A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Smallest of Small Worlds…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 8, 2013

I promised the blog a story that would blow minds and I will make good on that promise. First, let’s have some fun with numbers. It will help us later when we try to set odds on the chances of this unprecedented turn of events happening in real life….

There are 29,541 students who go to SF State in The City.

There were a few less than that at Flapalooza 3.0. Ten Flap vets made it out to the yard last night with a couple of significant others in tow……

Two of those 10 were these guys:

blownmind

On the left is San Dawg from San Diego. On the right is UncaChuck from the Bay Area. Neither of these guys have ever met each other or spoken to each other before yesterday.

And now, to the story:

Chuck was the last of the Flappers to walk into the Public House around 4 o’clock or so. He walked up and said “Flav!” and I recognized him from Facebook and other places I’d seen his picture. We go around the table and introduce each other. When he gets to San Dawg, Chuck said: “Hey, don’t I recall you saying at the Flap that your son goes to SF State?”

“Indubitably. Nice memory. In fact, he just graduated this year.”

“No kidding?” Chuck said. “Hey, MY DAUGHTER just graduated from SF State this year, too!”

We all had a hearty chuckle about this unlikely coincidence and most of the table fired off the requisite “small world!” comment….

Great story, right?

Um, except that’s not what happened. That was an alternate ending I wrote to keep myself steady as I picked up the pieces of my brain that were blown and scattered all over Marty Lurie’s laptop after I watched the actual story unfold in front of me. Sit down, take a few deep breaths, and read on……

______________________________________

Chuck shows up last and we go around the table introducing ourselves. When he gets to Diggity he goes, “Hey, is your last name K__________?” San Dawg has a fairly unusual last name and I’m protecting it from the masses. But he goes, “yeah, that’s my last name.”

“Oh, I saw it on an email chain last night that had all the details of Flapalooza 3.0.,” says Chuck.  “I’ve got another question for you.”

“Uh, ok,” San Dawg cautiously replies.

“Do you have a son named Matt?”

“Yep, Matt is my son,” says San Dawg.

“Oh yeah? Well that means that YOUR son has been dating MY daughter for the last couple of months!”

Now as I’m watching this surreal scene develop I start thinking “there’s no way this is for real” and I interjected with “Ok, you guys are just fucking with me right? You set this up just to blow my mind, right?”

Nope. It was all true. Two Flap vets who have only casually interacted on my blog over the last few years, who have never met in person and who live 600 miles away from each other have kids who are dating each other. And they discovered this during the first minute of meeting each other for the first time.

Insane…….

There were many other rad things about last night that I’ll recount later today, but I wanted this story to stand alone.

__________________________________

some of you guys have indicated you’d like a custom Flap shirt. Snarkk has generously offered to coordinate that for you, all you have to do is email me with your contact info and he’ll be in touch. Trust me, they are very good quality shirts and 1 of a kind. I hope FerretHead reads this! Obviously, your handle would go on the back, not mine.

my email is bigflavor77@gmail.com

__________________________________

I really like this pic:

silo

1. Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 6:27 am

here’s a video of Pawlie’s interview with Marty Lurie that’s threatening to go viral today. The sound quality kinda sucks. Blade is in the back rockin’ the orange sombrero

2. Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 6:58 am

My top 10 Moments from Flapalooza 3.0 (besides just pulling this off, meeting everyone, etc).

#1 was the organic discovery of the blossoming relationship between young Matt and the fair maiden Allison.
    #2 was a surprise gift from Snark et al. They had created Flap Uni’s complete with each of our handles on the back. I had more than one stranger inside the park yell “Hey Big Flavor!” at me. Epic. The front of the jersey is the “We Score We Win” mantra taken literally from the sign created by Ferrethead. These were no half-assed Zazzle tee shirts–they are fantastic quality and it was an amazingly creative gift that I’ll never forget. Anyway, wearing a team jersey made our storming of AT&T that much more imposing……
    #3 was watching Pawlie get interviewed by Marty Lurie
    #4 was the video that San Dawg took of me opening up my hot dog.
    #5 was the rad usher who favored our group and was looking for opportunities to seat us in a row of seats that weren’t ours–not sure if they teach that move at usher school or if she just really, really liked us.
    #8 was Blade wearing the sombrero all game
    #9 was admiring all the spectacular racks on prominent display in the heat at the Public House
    #10 was the moment where James finally broke down and admitted that he secretly agrees with all of us that the hitting has been worse than the pitching this year.

