Lucky Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 23, 2015

Sorry, but I’m with the Dodgers on this one. Blanco absolutely should have been called out for interference by Kelly. He stood in the basepath and there was contact between him and Blanco. He was essentially holding up a human stop sign and how could that not be considered physically assisting a player back to the bag? He used his body, physically, to send Blanco back to the bag. I understand the rule is open to umpire interpretation, but the rule can’t be so daft as to only refer to a 3rd base coach who tackles a runner and physically drags him back to the bag, right?

There’s probably a better still shot than this but this is what I snipped off mlb.com:

blanco

Now, the ump wasn’t even looking and apparently none of the other umps saw it either.

Kelly looked completely lost on that play. He obviously starts to send the “go” sign but then abruptly stopped and that’s when he went into “human stop sign” mode. There is no way Blanco could have run through him. He had to stop and go back to the bag.

I’m certainly not complaining about a win but we got lucky and the bigger issue to me is Kelly’s qualifications for the 3rd base job. Is he ready? If not, going with an in-house hire was stupid. Was anyone else even interviewed for the 3rd base job?

Doubt it.

_____________________

also, I really appreciated reading Snarkk and Xoot’s breakdown last night of the Bonds decision. Good stuff.

1. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Dammit! Well, I am thankful for the run/tie when you consider the alternative…get ’em in extras, boys!

2. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Go dots! Got out of that somehow.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:00 pm

you gotta do MLB.TV, chuck.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Casilla with the BWheezy high wire act. Whew.

4. Macdog said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Lame, but it works. 🙂

8. Flavor said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Of course they sweep. Lol. Ok, Maxwell gets to stay

9. Macdog said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Justin time!

10. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Tell me that any Flappers expected this? Anyone? Anyone?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Totally. I knew this was going to happen. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:15 pm

You and Nostradamus, eh Dirt?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Just call me Carnac the Magnificent.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Tell that to the poobahs, prognosticators and pundits and maybe especially to Vegas. Imagine the odds one could have gotten on a Giants sweep. A hundred bucks would have got you a bunch.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:14 pm

i sort of intimated that [laying the dogs would be the kick start they needed.

11. Carstie Clausen said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Maxwell Silver Hammer made sure that we swept.

12. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:13 pm

sweep! lets hope they can ride this to more NL west damage.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Got the Sherpas next. Make it happen Giants.

13. Carstie Clausen said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Heh, heh, heh.

14. eddacker said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I thought these LA(me) relievers were lights out

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Yes Ed, they are all light (weights).

15. alleykat69 said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Test you knuckle heads😀

16. Flavor said, on April 23, 2015 at 4:42 pm

if you don’t laugh loudly out loud after watching the first video in this story, your sense of humor sucks.

17. Paul Sorensen said, on April 23, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I called the sweep…. though that was after they won the 1st one…. :-p

18. Flavor said, on April 23, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Vin Scully has the worst home run calls of all time. There. It’s been said.

• Lurker John said, on April 23, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Not a lot of excitement there.

19. Carstie Clausen said, on April 23, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Just over a tenth of the season in the books and the NL West race is getting tighter than a miser’s fart.

20. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 6:09 pm

It sounds like 9 people are going to the game on the 2nd – Chi, snarkk, Ed, Zumiee, Eric and his wife & twins, and myself. Just got off the phone with Tom and he is going to attempt to get the club seats we usually get for a Flapalooza, where we can stand, sit, or walk around (as well as have access to cover, should it rain or worse). He will report back here and via email. Is there anyone else who is interested in going? Let Tom know, so he can include you on the string of emails that certainly will occur in setting this up. More then likely, we will all meet early at the Mays statue and/or be near “Beer Can” where we can flirt and harass her.

21. Lurker John said, on April 23, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Panik and Crawford both have great hands, especially around the bag. Crawford makes the exchange from glove to throwing hand as quickly and smoothly as anyone in the game right now. Watch the replay of the 8th inning DP about 5 times in a row and marvel at the way he handles Panik’s perfect throw. It’s in his glove and gone before you can blink, all in one motion. Those two go together like ice cream and the cone.

Great sweep!

