When Correia and Heston Collide

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 8, 2015

Who thought we’d be talking about those 2 guys last week?

I was actually pretty encouraged by what I saw from our offense last night. The *old* way of winning isn’t going to work this year and the hitters are going to have to step up. Voggy did about how I would expect he would do and suddenly Tim Lincecum is going to be a central protagonist on this year’s team. At least there’s upside with Timmy. The idea of Kevin Correia pitching even as a spot starter gives me chills. But maybe that’s just because he brings back so many bad memories of the 2007-08 dark years.

Or maybe he’s a harbinger of things to come–an evil messenger from Hell walking among us, delivering the  news in the form of hittable fastballs. 🙂 :0 🙂

I am SUPER STOKED to see Heston pitch today. I think it’s a good spot for him against a collection of average hitters. The future is now, whether Bochy and Sabean are ready for it or not…..

1. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:35 am

Kevin Correia? What, Russ Ortiz didn’t answer his phone?

I’m also stoked to see Heston pitch tonight’s game. I was rooting for the kid to get called up when they released him (40 man roster move) so I was glad no one picked him up and he’s getting a shot. The kid throws a complete game every year so maybe this will be it.

For some reason, the arms race to the DL isn’t bothering me as much as the injury to Belt. The way our lineup is built, losing Belt or Pence for a short period of time isn’t so bad, but losing them both for any length of time…That’s bad.

2. stickman said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:19 am

Who could imagine that the third game of the season might be critical to the team’s overall outlook. Scenario rests on Heston. Should he pitch a good game or even a tolerably fair game, there may be a silver lining behind the stormclouds. He has the talent, but if he gets nervous and flubs it, we could be looking at a very long 159 games remaining.

When it rains, it pours ~ well maybe not much in California recently, or in Aridzona, but that rash of injuries is one helluva way to start a season. Those two bad pitches by Vogelsong could not have come at worse times than with men on base. Could be he was a bit wore down on that final “hit me” he offered up. That was, what, his 93rd pitch. With all the rotation injuries its understandable why Bochy tried to stretch him out through five. Under more normal circumstances he may have been yanked after four.

A really good game by Heston could get this ship back on an even ~or at least a more even~ keel. A lot rides on his performance.

• vogelsheiner said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:35 am

it’s just one game. remember sadowski.

3. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:29 am

Would prefer to see the Horse out there dealing tonight, but we all know that isn’t happening, and maybe not anytime soon. Hoping Cain’s time on the DL will be relatively limited, and he can come back strong. In the meantime, glad to see Heston get the call. Go get ’em kid.

4. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:36 am

Well, I completely boned my Vogey prediction. Bad start for him. I don’t know much about Heston, except that he pitched well in Fresno last year and in ST this year. What’s his stuff like?

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:00 am

I don’t remember the stuff so much as just the command and mixing up his pitches well. He was pitching, not just throwing. The kind of next-level ability that guys like Kickham don’t have.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:34 am

LJ – he is not a hard-thrower. As Zume mentions, he mixes his pitches well. I think his FB is typically low 90s, and he has a slider, curve and change (my understanding is that he improved measurably with his change this past year).

5. zumiee said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:10 am

They’re loving Donnie 2X at the Dodger blogs:

The only really inexcusable move by Donnie was taking out Baez and bringing in Paco to face Amarista; thus allowing Black to counter with Barmes, who has a career 766 OPS versus LHP compared to 645 versus RHP. That was a dumb fucking move. Why the fuck would you ever change pitchers on Alexi Amafuckingrista? Stop over managing and let Baez and his 97mph heater get out one of the worst offensive players in baseball.
    That started the chain reaction of our bullpen hiccups last night.

by npurcell on Apr 8, 2015 | 6:17 AM reply

that ‘only’ inexcusable move set off a chain of events that tore up the entire bullpen for the next few games.
    possibly even longer if master photoshopper Brandon McCarthy can’t go 7 today.
    This is NOT a one-off occasion from Donnie, and it’s really getting fucking annoying

by Jack Huber on Apr 8, 2015 | 6:24 AM up reply

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:35 am

LMAO…had to do a double-take. I was thinking…WTH…zumiee is throwing around F-Bombs??!! 😛

6. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:19 am

I’m going to have a bit more perspective before I shit can the season. Last night was game frickin’ 2 . . . not 162. That being said, yeah – the rotation looks shaky. Matt’s landed on the DL, Jake Peavy’s bullpen session was fucked up, and Ryan Vogelsong gave up two three-run homers. Also, let’s not forget about Belt doing his injury prone act again with the groin strain. So, this dude Heston – who I don’t know too much about – is suddenly elevated to the show. We’ll see what’s what when he is given the ball tonight.

Perhaps more important, Tim Lincecum, who has been absolutely putrid more often then not the past 3 years, all of a sudden looks like an important cog in the “machine.” OH OH! I hope Timmy got the memo that he isn’t just going to be the end of the rotation innings eater he was told previously.

OK, now this is where the perspective comes in . . .

Did anyone pay attention to the Dodger and Padres game last night? For 6 innings, it was a nicely played game. A pitching duel. Fast forward to inning 6 and all sorts of errors occurred. Not only the 3 errors the Doghairs were charged with, but other errors or lapses that weren’t called . . . and how about that bullpen? The Bums used six relievers after Greinke left the game, had a wild pitch, and in total – the pen allowed nine hits in three innings. Bottom line? Things aren’t so rosy in La La Land either.

Go Giants! 🙂

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:28 am

Porous defense has been a hallmark of recent Dodger teams. They are a living, breathing example of how that kills a team in basball. Extra outs, the bane of any manager.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:44 am

Yeah, Gotta keep the faith but when it’s 2 games in and Bochy breaks out the post game “Some things you can’t explain. I haven’t been through what we’re going through right now.” Yeeeshhh.

7. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:22 am

ha ha, vogelshiener’s dog ears lost to the pads. That takes some of the sting off of last night’s loss.

8. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:25 am

Zum, yep, the G’s have one of the finest in-game strategic managers of his era while the poor old blue meanies are stuck with donnie 2x, who I happened to love as a player but who gets no quarter from me now.

9. Nipper said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:27 am

Never worry in April. No matter what happens do not worry. Take your blood pressure and worry about that.

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:30 am

I agree with you and Blade, Nipper. Game 2 fer chissakes. I’ve learned over the years to give things til the end of May to sort themselves out. Even then, baseball is baseball and it’ll bite you in the ass the second you think you have it figured out,

10. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:32 am

Pollyanna Prediction #2 for 2015: Cain will be fine after his stint on the DL. Of course, Dr. Andrews may have something to say about that, but Matt is due for some good luck.

11. willedav said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:33 am

just a funky night all around. Vogs thought he had a K before Peralta even came up and Rags went out there to stop him from blowing up at the ump after the HR. As Stix mentioned, K and K were sure Lamb was his last hitter before that HR ended his night. Scoring on the sac fly after he had singled, both plays out of the ordinary.

Ball was carrying to LF too as Flem mentioned early on. Giants took advantage there as Panik and Aoki drove balls deep there and Crawford homered. I just don’t remember him going op field for HRs.

Belt had a nice rbi before yet another freak injury. Posey getting picked off 1b?

Hella call from flav too…Peralta was having good year last year til he got hurt but honest I’ve never even heard of Lamb before.

Good b-ball column today from Chron guy J Curtis. Cal gets heat for all his one and done guys, but for coach K is a genius at adapting. Something like 400 guys transfer every year and there are a few schools like Wisconsin and Nova without 10 HS all-americans and full of guys who play 4 yrs. that are successful. No rhyme or reason to how you get the best players or help them to play well for an entire season.
    I’d add there are a lot of very good coaches out there who don’t get all the way to the top.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:40 am

Yeah, you gotta wonder if running around the bases, and scoring on that close play at home on the sac fly took a little something out of Vogey.

12. zumiee said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:34 am

Vogey needed “this” guy out there last night:

13. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:42 am

I see that the A’s are going to sign Cody Ross.