ok, one of those 10 didn’t actually happen. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• WilcoJoe said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:36 am

Ha! Love number 7 and 10!

• eddacker said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:08 am

It is too bad that #9 didn’t happen because that should totally be possible in sunny San Francisco Saturday weather in August.

3. WilcoJoe said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:00 am

Haven’t had a chance to check Pawlie’s video or browse thru the pictures, but that story is indeed mind blowing…I just read it out loud to my wife and in laws this morning….I think this just goes to show that this blog can NEVER shut down.

• Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:15 am

bummed you missed it. Next year!

4. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:18 am

Just my take, but there were at least a half dozen “What The Fuck” things which occurred at the Flapalooza game that could be threads. None of these incidents had anything to do with the game. 😉

The entire day and evening was absolutely awesome! I finally met James, San Dawg, Zumiee, Pawlie (we had only Skyped and chatted over the phone before), Gail (Chi’s wonderful girl friend – don’t lose her Chi!) and Unca Chuck. All of you are numero uno in my book!

5. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:23 am

I lost my voice cheering yesterday. I’m not certain if it was cheering for Pawlie during his Marty Lurie interview or the Giants. Toss up.

• unca_chuck said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

It certainly wasn’;t the hitting you were cheering! Hell of a good time last night that had NOTHING to do with the game. I talked to Allisoin when I got home from the game last night, and she was sufficiently freaked out by the whole thing! She said, you knew Matt’s dad (through the blog) before I met Matt!!

• tedspe said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:11 am

Much to my disgrace, I missed the game. But after reading about it in the paper this morning, my guess is your raspy throttle was from the Pawlie interview

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:41 am

Glad you made it to the Public House though . . . It was good to see ya Ted! I told Pawlie that if not for the play you were going to be in later in the evening, you might have tipped a few with us and then the fireworks would have begun, e.g., your impressions on hilarious (but I suspect you don’t do them until you “grease” your brain housing unit with a couple of beverages). 🙂

6. tedspe said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:16 am

————————————————————————————————————–
    I’ve learned and accepted long ago that Zumie lives on a different plain than the rest of us. And I mean that in a good way. To him, it’s like saying the sun rose this morning

7. willedav said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:33 am

Flap world really is amazing…

8. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:38 am

In the “Who doesn’t come across the same on the blog as they do in person?” category, I nominate Oliver (James). Loved the guy in person! By the by, this doesn’t mean I think he is a fuckwad (to use an old Twin euphemism) online. He just comes across as . . . umm, analytical (grin) here. Seriously, James was a joy to chat with, as were all of the Flappers at the game.

In the “Who comes across the same on the blog as they do in person?” category – hands down, it’s Peter (San Dawg). Dude is hilarious in person, as he is online. Also, Flav is spot on when he says San Dawg is his brother from another mother . . . The similarities are mind boggling.

I will think up other “categories” during the day . . . 😉

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:46 am

true; and Zumie is a totem pole of casual genius, and SanDawg and Magnus should NEVER go to Thailand, and…Snarkk is NOT snarky …and I’m too tired to go on. I should be sleeping, but too tired.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:50 am

Are you still hoofing it across the Golden Gate bridge today? Like you, I was exhausted when I got home. My poor dogs (feet) are bone tired from walking and standing all day. Other than the 2 minutes we sat in those seats the usher scored for us, before getting 86ed – sitting down was not much of an option yesterday.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:50 am

see below

9. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:50 am

Your Top 10 missed a few:

— Steve’s momentary trip to Thailand via a deep spiritual-physical encounter with an agitated female fan avec huge rack

— Meeting “BeerCan”

— Deirdre with her Twin Peaks (38s) buying WORLD SERIOUS

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:53 am

I will always maintain at least the veneer of “plausible deniability” with regard to fondling that young blond’s . . . umm, mammary. At least, I didn’t do it intentionally. Sort of . . .

