A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Sending the Dodgers under .500

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 4, 2013

It’s tough to complain about taking 2 of 3 from Dodgers in their house. But 7 walks against 4 strike outs? Everyone is talking about how Tim gutted out that win but this was more of a case of him lucking his way to the W. He lost his velocity, just like last year, after a few innings. By the 5th he was throwing his fastball 88-90 mph–with very poor location. That’s not gonna get it done over the course of the season. I’m awaiting Kruk’s breakdown on KNBR this morning where he tells me it was all a mechanical flaw and that Tim is juuuuuuust about there. Of course, he said that all year last season, too.

Chad Gaudin seems to have rocketed up the ranks, yes? What was that all about? He should be 2nd guy in the showers by the 8th inning….

I still find it amusing how starry-eyed the Dodgers fans are when a fly ball gets him…

The two bombs we hit were uber-impressive. Pence hit the shit out of that ball to right center. That’s hard to do. And Panda hit his by hacking at a ball around his neck. But he blasted it.

Too bad St Louis isn’t coming in to play today after playing the longest game in Chase Field’s history last night….

I’m really looking forward to adding a pic of the 2012 World Series ring to the right….

1. Nipper said, on April 4, 2013 at 7:45 am

He’s fat but he’s good!

2. paulinasia said, on April 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

Of course there are some things that one could complain about, but I’m not going to. With 159 games to go, whatever flaws or weaknesses the Giants might have shown in those 3 games matter absolutely not at all. What matters is coming home 2-1, instead of 1-2 or 0-3, because it was against LA. I almost view those 3 games as the last rite of spring training. Now the real season begins, at home (raise that banner!), and the team has got to be feeling pretty good. Timmy? I think in my season predictions (don’t remember exactly), I had him going something like 6-8 on the year, thinking he’d rack up a handful of losses as a starter and then get put in the pen, from which he would perform just fine. I actually will be surprised if he straightens himself out as a starter this year, but I have no doubt the team will compensate for it and no doubt he would be lights out in relief.

And what also matters is seeing the same spirit that brought them back from the brink in the NLDS and NLCS last year is still there, getting completely shut down by Kershaw in game 1 and then coming back to win the series. We Flappers might have knowing-dude-nods, but these guys just have the unFlappable look of “no problem” on their collective faces. Love that. Doesn’t mean they’ll win every series — they won’t — but it bodes well, and shit, winning more than losing is just so much more fun.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2013 at 11:07 am

My prediction on Timmy is in jeopardy, if we base it on yesterday’s start. I think I had him at 14-8. For some reason, I expect a bounce-back year for Tim…nothing to base it on, other than gut and hope.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Chi, better minds can correct me – but I think everyone on the prediction thread had Timmy rock and rolling this year with a good or excellent record. I know I had him doing well, although I have nothing to base it on, except hope. I have been in the camp that thinks he has already had his best years. However, I like Tim and hope he proves me wrong.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Agree with you Paul. Obviously, the Flappers who saw the game would know better than I, but I am primarily interested in the Giants taking 2 of 3 from the Bums. I have no idea what is wrong with Tim, so that’s why I am here tuning into the flap. I’ll add my two cents with regard to specifics when I return home, but for now, I am happy to see that the Giants are kicking ass. Oh yeah, I visited an internet cafe and finally saw my Flap league standings (very happy) and made some moves for the next couple of days, as well as put out a message regarding a possible trade(s) for outfielders.

Still feeling a bit sick from the flu, but went did a bit of the tourist thingy today at the Mosaic Museum in Istanbul. New post on my blog too regarding the Topkapi Palace. Go Giants!

