A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Kickham, Come On Down!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 28, 2013

It’s rare that the Giants invite a newcomer into their elite group of five. But Voggy’s injury has created the need and the Giants have turned to young Michael Kickham as his replacement. What do we know about him? Well, I’m glad you asked:

He’s 24, a 6th round pick from the 2010 June Amateur draft. I never know what to believe about listed height and weight. He’s *listed* at 6’4 220lbs. He’s also left handed so while he probably will look a little lanky out there he can’t be a very comfortable at bat. He’s got a plus fastball that will run in the low 90’s and a plus slider. His curve is average and his change-up is developing (this is all in the opinion of Marc Hulet of Fangraphs).

The K is a big part of his game (9k/9inn in 2013) but so is the walk (3.7 per 9 inning). The good news is that he’s brought his walks down from 4.5 per game last year. So he’s trending in the right direction.

I think the A’s are probably the LAST team to pitch him against for his debut at this level— combined with the almost certain nerves the kid will probably have and the A’s penchant for walking (once again, they are leading the AL in bb’s) things could start to unravel for the youngster quickly if he has trouble finding the strike zone. For some unknown reason, I remember listening to Todd Van Poppel’s mlb debut (it might have been his first start of the season, I can’t totally remember)— It was against Boston, he walked the bases loaded in the first inning and then Mo Vaughn cranked out a grand slam.

Let’s hope for better results from The Kick today. 🙂 🙂 🙂

San Dawg’s call on Kickham’s twin bro:

splitthat’s an epic pull on such a random ex-player.

1. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:27 am

Hoping for a miracle outing from the kid essentially based upon what we both said (me yesterday and you today) regarding his penchant for lack of control/walking people. He’ll need to be on top of his game today against the A’s.

2. willedav said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:45 am

Keeping the walks down would be biggest thing for Kickham to me. A’s have some guys with pop but K a ton and hit a lot of solo HRs. I don’t think it’s a particularly strong LU, but their pitching yesterday held SF to 4 hits and 1 run, which I doubt Parker is capable of.
    Get the kid a little cushion to work with and watch what you do with Cespedes. Pagan supposed to be back in the LU; hope his legs are OK.
    Small consolation, but Dubs won 2 more games vs. Spurs than Memphis (tough inside but not enough shooters) did. Somewhere I’m gonna try and find Yogi’s post disparaging Popovich for not coaching to win.

3. Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:54 am

unrelated to this thread, but seriously, who is responsible for the vetting process at Rutgers? Now the woman hired to clean up that mess turns out to have her own abusive coaching past? I would think that would be the FIRST thing that would disqualify you for consideration…….

• Irish Kevin said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:20 am

Yeah, and with all th social media out there you would think someone would have read something about this!! I guess they took her at her word.

• Macdog said, on May 28, 2013 at 12:34 pm

This is turning into high comedy here in Jersey. Seems like something new comes out every day. The latest:

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:10 pm

The president of Rutgers should be the FIRST to go, not the last. I may have posted here that I heard the AD Tim Pernetti interviewed live on the Mike Francessa Show on WFAN on one of my trips to CT. He volunteered to come on the air and sounded honest, if not foolish, to me. He put his neck on the chopping block when he said WE — the pres and I and legal counsel, etc. — reviewed the situation and made a determination blah blah. OK. Stupid decision, but I did not catch him in a lie, or not too many. THEN a few days later the president of Rutgers, Barchi??, comes out, clearly lying, saying, wow, how shocking these tapes are? Wow, what a surprise to me. Totally and complete bullshit. And yesterday in their statement Rutgers says they interviewed 63 people before they hired THIS chick, who also is clearly lying? An ex-governor of NJ, Codey, I think, had the balls to tell her to get out of Dodge. Man, I pity parents whose kids are going to Rutgers.