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:55 am

I was channeling Paulinasia. 😉

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:03 am

Steve, I publicly and fully admit that this story may be enhanced by my addled, active, and hungry imagination EXCEPT that Snarkk attested to it with an oral affidavit.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:06 am

Like all shyster lawyers, he can be bought.

10. Alleykat said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Wow i wish i could of made (Flapalooza3.0 probably my alcohol level after this storied event on Orange Sombero day!!! 🙂
    Flappers,”Rocked it”,knowing tip of the sombero approval
    Yeah Chuck & SanDawg bizzare connection with their kids top’s the cake!
    Salute to BF putting it together!
    And damm Snarkk..Killer T-shirts handles on back,Bravo!!!
    Would of dug an Alleykat one.My loss damm it!!!!!
    And James,possible breakdown over stats,pitchers or hitting collapse for this season im sure would have been something to see.LOL

• tedspe said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:03 am

We’re still awaiting James’ analysis on the cosmic odds of the Unca Chuck/SanDawg serendipity

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:04 am

Ted, you missed Steve’s Stroll Down Bangkok’s Memory Lane. See above.

11. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:08 am

I hope the women folk (Gail, Chuck’s wife and daughter, other daughters . . . and mothers, wifes, etc.) are not reading this blog.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:11 am

ever…except for FerretHead — one of us, and missed — but whose sign is on the shirt

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

Some of you may have missed it, so to add to the SanDawg-Chuck cosmic long-odds weird discovery, see my post of 8:21am yesterday, copied here [cue Twilight Zone music AGAIN]:

Here’s the simple version of my “it is written” episode last night. [I think Omar Sharif’s character in “Lawrence of Arabia” uses that phrase.] I go to the A’s game, late, to add it to my last of ballparks. 22nd? Section 316, way up, back of plate. Stadium reminds me of Tropicana Field, and that is not an architectural bow. Anyway, during game I’m watching the Giants game on the scoreboard. 2-0, through 5, 6, 7. I’m texting Necklace Lady, whom I met at Finnerty’s in January at WS trophy tour. She assumed I was texting from OUR game. I said no. “Are you following what’s happening?” she asks. “Um, are you trying to tell me something that we might be superstitious about?” She clues me in, still rather indirectly, but noting that K&K already broke the taboo. 8th inning. 9th. She asked, “Are they showing it in Oakland?” “You kidding? Seems like I’m the only one who knows.” Then 5 or 6 rows in back, a guy w/ his son yells, “I knew I should’ve gone! Wrong game!” I walk toward him. While Necklace Lady is texting me updates and we are on the last batter, 2 outs, and I approach this fellow with an interest in the Giants game, who is listening w/ earbuds, and I’m getting confused w/ his shoutouts and Necklace’s texts, and time delays on phones versus radio, and is it a Perfecto?, and I hear, “PAUL! Paul.” What? There’s a lot of Pauls in the world. Is someone calling my name? “Paul. It’s Tike.” (I know only one Tike.) Simultaneously as I learn the Perfecto is being broken, a guy I learn later is named Pat calls up the action live on his phone. It’s all crazy. The dude in back of me, whom I approached? Holy mackerel! You know how I’m always accosting people with Giants gear on in Syracuse or Pittsburgh or Atlanta or Charlotte or Philly or Parsippany? (It is hard to adjust here in SF. I mean, calm down, Pawlie; we’re all here in this together, we’re in San Francisco itself, son. The Giants Homeland Zone. A Giants hat is NOT a novelty.) Anyway, I met this guy Tike and his family last year, in June, as I was buying tix in fecking ATLANTA. He’s in WORLD SERIOUS. Wow.

