Be Happy With What You Have

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 17, 2017

One thing that is nearly indisputable: the 2017 Giants (and you could probably say this about every Giants team over the last 8-10 years) can’t have a successful year if their pitching isn’t near the top of the league. Their offense just isn’t good enough to pick up the slack of bad pitching. Another nearly indisputable fact: our pitching has stunk this year.

These 4 guys have to bring it night in and night out: Bum, Cueto, Moore and Smarge. Forget the bullpen and Cain and whatever hologram Bochy decides to shine into left field on a given day. If those guys aren’t tossing better than a quality start each game, we are likely to lose.

And I really like all 4 of them if you consider what the rotation could look like. Bum is the only home grown guy and this is another illustration of how our minor league system is failing the team right now. They spent big money on Cueto and Smarge because the kids down below all flattened out. The strangely beloved Duffy was traded for Moore who wasn’t ever expected to be an ace but who needs to be a #3 because we NEEDED a #3. And in case you didn’t know, #3’s don’t fall out of trees. We can bitch about the consistency of Smarge and Moore but the reality is, they are our best options. Even if given the power of time travel, would you go back and not do those 3 deals and spend the $$$$ and Duffy on hitters and have Stratton, Crick, Blackburn and Cain getting blasted 4 out of every 5 days? We would easily lose 120 games if that was the team.

The pitchers in our minor league system, at least the last few years, did not pan out. It happens. Be happy with what we have. It could be so much worse.

1. zumiee said, on April 17, 2017 at 7:04 am

“If you can’t be with the one you love
    Then love the one you’re with
    Love the one you’re with”
    – Stephen Stills

2. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 7:05 am

The looks like the 1979 49ers. Playing just well enough to lose close games.

It’s early but signs point to a bad penny year. No be like to run away yet but we are once again being beaten by the dregs of the West. And until AZ and Colo actually do something, they are just that.

3. Bozo said, on April 17, 2017 at 8:03 am

After 12 games, we are tied for 8th in MLB for Runs scored (59). Unfortunately, we are tied for 7th in MLB for runs given up (60). We haven’t won any games by 1 run but have lost 4. We have 3 blown saves out of 5 save opportunities (Melancon, Law and Kontos each with 1 BS). Not a great model for success but it is only 12 games in.
    Going forward I expect to see the Pitching getting into a groove, I also expect to see LF worked out and and more productive hitters than Hill and Marrero on the bench.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2017 at 12:40 pm

I am with you, John. I was definitely optimistic going into the year, and thought things would be a sight better than what we have seen. And while the team is sucking early, I too feel that the pitching will gel, and they will figure-out LF. I still think this team can get it together and make some noise…I just hope it happens before the hole they need to dig out of is too deep…

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Dang Chuck, why didn’t you you tell me we played 14 games not 12? Thankfully, I must have been drunk for those other two games, but damn man, 4 games back with 148 left to play is going to be tough. Good thing we’re only 3 back for the Wild Card. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:37 pm

😂

4. willedav said, on April 17, 2017 at 8:27 am

According to B/R, Giants are 11th in ERA in league, 12th or worse in some other categories like hits and runs allowed. As James said end of last thread and Flav reiterates today, that ain’t gonna work.
    Smardz ERA is over 6.00, Moore at 4.26 Cueto at 3.79 Bum at 3.43.
    I think it is still good staff but these guys need to come around, pen guys Blach Law Kontos et al too.

Beede got lit up at high elevation Salt Lake in a game Sac won 12-10. Don’t know how to link it up but there is pretty good report daily on McCoveyChron site—not Brisbee’s column (which I don’t care for myself) but a minor league one that does Sac plus Richmond Augusta San Jose with box score/updated stats and brief rundown. Plus vid highlights of bombs, including 3 run double by Specs and line drive rocket HR by Slater. good stuff.

5. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:14 am

At some point this team needs to trade this abundance of infield talent for some outfield help.

But of course we trade whats-his-nuts for an infielder.

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 10:24 am

At one time not long ago Blackburn was supposedly a real prospect. Now he’s traded for a box of balls. Can we believe much about these minor league evaluations and hype?…

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2017 at 11:16 am

When Posey went down, Brown was on the DL so they had to make room on the 40 man roster for Federowicz. I think we were lucky to get any kind of trade for Blackburn once he was out there on the waiver wire.
      If Mac doesn’t get off the DL soon, they will have to do it again if they want to bring in another OFer. The only position players on the 40 man but not on the team are Brown, Mac, Specs and two high jersey # INF guys, Calixte and Gomez.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 4:03 pm

My bitch is that other teams don’t seem to worry about bringing up young guys to see how they do. We seem to resist at all costs.

6. Irish Kevin said, on April 17, 2017 at 11:53 am

The whole month of April has been against W teams except for these next two. I don’t think this team is as bad as th record shows. 12 games left in April, only 150 games left to right this ship, no problem.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Colo will not be a W team for much longer. That’s especially true for SD.

7. zumiee said, on April 17, 2017 at 11:54 am

From Cain’s draft and onward, the Giants have had a lot of great draft picks, which contributed greatly to the 3 championships, of course. But, at some point, the inability to draft a good outfielder was bound to hurt the team. And some recent misses on pitchers in the draft, too, have hurt. Blach looks legit, though; and we’ll see how Beede fares. Bullpen-wise, maybe Okert, Osich, Law, and Gearrin will make the next step in development. I’m doubtful Strickland is going to make that step, at this point.

