A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Bruce Jenkins Rights His Wrong

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 19, 2012

I’m not too sure if any of you read Jenkins’ short column last week on David Stern. He ticked off several points that were completely accurate about the NBA’s fraud of a commissioner. Stern is one of the worst, almost as bad as Goodell, and the NBA will get immediately better on his last day in office scheduled for the end of this season. But I definitely noticed the disturbing comment he made when he said, “Stern is Jewish and has no feel for Christmas in the first place.” It didn’t disturb me to the point of outrage, I didn’t even gather the muster to send off a complaint to the Chronicle.

But I guess a bunch of people did manage the muster to do so. Yesterday he issued an apology:

Bruce Jenkins is one of great columnists that the Bay Area has ever seen–it’s too bad surfing isn’t more popular here, it’s clearly his passion and while I don’t know a thing about surfing I always read and enjoy the Maverick’s article he writes each year around this time. I’d like to think he issued the apology on his own but he was probably pushed to do it by his bosses. Either way, I give him a pass on writing something stupid. He’s written far too many thoughtful and engaging articles over the years to hold one dumb comment against him.

As many of you know, my daughter is 50% Jewish. Her maternal grandfather escaped Europe during World War 2 and has some pretty amazing stories about *close calls* of being apprehended by the Germans. He doesn’t like to talk about it too much. And he is 100% all about Christmas. The tree, the presents, everything that has to do with Christmas, he’s all-in. If there is one man I know who *has a feel for Christmas* it is this man. And in some ways he showed me the meaning of Christmas, which I pass on to my daughter now, better than my own parents did (and they did a pretty good job of it).

So *thank you Bruce Jenkins* for standing up and writing something you wish you didn’t have to write. But it was the right thing to do……..

1. willedav said, on December 19, 2012 at 7:30 am

Jenkins is right about all the games on Christmas Day…wtf is that all about? Hey, NBA guys travel a ton and play majority of games at night. You can’t give them a special day to be home with their family?
    Maybe how bad the Chiefs are is what drove Loo off. I’m pretty sure he was a die hard–I said something here once about how annoying Hank Stram was and he warned me not to diss the guy again. Hard to believe you could have one guy as bad as Matt Cassel, and another one even worse in Brady Quinn.

2. salty said, on December 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

Well said flavor. And good for Jenkins. He has always been one of my favorite columnists, .never afraid to admit he was “dead wrong in public”. Great stylist, funny…his 3 dot com on Sat was must reading. Beside baseball surfing , I thought he did excellent work on tennis, Olympics NBA…he knows his stuff and his passion is evident.

3. chipower9 said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:10 am

Good stuff. I have always admired Jenkins as one of the best in the Bay Area. I had not read the piece, but do agree with him about the playing of games on Christmas day (I am not a religious person, but know that a majority of Americans are), and feel that all of the players should have the option to spend time with family and friends. Yeah, it was a bone-headed comment, but good for him (regardless of whether he was forced to, or not) for appolgizing.

BTW – On a separate note, Pawlie’s book is available now via Amazon. I got notice yesterday that my copy (ordered through Amazon) had shipped.

• eddacker said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:30 am

got mine this morning and between other tasks onto chapter 7. Good readin’.
      I think I will re-watch (fourth time) the official MLB World Series film; they go well together.

• chipower9 said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

Cool. Mine it “out for delivery,” so should be there when I get home this afternoon. Is that the two disc that provides highlights of the season you’re watching? I have that one ordered (temporarily out of stock). I do have the 8 disc set that has ALL 4 complete games of the 2012 World Series, NLDS Game 5, NLCS Game 5, Cain’s perfecto, etc. The 8 disc set has dropped to $59.95 on Amazon.

• eddacker said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:08 am

I cannot order the DVD, different format here. I have recorded the ESPN broadcast. It is from the Giants POV and has the “backs against the wall” playoffs/elimination games as the prelude to the WS. It is an hour and a half. Good stuff. Like I said, I awoke on Monday morning and there it was. I have watched it every day since.