22. Lurker John said, on April 23, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Maxwell is scalding the ball right now. It took a brilliant play by Kendrick to keep the Giants from winning in 9. He’s good in the outfield too. Hopefully he can continue to be a nice stopgap until Pence gets back. Coors might see a couple of more bombs from him.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I was thinking the same thing about Maxwell heading to Coors field, LJ. Mattingly walking Belt to get to Maxwell…lol. It’s like he wasn’t even watching the first two games of the series. I’ve seen it said that a good manager will win you 1-2 games a year. I wonder how many an incompetent one loses for you.

24. sandog said, on April 23, 2015 at 7:19 pm

What a great day to be a Giants fan. They finish off the sweep of a Dodger series when coming into it I had serious fears about them getting majorly embarrassed. A big tip of the cap to those of you who kept the faith after this start: Blade, Bozo, others I’m sure.
    And then the blog. Such a great collection of posts today. Zumie’s 7:01 for me absolutely nails what Bochy is all about as manager. It is certainly why I love the guy and I totally agree that is why players love him too. And then to have Vogey reward his confidence with a strong effort. Awesome.
    I also totally agree with Pawlie re Puig at 3:10. I love Puig. I’m going to Pads/Dogs Saturday and I’m not taking my eyes off of the guy. Someone at work said that when Maxwell robbed him the other night, he actually gave Max some sincere applause in the dugout as they showed the replay. Please tell me that really happened.
    As for R Kelly coaching 3rd….yes, I’m concerned, but lets give the guy some time to settle in. I seriously doubt the Giants just took the lazy route and promoted Kelly and Hayes without considering if they were really good candidates for those gigs. If he’s still doing this shit in July, then hand me a pitchfork, and I will join the mob.

Willie saying that Aoki is ” a real acquired taste” is also dead-on gold. I know he doesn’t have the level of tools Lonnie Smith had, but his escapades on the basepaths and in the outfield totally reminds me of Skates.
    And yes, I was way off base thinking Johnny Callison was a key member of the Go-Go Sox. Usually my knowledge of old school classic teams is pretty good, but I whiffed on that one.
    The Harbs stuff is also hilarious and I have to look for that whole story online. I can’t figure out if I love that guy or absolutely can’t stand him. It changes from week to week.
    ….and there’s nothing like watching a Flapalooza come together. Enjoy, my friends!

PS I think some of you are being WAY too hard on Juan Samuel, unless there is footage I’m not seeing. For being butthurt, are you referring to him motioning to the field from the dugout with a serious look on his face? If so, I can’t fault the guy for that. He just got his ASS completely run over—cut the man some slack!

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Agree with you about Kelly and Samuel . . . Sometimes, we (Flappers) jump to conclusions too soon. For example, I truly believe that Frankenstein’s monster would have turned out OK, if not for the townspeople going after him with torches and pitchforks.

25. giants54 said, on April 23, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Absolutely agree about giving Kelly time to settle in. Geesus, tough crowd. We’ve all made mistakes in new jobs.

26. pawliekokonuts said, on April 23, 2015 at 7:37 pm

I didn’t foresee the sweep, but I did “call” the win at 2:42 (even though I knew fully at the time it was wishful thinking, but hey). Go, Giants! Making it fun to watch again.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on April 23, 2015 at 7:38 pm

My friend Dennis Z. was scheduled to be at Finnerty’s today. What a hoot that would be.

28. zumiee said, on April 23, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Another item for the file called “Bochy knows more about baseball than me,” Bochy made a great call starting Vogie today. And as SanDog said, Vogie rewarded that confidence.
    SanDog also said, regarding Puig: “Someone at work said that when Maxwell robbed him the other night, he actually gave Max some sincere applause in the dugout as they showed the replay. Please tell me that really happened.”
    It absolutely really happened. Part of Puig’s applause, I’m sure, was also because Maxwell wasn’t injured. It doesn’t completely transform my view of Puig, but it was a classy move on his part, and showed some maturity on his part. Also, the fact that he didn’t argue hardly at all about the blown call on catcher interference during one of his ABs in the series. He seemed to take it in stride very well. A lot of other players would have become unhinged at that moment.

• xoot said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Last night he stared intently toward the near side of the dodger dugout after every inside MadBum pitch thhat nearly hit him. No sign of ire. He then got back to work in the box. He has developed some maturity and self control. (Too bad, in a way, because he’ll be a better player for the bums now.) Meanwhile, wtf is going on with the Royals AHs?