• Cumberland Gap said, on April 8, 2015 at 11:16 am

He could have been a significant to a weak SF outfield. Maybe he didn’t want to come back?

14. zumiee said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:47 am

The Cards/Cubs game is on MLB Network today at 11:00.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:47 am

I don’t know if it was the camera staying on him longer or what but I’ve never seen Vogelsong flipping his glove and acting like he was on the mound last night.

Hesto Presto come on down!

16. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:49 am

I am with Blade and LJ regarding last night being only game 2 of 162. Hopefully Cain and Belt can come back soon.

The only reason I think it is more important than usual to get off to a good start this year is that our boys play ALL 23 in the month of April against division foes with 13 on the road and 10 at home. So, yeah, it is early, but you really want to make hay against your division rivals.

I saw just a bit of the post-game last night, and my man Flan was on. So good to see him again. He looks good. They were talking about the Giants winning the last eight series in Zona. Flan was like, “WHAT?!” He was sure that must have been an error, but it is true. With that said, if the kid helps bring home a win today, make that NINE consecutive series wins against the snakes.

Flannery was also mentioning that he is sure the team cannot wait to get the hell outta Zona…he referred to their yard as the “crooked number house of horrors.”

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:54 am

Yeah, I’m diggin’ the Flan on the broadcasts. I was curious how he would do, and he’s doing great.

• Chipower9 said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:50 am

Agreed. That surfing must be doing wonders for his body, mind and soul. I am hoping that he and his band do some local shows sometime soon…would love to catch them live.

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Yeah chi, he just got back from Costa Rica after a surfing trip with the Fam. On his face book page he said it’ll take some time to get used to wearing suits (not to mention he needed to buy some) but that he was pretty excited about doing the Comcast gig. I don’t get any of the pre/post game stuff, might have to go over to Comcast to see some.

17. Irish Kevin said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:51 am

Well it is only game two. I would rather have Cain have fixable problems now rather than in August or September. Same with Belt, even though Belt seems extremely injury prone? Or just tough luck. Anyway, game 3 of 162, the Giants are playing .500 ball, who could ask for more?? 😜😜😜

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:56 am

Stay close ’til Pence gets back, a lot of us were saying. After two games, still even with the Dodgers and Pads. 🙂

• James said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:14 am

The previous 2 injuries resulted from balls thrown at Belt. This is the first one that is about his body, and whether or not it’ll have a propensity to break down frequently.

• Cumberland Gap said, on April 8, 2015 at 4:42 pm

If indeed those problems are fixable within this calendar year.

18. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:15 am

McGehee played some at First a few years ago, maybe have him switch corners and get the Duffster some time at Third.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:31 am

I like that idea better than bringing Susac up and putting Buster at first.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:53 am

Yep…I like the Clown’s idea much better than Susac up/Buster at 1st. Ishikawa is not eligible to come off the DL until the 14th.

19. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 10:09 am

Any consolation to Giants fans Mat Latos got smoked giving up 7 earn runs
    In 2/3 of an inning for an era of 94.00 couldn’t happen to a better smuck..

20. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2015 at 11:10 am

James Best, better known as Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane from the Dukes of Hazzard died at age 88 at his home in Hickory North Carolina. I wonder if Bumgarner get’s Flash?

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2015 at 11:54 am

that sucks. totally bummed out my dad. “Skooch skooch”

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I actually got a Bassett hound, who is still sniffing at age 13 because of that show.

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 12:34 pm

That guy was hilarious on that show. I’ve seen a few older movies he was in as well. He was pretty well-established character actor before his Dukes days.

21. gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 11:12 am

Heston is the guy my son and saw pitch in AA two years ago. Not a lights out type of guy but seemed a serviceable back end rotation guy. Please tell me you are joking about Correia!!!!

Offense looks better than I expected it to be circa 2008 and that Is without Pence. I am still dour about Romo…

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2015 at 12:22 pm

GH – Wish I could tell you it is a late April Fool’s joke, but it is true. Correia has been signed and will begin an extended spring training stint to build up his pitch count. He’ll probalby go to Sacto (AAA) from there.