3. paulinasia said, on April 4, 2013 at 8:20 am

And also love that the LA “fans” are already calling for Ned “Confetti” to fire Donnie 2 Trips. That would all change quickly with a good winning streak, but it’s light years away from being unFlappable…

4. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 8:41 am

The word seems to be “compete”. Tim and Bochy said it and he did work his way out of some jams that would have resulted in 4 run innings last year… *however*, that “heavy marine layer” was his his best friend. Really, not an encouraging start…
    Matt Kemp vs. Giants- 0 for last 25..
    Someone said Belt was looking a ittle green on Monday ( referring to his his illness) …Belt responded “That was Kershaw..”
    Get it over with: Crawdad is the SS gold glove winner…
    8th inning, a lead- the pitcher should be Casilla. Otherwise, he’s making about 3 million too much..
    Gaudin does have some nasty stuff.So why has he been so putrid for so long and why do we think that will change…
    As critical as I’ve been of Zits, getting the home opener gig against the Cards was an absolute no brainer, the man should get the standing “O” to end all standing O’s…

• paulinasia said, on April 4, 2013 at 8:51 am

Agree on all points, about Timmy, Kemp (sweet…), Crawford, Casilla (who I still like as a closer, but that job is currently being done very well by Romo, obviously, so that leaves the 8th), and especially Zito. The dude should have happy tears in his eyes on Friday night.

5. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2013 at 8:59 am

Well, Timmy did miss some camp time, so he’s a little behind, but still and all, the same problems which were there last year, remain. Loss of velocity. Utter lack of command of his fastball. Way too many deep counts, pitches, and walks. I didn’t have the heart to post that he has become Drrrty because it scares the shit out of me, but there you go. The defense stands around for long stretches until they get lulled into comas. Then you get lapses, as in Posey’s misplay of the grounder. The passed ball? Well, that’s on Hector.

Pence’s shot was epic. Panda’s? The was exactly like the 1st one in the WS. Chin-high FB that no one in their right mind can turn on . . .

• paulinasia said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:06 am

Yeah, Pablo hits pitches that the pitchers are actually trying to make. The high heater, the down and away curve, well placed. Someone posted it here, that tape on Leno with Pablo hitting the third one out backwards between his legs… Yep, I can do that, he says….

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 10:28 am

Yeah, I posted that…
        Pablo will always have periods when he expands his own special SZ a little too much, but he’ll take care of it himself. I blame 2010 mostly on a stupid attempt to make him “disciplined”. As a result he was was swinging at the same pitches he used to drive- but getting off half swings and check swings. He needs to left alone.

6. snarkk said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

Most of you’se here probably don’t give an S, and that’s cool. But, Cal women in the Final Four. That is huge for any women’s college sport, to be in the “Finals” of a national champ tournament. And, to make it even better, Stanfurd is outside looking in, for a change. I usually take the Snarkkettes to one women’s game per season, so of course we missed this year, on the best ever squad. I think they have a shot — would luv to see them beat that tool Gino Auriemma’s Conn. team in the Finals. Go Bears!…

• salty said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:22 am

I’m pulling for them after reading about the players and seeing the head coach interviewed. Watched most of the win vs Georgia. Exciting. I’m happy for them.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

GO BEARS. The Lady Bears first trip to the Final Four….WTF…why not win it all??!!

• Alleykat said, on April 4, 2013 at 10:23 am

I care Snarh..Still have them alive in the Tournament …Yeah I’m a junkie come March Madness. GO BEARS!!!!!

• willedav said, on April 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

clarendon can really shoot (unlike most of her teammates). Luv the pull up mid range J move…should be on a video for younger girls. the ‘do not so much but, whatever.

7. paulinasia said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

Anyone with a better memory than me remember last year, Dodgers vs. Padres, I think, late in the game, and two, count ’em, two Padres stole home on the same play against a reliever who wasn’t paying attention. Was that Bellisario? (sp) Maybe not. But Bellisario’s play in the 2nd game, not covering home on the wild throw thus allowing Torres to score, reminded me of that. Many Dodger bloggers that I’ve been reading out of curiosity are talking about having paid attention to spring training, and it didn’t seem like much *training* was going on… The Dogs did look pretty sloppy, perhaps unprepared. They’ll crank it up, most likely. I don’t want to see them do a complete shit-puddle face plant this early in the season. Better to save that for the stretch drive…..