4. twinfan1 said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:19 am

Kickham’s BB numbers are hardly any more a concern for us than the overall numbers are for the A’s concerning A’s starter Parker. I wouldn’t consider a strong outing from Kickham to be a miracle. A big league debut is pretty much always an unknown- guys like Sadowski have shone in their first start while a Lincecum was hit hard. As I said yesterday, with both pitchers looking vulnerable for different reasons ( Parker has given up 11 HRs in 54.2 IP and sports a 1.610 WHIP, look for a tense pitching duel 😉
    Interesting happening with the platoon- Torres was at one time in danger of at least losing his his spot in the platoon, but he’s now hitting with more authority than both of our other jack rabbits. Pagan isn’t losing his spot, obviously, nor should he (if healthy), but I think Bochy will have have to look at getting more ABs for Vungo. It’s all about his legs and as long as they’re solid, he’s solid. And he’s hitting very well against RHers.

5. salty said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:07 am

Don’t know why I remember this, but In addition to Sadowski, there were the auspicious debuts of Bill Laskey and Mike Remlinger, both who threw complete game shutouts.

• willedav said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:23 am

Pretty sure I saw Mark Davis do the same, maybe vs. LA.

• twinfan1 said, on May 28, 2013 at 11:01 am

Then there was Matt Palmer, who Old Seals Fan seemed to think was Arnold Palmer, or Jim Palmer, or Lilli Palmer…

6. snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hope the kid does well. But, he’s not a super strike thrower yet, apparently. That’s a problem in a debut against the A’s — they take, take, take, which is what I wish the Giants would do more. Plus he won’t get the benefit of an NL park with the pitcher hitting. If he goes 5 it’ll be a big success. Part of these marathon AL games is that the batters can just take and take pitches — there’s no pitcher in the lineup so nobody in the lower LU holes has to stretch the zone a little to get a hit or move the line along…

• twinfan1 said, on May 28, 2013 at 11:07 am

The A’s starter has issues as well. Kickham may or not have a stellar debut, but off of his recent outings in the hitter friendly PCL, his odds are better than he’s being given here. IMO.

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:42 am

If Marlon Brando could decline an Academy Award [insert trademark], may I decline POTD? Really, Zumiee’s 10:52 am of May 27, albeit on the “Most Exciting Game” thread, trumps mine easily.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:46 am

It’s his portrait of being at the Halicki no-hitter game and the game before it. Gold, as we say.

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:43 am

Kickhamstarter.com — for pitcherpreneurs!

9. Macdog said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:51 am

For those outside the Bay Area: You can watch Kickham’s debut as Giants-A’s is the MLB.TV Free Game tonight.

• eddacker said, on May 28, 2013 at 1:41 pm

woo hoo, nice! late, but still very nice 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm

wow! awesome; thanks, John. I just threw in my 2 cents about Rutgers up above. A mess.

10. snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 11:31 am

Interesting, short article on the increase in called strike outs in recent years. An indictment of the umps, again. I doubt if I’m the only one, but my main beef with umps and strike zones is the other way. There are some umps that apparently find it painful to call a pitch a strike. It has to be perfect in their little one foot square zone or whatever it is, otherwise it’s a ball. That’s not baseball. The pitcher has to have the ability to throw a called strike that is tough to hit. These umps with strike zones the size of a dinner plate are ridiculous and must be disciplined, IMO…

• unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2013 at 11:46 am

Well, it’s not even that. It’s the fact that the strike zone applies to different times in an AB. I’ve seen plenty of borderline pitches get called strikes in a 3-0 count, yet that same pitch in the same AB is a ball in a 3-2 count.

11. snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 11:53 am

Pablo may be looking better in street clothes, but he’s been down the tubes at the plate. 7 for his last 37. As #3 LU hitter, he needs to pick it up…

• twinfan1 said, on May 28, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Every starter has had slumps. His track record makes him one to have very little concern about.

12. twinfan1 said, on May 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm

As per Henry (good post), only Nathan and Sadowski have won their big league debuts as starters in the Sabean years. Zito won his big league debut with the A’s in 2000.

• salty said, on May 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm

That’s surprising that only 10 have made their debut since 97.

13. Alleykat said, on May 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm

unrelated to the blog but I just had a Kickham ass time up at Chico for my daughter(Callie) graduation from college.
    It was an awesome day and the party after was a sight to behold.Animal House with a pool.
    Shots of tequila ( shot glasses glued to an old sno ski set up for 4 people at a time drinking was tremendous. Kat held his own to all the young whippersnappers!!! 2 kegs of dos XX amber as well for beer bongs etc….

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Now, that sounds like some party. Congratulations Kat on your daughter graduating!