4. James said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:10 am

WASP-ish anti-semitism seems like it’s from another era. At least he hasn’t ragged on Selig for those Halloween games. Of course, Lew Wolff ain’t a favorite of Bruce, either.

5. eddacker said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

To be a good columnist you must print what you are thinking/feeling/hearing. This is in contrast to holding back so that you never make a mistake.This allows a columnist to not hear/see every side of what they have just written. Or else a columnist would never find time to publish.
    Being able to come back and say you were wrong is much stronger than never _being_ wrong.

To include the words Jewish, Christmas and any form of “no feelings” in the same thought, to me, is ignorance of the highest. What he should have said is “white Jewish slave owner getting the most out of his black mules.”
    Faith be damned, dem folks at home want entertainment.

• chipower9 said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

LMAO…that’s damned funny, Ed…

6. eddacker said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Javier Herrera, OF
    Aside from the Winter Leagues and a few Independent League stints, he’s been out of professional baseball since 2009 but the Giants have taken note of his impressive numbers in Venezuela (.415 BA, 8 HR, 19 RBI in 20 games) and signed the 27 year-old to a minor league deal.
    now that the hot stove is cooling down, time to look to the minors

7. ewisco said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

looking at the various commisioners, it’s like trying to decide who’s the tallest of the pygmies.

• eddacker said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:50 am

for me it is the NBA; I do not know about NHL, but baseball and NFL is too established and has some sort of resiliency.

8. twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’ve written about Jenkins many times and had a long going Email correspondance with him, mostly talk about our fathers. (Gordon Jenkins was an arranger and songwriter of renown in the midpart of the 20th century). Bruce is a great sportswriter, made a mistake and owned up to it. David Stern is tied with Goodell and Selig as the worst commisioner, scheduling games on a day that most Americans consider the most sacred of holidays is a boneheaded, insensitive, dumb decision that reflects his stupidity, not his religion.

• chipower9 said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

With emphasis on “stupidity.”

• snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Jenkins is pretty good, given that Bay Area sportswriting has never been populated by a lot of talent, ala Glenn Dickey. I read his 3 Dot thing all the time. I often think he has the wrong take on things, he has an affectation for things LA, and he’s not unknown to do 180s on opinions or projections in fairly short time frames. I don’t give a fig about surfing, and most don’t, but I’ll give him his occasional wanderings into that realm as musings to which a writer occasionally needs to give voice to keep from going stale. He’s the best of a mediocre lot, IMO…

9. Macdog said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

I searched for the whole column, but couldn’t find it. Regardless, I’m shocked that comment even made it into print. There are editors who are supposed to flag such outrageous statements, no matter how esteemed the columnist.

Although I don’t read him much anymore, I’ve always liked Jenkins. Funny, I was just talking about NBA games on Christmas with a co-worker the other day. We looked up to see how many games were being played on Christmas, and were surprised to see five of them, including a day-night doubleheader at Staples Center. That explains why Knicks-Lakers is on in the afternoon not at night in prime time.

This isn’t something new for Stern, and I can recall a couple memorable Christmas games from the 80s. One year Bernard King dropped 50 on the Nets at the Garden, but the Nets won anyway. Another year, early in Patrick Ewing’s career and before the Knicks became a contender, he hit a game-winner to beat the mighty Celtics. The Garden went nuts.

As for the poll, I chose Flav’s funny take on “All of the above.”

• Macdog said, on December 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

Correction: Bernard King scored 60 points that game. The Nets still won.

• xoot said, on December 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

That was my first response, too — how the hell did that make it into print? Terrible gaffe by a good writer (and a stand up apology), but, man, what does the whole debacle say about chron/sfgate?

• chipower9 said, on December 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm

That their editing has sucked for a very long time…

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 19, 2012 at 10:05 am

I picked all of the above as well but I think Stern is the worst of all the commissioners. He’s made the NBA a global brand but speaking as a casual fan I no longer have any interest.

• eddacker said, on December 19, 2012 at 10:09 am

I am convinced, except for enough deniability, the NBA is rigged; from the top down on some level every season most teams. Could it be the refs? The coaches? dunno

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 19, 2012 at 10:20 am

Ever since that ref (Donahey?) a couple of years back was convicted I’ve thought the same thing. From the draft on down to calls for ‘super stars’ the league is unwatchable.