• shaman138 said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

I remember that game–that was hilarious.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

I don’t get the impression that Donnie has ever had control of his guys…
      As far Timmy pitching like Dirrty- be more specific. We should dance like Fred and Ginger if he pitches like the 2010 Dirrty…and that may be the absolute best to hope for.
      Posey misplayed the grounder because he’s not a good 1st baseman..
      The best news that came out of last night was that Buster only played first because Belt was sick…

8. shaman138 said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:44 am

Timmy was my main concern going into the start of the season and nothing has changed. He’s pretty much become a liability in the starting rotation. Chuck is right–he’s the new Dirrrrrrty. And we still don’t know which Zito will show up this year. The fact that there is nobody else to step into the rotation if Timmy completely implodes is pretty worrisome. Otherwise, good start so far and the team overall is looking good.

9. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:46 am

As is usually the case I missed the cutover to a new thread (I need to wake my dumb ass up!).

My thoughts (orinally posted on yesterday’s thread) on the game:

I know it is only 3 of 162, but between our boys winning two World Series titles in three years, and taking the opening series against Los Bumbinos in their yard (with their vaunted almost QUARTER BILLION payroll), well, let’s just say I am BASKING MY ASS OFF right now!

And while it wasn’t pretty, last I checked pretty doesn’t always translate to wins. The Giants played their brand of championship baseball and took the series in the Latrine. I had NO expectations for Tim. Would not have been surprised if he smoked ‘em through seven innings, or got the hook by the 3rd inning, so I will take 5 rough innings with all the BBs, AND a W and just say that it is something on which to build. (But the flip-side, as Michael pointed out “not an encouraging start.”).

I am SO READY for tomorrow. It is going to be a magic day at 24 Willie Mays Plaza!

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

Have a great day at the ballpark tomorrow, Chi!
      I’m going to Wednesday’s game, and I’m pretty darned excited, too!
      Looks like I’ll be getting a Zito game, too. If Zito can keep up something similar to what he was doing last year, and in ST, it’s good times rollin’!

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Thanks, Zume…you have a great time, too. I was surprised you are not going on Monday. Aren’t you the one who is into magnet schedules?

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

Yes, I dig ’em! But I’m going with a group of folks, and they wanted the day game in the series. So, I missed the snow globe, too.

• Sarge said, on April 4, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I’m envious of those of you going to the game tomorrow. Have fun! I’m going on Wednesday myself.

10. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

I envy all who get to the games. Unlike football, which is strictly a TV game (IMO), baseball at the “yard” is light years better than couching it. The smells, the sounds, I still remember how Forbes Field seemed like an oasis in the gray of Pittsburgh. Here’s a poem by Tom Clark about one of my first baseball Gods..

“So long Roberto Clemente
    you have joined the immortals
    who’ve been bodysnatched
    by the Bermuda Triangle

When your plane went down
    it forced tears out of grown men
    all over the hemisphere
    Al Oliver and
    even Willie Stargell cried

You had a quiet
    pissed-off pride
    that made your countrymen
    look up to you
    even if you weren’t
    taller than they are

No matter how many times
    Manny Sanguillen
    dove for your body
    the sun kept going down
    on his inability to find it

I just hope those Martians realize
    they are claiming the rights to
    far and away the greatest rightfielder
    of all time”

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2013 at 11:02 am

Very nice and thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing.
      For some reason it reminded me that today is the anniversary of the loss of Martin Luther King, another great one we lost way too soon.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2013 at 11:04 am

Cool poem…thanks for sharing, Michael. I agree…baseball at the yard is the best (of course, I am biased, as baseball is BY FAR my favorite sport).

• salty said, on April 4, 2013 at 11:12 am

Nice poem.

