No Where to Turn

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 16, 2016

Here are the guys on the 40 man with 5 years of service who are out of options:

George Kontos, Cory Gearrin, Ehire Adrianza, Hunter Strickland

I’d expect that at least 3 of them are in SF on opening day (Kontos, Gearrin and Strickland). That’s assuming Cain misses the first week and they can keep Gearrin in the bullpen.

1. chipower9 said, on March 16, 2016 at 9:55 am

I do not understand the team’s hanging onto Adrianza. Each year I wonder “is this the year they trade him or cut him?”

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2016 at 9:56 am

I haven’t seen him yet but I heard he’s packed on some muscle—possibly taking steroids for one last desperate chance to hang on at the mlb level. A 50 game ban might be the only way to get rid of him.

• Bozo said, on March 16, 2016 at 11:49 am

They waited until the end of Spring one year (last year or the year before?) and slipped him through waivers because most teams had their 25 man rosters set. I don’t know if they’ll try that again but really, why continue to hold on to him? We have Shortstops in the pipeline and it would be pretty fucked up to send Specs down just because he still has options.

Also, someone will have to get moved off of the 40 man if they decide to keep Green or Blanks.

2. Carstie Clausen said, on March 16, 2016 at 10:53 am

Maybe i’m outta the loop on this, but how is it that Strickland has 5 years of service? Seems to my recollection that he was called up only rather recently.

• xoot said, on March 16, 2016 at 10:57 am

I think the Giants claimed him when he was in the minors, and he had TJ surgery either before or after that. If I recall correctly, once he got into the Giants organization is WHIP went from something like 1.8 to .9 (or maybe better).

• chipower9 said, on March 16, 2016 at 11:21 am

Not sure. I looked at both minor and major league stats. His first year in the majors was with us in 2014. So, I agree, not sure how he is considered to have five years of major league service.

• xoot said, on March 16, 2016 at 11:24 am

The Pirates put him on the 40 man years ago then let him go and the Giants claimed him. I think.

3. zumiee said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Adam LaRoche did the thing you rarely see in baseball; he retired and walked away, while still under contract, leaving money on the table. I can’t even remember the last time I saw that in baseball. Usually, even a severely injured player like Scutaro, still shows up to rehab during the remainder of their contract so they can keep collecting paychecks. Even if the rehab is pretty much hopeless, as in Scutaro’s case.

• zumiee said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Now that I think of it, I think Cuddyer did that, also.

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Cuddyer just did it a month ago

4. zumiee said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Wasn’t LaRoche the guy that rejected a Giants’ offer before the ’10 season, and so the Giants ended up getting Huff instead? Well, that ended up working out nicely for the Giants. Two roads diverge in the woods; the road taken or not taken.

5. Flavor said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:19 pm

wonder if he’s finally admitting he fucked up royally by deciding to go east…..
    David Laurila ‏@DavidLaurilaQA 3h3 hours ago
    Was told that Pablo Sandoval blew up at reporter yesterday for citing declining defensive stats in article. Slammed table w/ bat during rant

6. gianthead said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I thought the same thing Flav with Adrianza looking muscled up… very eye raising. Seems like a bunch of our young hitters seem more muscle bound than we have been used to with our prospects. Let’s hope there has not been some new designer steroid that is getting around…

7. gianthead said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I think I reported here that when Laroche played for the Nats and his kid was in little league playoffs, Laroche would show up to games and apparently was completely friendly and open to everyone who wanted to speak to him. So a good egg in my book and apparently hanging them up with money on the table further verifies that perception.

8. Flavor said, on March 16, 2016 at 12:37 pm

LaRoche had no business expecting to be able to have his son in the clubhouse 100% of the time. What job can you take your son to work 100% of the time? Does his son go to school? Is LaRoche cool with having his son exposed to all the baseball player nonsense and language that he would get exposed to if he was there 100% of the time? I am totally in support of KW on this issue who didn’t ban the kid he just said stop bring him EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    I’m guessing that -1.4 WAR had something to do with him quitting.

9. unca_chuck said, on March 16, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Marquis Grissom quit during the season (2004?) as he was sucking hard.

Don’t remember what he left on the table.

10. ewisco said, on March 16, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Samardiza cruising until bang, 6 runs. Ouch. Not fooling them the second time around? Hitters look pretty good though. Pagan with a bonehead baserunning mistake.

11. Macdog said, on March 16, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Yep, thank whatever higher power that LaRoche turned down the Giants:

12. willedav said, on March 16, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Curry with 21 at the half GS up 16 on Melo and the Bricks.
    Monmouth scores 90 on Bucknell Bison, get G-W next.
    Iona vs. Cyclones, could be first team to 100 wins.
    Watched some of Beach vs. U-W last night where both went over 100. Huskies talented frosh Dejounte Murray went for 30 but game was won by senior G Andrews who knocked down all the critical FTs.

Dodgers report Ryu recovery is behind timetable and not going to be ready to pitch in May. Better hope Bolsinger is much improved.

13. Macdog said, on March 16, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Samardjwhatever got roughed up today, bu then, so did Iwakuma. And Pagan 3-3, 3 RBI and a double! Did he have anything other than a single last year?

14. zumiee said, on March 16, 2016 at 9:17 pm

The Warriors are slicing and dicing the Knicks like it’s a Ginsu Knife infomercial.

• snarkk said, on March 16, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Per listening to KNBR cast, Knicks played like they had some ladies of the evening ready and waiting after the game. Typical of why I have little interest in the NBA except for whatever game the Dubs are playing. Most of the NBA games, especially now with lots of teams out of the playoff picture, are like exhibitions. Guys collecting checks, nothing more…

• snarkk said, on March 16, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Bonds could probably DH right now, and be more than adequate. The dude was a savant when it came to recognizing AB situations, pitch count, and knowing the pitchers. He knew what was coming. So, when he got that one pitch in the count that was hitable, he smoked it…

• xoot said, on March 16, 2016 at 11:21 pm

One of the few times I saw him swing at an unhittable pitch — Bonds was within one of Ruth’s 714. The Giants were at the E Coli v the a’s. In the 9th Huston Street threw what may have been the best back foot sliders any pitcher has ever thrown. Swing through strike three. (Next day, watching the game on tv, I saw Barry tie the record in another game in Oakland.). I suspect Bonds really was over-amped that night he struck out. He rarely got out smarted.