• eddacker said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:24 am

I remember you mentioning that to Marty, tre bien old cocks, well done bit for SF Giants fandom everywhere.
      So many magical things coming together: SF State, The City by the Bay, phone park, the team that plays the game I love, flappers, chapeaux d’orange.

voilà, c’est magique

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:20 am

I really should be sleeping. I am so tired I am sore. When the police and paramedic suggested I just take the 14 bus all the way out on Mission, Zumie said he was parked on Mission. I could walk the”several blocks” with him. He’s about 6’7″. Good security. Sure. Several blocks? Um, my feet today say, at least a mile. But that was destined to be, and well worth it, because we had a great chat. I got to know this quietly brilliant almond farmer. Very cool. The 14 bus ride was 45 minutes, or more. But fun and odd. Not least having me wearing an orange sombrero with true sombrero people. Young people going clubbing in what look to be tawdry, dingy, dark, dreary, possibly dangerous “cocktail lounges” straight out of the Rat Pack era, at least looking from the marguees! What a world. Off the bus. Fog. Walk. Home. What. a. day.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

Pawlie, I love this post. Almond farmer? Zumiee can answer this question – Don’t almonds take a couple of decades to mature before bearing fruit (nuts)?

So Pawlie, what time did you hit the rack last night?

Me? As some of you are aware, I drove Flavor home, sort of . . . he wanted to be let off somewhere along Page Mill road, not his house. For you people that don’t know where Page Mill road is or what it is like – it is a dark, desolate road in the Los Altos hills area. Frankly, thoughts of Flavor being some sort of 6’6″ giant Ted Bundy went through my mind. Plenty of areas to dump bodies where they likely aren’t found for months, if not years. Minimally, I was concerned about getting back on the main drag of Highway 280 from this area. Anywho, I got home at a fairly reasonable hour. 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

Gawd, I don’t know. 1? I am awake bc my body is crying dry tears for lack of sleep but sitting in my rented room not able to sleep. Family is having breakfast in next room. I want to walk the GGB w/ my friend Bobby. My feet hurt. Who cares, though, right? This is living.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:58 am

Do it dude. You will love it (despite what Zum said about vertigo).

• Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 10:23 am

Just be glad all you had to do was turn around. You would have had a hard time getting back to 280 w/o a GPS.
        Thanks again for the ride

14. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:21 am

By the by, everyone who was at the game yesterday and whom still haven’t chimed in this morning, please post . . . If only to let us know that you are not in a SF bay area jail . . . If that isn’t possible, shoot a post here after you are released on “OR” or bail.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:48 am

Good idea. Heck, are James and Snarkk still drinking that postgame wrap-up???

15. Bozo said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:52 am

“#6 was when I had to periodically mop up Ted’s head–it was HOT out at the Public House yesterday!”

Mopping up TedSpe’s head is now an image that I won’t soon forget. Sounds like a great time and I hope Unca_Charlie told Dawg, dude, your son is dating my daughter, we need to talk.
    Cheers all.

16. WilcoJoe said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:57 am

I was going to ask…Did any of you “post game” it afterward?

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

Joe, snarkk and James did I believe. Probably the reason they have not posted yet. Like I said earlier, they probably both ran out of scratch to pay bail (or their nefarious character wouldn’t allow the justice of the peace to release them on OR). 🙂

17. twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 10:02 am

i know page mill road, and if i’m ever to meet craig, i hope it’s not there. wahooooooooooooooooooooo….
    looking forward to getting merna’s shirt- i ordered an x-large, hoping it will work as a night shirt…
    sign of the times-i’m recording the giants’ game to watch later, not the football game
    sounds like you all had a great evening, i’m disappointed that no one streaked onto the field, though. i had a fin on it…
    as sorry as the offense looked, i was dead sure they’d win it on a walk-off to honor the occasion…
    chuck- if you meet matt someday, go easy on the jack webb interrogation 😉

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

Mike, yeah you don’t want to meet him there at night (umm, or day). Regarding the game, the Pagan relay to Crawford and Craw’s subsequent throw to the plate was the highlight of the night for me. In 2nd place was the nice Scutaro line drive grab to his right.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 10:35 am

that play at the plate was RIVETING, GALVANIC, assisted by a shitty play by the runner.