29. zumiee said, on April 23, 2015 at 8:29 pm

How are those Dodger fans feeling at the moment?:

Sitting here at work in the Bay Area
    Several coworkers have reminded me where we keep the brooms.

by Scottielew on Apr 23, 2015 | 4:48 PM

shove it up their asses

by hee came hee seop’d he choi’d on Apr 23, 2015 | 4:49 PM

lol sucks but just gotta take it… You’re screwed for awhile either way, because they have the ultimate trump card.. even if Dodgers swept them, all they gotta do is throw defending champs and 3 rings in 5 years at you and you’re done.
    their fans are playing with house money this year, even if they suck all year, 3 rings in 5 years soothes the pain.

by uschris0304 on Apr 23, 2015 | 5:48 PM

yah that one I’ll be hearing about regardless, forever

by underdog on Apr 23, 2015 | 6:05 PM

• zumiee said, on April 23, 2015 at 8:33 pm

“yah that one I’ll be hearing about regardless, forever”

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Those Bum comments remind me of me prior to winning in 2010 . . . In many ways, I sort of feel sorry for them having once worn their shoes.

Nah . . . 🙂

30. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

I think Zum mentioned Steve Dickhead’s . . . umm, Dilbeck’s LA Times column about how the Giants “Crummy record reeked at 4-10.”

I wonder what this asshole is saying now, after writing this column a few days ago:

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:10 pm

. . . and by the way, I will give him this, he was prophetic in stating, “Now the Halloween-Colored Boys won’t always win at their current .286 clip (4-10), though a guy can dream. They’ve lost nine of their last 10, while the Dodgers have won seven straight. Of course, the way this historic series goes, the Dodgers get swept.”

• zumiee said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:25 pm

It goes to show how quickly a newspaper column can turn into fishwrap. 🙂

31. willedav said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Wow unbelievable comeback by Dubs, down 20 going into 4th. Steph drills 3 from corner to send it to OT after clutch O-board by Speights, and Pels too clueless to foul beforehand.

32. willedav said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Dodger are way less annoying minus Hanley for a start.
    Kuip on radio last night said in admiration of Puig, “There is nothing he can’t do a baseball field.”

• xoot said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Have you had a chance to see him live at China Basin making throws from the RF corner? wholly sheet what an arm.

33. alleykat69 said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Damm..
    STEPH CURRY!!!!!
    ICE IN HIS VEINS!!!
    Down 20 to start the 4 th quarter, and freaking force OT on the 3 pointer unbelievable!!! CURRY ON FIRE,just nailed another 3 to start OT for Mr.MVP!!!

34. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Blind ref calling phantom fouls on Green . . . Still can’t take it away from the Dubs.

35. xoot said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:47 pm

my gawd the Warriors put on a show. What a great basketball game that was tonight.

36. willedav said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

4 FTs from steph (who led league with 91% during the season) finishes them off capping 40 point night.

37. alleykat69 said, on April 23, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Yeah those refs are gonna take heat from that BS call away from the ball allowing a gift free throw and possible loss.
    But justice prevails!!
    Like the Dubs chances since “No team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit ” 110-0 in history..

38. mrsprtdude said, on April 23, 2015 at 10:07 pm

What a day. Sweep The Bums, then bury the Pelicans. Brilliant!

39. zumiee said, on April 23, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Sandoval now at .263/0/4, with a .642 OPS, and struggling mightily from the rightside. He came into today’s game, 0 for 13 batting righthanded, with 5 Ks.
    The Red Sox are 9-7, in a 3-way tie for firstplace in a log-jammed AL East, so probably still not a huge deal (yet) to Sox fans.

40. Macdog said, on April 23, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Wow, saw the Warriors were losing big most of the game, left work they were down by about 10 with 4 minutes left, got home, put on ESPN and see Curry press conference talking about OT win! Incredible. What a day for you Bay Area fans.

As if the Giants win wasn’t awesome enough, my daughter gunned down a runner at home from LF for the final out in a 1-0 HS softball win. Even better, it came against a private school. Whoooooo!

41. Lurker John said, on April 23, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Puig is a talent to be sure. He clapped for Maxwell while he was in the dugout, after the play. I think it was for the fact that Justin wasn’t hurt and stayed in the game. Still, a classy move. From one RF to another. It was a hell of a grab.