• JBat said, on December 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

Ask Seattle Supersonics fans about David Stern. He’s nothing short of a nasty turd. The Sonics are coming back within 5 years, but him letting the lying Clay Bennett get away with highway robbery was devastating. He’s hated here. And Jenkin’s comment can definitely be construed as anti-Semitic. I’m glad to see him stand up and do the right thing.

11. chipower9 said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

Damn…commented on Jenkins and completely forgot to mention the poll. There was so much ineptitude there I had to go with The All Stink.

12. snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:27 am

Though I’ve got no love for Stern at all and for the travesty he presides over that is the NBA, I have to go with Bettman as the worst commissioner. First, nobody knows who he is (hockey guy). Which means nobody knows about hockey, which means he’s doing a horrible job. Second, you can’t have the chance of TWO full seasons gone in your sport due to labor problems within the space of 7 years, and be considered anything other than a total jackass of a commissioner. It doesn’t help that on the other side, the players are represented by Don Fehr, formerly head of the MLBPA, another guy famed for his jackassery, and with his own huge load of responsibility for keeping the steroid era in full speed ahead mode…

• chipower9 said, on December 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hockey is at a big disadvantage as they don’t have the big dollar TV deals that the other major sports have. I can see your point on Bettman, though. Two lock-outs in a decade…WTF. I do miss hockey, though. Will have to shoot down and catch the Bulls at the Cow Palace.

13. snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:47 am

As for Stern, I’ve said here before, he presides over a pro league that I believe is a rogue league that has destroyed a once great pro game. I’m old enough to remember watching the “old” style NBA of the ’60s and ’70s, where the players weren’t as big and talented, yet the play was real basketball, as intended. Passing, screen setting, no incessant dribbling, no back downs and clear outs. Sam Jones, Russell, West, Baylor, Oscar, Wilt, Havlicek, Hal Greer, Chet Walker, all those guys. Some say the players are better now. Well, they’re bigger and more athletic, I’ll say that, but not at all better. In the old days, those guys got the most of their talent, and knew how to play the game. Oscar would still rake in today’s game, and a young Wilt would deal on every center working now. Into the late ’70s, as the Celtics and Laker rivalvry faded, the game descended almost to underground status (tape delayed, late night Finals on CBS!) before Magic and Bird resurrected it singlehandedly. Then, the great Showtime Laker squads of the ’80s and their exploits along with battling Boston brought the game back, with a short detour with the Detroit team’s horrible thuggery type play, until Michael took it to new heights into the ’90s. Nowadays, the constant flow of “one and done” players from college into the NBA has destroyed the beauty of the game because they bring no fundamentals to the game. Now, it’s firing threes after backdowns and clearouts, with the occasional dunk. Some of the Flappers just above echo what I’ve said before — I believe the NBA game is rigged fairly often. Subtly, expertly. Witness Stern’s vetoing that New Orleans trade to the Lakers the year before — I think he saw that the Lakers would eventually have trouble as Kobe wound down, so he engineered Paul going to the Clips instead — an up and coming team that would still keep a spotlight in the LA market, which the league desperately has to maintain. The Clips are on a roll this season, the Lakers look lost. The NBA refereeing is atrocious, and homered beyond suspicion with phantom fouls and favored players. Stern’s masterful, quick, deep sixing of the Donaghy mess, with complicity of ESPN (where was ‘Outside the Lines” and a full-on media frenzy like Penn State, when an indicted former NBA ref says he wasn’t the only ref doing dirty stuff?) convinced me that to some hard-to-quantify extent, the NBA is not on the up and up. I can’t imagine MLB having umps that regularly make such blatant calls that obviously and consistently favor one team or one player over another. They blow calls, but not blatantly favorable calls with regularity. Were I a betting man, and I’m not, I would never bet on an NBA game…

14. twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

Maybe a better way to look at it is that Stern has embraced the real meaning of the Holiday season for business people of all faiths: makin’ money. As SI.COM says “NBA Christmas tradition has been a huge commercial success… Ranging from shoe campaigns to specialty jerseys and higher ratings, holiday games are a giant cash cow. And that’s something any commissioner appeals to.”

15. snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I don’t really have any animosity towards Christmas day NBA games, any more than I would against the NFL for the now THREE football games on Thanksgiving. Or, MLB games on the Fourth of July, or spring training games on Easter or Good Friday or any other league’s games on any other religious holiday. The more secular this country is, IMO, the better. Since apparently NBA fans come out to the arenas to see the games on Christmas, that must mean THEY don’t have a problem with it. If they don’t, I don’t, ‘cuz I don’t watch it anyway. I will say contrary to custom, I’ve watched a little bit of Warrior highlights lately, since they’ve actually arisen from the dead as a team this year. Knowing it’s the Dubs, I’ll wait until about Feb to get interested in them again. But, they look like maybe they’ve turned the corner as an organization. I still don’t get, though, why Biedrins is still there. Their failure to “amnesty” him was a giant mistake…

• twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

When the bitching is about the last guy on the bench it’s incredible progress.

16. snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I don’t think for a second that the apparent improvement of the Dubs and the fact that Jerry West is in the front office once in a while are just coincidental…

• twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Imagine how good they could be if he showed up more often 😉

• snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Or, if he were ten years younger…

17. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

All these commishes have done very well for the owners in their respective leagues. Well, except for the hockey fuck. Hockey was juuuust about to make inroads as a viable sport to watch, and score a decent TV deal, and boom they cancelled their season (1995? I don’t know or care) and pffft. There went any momentum around hockey. Stupid. The good news is cancelling hockey on ESPN gave them the impetus for putting the WSOP on
    the schedule. And for some stupid-ass reason, I dig watching poker. Much more exciting than hockey.

Snarkk, Michael Jordan singlehandedly changed the way games are officiated. As he became a star, dribbling and travelling violations used to get called all the time. Now guys get 2 steps and a jump-hop in the lane to hit a lay-up or slam. Guys carry the ball half way around their bodies on a dribble drive. This shit used to be called. Now, nope. Teams like San Antonio and Dallas play a pretty good game. This is why players from Europe now transition easily into the NBA where they used to struggle. THEY know the fundamentals now. The US players don’t.

• blade3colorado said, on December 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm

“THEY know the fundamentals now. The US players don’t.”

That irony struck as being quite funny.

18. Flavor said, on December 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I sent Jenkins an email today with the link to today’s post and he sent me back a very heartfelt email appreciating it. He didn’t have to do that, seems like a cool guy.

• twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Jenkins was always very responsive to my Emails- well past just being polite, he seemed to genuinely enjoy correspondence. He knew my Dad’s work and I made an effort to know of his father’s accomplishments, so we had something we could share, But he seemed like a man who would enjoy talking with anyone about sports, life…just about anything.He’s a nice man. I stopped our correspondence when I became ill. .

19. blade3colorado said, on December 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

My worst Commissioner? Flav is. I never got the broken-headed Rich Aurilia bobble head doll for winning the Flap Fantasy League Championship. Late at night, I still rage and fume about that slight.

🙂

• Flavor said, on December 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Edd hasn’t gotten it either. But in Edd’s case, he actually has a beef, he gave me an address. I keep meaning to send it to him, I just can’t find any time to go the post office.

• eddacker said, on December 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

hahahahahahahaha
        tell blade: next year I show my dominance

• Flavor said, on December 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Ha, skipping Palo Alto this year. FUCK THAT! lol

• zumiee said, on December 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

East Palo Alto is on the schedule. What’s the difference? (grin)

• blade3colorado said, on December 19, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Cross the rail road track and you’ll know.

• zumiee said, on December 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm

ALRIGHT- THE TROPHY TOUR!!I I dig it!!!
      It’s a very cool thing, this basking. There cannot be too much of it.
      I got a chuckle out of the fact that the trophy tour has an official sponsor (Bank of America.)

We will celebrate winning the World Series as much as we want to!!!