Though hung over, so to speak, by sensory overload, just got invited — and accepted — a Mexican breakfast from my hosts: chorizo (veggie), avocados, other veggies! As good as the Crepevine yesterday w/ Blade and radiant Aunt Mary, though totally different.

• twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 11:41 am

the way pagan made his throw, i thought it was going to make rain. but it was right on the money to crawford. and hector didn’t give nieves any path to the plate. nieves had to go wide and hector made a great tag.

• Warren johnson said, on September 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm

How many games has the pitcher Castilla lost for the giants,bochy get rid of him,also fire the hitting coach and get a good one like Chilly Davis with the As

• twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm

casiila has been one of the best late inning relievers in the game since he’s been here. indispensible.

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 10:42 am

I declared I wanted the orange sombrero just to look like a total dork at the airport. Um, in the light of THE DAY AFTER, not so sure, not so sure. Blade, whose sombrero wearing during the whole game complemented his ancestral heritage, should weigh in on this.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 12:28 pm

My mom made the decision for me – She loves the sombrero, so I am going to give it to her and will not wear it on the plane to Denver tomorrow. Self preservation from Sherpa fans factored into this decision.

19. snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

It was a fine Flapalooza yesterday. Game was secondary, rightly so. Meeting and talking ball and Giants and other things was fun. SanDawg got me the Makers, too much ice, yeah, but I wasn’t complaining. I will swear an affidavit if questioned about the Blade’s “rack reach” that he must have perfected in Bangkok. I was stunned, and impressed. I’m already looking forward to number 4.0, hopefully with the Giants still in contention…

20. snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 12:29 pm

To WilcoJoe’s question above, yes, James and I and SanDawg had a short “post-game” drink below in the PHouse. Further reflections on the day. All good. I can’t find anything bad to say about any of the guys I met yesterday. Course, I didn’t look too hard… 😉
    Seriously, a great group of guys. All individuals, living different lives in different places, with families and wives and SOs and sons and daughters. With the only common thread of loving a team; that brought us together. I said to one or more that it was truly a somehow strange but great thing that a common interest like the Giants can bring people together that never would have met otherwise.
    Except for Unca Chuck and SanDawg 😉

21. Alleykat said, on September 8, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Hey Snarkk…Have you had a glass of Makers 46 yet? Very smoky and aged to perfection!!

• snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Not yet. I’ll give it a try next time I’m on a shopping trip for potent potables…

22. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Bum is dealin’

23. zumiee said, on September 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Awesome group of Flappers last night. It was great meeting in the 3D world. You guys rock!! You’re absolutely terrific people.
    There’s a lot of great memories from last night, and I could go on quite a while about it, but I’ll just talk about this…..(grin)
    “#7 was Zumie’s underwhelming response when I re-told the story (that he missed) about Chuck and San Dawg.”
    OK, in my defense, BF said something like “In your knowledge of reading history, isn’t this the biggest coincidence you’ve ever heard of?” And it IS a huge and amazing coincidence. The odds are off the charts.
    But if we want to get all “historical” about coincidences, my mind immediately goes to Thomas Jefferson and John Adams dying on the SAME DAY, July 4th, 1826, exactly 50 years after they both signed the Declaration of Independence!!
    Or Theodore Roosevelt’s wife and his mother, both dying on the SAME DAY, in the SAME HOUSE, from two different illnesses!
    Or a low ranking Union soldier finding Confederate battle plans for the Battle of Antietam wrapped around some cigars in the woods, and getting those plans to Union generals and therefore changing the results of the battle, and the war, and the future of the U.S. and the world.
    But yes, the S-Dawg and Chuck coincidence is very impressive, too! (grin)

• snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 2:24 pm

That’s some good stuff, zumiee…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm

you should consider being a teacher, harhar

24. eddacker said, on September 8, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Bum is dealing, 7 SO thru 4

25. zumiee said, on September 8, 2013 at 2:20 pm

“Don’t almonds take a couple of decades to mature before bearing fruit (nuts)?”