8. zumiee said, on April 17, 2017 at 12:04 pm

A LOT of prospects from all 30 teams eventually fizzle out. That final leap from AAA to the bigs is such a huge chasm. The Giants have been great the last 15 years or so at drafting, EXCEPT that unbelievable drought at the outfield position. Couldn’t you literally give a monkey a dart and have him throw it each year at a draftboard, and do better at picking outfielders than the Giants have done? I’m totally serious.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Well, they couldn’t do worse. Isn’t their last drafted all star outfielder Chili Davis?

9. zumiee said, on April 17, 2017 at 3:14 pm

“Hey Giants scout, what are the most important things you look for in a young outfielder?”

10. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 4:01 pm

40 years ago in June 1977, the Giants drafted their last all-star outfielder, Chili Dog! I get that drafting is hit or miss, but that’s a shitload of missing.

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2017 at 4:19 pm

In the 2007 draft, we took Bum at #10, the Indians took OFer Matt LaPorta at #7. I’m good with not getting an OFer on that one….

11. alleykat69 said, on April 17, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Hard to figure talent sometimes.
    Wheeler&Alderson were both can’t miss,now nobody misses them now and we got some play out of Glass for a ring and Beltran who we didn’t..

12. snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Hard to argue with 3 champeenships. Also hard to argue that OFer development in the minors under Sabes has not been south of nonexistent. Now it’s finally biting the org in the ass…

13. snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 5:22 pm

If Arroyo is still raking at Sac after 100 ABs, I’d bring his ass up and play him wherever for 100 ABs. Shift the 40 as needed to accommodate, like Marrero gone. Shake this stuff up. If a guy is dominating at AAA, you have to bring him up for organization morale, if nothing else…

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Totally agree. Didn’t we have a pre-season thread about the team being boring?
      Well they are…

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Completely on board, but unfortunately, I doubt our brass pulls that trigger.

Arroyo:
        .471, .514, .647, 1.161

He has started three games at 2B, two at 3rd, and four at SS.

I would bring him up in a heartbeat!

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Absolutely agree, Chi. Bring his ass up, put his glove somewhere, because his bat fits anywhere…

14. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Nobody here seems terribly shook up over the loss of Parker…

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Opposing pitchers are…

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:48 pm

lulz

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2017 at 5:38 pm

It’s almost funny that in Spring Training the talk (me too) was of a Parker/Williamson platoon, and how many HRs they might hit this season.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:49 pm

That was most everyone’s vision….I still prefer the idea of Cespedes in LF…

15. pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Hey, DFS fans and playas (Magnus, Blade, several others): there’s a new book out, recommended by none other than Gay Talese, one of the pioneers of New journalism. It’s DUELING WITH KINGS: High Stakes, Killer Sharks, and the Get-Rich Promise of Daily Fantasy Sports by Daniel Barbarisi. It’s compared to Michael Lewis. (No, I haven’t read it.)

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2017 at 6:21 pm

I like the cover showing Ben Franklin in a football jersey and wearing eyeblack.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2017 at 7:00 pm

i’ve heard of it, supposedly got very good reviews.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2017 at 7:52 pm

yes . . . a comparison to Michael Lewis (Moneyball, The Big Short) can’t hurt

16. Flavor said, on April 17, 2017 at 8:16 pm

this is going to be a make or break stretch of 9 straight games: 2 in the AL (trust me, we do not want to be playing AL ball right now) and then we go to fucking Nepal and then get finished off with 4 v LA? We could easily go 1-8 over that stretch.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 17, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Sounds horrendous, but maybe it will be just what this team needs to gel, focus, get its shit together, whatever….

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Love your optimism, Paul. Pass me some of the Kool Aid.

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:59 pm

I like Paul’s take that maybe this should be Bochy’s last year. I don’t want to put words in Paul’s mouth, but that’s what I get from his takes. I know I’m like a broken record, but Bill Walsh said 10 years is about enough for a head coach, time to move on. Whether Bochy wins a WS or the team craps out, I really think it will be time for some new leadership in 2018, regardless of what his contract situation is…

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Well, if Bummie is the DH . . .

17. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I had no idea Jerry Jerk-off Jones and Patriots owner Robert Kraft are big investors in Draft Kings.

Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest. Or at least violation of whatever the arcane gambling rules are in the NFL.

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 9:52 pm

The only rule in the NFL is the Golden Rule…

18. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 10:10 pm

He who has the gold makes the rules.

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Exactly…

19. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2017 at 10:12 pm

And in more weird news . . .

Kyle Crick was hit in the head by a foul ball Sunday while sitting in the visiting dugout at Cashman Field in Las Vegas and sustained a concussion.

How many guys get nearly killed in dugouts in these AAA games? You’d think they would pay attention to the shit going on around them.

• djloo27 said, on April 18, 2017 at 4:58 am

Too bad K & K weren’t around to break out the always hilarious “ugly finder” line.
      It’s especially funny when a guy gets hit in the head…

20. djloo27 said, on April 18, 2017 at 5:09 am

Alejandro De Aza would be a much cheaper alternative to Angel Pagan…

21. theroooster said, on April 18, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Starling Marte on the juice:
    “In this very difficult moment I apologize to my family, the Pittsburgh Pirates, my teammates, my fans, and baseball in general,” Marte said. “Neglect and lack of knowledge have led me to this mistake with the high price to pay of being away from the field that I enjoy and love so much. With much embarrassment and helplessness, I ask for forgiveness for unintentionally disrespecting so many people who have trusted in my work and have supported me so much. I promise to learn the lesson that this ordeal has left me. God bless you.”

“Lack of knowledge” ??? My ass, he HAD to have known what he was putting in his body. What a cop-out.