• Alleykat said, on May 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Thanks Blade!!
        Couldn’t of been prouder of her.Tears of joy followed by a kickass party with all of her graduating friends and parents presence was really special.They do it right up at Chico St..

• Irish Kevin said, on May 28, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Kat held his own with all the young whippersnappers, if that is true how did Kat feel the next day? ha ha I know when I try (rarely) to keep up with my son and his buddies the next day they are all energy and ready to start again, where as I am laying on the couch hoping I can be productive sometime during the day!!
      Congratulations on your daughter graduating.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

That’s a major reason why I quit drinking years ago . . . My mind said I could hang, but my body wouldn’t “cash the check.”*

*Sorry for mixing metaphors. 🙂

14. eddacker said, on May 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm

And my youngest is still up to things in his new job in doger territory:
    “I went to a Fiction Family show tonight, wearing my Giants hat. After their song “Give Me Back My Girl” (where Jon Foreman sings about Los Angeles and says “You can have the Dodgers, just give me back my girl”) he pointed right at me and said, “I see we have one Giants fan in here tonight.” The whole place began booing me, and in my excitement I yelled, “That’s me!” Thankful, I turned to Jon and yelled, “Thanks Jon!” to which he replied, “You’re welcome?”

sometimes being a dad so far away is lonely, but stories like this keep me happy.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Very cool story Ed. Loved it!

15. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, we had a pretty cool party at St. Mary’s for my daughters graduation as well. Gorgeous sunny day, lots of happy kids, and lots of happy parents wandering around stealing each others’ food and drink. Then went to dinner in Lafayette for more food and drink.

• unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm

As long as I stick to beer, I can hang. Throw in anything else and it’s all over . . .

• salty said, on May 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Postino by any chance?

• snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I went to a wedding reception there once, and a subsequent dinner separately about a year later, in it’s prior restaurant incarnation — it was called Tourelle before Postino. Definitely a while ago,before Cat Cora started there as Exec Chef. It was good food way back then, maybe still is. Great “atmosphere”, too…

• unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2013 at 3:27 pm

No, some place called Metro. Unimpressed, to say the least.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I think I told you my niece Graduated from there last year, she was there cause she has friends that graduated. She would have been one stealing drinks, ha ha just kidding. Anyway congratulations to your daughter. you were lucky the weather was cool. last year it was sooo hot.

16. salty said, on May 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Don’t know how they rank academically but Chico State has always been among the elite party schools.

17. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Spent Pioneer Week there when I turned 21 (1982). To this day I don’t know what went down.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 28, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Those were the days!! ha ha

18. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm

In a fantasy league I’m in, I have Matt Kemp on my team. I have been in 1st place despite him being putrid for the entire year. That is an amazing situation, when you consider he was rated one of the top 5 players of the game for this year and yet, has performed at 781 ranking for the league (average stats) thus far. I have two other outfielders, Lorenzo Cain and Coco Crisp that have been excellent this year (especially Cain), yet the day that I replace Kemp with either of them, that will probably be the day Kemp breaks out for an epic game. He obviously has lost strength due to his surgery, as he only has 2 bombs this season.

19. twinfan1 said, on May 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm

1. Gregor Blanco (L) CF

2. Marco Scutaro (R) DH

3. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

4. Buster Posey (R) C

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

7. Andres Torres (S) LF

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Nick Noonan (L) 2B

20. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Naah, didn’t know that, AK. Man, I love that campus. Seems like yesterday I dropped her off at her dorm (Aquinas) as a freshman. Time went by real fast . . . Seeing as it’s such a small campus, I’m sure my daughter knows your niece . . .

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Chuck, I saw some pics on FB of her graduation– she looks like she’s got a lot of personality, lol.
      Congrats, I remember when you said she was going there (probably on the Splash). It doesn’t seem like it’s been 4 years.
      As I get older and watch my daughter grow and start to comprehend all of the new costs I am and will be absorbing (financially and otherwise) I am in awe of parents who actually have kids who make it through life and college successfully.
      Katie’s 10 now…
      I truly fear the journey ahead that you and your wife have already taken but seeing pics like the ones you posted on FB make me feel a little more at ease.
      Again, congrats to you, her and your family.

21. Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 6:17 pm

It’s funny how time plays tricks on your memory. The Boney One (my best bud since 8th grade) read today’s thread and texted me that I didn’t, in fact, listen to the Van Popple game. He said he was listening to it in the UCSC library and later called to tell me about it–he said I laughed and laughed until he finally hung up on me.
    Oh well, at least we both remembered the game.

22. SanDawg said, on May 28, 2013 at 6:24 pm

…since we’ve got a couple of college graduation party stories thrown out there, I’ll toss mine in the ring as well. My sister hosted a party in her building (where Pablo and others live). Its a nice place and we got after it good with many shots of Patron and various Mexican beers. My son and his friends then headed out to Dave’s on 3rd? while the adults stayed behind. Then I got a text from my son saying they were all going to Vertigo on Polk and invited the adults to join. Several of us did and it was quite a scene. More shots and beers and even some pot smoking—in the actual crowded bar with no patrons or employees batting an eye. Only in SF! Then over to the Ha-Ra to close out the evening. Last song of the night on the jukebox was “Estranged” by Guns n Roses—a tune I hadn’t heard in years that came out of the blue and sounded great.
    Yeah, we were all a step slow at the game the next day, but it was T-shirt weather and a pretty fun game to watch. Also had the best seats I’ve ever had at ATT—1st row of the club level just off home plate. Foul balls coming to our area all day. Flemm and Miller in the box just a bit behind us and a clear shot of Willie Mac in his booth as well. At one point a guy caught a foul ball with his hat. I was going for the same ball and came damn close to getting my hand on it. I also gotta admit the Zito bobblehead looks pretty cool. It may take up residence in my office.

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 6:32 pm

By the way, while I was busy gushing about Chuck’s job on sheparding his daughter thru college I should have given you a shout too. Well done.
      But I refuse to believe you were taking shots and beers all night till after we make it through a round of golf w/o you damn near passing out on me after 3 beers. Lol.

23. paulinasia said, on May 28, 2013 at 6:37 pm

James, to your query a thread or two ago, yeah, I remember Quah, although I didn’t remember the name of that album til you mentioned it. It was one of my favs, and alas, it’s long gone. Maybe I’ll look for the CD when I’m back in the US this summer. When the Airplane became the Starship, I stopped following them, although that first Jeff Starship album was pretty good (David Crosby sang on it too, if I remember correctly… “have you seen the stars tonight”… ) but after that, they sold out to arena rock. That’s when I followed Jorma’s path through Hot Tuna and his solo stuff. Grace and Kantner and Balin always got the accolades, but I thought Jorma was the heart of that band.

Oh, and, here’s hoping for a little Kick-ass today. Giants need to start taking more series and doing less win-four then lose-three, etc…. IMO…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm

don’t remember Quah

• James said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Worth tracking down,m if Jorma is your bag. Singing along perfectly to his flat nasally vocals while doing a lousy imitation of the ragtime finger picking is a unique pleasure.

24. sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 6:40 pm

In my defense, it was hot as hades that day and I was wearing a black shirt.
    I will redeem myself in September!!

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Haha I was gonna say that in my post but thought it would be better if you twisted in the wind a bit.
      It was rediculously hot. Still, I was definitely the designated 9-1-1 caller had things gotten any worse for either of us. 🙂
      September 7th!

25. zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:02 pm

There was a little news note about Lincecum having sprained his ankle in the celebration after Pagan’s inside the park HR, but supposedly he threw a side session OK. All of us fans just cringe during those celebrations; they’ve become so stupid. Watching the D-Backs walk-off win in the second game of the DH yesterday, after they had pummeled the poor guy who got the winning hit, one of the D-Backs picked up the pitcher’s rosin bag and fired it into the guy’s back. Why? Why?
    —–
    Somehow the Cardinals will have to overcome the burden of having the Royals as their geographic rival opponent yet again season.

• snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Totally agree. These celbrations are friggin stoopid, out of control. When did these things start, BTW?…

26. snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I was in Oakland the other day in the late afternoon, so I stopped in at the Pacific Coast Brewing Company brewpub downtown for a pint or two. Hadn’t been in there for dogs years. Anyway, I ended up meeting a handful of guys from about 45-60 years old down at the end of the bar, including a dude from Ireland, and we drank and watched the Sharks beat the Kings for about 2 hours. I ended up having a bite of dinner and 4 pints. Four. It was good stuff, I had the Killer Whale stout, mostly. I haven’t packed away that much brew at one sitting for a while. One of the dudes, the oldest guy, had some ganga and offered everybody a bit to smoke outside — that’s California for you. He was an Old Blue, of course, so we talked some Berkeley talk. I didn’t partake, figured 4 pints was enough. I didn’t feel too bad the next morning. Enjoyed the brew and some adult male company talking about everything and nothing for two hours, it was fun…

• sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Sounds great. I don’t think that scene, or mine, would play out in Southern Cal. Very much a Northern Cal type deal IMO. Not that we smoke less weed down here, its just that there seems to be more law enforcement and law awareness down here.
      Speaking of quality beer, I played some tennis with my sister at the Jackson Park Rec Center on Friday. Right across the street from the Anchor Steam brewery, which puts outs a nice aroma over the neighborhood. Even a Miller High Life guy like me can appreciate that. I even went so far as to buy a round of A-Steams in plastic bottles at ATT Sunday at $9.75 a pop.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Didn’t Brian Wilson win his first game as a CG starter? It may not have been his debut technically, but I recall he came in and won a complete game, and I’d never heard of him before the game.

28. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Kickham some ass! (This guy HAS to stick, just for the hed writers.)

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

So Kickham’s family being there has to provide the sort of mojo Dirrrty’s dad provided? (It’s such a treat to see the game free via MLB.)

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:53 pm

For whatever reason, I can’t get the game on MLB. Koz isn’t on either (ordering a part for his pc and wont be back until tomorrow). Damn.

30. sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Did the Giants swing a deal for Paul Splittorff? I think he’s on the mound for us tonight.

• James said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Nice. I believe we haven’t had a lefty goober with glasses since the glory days of John Curtis.

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Diggity, that is pure, unadulterated gold. I’ll post his baseball card in the main thread. Twin could do it faster in the comment section but he’s not here and I don’t know how to do it!

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm

What I know about Paul Spittorff I couldn’t fit into a sock–cause I’d never heard of him. I just looked him up. He won 20 games in ’73?
        That’s a little before my time to truly appreciate him.
        One guy on the planet pulled Spittorff out tonight as a Kickham clone.
        One.

• sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Do think Loo is lurking anywhere out there? He’d appreciate the Splittorff reference.
        I actually remember those Royals teams pretty well from their epic battles in the LCS with the Yankees in the 70’s.

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I remember Freddy Patek and UL Washington and his toothpick. That’s about it.
        No, I think Loo is gone.

31. Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Well he’s already ahead of Todd V after an inning. I love when they show the nervous family in these “first starts”. Great theater.

32. zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Pretty funny Giants slogan from the mid-1980s in that TV commercial. “Giants…..hang in there!” Sums up the mid-’80s Giants well.

33. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:06 pm

God only knows how it’s in my head, but I find no evidence that Brian Wilson ever started. Can’t imagine whom I was recalling in that era. C’mon, Kickstand.

• sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I remember at least one Wilson start. I’d be willing to wager a round of ATT Anchor Steams that he started at least one game for us.

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’m not taking that bet but I don’t recall him throwing a complete game, ever. And anyone chiming in can’t google it.

• sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I’m not signing on for the complete game, only that he started. I want to say it was not a great performance.

• James said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I don’t recall hm starting. I do remember a few outings where he might have reached the Rockies’ 75 pitch limit.

34. sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Yikes. That went south in a hurry. “Kickstand” is good stuff, Pawlie.

• zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I guess it’s back to Fresno. They’re not going to give him another start in SF for quite a while.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’m not so sure of that. Maybe I’m naive or just pulling for the kid from the Midwest. #wholesome

35. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Well, so much for “kickstand.” Pffffft! Next . . .

36. zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:17 pm

There was nothing good about the D-Backs winning both games of that double-header yesterday, but I did think it was a little amusing that the Dodgers won their game and still lost ground to firstplace.

37. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Man, the kid was not awful but it was like, “Son, this is the bigs.” You might sail through a LU once; then they adjust. It was a textbook intro to how different things are at the MLB level. If I’m Righetti, I tell him: “You had some great pitches, showed real poise. Learn from it. Nice job.”

38. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I’m watching the yellow dots on GameCast . . . any idea why the one yellow dot (Kontos) is out after a few pitches and a new yellow dot (Lopez) is in??????????? Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂

• zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Bochy went righty/lefty match-ups. It worked. Hope this one doesn’t go extra innings, though. (grin)

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Ahh . . . OK, the yellow dot (Lopez) struck out the red dot (Smith). All is right in GameCast again. 🙂

39. Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Has Bochy checked the fucking inning? Kontos gone after 1 batter in the 3rd?

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Shit, yer watching it live and don’t know what the fuck is goin’ on . . . Now that is fucking funny.

40. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Does anyone recall Kontos or even more so Lopez coming in this early? Agreed, the bleeding had to stop. But where’s Mota when we need him? It’d be awfully sweet to see our hitters erupt for three runs and save Kix from a loss.

41. James said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Based on what I saw, I’ll boldly declare that as the 5th starter Kickham could probably give the team an ERA below 7.19.

42. paulinasia said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I remember Splittorf if for no other reasons a) he had my first name, and b) when Howard Cosell was doing games, he always said “split off”. Don’t know why, but that’s what stuck in my head. Well, I guess the kid didn’t do so hot, although really not any worse than most of the other starters at any point this season. Hello, Derek Lowe?

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:28 pm

You remember, “when Howard Cosell was doing games, he always said “split off?” Unfrickin’ believable Pawlie. You and Jerry Lucas should go on the road memorizing and reciting telephone books at night clubs.

• sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I remember watching a game Howie was doing when George Foster was a total bad-ass. Cosell made the crack “…and to think they had to give up Frank Duffy to get him.” —which was a shot at the Giants.
        Pissed me off then and still pisses me off today.

• paulinasia said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, huh, Steve. I start walking down the hall and I completely forget where I was going, but I remember Cosell saying split-off. Go figure.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:37 pm

To paraphrase a deceased Giants fan I met on the Number 7 train to Shea, “George Foster never hit a significant home run in his life.” (Believe it or not, this fellow alleged it of Hank Aaron.)

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I can’t remember what I ate yesterday, much less what happened last week. Well, I am definitely going to follow up on an appointment at the Dementia institute. Writing myself a Post It note right now. 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:38 pm

You sure it wasn’t merely Cosell’s New Yawk accent? (Did you know Cosell was a lawyer?)

• paulinasia said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Oh, it was definitely Howard’s New Yawk accent. Growing up in Joisey, I knew it well. Split-off sounded perfectly normal…

43. zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Breaking news: the L.A. Angels suck.

44. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I mean, honestly, if Coco Crisp’s agent has any value whatsoever he would’ve secured an endorsement with Kellogg’s.

45. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Rivera just blew a save . . . Finally. Mets are now tied with the Yanks. This snippet was provided by Chevron Oil Company.

46. Flavor said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Bochy must think he’s in a 7 inning little league game. I hope Gaudin can go at least 4 after Bochy blew Kontos and Lopez on 2 fucking batters in the 3rd…

47. Macdog said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:41 pm

And Mo takes the loss to finish the Mets’ mini-sweep.

48. paulinasia said, on May 28, 2013 at 8:52 pm

As I’m only “seeing” this game on Gameview, I don’t know, but… it looks like our offense has entered a rather boring phase again. C’mon, Pawlie, get the mojo goin’… we score, we ………

49. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Seeing Gaudin for the first time, I’m reminded of a guy we had last year, former Padre, big-time first half…sucked near the end. Evaporated. Desaparecidos, amigos.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:03 pm

can’t even recall his name, but someone here will; another, was a guy in 2010 whose name is on the back of my shirt; it’ll come to me

• sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Clay Hensley

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Chris Ray was the 2010 Disappeared. Did I tell you girls that this game is AWFUL? Pure unadulterated dreck?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:11 pm

yes, Hensley, the former quasi-, would be member of the Eagles, not quite. The Giants get one run here or I rendezvous with my pillow, the unsurrealistic one. Magnus, did you go to Gunn HS in Palo Alto? Just read about how people do everything they can to get their kids in there, in The New Yorker. Did I tell you how irritating this came has become? So far? Hint. Hint.

50. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Fuck. The Mausoleum strikes again. I hate the fucking place.

51. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Maybe we can get something started here. Come on Pablo . . .

52. sandog said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I’m off the bed–still recovering from closing Ha-Ra the other night. If you get bored and have 10 minutes to spare, check out “Estranged” by G n R. Cool song to end a helluva day and close a dive bar on Geary St.
    I think even Zumie,–who would probably rather listen to Glen Beck interview Chris Christie than listen to a Guns n Roses song, would admit there are times when this song isn’t that bad.

• tedspe said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Appreciate it, sandog but…it’s still Axl Rose
      Prick Extraordinaire and nasally annoying

• James said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I’m still amazed they covered a Peter Laughner song.

• zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I didn’t own any of their albums, but I thought they were a good band. But they seemed in danger of jumping the shark pretty quickly, and maybe “November Rain” is that shark-jump. And then Izzy left the band, and he seems like the glue that was holding things together.

53. TedSpe said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Weird thing. Because it’s the Bay Bridge Series and I have Xfiniti or Comcast or Spendmoremoneyassholedipshit to my availability, I decided to watch this game watching the A’s channel (CNSCA) as opposed to my usual Giants channel (CSNBA) and watch this game from their perspective.
    It’s…aight. Mainly neutral and fair. But they brought up Vogies injury as a claim to the DH (I know Nipper loves that argument) but, as tactful as they were…still kinda…meh

54. snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Well, I thought it a minor miracle if the kid lasted 5. He didn’t. But, I’d give him another couple of tries, including one at home in ATT. I’m cooking a chateaubriand in between cleaning the kitchen, saving the cooked meat for a tomorrow cold dinner. The Snarkettes are in a foul mood tonite, they can feel the two weeks before the end of school, and its getting to them. The older one feels the end of middle school, and onto high school in the fall. She’s alternatively quiet, and circumspect, then frowning; sometimes she acknowledges me as father. I give thanks for the minimal recognition, and head for a Makers injection for encouragement….

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2013 at 6:06 am

This is funny stuff . . . “The older one feels the end of middle school, and onto high school in the fall. She’s alternatively quiet, and circumspect, then frowning; sometimes she acknowledges me as father. I give thanks for the minimal recognition, and head for a Makers injection for encouragement….”

Regarding the kid – Yeah, I called for a miracle too and God apparently had already maxed out his Miracle quota for the day.

55. tedspe said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Really??!! I too am cooking a chateaubriand in between cleaning the kitchen, saving the cooked meat for a tomorrow cold dinner. Une zen I am freezing an ala whetta junta ala whetta ala whetta junta ala won. Iz forcinimal un amie un ami vo se bian.
    Unless my shitter..uhm…toilet acts up again

• snarkk said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Leiter, verstehe Ich daB gar nicht…

56. zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 9:59 pm

The mind wanders during this game tonight. I’m suddenly thinking of the movie “Avalon.”

“What was that movie about a stagecoach?”
    -“Stagecoach.”
    “It had a stagecoach in it.”
    -“Stagecoach.”
    “I remember it was something about a stagecoach.”
    -“Stagecoach….”

“You don’t know how to play the piano, but you can LEARN!”

“You can go to the restroom, but you may not.”

• tedspe said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Nice

57. tedspe said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:06 pm

CRAZY MAN PENCE!!!!!!!!!

58. tedspe said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm

“Mutiny on the Bus” It was a B-Movie. Allen Jenkins played the bus driver
    Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

59. zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Oh, the 1950s can make a person chuckle when they need a chuckle.

60. zumiee said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I’m guessing Blanco won’t be batting lead-off tomorrow. Blanco’s been sliding into the Nate Schierholz law of the universe- ‘the more he plays, the worse he gets.’

61. Macdog said, on May 28, 2013 at 10:39 pm

This was one of those nights when reading the Flap was way more entertaining than the game itself.

62. snarkk said, on May 29, 2013 at 1:07 am

Dr. Lewis Yocum, big time purveyor of fixing pitchers’ arms with the TJ surgery, passes away. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/05/28/lewis-yocum-surgeon-for-stephen-strasburg-jordan-zimmermann-and-others-passes-away/