• xoot said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm

By the middle of 2011, the trophy was on display during home games in a corner behind a view-level margarita stand at China Basin. It was still beautiful, of course, and your pic with it looked cool. But . . . .

Nothing matches the memory of the games. Still, I admit, reminders are welcome.

20. zumiee said, on December 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Extremely cool to see that Oroville is on the trophy tour. And Atwater. That’s huge for those cities, and will mean a tremendous amount to Giants fans in those areas. And other places on the tour, too, of course.

21. snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Well, Chuck I dunno if traveling and double dribbles used to be called “all the time” before Jordan, but I’ll go with they got called more. And, three second violations, which I think now are called about once a season per NBA team. Anyway, one thing that gets me now with basketball on the college level, let alone pros, is the ability of the dribbler to just constantly “palm” the ball. As in just cupping your hand over the ball and twisting it constantly so that there’s a constant pressure on the ball. No straight hand on the ball at all. That non-call has promoted a lot of the dribble drive and incessant dribbling that goes on now, since it allows so much more ball control than in the old days when palming would actually be called. If that’s the rule now, OK fine, but I think it leads to a worse brand of play with less passing…

22. snarkk said, on December 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Maybe this is a bit blasphemous, but I’m not sure I like the look of the WS trophy that much. I get the flags for the teams, etc. But, I saw it up close at ATT during one of the photo sessions after 2010, and I gotta tell youse guys, I thought it looks a little “busy” and cheezy. I think the Lombardi NFL trophy with just the big football really is a better effort. So, you ask what would you change it to? I got no clue. A sculpted glove, a ball, a bat — or a conglomeration of all 3? I dunno, I just think that trophy could be better…

• Flavor said, on December 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

No way, I think it’s cool as hell. Classy, refined, defined….it’s got it all

23. twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Trophy tour? I hadn’t thought of that when I won my bowling trophy.
    tropht

Shit, that’s my Heisman. I always get them mixed up.

24. James said, on December 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Did you know that Jack Morris led the league in wild pitches 6 times? That ties him with Nolan Ryan. His best year was 1987 with 24 WPs, 3 more than Ryan’s top single season total. Jack is also the AL career record holder for WPs.

• twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 8:15 pm

That does it! Let the committee know I’m changing my vote to Woody Williams..

• Flavor said, on December 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

You’re right. Morris sucked. What was his OPS?

• James said, on December 19, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Gee, I thought I was bolstering the case of this intangibly excellent hurler.

25. twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Well, I have to admit voting for Morris because I thought he had a better chance than Curt of doing the next 10 to 15 a free man..

26. James said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Did you know that Jack Morris would supplant Red Ruffing as the pitcher with highest lifetime ERA of any HOF pitcher? That is pretty badass . . . .

• twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Don’t you be knocking Red Ruffing,James. He’s Zeke’s favorite.

• twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I think his ERA got inflated when Cito Gaston had him “take one for the team” and he gave up 134 runs in the 5th inning of a game against Minnesota in 1993..

27. twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Did you know that Curt actually put the bloody sock up as collateral when he filed Chapter 7?

28. James said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Curt and Jack? http://www.depressedfan.com/images/kissmecurt0725_small.jpg

29. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Fricking Dubs can’t beat the Kings again.

30. eddacker said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:08 am

New York City
    My cheapest ticket, wonder if the Trophy will be @ ST?
    plus I will get to live Kokonuts Finnegans chapter!

31. eddacker said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:12 am

Oh, Yeah, got my Kindle copy and reading it today
    🙂

32. eddacker said, on December 20, 2012 at 4:59 am

I JUST GOT IT
    BASKING
    After my 6th watch of the 2012 WS film
    my team is great, good, amazing and the word “team” has never meant so much before.

33. snarkk said, on December 21, 2012 at 11:25 am

Would appreciate comments on the WS CDs you guys are talking about. The WS games were actually not the best games, except maybe #4, as compared to some of the NLDS and NLCS games. Do the CDs give much coverage to the earlier playoff games? And, are they all Fox TV announced, i.e., it’s the drubbish duo of Buck and McCarver, or do we get any of Miller and Kruk & Kuip? Any other features?…