Blade, much less time than that. A young tree can be producing well in about 5 years or so. Then the trees can go on and produce well for several decades.
    Then nature has a way of bringing about their replacement. During windy rain storms some of the older trees will sometimes uproot and fall over, and have to be replaced with baby trees. Almond trees are very top-heavy and not deeply rooted.

• zumiee said, on September 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Fortunately, my brother-in-law has an ag business, and the work is leased out to him. It’s a small orchard; 5 acres.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 8, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Zumiee, you are the flap’s very own version of Dwight Shrute…Instead of beets, you raise almonds. I love it!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:59 pm

don’t say top-heavy to Blade!

26. WilcoJoe said, on September 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I would love to see a Niner grab a big chunk of Clay Matthews mane throw IT to the ground.

• Bozo said, on September 8, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I agree, Joe.

27. Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm

If you want a customized Flap shirt like the ones we wore last night, email me and I’ll connect you with Snarkk who spearheaded that project. I put a front and back pic in the main thread to give you an idea of what it looks like close up.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 8, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I believe several of us that could not attend (myself included) have shirts coming our way…We actually had a pretty good email chain going with some pretty good one liners…It really is amazing that no one “spilled the beans”

• snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Kat expressed a possible desire for a shirt above. He and maybe a few others we could not figure out their emails to get on the secret shirt circulation list. We couldn’t advertise it here on the main blog lest we spill the beans to BF, so we’re just saying if we missed any regulars that want a shirt, I can get it done…

28. snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hey Pawlie.
    Who was “Beer Can”?…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm

from what I gather from SanDawg, it’s our tall lawyer friend, female version, And, yup, she responded to my email.

• snarkk said, on September 9, 2013 at 12:55 am

Interesting…

29. snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Well, we’re playing the “kids”, and that was a bonehead throw towards third by Peguero there to allow Easton to go to second. Wow. Anyway, we got Bum his 2 runs, James… 😉

30. snarkk said, on September 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm

FKKKKKKKKKK!
    Yet another no decision for Bum now. Unreal. The guy should have 17 wins or more…

31. chipower9 said, on September 8, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Sorry to join the party late, today. Have been out all morning picking up my horse. He is so fucking cool…this dude and I have a lot of memories to write (along with Gail and her horse).

It was an unbelievably awesome day at the yard yesterday. So cool to have met some of the other veteran Flappers (I had met Blade before on a couple of occasions). SO COOL. The shirts are OFF THE HOOK! Thanks to snarkk for coordinating. I love it! If I could change one thing, I would have flown solo yesterday, so that I could hang with the Flappers more (we had friends with us from Sebastopol). But regardless, it was magic meeting you guys. Looking forward to next year’s Flapalooza! Let’s make it even bigger and better. Flavor, I am sending you some pictures from the Public House (unveiling of the shirts). Will catch up on today’s posts later.

Enjoy the rest of the day, Flappers! GO GIANTS! GO NINERS!

32. Macdog said, on September 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Victory!

• twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm

victory x 2 and both good ones.

33. zumiee said, on September 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Winning is gloriously cool. Congrats to both SF teams today.
    —–
    I meant to mention earlier that on the drive home last night I heard a caller tell Lurie how much he enjoyed the interview with Pawlie, and Lurie agreed, and they talked about the quest in “World Serious,” and then the caller went into his own story about trying to go to one of the World Series games last year. It was a very cool moment in Lurie’s show after the game; it was great to hear Lurie mention author’s name and book title again.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Wow! Really? Pawlie will be very pleased to hear this Zum.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 8, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Hey, that’s awesome.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Sheesh. What can I say? Very cool. Please, please, Lord, prevent me from signing in at Amazon to check sales figures — WHICH ALWAYS DEFLATES ME until I remind myself it ain’t about the money (though who doesn’t like to make money while sleeping?).

34. twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm

we might be able to forget about replay if more umps asked for help on bang bang plays, or when another ump had the better view…

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Yeah, that was a a good move by the ump (I would have added “courageous” too, if it had been changed at the DBacks stadium).

35. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Craig, can you email both photos that the usher took of us? Thanks in advance! 🙂

36. Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I kicked some pics of the night into the Flap Photo bucket courtesy of Chi and his partner Gail who snapped the pics.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Flav, wonderful photos (thanks for sending and posting on Face book). Chi same deal – thanks bud!

37. twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm

although i will never meet any of you, i do feel like i know many of you through your posts, emails, and many kindnesses. i was excited for those who attended the get together and i’m so happy that it had a successful and *safe* outcome. and what a delightful bonus to learn of chuck and dawg’s children finding each other. i hope they know of the exalted expections that us honorary uncles now demand of them. matt, tell us of your plans after obtaining your doctorate in nuclear fusion science and engineering. and sit up straight, you’re slouching 😉

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Twin, if there is one thing we both know and you know it even more than I – it’s the fact that you should refrain from saying “never” (did you notice how I avoided saying, “never say never?”). Anyway, I am glad you are posting again, and who knows? You could continue to recover and perhaps, even make one of these Flap fests in the future. Just sayin’ . . .

• twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm

i didn’t mean it as if i won’t live to meet you and the others, just that i’m not as presentable as i would like. btw, i appreciate how gracious you have become. as to my posting, my hands have been better of late. i’d knock on my wood but i don’t want to push it 😉

• Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

twin, you were brought up often last night in conversation. It’s too bad you can’t make it to these events, they’re fun as hell and you would be the center of attention, I’m sure. Glad you at least get to see some of the pics and read some of the posts about the night.

• twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:26 pm

‘you would be the center of attention, I’m sure’
        that’s my fear 😉

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Twin, you really were a partner in our conversations.

38. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Good – glad to hear that you are doing better physically. I knew my prayers to Allah and Buddha would have some positive effect.

• twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:47 pm

now get this straight- if i ever do attend one of these events and you are driving, i am *not* getting out of the car on page mill road 😦

• Flavor said, on September 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Hey, just to clarify, I was the one who got out, at my request, in the darkness of Page MIll Road. Technically, it was Purrisima Road, not Page Mill. But I didn’t want Blade to get lost dropping me off at my house trying to get back to 280 in the dark without a GPS.
        But I’ll tell ya, the mile walk home was no fun. I had to use my phone as a flashlight and we don’t have sidewalks up here. No street lights either. My plan was to use the moon as a light but it wasn’t lit up enough. More than once I chastised myself for being a dumbass and getting myself into such an unnecessary situation. But whatev, it all ended fine, I got home sans incident

39. blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm

This is reminiscent of when I lived in the mountains (both in Old Shasta and Morrison, Colorado). As Flav correctly pointed out – without moon light, yer frickin’ walking blind. Fortunate for you to have a smart phone (albeit, it was probably only rocking 10-20% battery power after the events of the day, huh?).

• twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm

when we lived in the santa cruz mountains we often walked to club zayante- as rockin’ a joint as you’ll find in the middle of nowhere. one of the great nights was new year’s eve with clifton chenier. the forest is still rumbling.
      what a dark trek that was- and there was *nobody* on that road to Zayante that had seen sobriety since kindergarden…
      night all. nice sports day, eh…

40. twinfan1 said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:06 pm

i thought you had him drop you off because you didn’t want him to see ‘the family’

tcm

41. Macdog said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Giants still alive in the NL West!

42. zumiee said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Anyone else besides me cringe when Pagan got pushed to the ground during the celebration after he got the walk-off hit?
    I don’t get it, and never will.

