snarkk said, on December 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Re-signing of Torres — meh.
    I guess they’re hoping the ATT friendly confines will goose his performance. So do I. Especially if this is a major league deal and he’s essentially on the team…