• Sootree said, on April 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm

That’s a nice piece of nostalgia. Big difference attending a game now than back in the day. Its now more like a circus because apparently people have zero attention span and the crack of the bat is now often drowned out by idiots jabbering non-stop on their cell phones.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Agree. This is the main reason that I got out of the country and am traveling around the world. I got tired of watching the zombies walking the streets with their heads down twittering away with their thumbs. To be fair, I am getting closer to Europe and it’s as bad or worse there. Same deal with Oz and New Zealand. Even Thailand was ridiculous.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm

As I’ve noted, I learned a lot about him from the Maraniss bio. Thanks for the poem.

11. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 11:31 am

Not quite a poem, but a funny episode early in my relationship with Merna, it somehow reminds me of why football is a weird game.And yeah, I told this story before, but look, I’m running out of newbies. Merna has never liked football, but she tolerated it because of my Dad. The first game she watched that he announced was a preseason game with the Dolphins playing.She was pretty subduded and I was kinda pissed that she had no praise for Dad’s play-by-play. After the game I pressed her on it and all I got was stuff like “He’s fine”, or some such vanilla praise. Finally I discovered her problem: she thought “Czonka!!!” was an exclamation like ‘Wow!”.. and it was REALLY stupid… and Czonka got a lot of carries so he got many chances to sound…REALLY stupid..

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

that’s pretty funny. That could have been good in the batman series when Batman and Robin would fight the bad guys. Boom! Splat! Csonka!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2013 at 7:13 pm

A colorful slice of real life you just can’t make up. Good story.

12. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I’m feeling full of rhyme and rhythm- new post on my lonely litlle blog

poems

13. willedav said, on April 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Nate blasts a 2 run HR to CF to give Cubs insurance runs top 9th, then Marmol gives up 3 hits and walk to almost give it away. tying run on third with no outs, he gets a K and DP and Cubs win. Bloggers on both sides going wild. It is kind of hard to believe Marmol is still a closer for anyone.
    Despite playing on their not best continent, rockies hit 8 HRs in 3 games vs. Brewers and won 2 of them. They are here Monday, when their hitting shoes are usually in the repair shop. After Cards leave, SF gets Rox at home, then goes on road vs. Cubs and Brewers before returning home to face Pads and AZ. Out of those 19 games I’d like to see SF win about 13 plus and have everybody else looking up at them.

…Pads are bad enough with Headley, without him while he’s on the DL I dunno. I feel bad for Black, who I hope gets to manage a real mlb team at some point.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I suspected that Marmol would fall flat on his face this year and ensured that my first waiver wire request was a “handcuff” to the Japanese reliever in the number 2 spot. He got the save in the opener when Marmol fell flat on his face. I also claimed Fuji (something??? Don’t recall his exact name) in another league that I am in. He was very good in Japan and should do well here.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm

If I recall, Carlos has had some of his greatest meltdowns against us.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Yeah Twin, us and everyone else in the league. The irony is that he has excellent pitches, but zero control. I remember having him on one of my fantasy teams during his “good” season a couple of years ago and he was still scary, insofar as walking 3 straight and then getting a SO to get the save. Now, he might as well just be called “gas can” because that’s what usually happens when he is in the game. Pfffft!

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm

The Tiger pen is doing classic Marmol as we speak..

14. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Maybe those 2 wins will help them avoid 50 losses on flat land again.

15. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Good night all. I guess the Gmen are taking a break tomorrow (which is your Thursday in the time continuum I am trapped in being hours ahead of you all). Usually when I wake up, the Giants are putting the finishing touches on a win.

I can dig it. Hope it happens again Friday against the Cards when I wake up Saturday. 🙂

16. James said, on April 4, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Nice to see the Clark poem, TF. I’ve mentioned about a half dozen times that his “One Last Round for the Shuffler” is my favorite baseball book, but figure no one seems to mind a little redundancy on this blog. A couple years after I first read the book, I found myself working with his brother while doing legal proof reading for a brief time, and then, completely by chance, wound up working with his son in law several years ago.