• blade3colorado said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Yeah, I don’t get it either. These scrums have to stop. Sheesh, I felt injured (molested?) just walking out of the park after the game last night. Ha.

43. Irish Kevin said, on September 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Just finished reading about all you guys, I wish I could have been there. You all sound like the coolest dudes!! Which I am sure you all are. Next year for sure!!

44. SanDawg said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm

God, I’m exhausted. Ditto to what everyone said about yesterday being a blast and it being a great group of dudes. You basically could go up to anyone and have an amusing and enjoyable conversation and I’m so glad I made the effort to get there. I just had dinner with the ex and kids and went over all the details and showed the pics from last night relating to Matt and Allison. I’m not sure if that whole deal has totally sunk in, but its pretty damn cool that somehow our two kids are together.
    I think when Flav and I get around each other it somehow alters the earth’s atmosphere and creates an incredible heat wave in the bay area. First, we played the hottest round of golf in the history of Milbrae a couple of years ago and then there was yesterday’s heat. I felt like I was back in Woodland waiting for that Pawlie’s interview to happen while sitting in the only unshaded table on the whole patio. It was worth the wait though, as Pawlie was great and it was awesome to be there in the background hooting and hollering for him. By the way–“Beer Can” is the brunette in the video seated at Marty’s right. There were differing theories on what exactly her role was pertaining to the Marty Lurie show, but she was pretty cool and did pick a winning ticket for me in the raffle that allowed me to walk with an autographed copy of “World Serious.”
    Special thanks to Snarkk for the cool T-Shirts. My plan was to wear the shirt as soon as we got seated and I could stash my jersey, but, as was mentioned before, our time in seats was short lived. (Even shorter lived than Tanakamania!!) We honestly spent about 3 minutes in seats and stood the rest of the time. YES, that usher was incredibly cool for trying to hook us up with other people’s seats (OPS).
    I was dragging ass big-time heading back down 3rd St after bidding goodnight to Snarkk and James. I too noticed the waves of beautiful women dressed to kill heading out to start their night as mine was quickly coming to an end.
    It was also cool to break lose from the group for 30 minutes to go find my 22 year old nephew in the bleachers and have a beer. (Anchor California Lager—of course) His first question for me, full of wide-eyed drunken excitement was “Is TwinFan here???”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm

1. OPS? Brilliant.
      2. “Is TwinFan here???” Brilliant redux.
      3. Yes, “BeerCan. I got an email reply from here nah nah nah.
      4. Yes, snarkk, thanks again.
      5. Gigantic rack just walked by at SFO. (To be honest, the rest of her was not so small.)

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 8, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Sitting here at SFO before 11:38pm flight. Lobbed a dozen or so comments over the transom above. Been here almost two hours. Simply got tired of traipsing around “the City.” The GG Bridge walk was memorable but my feet hurt and I feel all of my age plus thirty. Went from fog and wind not being able to see tower 1 until on top of it to fog burning off at tower 2 to Marin sweltering sun to sitting in front of sailor monument w/o shoes or socks to watching fog on the bay. A few times only the top 8-10 ft of Transamerica poked through, maybe one other building top, intermittently for a few secs. No one seemed to notice. But how would I know for sure. Told the Asian couple to my right. They smiled and said NO MSG! (Sorry.) The fog was creeping on the water toward Sausalito like T.S. Eliot’s “licked its tongue into the corners of the evening.” Walked back. Tower almost clear. Smokey fog swirls. Sun. Fog. Blizzard-like rain masquerading as faux snow drops. Looking down could barely see the old fort underneath, which had been visible. Stopped to read ALL the information panels in the new little plaza on SF side. wow. That Strauss guy. By my understanding, 11 died. Tragic but remarkably low number. Safety nets used as a first. What a story. 28 Muni to Daly City. Text daughter asking for SFG and 49er scores. “Aren’t you in San Francisco? Can’t you just ask anyone?” (whreupon I texted her a variant of my MSG line above. (Sorry.) BART to SFO.