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Just say no!!!!

• chipower9 said, on April 9, 2015 at 8:19 am

Why are you down on Romo, GH? Dude has looked pretty good so far. Nice 8th inning last night…a K on three pitches, 3 up, 3 down. 8 pitches, 5 for strikes.

22. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 12:35 pm

The Giants always seem to hit well in Arizona, like they’ve been released from that hitter’s purgatory that is AT&T.

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Very true. I actually wish they could open every season in PHX. I think it gives the offense some early season confidence, that is until they get home.

23. stickman said, on April 8, 2015 at 2:19 pm

With an evolving cast of personnel over the seasons it cannot be averred that the Giants necessarily will not hit well at Willie Mays Field. McGeheehee now there instead of free-swinging Panda and Aoki takes up an outfield slot which had belonged to Morse. Neither of the newbies are often tempted to swing for the fences but more tend to slice the ball up the middle, pull it for doubles, or slap it the other way on stuff around the outside corner.

My take is that the Conga Line will become a more moving experience at home than it has generally been in the recent past.

24. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Frickin’ Padre GM is still tinkering . . . Now, I hear he is looking to upgrade the SS position, where they have the underwhelming Alexi Amarista and Clint Barmes. I wonder if they have the Sherpas on speed dial?

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Seriously, I’m hearing that Castro and Andrus are targets.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Whatev– I’m not worried much about who the other teams get. I’m more concerned with who we have. The giants have proven 3 times that they can beat teams in the post season who are stacked with fantasy studs

25. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Maybe Matt Herges is next.

26. Nipper said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Bring up the young arms and phase out the old ones……slowly or quickly it matters not. Change is good and necessary.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Yes, I was surprised to learn that the Giants have the oldest team.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Sandoval gets first hit, raising average to .143. It is drenching rain here; now why can’t we put it in tanker trucks and give it to you guys?

28. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Shit, if their gonna sign Kevin Corriea, might as well add Joe Blanton who sucks as well.
    Really I would rather have Zito back then the thought of Corriea blowing up reminding me of Wellemeyer.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I think I’d rather have Zits too. At least he was part of a winning time in the franchise as well as directly contributing to 2012 wS

• SanDawg said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I wish Zito the best in his comeback attempt, but for me, the Zito chapter in SF Giants history should remain closed forever. Some great memories for sure, but lots of rough ones too. It ended pretty darn well, lets leave it at that and move on.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Agreed. And it’ll never happen anyway. What’s the bid up to on our turnstile?

• SanDawg said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:43 pm

There are 2 of them and i think they are around $330 and $380 now.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I feel like they’re priceless but that’s a price I might not be willing to hit.

29. Cumberland Gap said, on April 8, 2015 at 5:54 pm

So, will Charlton bring his entire arsenal the first night out?

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I just got the “Charlton” reference.

30. gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Wtf Correia? Where is the groper Gaudin????

31. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:43 pm

The splash saying the trainers got Peavy’s back to feel better such that he threw a bullpen, and Belt took swings in the cage. #hopeful

32. gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Did Bochy just call for a 1st inning bunt????? I am speechless..

33. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Pfffffffffftttttttttt.

34. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I am not — repeat, NOT — staying up till 1:30. It’s April.

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Agreed. It’s April and I’m already tired.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:13 pm

shit I can barely make it to 10pm and I’m 3 hours behind you. I don’t get how you east coast dominant beasts do it…..

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:18 pm

A local beverage made from corn, helps me through the first 5 innings.

35. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Tied up.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Let’s just finish off Hellickson right here.

36. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Conga line, keep on moving.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I want to phonetically make conga music but am at a loss.

37. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Aoki& The Duffer, .Money,really nice work getting 2 out RBI’s!!

38. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Pawlie, regarding your 5:26pm . . .

Mother of all (rain) storms going on here. Fairly certain the water goes into the Colorado river, then heads South to LA. Boo!

39. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Dang man, Maxwell makes Goldy look like a shorty.

40. gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Blade….trying that fan duel tonight. With limited games thought would be a good time to try. What are these 50-50 games?

How do you track starting lineups in time? I was about to start Panik and then my son clued me in that he was sitting…any other advice?

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Click on “Live” and you will see your scores in real time. Regarding advice? Study ALL players. Flavor and I were just chatting about the randomness of position players, i.e., Always get a stud pitcher. The best position players FAIL 70% of the time.

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I bookmarked the live page. I went Detwiler instead of Kazmir because of the salary. Kazmir has the most points so far. I have 3 D-Backs thinking they would hit Heston a little…

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:41 pm

50/50 games are teams finishing in the top-half of the field – win cash no matter the number of entries. A great way to build bankroll! Head to Head is also a good strategy. In effect, a 50% chance of winning. Just watch out who you play (many ringers).

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:43 pm

I am on a smart phone, so this thing is auto correcting and repeating itself. Sorry.

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:47 pm

So you just need to be in that upper 50% to win…yeah I am staying away from you in any head to head battles…

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:51 pm

You can check a person’s record in FD. The only negative is that they only show wins and not how many games a person has played, i.e., no winning percentage. Nevertheless, that’s something. Also, it doesn’t account for a person taking a break from playing, e.g., me – when I travel – I don’t play, so my record is misleading.

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Well this learning experience cost me just $2

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Big deal . . . I get more enjoyment out of this, then trading equities (and I love that). However, it isn’t good for my heart. 🙂

41. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Boston Beaneaters, now that’s a classic baseball team name.
    Right up there with the Lansing Lugnuts..

42. willedav said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Duff with another knock…not that I give a flying F, but did anybody actually claim O-O-O?

43. DJLoo said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Arizona’s dumb ass announcers can’t say “Goldy ” enough.
    Like it’s some brilliant nickname…

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Well, Paul is a tough name to pronounce.

44. stickman said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Contrary to last night’s starter Heston acquitted himself quite well in heavy traffic there in the 4th ~ and that while dealing with the heart of the Snakes’ order. So far, one hit, a couple walks and his own throwing error in the first which accounted for that run.

45. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:16 pm

OOO: Baggage claim was unclaimed as well

46. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Craw sure has been spanking the ball in this series.

47. willedav said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:26 pm

So far, DBax top 3 SPs:
    Collmenter ERA 9.64
    Delarosa 10.12
    Hellickson 6.23

Total IP 14.1.
    Hellickson gave up 9 hits 2 BBs in 4.1

Yikes.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Hellickson? That’s the guy (along with Latos) GH wanted the Giants to sign at one time. 😉

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I think that is a tease because I don’t think I ever heard of him and hate Latos since his anti-Giants hatred…

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Grin.

48. DJLoo said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Heston consistently hitting 77 on the gun…

49. mannyman46 said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Fucking Sanchez and his Iron Glove.

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I heard it clank from here, that was definitely on Hector.

50. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:50 pm

What drugs is the official scorer on calling that a wild pitch?
    Sanchez totally butchered it.

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Did he cross Sanchez up?

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Nope that was just plain awful catching….

• DJLoo said, on April 8, 2015 at 8:58 pm

I don’t think you two should argue over it…

51. DJLoo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I notice Arizona has gone with a matte finish on their batting helmets this season rather than the traditional shiny one. I wonder if there is some stupid fuckin’ reason for this…

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm

They went with the classic door matte finish.

• chipower9 said, on April 9, 2015 at 8:26 am

“classic door matte finish.” That shit is classic. Have another of those corn-based beverages, Clown.

52. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Now that was funny Loo.
    GH’s split personalitys are fighting each other.

53. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Looks like mah-CHEE bounced back tonight?

• DJLoo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Laugh it up, motherfuckers!!!

54. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Loo with a nice two-bagger, split personalities and batting helmets.

55. SanDawg said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Adrian Gonzalez is 9 for 12 with 5 homers so far this year. Not a bad start.

• Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Little disappointed in his other 4 hits though,that didn’t go yard..

56. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Loo, those last two posts were Goldy!

57. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Romo looks skinnier then Karen Carpenter did.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:54 pm

But, his beard is bigger…

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Her song repertoire tended on the syrupy, but she did have the voice of an angel, IMO. I saw a documentary once on the career of Herb Alpert. He owned A&M records, the label that produced her music. In the point of the documentary where the videographer started to ask Herb about Karen Carpenter, he started to talk about her and her illness and her talent, then he just broke down and couldn’t go on. He was obviously still distressed about her loss. There wasn’t a romantic deal going on, he was her producer and was just blown away at her loss at such a young age by something he couldn’t help…

• DJLoo said, on April 9, 2015 at 4:54 am

I caught a little good natured flack for it some years ago on the Splash when I said Karen Carpenter was the best female vocalist ever. She makes Streisand sound like a goose with a bad cold…

58. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Atta way Casey

59. stickman said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Flav: You sure got it right being stoked about the Heston start. My feeling is that pretty much all the regs here on the Flap were at least cautiously optimistic. After tonight’s performance Bochy’s statement about Chris getting more than one start can be taken in full context.

60. DJLoo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:34 pm

If that’s a homer in ATT, Giggles might be good for 15 or so…

61. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Pablo who?

62. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Definitely encouraging to see Heston do well tonight. In light of the Giant’s pitching woes, he could be around a while. A.G. going for dinger #4.

• DJLoo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:38 pm

He’s on pace for 270.

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Had to settle for a prosaic RBI single. Poor guy.

63. stickman said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Yeah, maybe it was a good idea for the World Champs to start their season in the Snakespit. They got fitted out with their hitting shoes and seemed to get the adjustments down just fine. Fourteen hit attack tonight with almost nothing coming from the middle of the lineup till McGiggles connected from the five-hole. Duffy should have gotten more OF starts during ST. He’s a difficult case to keep outta the lineup. Both the new acquisitions look like excellent fits for this team.

Don’t look now, but the Rox lead the Division. So okay, that’s a slightly off-key April Fooler ~ but is still April and we’re all of three games into the season.

64. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Nice start to the 2015 season. What’s that, 9 straight series wins in AZ?

65. Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Another win in the books, on to SD.

66. snarkk said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:52 pm

It’s just one game, but I’m up for more Heston, less Voggy…

• Alleykat said, on April 8, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Yeah the best part of Heston,it will keep Correia in the minors hopefully all year.

• Cumberland Gap said, on April 9, 2015 at 7:02 am

You could say the same about almost everybody else in the rotation.

67. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Many, Romo and Casilla are pretty much money at the end of games.

68. stickman said, on April 8, 2015 at 9:58 pm

More thoughts on Heston’s excellent adventure. BB15 has in the middle of all the woes, found a new toy under the Christmas tree and he may not want to give it up. This 26 Y.O. “kid” has paid his dues in the pipeline, seems to have learned his lessons and may be on pace to Wally Pipp somebody.

69. paulinasia said, on April 8, 2015 at 10:00 pm

“Door matte finish”… pretty funny there, Bozo…. 🙂

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Thanks Paul, but I’m thinking Loo was the one on fire tonight (yet again).
      Bed time for bozos on my end. Cheers.

70. Macdog said, on April 8, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Get your stinkin’ ass outta here, you damn, dirty Snakes.

Great job, Heston!

71. Cumberland Gap said, on April 8, 2015 at 10:30 pm

So, as I understand it, Charlton has taken a clear and possibly insurmountable lead in the Cy Young race.

• SanDawg said, on April 9, 2015 at 6:32 am

I think you have a good grasp of the situation—but you did leave out the part about him almost surely starting the All-Star game for the National League.

• Cumberland Gap said, on April 9, 2015 at 6:59 am

So, everybody else here has underrated him.

72. chipower9 said, on April 9, 2015 at 8:33 am

LJ was right…9th consecutive win over the snakes. It is now time to see the new-look Friars. I am still not convinced. Weird start-time today…3:40 first pitch.

73. Flavor said, on April 9, 2015 at 9:07 am

новая тема (new thread in Russian)