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

“What?! Are you saying I’m redundant?! That I repeat myself?! That I say the same thing over and over?!”
      That’s from Frazier. Gotta like Frazier.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm

If reduncancy here was a crime, even Perry Mason couldn’t save me.

17. Irish Kevin said, on April 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Well, the 2 runs Timmy gave up were unearned. also I don’t know who was on KNBR last night at 5:00 pm but he mentioned that Timmy’s control on his fast ball is not what it was. he said forget about the speed. Cain and Bum’s fastball’s are not 95-98 MPH either but thier location is soo much better. So if Tim can learn to place all of his pitches better he would do better. I notice that when Tim starts to struggle he tends to pitch with only one pitch. He does not mix it up very well.

18. Irish Kevin said, on April 4, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Also this morning on ESPN, Colin said that the Giants have the best overall team in the league, meaning from ownership on down to the coaches.

19. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 4:23 pm

There’s not a lot of things better in life than an afternoon nap with the cat, that was nice. I seem to recall that afternoon sex was pretty good, too… ( no, not with the cat, you filthy men)..
    Hey, how about contributing to my baseball poem thread? I won’t even trash dumb ones ;- )
    I’ve primed the pump with a Marianne Moore,..

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Tomorrow is flag raising, not rings, right? Who is going? Man, I am tempted but cannot.

21. eddacker said, on April 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

First 3 games of the season on ESPN – WHAT!? Probably won’t be another Giants game on till next month

😦

woke each morning this week and had the Giants game with my Wheaties. Nice
    Crawdaddy gets the first xtra base hit of the season. Timmeh gets a RBI and the infield errors keep happening for the dogers. PANDA POWER with the tomahawk home run. The Admiral rattles Beckett. Posey moves from first baseman to catcher as Lincecum leaves.

GADS, I hope this series is a mini-capsule of what is to come.this season.
    Nomar, as the colour guy for ESPN is pretty good, during the eighth inning he says: “the Giants (players) know how to play this game”

22. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Opening day on the farm:
    Yusmeiro Petit goes for Fresno- who have our possible future outfield , or the future Hiroshima Toyo Carp outfield starting tonight…
    Craig Westcott goes for Richmond, Clayton Blackburn, a kid to watch, goes for San Jose..
    Maybe some records he’d rather not have: Todd Linden holds Fresno’s all-time career records in games, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, and RBI.

• Macdog said, on April 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm

This just came over on Twitter: “Clayton Blackburn with a three-pitch strikeout of Cody Ross in the fourth inning. Four scoreless for Blackburn thus far, one hit, six K’s.” No mention of where Cody’s bat ended up.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Villalona is starting at 1st and a guy I look to be that RH power bat in a couple years has a HR and double- Mac Williamson. Another kid who hasn’t received much attention is speedster OFer Rashawn Payne, 53 of 56 SB at Augusta last year with an OPB over .400.

23. DJLoo said, on April 4, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Crawford might be the unsung hero of the team. Maybe we found a solid 2 way SS fo the next few years. So what if he almost killed Blanco last night.

24. James said, on April 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm

If Crawford hits 255, my guess is that he’ll be sung about like Achilles.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, I’d say he’s plenty sung.

25. DJLoo said, on April 4, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Seems like years since I heard a word about Tim’s dad. I have a feeling they’re estranged.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I heard something awhile back about Daddy cutting the cord

• DJLoo said, on April 4, 2013 at 7:28 pm

And nobody thinks that’s part of the problem?

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Last year, Dad unleashed a profanity laden tirade about what he thought to be unfair treatment of Tim, saying people in SF were crucifying Tim over his poor season.Earlier in the year ( May) he said Tim about had it figured out. He also they don’t talk much about pitching anymore..